test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

More classes after launch?

sournote103sournote103 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited August 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
So I realize that at this point, the only classes known to be in the game are Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, and Wizard, but does anyone think Cryptic will add more classes after launch?
I guess the game can work with just one class for each role, but I feel like it would be more fun to have more options for classes.
Personally, I'd like it if they added at least one more class in each role, maybe Paladin or Swordmage for defender, Warlord for Leader, Ranger or Monk for Striker, and Psion for Controller? Ideally, I wish they would include all of the classes not published in a sourcebook for another campaign setting, but I know that's really not happening.
Basically, my ideal class list (other than all of them) would be:
Defenders - Fighter, Paladin, Swordmage, Warden
Strikers - Rogue, Ranger, Warlock, Barbarian
Leaders - Warlord, Bard, Ardent
Controllers - Wizard, Psion, Druid
Yes, I realize I left Cleric off that list. I did so intentionally because I feel that 4e clerics do not do their job.
So does anyone think they will add more classes? What classes would you like it if they added?
Post edited by sournote103 on

Comments

• vashthedrunkvashthedrunk Member Posts: 45
    edited July 2012
    It would be good if they add presteige classes that has to be unlocked through story, skills and feats.

There are so many differnt classes they could use from the DnD world they shouldn't run out of ideas.
  • qumi0qumi0 Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    There are no prestige classes - there are paths: heroic, paragorn and epic.

Well... I suppose the classic classes will be first to go: druid, bard, barbarian, paladin. Ranger is probably in the game already. Swordmage might be a fast addition as well since it's FR specific.
    edited July 2012
    qumi0 wrote: »
    There are no prestige classes - there are paths: heroic, paragorn and epic.

Well... I suppose the classic classes will be first to go: druid, bard, barbarian, paladin. Ranger is probably in the game already. Swordmage might be a fast addition as well since it's FR specific.

I'm not so familiar with 4e, does 4e no longer have prestige classes and only paths?
    edited July 2012
    Heroic path - your basic class, e.g. wizard.

Paragorn path - special features, abilities and spells, e.g. Shadowdancer, Swordwizard

Epic path - more advanced special features, etc., e.g. Archmage

Paths are not the same as prestige classes - they have less special abilities than prestige class, nevertheless they also add some things. Also - you can only have one heroic, paragorn, epic path. You can't be a Shadowdancer and Dark Assassin at the same time, or whatever the names are.
  • khoraxgatorkhoraxgator Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm not so familiar with 4e, does 4e no longer have prestige classes and only paths?

Sort of. Paragon Paths are unlocked at level 11. These Paths are often class-based and add new abilities and powers on top of an already existing class. These usually provide more focus towards a certain class build or can add thematic elements.

Multiclassing is also tied into Paragon Paths. Instead of taking a Paragon path, you can, instead, pick up a second class, assuming that you used feats to swap some of your powers for powers of the second class. This usually works best with classes that have similar ability focuses or similar roles.

Unlike Prestige classes, Paragon Paths do not remove you from your class. They're not 'another class', but additional features that are added on. You continue to progress in your original class as you normally would.

When you reach level 21, you can decide on an Epic Destiny. This is the penultimate goal of your character, and often provides heavy benefits. Epic Destinies are similar to Paragon Paths, but they usually have looser guidelines, and are less class based. These can be anything from becoming a legend told for centuries, to gaining godhood, to becoming a being of pure shadow. The final quest of an Epic Destiny is meant to be special, something personal to the character, as it usually means that it's the last quest for that character to achieve.
  • goofyerrgoofyerr Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Good to now that some people are posting the right questions, i mean it is an MMO after all no reason they can't find away to add those extra classes or race :p
  • aralixaralix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 45
    edited July 2012
    I would think that cryptic will have 4-6 classes at release and will add classes in the future, such as druid barbarian paladin and ranger
    Right now, we know of 4. I would be satisfied if they start with that and add 2-3 classes in the first year
    hopefully ranger and bard (not that I particularly look forward to these classes but the diversity they would bring to the game IS something i'd look forward to)

imo
    The truth will EAT you!
    328894f9-2005-4d27-a221-67ec37aa20f9_zpse7d8f150.jpg
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2012
    http://www.curse.com/news/neverwinte...ew-walkthrough

Sqez 2 min 57 sec top video
    "But You Could absolutely expect Maybe like A Great Weapon Fighter, or Archer ranger that comes out or a 2 bladed ranger that comes out a little bit later"

thats what ima thinkin
  • tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This is Cryptic we are talking about. Of course they will add new classes and races after launch.
    edited July 2012
    As far as the OP.. I do feel that they would not do the game justice by sticking with the four listed classes. I'm surprised that they didn't provide, at least, the classes in the core rulebook. I suppose they're afraid of confusing players, or wanting to make a lot of money, but I fear that it might backfire on them.

