test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[video] Guardian fighter

2»

Comments

• ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
  • perdidurperdidur Member Posts: 67
    edited September 2012
    A bit too much flash and bang for a melee fighter imo but then I never play melee.
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    perdidur wrote: »
    A bit too much flash and bang for a melee fighter imo but then I never play melee.

I believe u will be able to change the settings for that.
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    According to what we know, theres some "static" powers, but as soon u reach a certain level u will have to pick a paragon path which will probably give us diferent powers depending on the paragon path u chose.

The main problem for me is about how much freedom we will have to play our guardian fighter (as an example).

We still dont have a clue how character creation will work, do we first pick a class and them chosse which role we will play ?? (i.e guardian fighter, 2 handed wep, ect...) Will cryptic "force" use to always use shield as off-hand when playing as a guardian fighter ? Geez we dont even know how freedon we will have to pick our own weapons.....

Beside we dont know much yet, i think cryptic make a mistake of "standrizing" the classes, i mean as soon u pick guardian fighter u will be "forced" to play the same role till u decide to make a new character and thats not rly the way MMO industry is going this days (look at raiderz and even wow pandaria)

Class customization will be the big flaw of neverwinter and with a very few choices of classes we have till now it rly can be a huge problem.

DOnt get me wrong, i cant wait to put my hands on neverwinter but im still worry about some cryptic decisions mostly about the classes.
  • tagari84tagari84 Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2012
    Nahh, it's just hyperbole.
    The rocks emerging from the ground can be considered as hyperbole. But what about the other daily power I saw where the Fighter grows in size? I think they went a bit far with that, it has a more "magical" nature in it rather than martial. :-)
  • razorrxgdbrazorrxgdb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    tagari84 wrote: »
    The rocks emerging from the ground can be considered as hyperbole. But what about the other daily power I saw where the Fighter grows in size? I think they went a bit far with that, it has a more "magical" nature in it rather than martial. :-)

Ever notice how a cat seems bigger when it fuzzes up its hair and bows its back?

Trickery I tell you! Trickery!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    razorrxgdb wrote: »
    Ever notice how a cat seems bigger when it fuzzes up its hair and bows its back?

Fear can be a powerful ally.
    Theatricality. Deception. Tricks of the eyes and tricks of the mind are not necessarily magical.
  • surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    nimloh wrote: »
    We will be given powers as we level up (we've seen screens shots of this). You don't get a choose which powers you get. You only choose from the pool of powers that the game gives. This is the same as D&D 4E and any class-based game, except to degree--not every power in the pen-and-paper game is NW.

NW's powers system is streamlined. Unless Feat selection provides some actual powers, be prepared for less customization then you want.

(I don't know where the screenshots are located. I will look later after work when I have time.)
    Sir, you either are missing the point or don't follow 4e very closely.

If Cryptic effectively only offer us Essentials classes then they remove all of the player's real mechanical character customization choices. No-one can convince me that choosing between two lousy utility powers every four levels represents real choice.

If they offer us real 4e classes then there must, absolutely must by fundamental 4e design principles, be a minimum of 2 builds per class. Each build must have a minimum of 2 at-will powers to choose from and at each new power selection there must be a minimum of two powers to choose from. That is for the absolutely minimal built core 4e classes. And players are generally very unhappy with such narrow builds.
  • tagari84tagari84 Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2012
    razorrxgdb wrote: »

I can't tell from your reply what is your opinion on the matter. Do you agree with me or you think I am over-reacting? :-)
  • nimlohnimloh Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    surf13 wrote: »

If Cryptic effectively only offer us Essentials classes then they remove all of the player's real mechanical character customization choices. No-one can convince me that choosing between two lousy utility powers every four levels represents real choice.

If they offer us real 4e classes then there must, absolutely must by fundamental 4e design principles, be a minimum of 2 builds per class. Each build must have a minimum of 2 at-will powers to choose from and at each new power selection there must be a minimum of two powers to choose from. That is for the absolutely minimal built core 4e classes. And players are generally very unhappy with such narrow builds.

My comment wasn't about advocating anything. I understand 4E and peoples concerns. I'm just being realistic about what we've seen.

Prepare to be unhappy with narrow builds. That's all I'm saying.
    edited September 2012
    Good to hear we are more or less on the same page.

And yes. From what I have heard so far I expect the minimum choices at each level *sigh* Sort of pseudo-essentials. I hope they aren't offering subscriptions because most of the 4e crowd won't buy into that... Although maybe microtransactions to unlock additional builds/power lines might be viable...
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

And yes. From what I have heard so far I expect the minimum choices at each level *sigh* Sort of pseudo-essentials. I hope they aren't offering subscriptions because most of the 4e crowd won't buy into that... Although maybe microtransactions to unlock additional builds/power lines might be viable...

But if we got two builds per class, would that be enough for the setup at launch for player satisfaction? We know we have the Guardian and Great Weapon Fighter Builds. It would be (pardon my strength of words for here) stupid for there to be two here and less or fewer elsewhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    But if we got two builds per class, would that be enough for the setup at launch for player satisfaction? We know we have the Guardian and Great Weapon Fighter Builds. It would be (pardon my strength of words for here) stupid for there to be two here and less or fewer elsewhere.
    If they follow the general PHB classes builds yes it'll be a satisfactory starting place, assuming we are talking about capturing thye interest of 4e player. As per my greenline...

As a starting place. To follow 4e later updates should add a couple more builds to each core class. And a liberal sprinkle of additions for existing builds.

Again, base on 4e and wanting to capture the interest of 4e players. I'm a 4e player and they have my interest, so I assume they want to keep that interest.
  • adamantium1adamantium1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I am hoping the two handed weapon warrior is a bit more martial compared with what i saw of the guardian fighter. Creating a fissure in the ground with his weapon? Really? I have never seen that ability for a warrior in DnD before.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I am hoping the two handed weapon warrior is a bit more martial compared with what i saw of the guardian fighter. Creating a fissure in the ground with his weapon? Really? I have never seen that ability for a warrior in DnD before.

Well, I have but not low-level.
    And yeah, that's more a high-level wizard earthquake kind of thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012

My bard had that ability. When he used to make jokes, people used to faceslam on ground. That created a lot of fissures.

Once he found an item which could amplify his voice and a whole city disappeared in a single night of comedy show...

I have heard that a very epic rogue had to risk his life to steal that item from him after drugging him to sleep.

But I wonder why his alignment never shifted from chaotic stupid...
  • enygmasoulenygmasoul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Granted, this IGN article
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/10/05/big-changes-to-cryptics-neverwinter
    is very old, dating back to October of last year, but at the time of that super-early coverage, it was implied that Cryptic's design plan was to offer actual content and game-play for free, while only charging for consumables, cosmetics, and vanity items.

One can only hope that as development continues to progress, they stick to their guns on this point, and do not succumb to pressure to implement such content as zones and class options as premium-only. Pressure I could, sadly, easily see coming from the people over at Perfect World.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use "
    -- Galileo Galilei