test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No Eladrin?

2»

Comments

• shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    A female dwarf? Some of them shave and that doesn't seem as slim and small as a halfling. Plus it would be nuts to have them as playable in a video while not announcing them. XD
  • aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    shiaika wrote: »
    A female dwarf? Some of them shave and that doesn't seem as slim and small as a halfling. Plus it would be nuts to have them as playable in a video while not announcing them. XD

Maybe she's too slender to be a dwarf, but also looks to tall to be a halfling. In other Cryptic games, can you adjust height and girth during character creation? LOTRO allowed you to be tall or short during character creation. Maybe she's just a short human? She's obviously an archer type because she shows up again at 0:23 outside the door waiting to fire off an arrow.
  • ian20120505ian20120505 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012

Developer Craig Zinkievich said there will be halfling:

MT: And races?

CZ: We'd be hard-pressed to ship a Neverwinter game without your half-elves, elves, drow, halflings, dwarves, humans, and tieflings.

Source
    edited May 2012
    That was a great didbit of info. I don't know how I missed that. Although, he doesn't say anything about what "other" races may be included at launch. Just that they would be hard press not to have these standards included.
    edited May 2012
    Watching these videos again, I'm very impressed with the graphics of this game. Character toons look far more realistic then in DDO somehow. And the armor looks quite detailed. Not to mention you get to see cloaks and weapons on character backs. That's just such a nice bonus. It's D&D after all, and players spend loads of time visualizing their characters. It's so nice to see this level of character detail.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2012

Developer Craig Zinkievich said there will be halfling:

Source

I rejoiced over this as I prefer playing Half Elf Rangers
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • dailonihildailonihil Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I dare say that's a dwarf, not a halfling :)
  • singularitariansingularitarian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I rejoiced over this as I prefer playing Half Elf Rangers
    Did you mean halfling? Half-elves are already on the races page.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    dailonihil wrote: »
    I dare say that's a dwarf, not a halfling :)

yup, thats a female dwarf
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    It's nice there is going to be a variety of races. From the teaser videos so far I like the art style a lot. The color palette looks really nice so far.

I'm not a huge fan of the character art in DDO. I understand it's stylized, but the characters all look ugly with horrible skin tones.
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    torskaldr wrote: »
    It's nice there is going to be a variety of races. From the teaser videos so far I like the art style a lot. The color palette looks really nice so far.

I'm not a huge fan of the character art in DDO. I understand it's stylized, but the characters all look ugly with horrible skin tones.

Ugh... don't remind me. I hated the facial hair, felt like a Mr Potatoe Head with how the facial hair was applied.. bulky, out of place in a sense. Course in NWO the Drow thief demo showoff felt way to gawky though with the limbs. Arms looked weird to me and the legs looked like all bone no flesh.
  • foxybatfoxybat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    The races part of the website doesn't mention halflings, and we've never seen one in videos. So I'm not feeling all that confident at the moment.
  • singularitariansingularitarian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Course in NWO the Drow thief demo showoff felt way to gawky though with the limbs. Arms looked weird to me and the legs looked like all bone no flesh.
    This drow? I don't see what you mean about the legs. Maybe at the knees.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    The summary version here: The limited co-op version had the base races and classes linked to one another. So Elf had ranger, etc. This may have been expanded somewhat in MMO reworkings, but that limitation explains the class-race limits available for the new gold release as other races and classes may be more difficult to code if done from nothing than from a modification. When the "other" races and classes come out could be from a few months to the "soon" of six years for the "Base druid class" when looking at post-core releases games like DDO.

Now my more detailed info below:

I'm a fan of the Wizard class, so not seeing the (former Grey elves now) Eladrin at launch saddens me. Whether you like the eyes or not I can understand, but after four years I got used to Eladrin Wizard as much as dwarf fighter.

I also have no idea how elf will be done in game as the race's "re-roll" power once an encounter seems off if we're using reticle to determine our attacks.

I may consider Tiefling for the race but darn it, I wanted a race beyond all these where wisdom was my secondary stat after Int without having to take human by default and have only one stat bump (and a Githzerai, Hamadryad, Shardmind [IMO completely inappropriate for the FR it being a crystalline entity from a gate guarding the Far Realm nothing to do with FR and more to do with Ioun and Psionics,] and the previously mentioned Deva plus Shadar-kai worked nicely for those stats.)

As for "Where did Dragonborn come from?" Yes they were the reincarnation of human-dragons in 3rd ed.

In 4th ed's Points of Light main books set, they came from an ancient empire fallen that fought against humans who made a deal with the devils and turned into Tieflings. The tiefling empire also fell the two empires destroying each other.

In the FR world however, dragonborn mainly came from Abeir (as in Abeir-Toril) another planet which swapped continents with Toril (and is called returned Abeir on Toril.) This happened around the time of the Spellplague and second godswar thanks to Ao stopping a dual planetary mutually assured destruction collision.

I too am not a fan of the Deva look, and always thought 3e Assimir were played literally too holier than thou races at times (and almost always saw paladin linked to them due to favored classes.) I have played Drow since 3e regularly so I can't make an opinion without sounding biased. Personally I loved the Drow Eberron history back-story even better when it came to explain their wandering status. But Eberron is a whole other thing like warforged and I'm not going into either here in more detail. I'd rather see the older core races be ready at launch if a retooling is done like halfling.

So in conclusion, I do hope to see Eladrin as well as a Int/wiz race, FR Dragonborn were planet swapped in 4e and other "weird" races depend on how the origin is handled and rare races shouldn't be overrun when the old core races are still missing at launch (yeah halfling, where are ya?)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]