By providing too limited a class choice for Free to Play gamers, they're effectively stunting the number of people who will become interested in the game. I am hoping that they release at least one more class per role at launch as free to play, and then provide additional classes later. This will make the Free to Play game feel more 'whole' and less like an advanced demo.

I'm also concerned about the race list. Where's the dragonborn? Where's the eladrin?

The more I look at this, the less I see 4e and the more I see 'generic DnD'.
  • sournote103sournote103 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Oh good. So I'm not the only one worried bout the race list. I'm entirely underwhelmed by the choice in races as well, but that at least has a smaller impact on gameplay. But they should definitely have all of the PHB1 at launch. If I had my way, they would uncludea at least all of core at launch, but that's never going to happen.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,370 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm for more than 4 base classes but to some feedback I've seen too many classes creates balance issues when you are dealing with pvp though. From my experience what happens in most cases is the laziest thing happens as a fix where you have popular classes like rogue/thief/assassin being the class of choice and then it gets nerfed into oblivion and then never fixed. I would say start with 8 but not anymore than 12 just to make sure balance is there and that you do not build up a character just for it to end up nerfed so bad to the point of being useless.
    edited July 2012
    We actually know about 5: fighter, rogue, wizard, cleric and RANGER. Ranger was mentioned by devs in an old interview, but for some reason they are being silent about it, as if it didn't happen :P Ranger is most likely there since we have drow and probably will meet Drizzt in the game anyway...
    edited July 2012
    Oh, well if Ranger's there, then I'm good. I freaking LOVE playing Ranger. Though I still feel it would be more fun with more classes.
    I can't really comment on whether a large number of classes would unbalance PvP, as I have a particular distaste for PvP, and avoid it where possible, but I know I tend to spend more time playing games with larger numbers of races and classes. Honestly, if I'm looking at an MMO, and all it has are four classes, it had better have some other fantastic and amazing feature, or I'll probably decide it's not worth my time.
    edited July 2012
    I'm for more than 4 base classes but to some feedback I've seen too many classes creates balance issues when you are dealing with pvp though. From my experience what happens in most cases is the laziest thing happens as a fix where you have popular classes like rogue/thief/assassin being the class of choice and then it gets nerfed into oblivion and then never fixed. I would say start with 8 but not anymore than 12 just to make sure balance is there and that you do not build up a character just for it to end up nerfed so bad to the point of being useless.

:\ This game's focus isn't really going to be PvP. Generally speaking, if a game's focus isn't PvP, or PvP-related events, then it's not a good idea to use PvP as a measuring stick for what should/should not be. I understand players wanting to compete, but that's never been the focus of the Neverwinter Campaign setting, Neverwinter Nights, or Dungeons and Dragons. I understand that some players would like to see PvP elements in the game..

But I honestly do not see a true place for Arena-style PvP in this kind of game. It just.. doesn't look like the main focus for this game.
    edited July 2012
    I agree with post #16 Neverwinter and the DnD campaign setting isn't really pvp oriented, it is more pve and adventure.

I personally don't think games should balance the classes at all, the classes should be as powerful as they are suppose to be based on DnD, like in PnP campaign setting. Also differn't classes also have their differn't uses and skills that might be needed for adventuring.

If you want heavy PVP an no roleplay go play WoW, Warhammer Online, APB, BF3 or CoD or something.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2012
    Ranger will have to do there homework with and balance it out, rangers seem to always get nerfed after game release ie lotro,rift ect cos of there dps, i really hope they do it well, as to avoid that being cheated feeling from the start.
    So if they are working hard on the cleric i hope they spend as much time on the ranged ranger, then sort out the trickster rogue from the dual wielded ranger and set them apart from each other.
    edited July 2012
    well if they follow the PnP rules then there would be no issues with balancing or other bs of the like.
    like follow the 4e rules on hp and dmg table
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ryvvik wrote: »
    Ranger will have to do there homework with and balance it out, rangers seem to always get nerfed after game release ie lotro,rift ect cos of there dps, i really hope they do it well, as to avoid that being cheated feeling from the start.
    So if they are working hard on the cleric i hope they spend as much time on the ranged ranger, then sort out the trickster rogue from the dual wielded ranger and set them apart from each other.

