test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[video] Guardian fighter

porcoblueporcoblue Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited September 2012 in General Discussion (PC)

Comments

• Options
    bardbarianbardbarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Just saw it. Very nice! I can't wait to play this game! :)
  • Options
    ezrasteel1ezrasteel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    Very very nice...my appetite has just been wet again!

Ezra Steel
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    Thats the kind of videos cryptic should do, about classes, races, game features, foundry, etc...

About the video.... well everytime i see a new video more i like the game :) Cnat wait to get my hands-on :D
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    macabrivs wrote: »
    Thats the kind of videos cryptic should do, about classes, races, game features, foundry, etc...

About the video.... well everytime i see a new video more i like the game :) Cnat wait to get my hands-on :D

I think it did a great job doing a simple 'this is what we're offering' explanation compared to the interview videos.

Don't get me wrong I love the interview videos and find them even more invaluable for information on the game as a whole but this was just perfectly concise and informative on the class itself. They really didn't give any new information but I still feel like I understand the system a lot better after watching that class spotlight.
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Awesome video. :) Next: Cleric!! :D Oh, wait... nevermind. Maybe rogue or wizard then? :)

Come on, beta. Even if I'm not in, begin!!! (and let us know that you began)
  • Options
    nimlohnimloh Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    Very cool. Well done Cryptic. I can't wait for more of these.
  • Options
    darkdaysx2darkdaysx2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    say what man im not gona play this game if we cant use 2 handed weapons
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Nice, would be great see more vids like this one for the other classes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    darkdaysx2 wrote: »
    say what man im not gona play this game if we cant use 2 handed weapons

There will be 2 handed weapons :)
  • Options
    ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    macabrivs wrote: »
    There will be 2 handed weapons :)

aye one of the mods stated he couldnt wait to show us the great weapon fighter
  • Options
    tagari84tagari84 Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2012
    *This is a copy-paste from the Fighter forums, I just posted this there and then I saw this thread*

Fighter seems a fun class to play, however I have some negative thoughts so far. Mostly because I saw an ability in a video where the Fighter grows in size. I think it's a daily power. Growing in size looks like a magical ability and not a martial one. And I saw in this trailer the ground slam ability with all these rocks emerging from the ground. Maybe it's just a visual effect and they are not meant to be actual rocks. But overall I have the fear that they will make a Fighter class with abilities that look "magical" in a way. Anyone else agrees?
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Nahh, it's just hyperbole.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    oh yes please more of these would be great.

Yes it says creates a fissue, but then throws up jagged rocks, I suppose just having a gap open up under the mob was not flashy enough, might be better as hitting the ground with shield creating a wave of force (dust)spreading outwards knocking them over.

Mind thats minor for me still looks great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • Options
    raelishraelish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    heh as a tank player in almost every mmo this video looks great, out of other mmos i played i would say the lancer from Tera was the most fun tank class thus far, this looks to rival it.
  • Options
    fascinofascino Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ok.. so this is cool and all that. Impressive even. But I don't care much. Guardian fighter... we've known that for ages. How about doing something radical, like... showing us something new???

I don't care about anything that has already been announced. That doesn't get me excited about the game.

Come on Cryptic. Throw us a bone here. How about a little more about other classes, character creation or whatever. Something new the forums could talk about.

Vires Animi
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    fascino wrote: »
    Ok.. so this is cool and all that. Impressive even. But I don't care much. Guardian fighter... we've known that for ages. How about doing something radical, like... showing us something new???

I don't care about anything that has already been announced. That doesn't get me excited about the game.

Come on Cryptic. Throw us a bone here. How about a little more about other classes, character creation or whatever. Something new the forums could talk about.

Vires Animi

You will probably see one every other week or so leading up to beta, it's standard practice.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    razorrxgdbrazorrxgdb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    While the video is cool, etc. What actually worries me is -

"The Guardian Fighter...", "His first Encounter ability ...", etc.

It seems like we will be picking hard locked classes and leveling will be automatic as well. I hope I hope I hope that is not true, but the video sounds like the classes are locked down as far as powers/feats.

Sure it says that you will have many feats/powers, but we know that as you level up you get additional encounter, daily, etc. powers. My fear is that hey are all chosen for you and your choice of what to use is based on what you have.

D&D should allow us to Gimp ourselves to death if we want.

I really hope I am wrong about it, but it sounds like skills/feats are chosen for you and your choice is pick "Two handed Fighter" or "Guardian Fighter", then the name does the rest.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    razorrxgdb wrote: »
    I really hope I am wrong about it, but it sounds like skills/feats are chosen for you and your choice is pick "Two handed Fighter" or "Guardian Fighter", then the name does the rest.