That may be because auto-targetting gives unfair advantage to rangers. However NW does not have any auto target. So it would be like 3rd person shooter. Hence that unfair advanteg wont apply for rangers in nw.
    edited July 2012
    well if they follow the PnP rules then there would be no issues with balancing or other bs of the like.
    like follow the 4e rules on hp and dmg table

Ha! You think fourthcore is BALANCED. Cute.
    But really, 4e is just as unbalanced as any other edition. Most classes have at least one way to make them brutally efficient, and countless ways to make them fail spectacularly. But a well-made ranger almost always trumps an equally-well-made rogue, a well-made warden easily trumps any other defender EVER except for a couple fighter builds, etc. And essentials just worsens the issue. 4e is NEVER going to be balanced, and anyone who plays it is just going to have to accept that.

Furthermore, fourthcore assumes that each class will be working in a party, but MMO developers have to consider the high possibility of soloing. Now, a Defender has a fair chance of soloing well, particularly a fighter, which has high DPR for a Defender, and a Striker with really good AC or mobility (read: Ranger), or possibly even one that simply has high enough stealth, MIGHT be able to solo. A controller or a leader, however, is NEVER going to solo ANYTHING in PnP fourthcore. Leaders exist to heal and buff up the striker for maximum damage. Controllers exist to keep conditions ideal for the striker. A Leader may be able to improve his or her longevity, but not enough to keep up with the fact that they won't be doing close to enough damage to kill off enemies. And a controller is just screwed unless they can get a surprise round on a horde of minions. A controller can't kill a single enemy easily. A controller can only bomb large groups, so if you hit one really strong enemy, the controller's preference for groups combined with the controller's abysmal HP will equal one dead controller and one living enemy.

So they really can't just "follow the PnP rules," as that would mean that NO ONE would play a Controller, which is a problem enough in PnP as it is even with people knowing they'll have a full party. Also, this would likely lead to an overabundance of Defenders, and, while a lot of meatshields sounds good, in PnP, they'd keep stepping on eachother's toes by superseding eachother's marks.
    So, it's really not as simple as just converting fourthcore to a digital format.
    edited July 2012
    Ha! You think fourthcore is BALANCED. Cute.
    But really, 4e is just as unbalanced as any other edition. Most classes have at least one way to make them brutally efficient, and countless ways to make them fail spectacularly. But a well-made ranger almost always trumps an equally-well-made rogue, a well-made warden easily trumps any other defender EVER except for a couple fighter builds, etc. And essentials just worsens the issue. 4e is NEVER going to be balanced, and anyone who plays it is just going to have to accept that.

Furthermore, fourthcore assumes that each class will be working in a party, but MMO developers have to consider the high possibility of soloing. Now, a Defender has a fair chance of soloing well, particularly a fighter, which has high DPR for a Defender, and a Striker with really good AC or mobility (read: Ranger), or possibly even one that simply has high enough stealth, MIGHT be able to solo. A controller or a leader, however, is NEVER going to solo ANYTHING in PnP fourthcore. Leaders exist to heal and buff up the striker for maximum damage. Controllers exist to keep conditions ideal for the striker. A Leader may be able to improve his or her longevity, but not enough to keep up with the fact that they won't be doing close to enough damage to kill off enemies. And a controller is just screwed unless they can get a surprise round on a horde of minions. A controller can't kill a single enemy easily. A controller can only bomb large groups, so if you hit one really strong enemy, the controller's preference for groups combined with the controller's abysmal HP will equal one dead controller and one living enemy.

So they really can't just "follow the PnP rules," as that would mean that NO ONE would play a Controller, which is a problem enough in PnP as it is even with people knowing they'll have a full party. Also, this would likely lead to an overabundance of Defenders, and, while a lot of meatshields sounds good, in PnP, they'd keep stepping on eachother's toes by superseding eachother's marks.
    So, it's really not as simple as just converting fourthcore to a digital format.

Personally, I agree with this, however, I think that out of all the editions, 4e (minus Essentials) has the most balance between classes. It also has the best character presence in combat of any of the edition. Honestly, for what each class does, there is a way to make them outright brutally efficient. Wardens do not necessarily outclass Fighters in terms of single-targets, Clerics -are- the best healers (if nothing else), etc etc.. This is because these classes have options that focus solely on that role.

That being said, I'm not going to say that it's balanced, but I am going to say that a person playing a non-essential 4e character is unlikely to be overshadowed by his teammates, at any level.

This leads us to the team element. Soloing in 4e is not really possible. Defenders and Strikers are the best bet at soloing, but they're going to be jonesing for those healers, and the GM likely will only have one to three opponent encounters. Basically, DnD is a team game.
    edited July 2012
    yeah some classes will just have to live with the fact that they cant solo well. i personally prefer team combat over soloing

sorry i was missleading with the balanced thing. i mean that everything was right and fair.
    edited July 2012
    Actually there is some truth in the statement that 4e is balanced. All the classes have similar powers, they do have speciality and roles but they are quite close to each other when doing stuff. Some classes have more solo power while some have more support power.