Someone took a screenshot at a con awhile back that showed an early "powers" window. It appears that you will get more powers then you can actually use. So it seems that we have the ability as a "Great Weapon Fighter" or "Guardian Fighter", etc, to make some powers selections, offering some customization for our characters.
  • Options
    razorrxgdbrazorrxgdb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    nimloh wrote: »
    Someone took a screenshot at a con awhile back that showed an early "powers" window. It appears that you will get more powers then you can actually use. So it seems that we have the ability as a "Great Weapon Fighter" or "Guardian Fighter", etc, to make some powers selections, offering some customization for our characters.

Well, again as you level up you get more daily, encounter, etc. powers. Your choice is which one you 'slot' but the powers could very well be auto-assigned to you as you level based upon your class choice. I hope not, but it sounds that way.
  • Options
    viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    razorrxgdb wrote: »
    Well, again as you level up you get more daily, encounter, etc. powers. Your choice is which one you 'slot' but the powers could very well be auto-assigned to you as you level based upon your class choice. I hope not, but it sounds that way.

Same here I'm hoping for a conventional D&D approach of getting a list of available (multiple) feats and picking what you want. Similar to DDO, and nothing like Lotro.....bleh!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    faleth77 wrote: »
    Same here I'm hoping for a conventional D&D approach of getting a list of available (multiple) feats and picking what you want. Similar to DDO, and nothing like Lotro.....bleh!

I think we all are. D&D has always had character customization and specialization as a key aspect and it could be argued that aspect is more iconic to being D&D than "kill the monsters, get the loot."
    Haha.

Although there's been no official confirmation CrypticMapolis has said that since their other games have such "robust" character creation we should expect similar from NW.
    So vague...yet so hopeful.
  • Options
    viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm not saying it will be a total deal breaker if character builds are mapped out for us, but it will definately affect my longevity of play in the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    singularitariansingularitarian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I've got to say, if they did this because they felt Fighters didn't have enough visual feedback and got lost in the effects of other classes, I'd much rather they tone down the other classes than do this to the Fighter. Whoo boy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I could without the special effects.

But other than those it's pretty much how I always figured a Fighter in action should actually look.

Nice!
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    faleth77 wrote: »
    I'm not saying it will be a total deal breaker if character builds are mapped out for us, but it will definately affect my longevity of play in the game.

Watching the powers tray the powers on the fighter changed from one scene to the next so my guess is there will be a few abilities to choose from for people based on the situation they are entering.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Watching the powers tray the powers on the fighter changed from one scene to the next so my guess is there will be a few abilities to choose from for people based on the situation they are entering.

It was more along the line of the ability to select different build options. You will get different basics, low cool down and daily attacks as you progress which can be switched around without a doubt.
    The real question is whther we'll be able to choose which abilities we get rather than be stuck in "Guardian Fighter gets these abilities at these levels, period."

That's the next big question we're all dieing to have answered.
  • Options
    surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It was more along the line of the ability to select different build options. You will get different basics, low cool down and daily attacks as you progress which can be switched around without a doubt.
    The real question is whther we'll be able to choose which abilities we get rather than be stuck in "Guardian Fighter gets these abilities at these levels, period."

... aka the Essentials Fighter... aka the suckage... aka "not subscribing"

Well Cleave and Tide Of Iron are pre-essentials At Will powers so there's some hope. Unfortunately they are also not the best of the mainstream 4e At Wills. Brash Strike and Dual Strike outshine them substantially. Well at least Tide Of Iron is somewhat decent.
  • Options
    tagari84tagari84 Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2012

Sadly I am not very optimistic about that. And I am saying that based in a video I watched. I am providing you with the link, go to 1:41 and check for yourself. It appears that you get specific abilities at a specific level and you don't seem to be able to pick from a pool of options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8vNMqSWF1aU#
  • Options
    ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/19/3357484/neverwinter-guardian-fighter

"Clever Fighters can even use the powers to corral foes into advantageous clusters, making them more easily dispatched by the other members of the team."
  • Options
    edited September 2012

We will be given powers as we level up (we've seen screens shots of this). You don't get a choose which powers you get. You only choose from the pool of powers that the game gives. This is the same as D&D 4E and any class-based game, except to degree--not every power in the pen-and-paper game is NW.

NW's powers system is streamlined. Unless Feat selection provides some actual powers, be prepared for less customization then you want.

(I don't know where the screenshots are located. I will look later after work when I have time.)