However, comparing pnp to MMO is not the right thing to do. 4e is criticised because it is more closer to MMO format than other games. Hence it is easy to convert its mechanics to an MMO. Also it is much easier to nerf or empower classes using 4e rules.

Also, there are some new ideas in this game. Like using utility to make a dodge, using manual tragetting etc. This would mean that solo-ing etc would depend on your practise with a particular class and manual skills rather than classes or builds. A bad build may need to dodge more and thus take more time than a good build but eventually it will depend on controller skills if you can solo or not.
  • chovihanochovihano Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My dream list of classes would include a balanced list of roles and power sources.

Roles: Controller, Defender, Leader, Striker
    Sources: Arcane, Divine, Martial, Primal

Classes
    Controllers: Wizard, Invoker, Hunter*, Druid
    Defenders: Swordmage, Paladin, Fighter, Warden
    Leaders: Bard, Cleric, Warlord, Shaman
    Strikers: Warlock, Avenger, Ranger* or Rogue, Barbarian

* When I first got into 4e I thought that the Ranger should have been a Martial Controller because there wasn't one at the time.

The addition of the Psionic power source and four more classes would be a cool part of an expansion.

Psionic: Psion, Battlemind, Ardent, Monk

I'm like Dr. Silverback.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Um...because we are both gorillas and stuff.
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2012

the d&d is such a vast universe the options are countless
  • fungus6fungus6 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Taking a wild guess.

All the classes at launch will be free.

the rest will cost real money.

That is good and bad.

Bad....get out your credit card
    Good, since it will make them money, they have a really good
    reason to get them out quickly.
  • endingdawnendingdawn Member Posts: 61
    edited July 2012
    Heres a question for thought you guys. Why would you get to start out with such a class. Maybe the dev team will plan to make it a build up game. Starting at base classes like the 4 they have revealed already and then as you level up or more time passes(Which ever it is) Your class changes depending on the way the character acts during interactions. An example could be Rangers. In lore they are goodly protectors that guard the country side. You can exactly be a total D*ckw**d to others around you and still be a Ranger, since most often Rangers follow the goddess Meilikka or some other Nature deity.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2012
    I know my first class will definitely be a whatever Wizard is offered. I hope that we'll be eventually able to have Multiclass Wizard/Rogue, Wizard/Cleric, or even Wizard/Rogue/Cleric type character(s). I am not sure if NWO will have the 4e Multiclass Feats or not. Additionally, I really want to play a Druid as well as love pure Rogues. I'm not too keen on playing pure (non-Druid) Clerics unless they were a Specialty Cleric (e.g. Mystryls Arcane Age "Dweomerkeeper"). I do enjoy playing them as an NPC though when I DM my campaign. I do love me some righteous Paladins though, both as a DM and PC.

Excerpts: Multiclassing - This is the best Official online info about Multiclassing in 4th Edition that I could find without quoting pages of the 4th Edition Players Handbook. Here is the opening paragraph though to the section on Multiclassing, in the 4e "Arcane, Divine, and Martial Heroes, Deluxe Edition of the Player's Handbook":
    Multiclass feats allow you to dabble in the class features and powers of another class. You might be a fighter who dips his toe into wizardry, or a warlock who wants a smattering of rogue abilities. Each class has a class-specific multiclass feat that gives you access to features from that class.

Since Elminster used to be the epitome of Multiclass Characters (He was revealed at one point as being a Fighter/Rogue/Cleric/Mage/Psionic), I wonder what his 4e Stats are now. Sadly, one of the major things that lack for DMs in resources are stats of many of the major NPCs. Why this is, I have no clue.
    edited July 2012
    endingdawn wrote: »
    Heres a question for thought you guys. Why would you get to start out with such a class. Maybe the dev team will plan to make it a build up game. Starting at base classes like the 4 they have revealed already and then as you level up or more time passes(Which ever it is) Your class changes depending on the way the character acts during interactions. An example could be Rangers. In lore they are goodly protectors that guard the country side. You can exactly be a total D*ckw**d to others around you and still be a Ranger, since most often Rangers follow the goddess Meilikka or some other Nature deity.

Multiclassing really doesn't act this way in 4e, but.. it would be interesting if they went this route. Generally I frown on such things, because if they were to offer up multiple class selections, I'd like to know about them upfront, and be able to play the class I like. Classes in 4e play differently from one another. They don't 'build' like that, where one class is just a more complex version of another.
    edited July 2012
    Multiclassing really doesn't act this way in 4e, ...

Actually we all should be more specific when referring to multiclass now as what used to be multiclass in 3e is more similar to hybrid characters; while multiclass in 4e means something else. So there are two ways to customise your class:- one way to hybrid two classes or to multiclass the powers in your class.