test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Games to pass time till Neverwinter?

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2012
    There was one D&D 4e game released by Atari, Daggerdale. Absolutely positively avoid it. I'll leave it at that and if anybody wants to search why, fine.
    edited April 2012
    There was one D&D 4e game released by Atari, Daggerdale. Absolutely positively avoid it. I'll leave it at that and if anybody wants to search why, fine.

Ah yes... too late for me I guess...

BTW: It feels like decade old 3D games when they were at infancy ... but worse as it is unpolished.
    edited April 2012
    gillrmn wrote:
    Ah yes... too late for me I guess...

BTW: It feels like decade old 3D games when they were at infancy ... but worse as it is unpolished.

Did you...need a hug?

*invokes "what happens in Daggerdale stays in Daggerdale*
    edited April 2012

OMG talk about a nightmare! I played it for about 30mins then uninstalled it. Really couldn't stand how the NPC's just kinda mumbled when they talked to you and made no sense lol.
    edited April 2012
    Break-Out wrote: »
    I am thinking of buying NWN, or NWN2, or just playing DDO to pass the time. Any recommendations? I have played DDO before, but didn't really get past the starter area. Haven't played the other two at all.

For sure! You can get them dirt cheap then mod the heck outta NWN because it is an old game. NWN2 controls take some time to get used too so you'll need patience because it's that bad,but otherwise it's really good also. I'd compare NWN2 to Dragon age in game play for pc.

Here's a link for NWN mods that I found helpful to save you some time.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/199/index/3275241
    edited April 2012
    Went retro and played Planescape: Torment with a lot of the updated patches that came out the last decade. See why it's considered one of the best D&D computer games ever and it's pretty darn unique and almost nothing like the typical 2nd ed game system it was made for then. Go Sigil!

Look up Good Old Games to download the classic game if interested.

That games next on my list if I can find time to fit it in before D3.
    edited April 2012
    Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited April 2012
    I was actually considering digging out the old TI99 to fire up Tunnels of Doom, the PONG of RPG games. I don't know if I still have a cassette tape here that was used as a drive...Baby we have come a long way!

TunnelsofDoom1982.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Reinstalled both NwN and NwN2. Dragon Age, Dragon Age 2, ME, ME2, Drakensang are all good games to pass the time.

I'm in Guild Wars 2 Beta this weekend, so definitely doing that. I also sub to SW:Tor and am a VIP life timer of LOTRO, so I definitely have some alternatives, including the original Guild Wars which I want to finish all of the accomplishments for GW2.

Currently though I'm more focused on a human rogue in NwN Hordes of the Underdark. Just in that first Undermountain area I'm having a ton of fun, great damage and finding a lot of hidden doors I never found before in my original Fighter class play through.... They don't make games like HOTU anymore... *sigh*
    edited April 2012
    GW2 open beta

SW.TOR
    edited April 2012
    I've been old school recently, FF8/9/10/12, Tomba 2, Pokemon Silver, NwN Campaign, then a bit of Skyrim, DDO, DA2 etc etc
    edited April 2012
    For sure! You can get them dirt cheap then mod the heck outta NWN because it is an old game. NWN2 controls take some time to get used too so you'll need patience because it's that bad,but otherwise it's really good also. I'd compare NWN2 to Dragon age in game play for pc.

Here's a link for NWN mods that I found helpful to save you some time.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/199/index/3275241

Thanks to everyone that responded. I knew there was no video games out based on 4e, except Daggerdale that I have read was really bad. PnP is not an option, so I won't buy any of the books from WoC at this time, although I would like to see what 4e is all about. I haven't played in PnP D&D since 2e, so I know a lot has changed.

mrbuttflakes, you stated that the controls for NWN2 is bad. Is that the game controls or the modding controls? I had heard that the base game was good, but the main beef with NWN2 with the community was the modding tools were not as robust. Is this correct?

Thanks to all that answered once again!
    edited April 2012
    Break-Out wrote: »
    ... you stated that the controls for NWN2 is bad. Is that the game controls or the modding controls? ...

I think he meant game controls. It follows hybrid system of mouse and keyboard for rotation and camera controls - Its good that NWO will have better controls - but its ok(not good but ok) once you get used to it. Modding toolset was less flexible compared to NWN1.

The game itself was good but initially had bugs which were sorted out with patches. It had castle building too. But user genrated content never was as much as NWN1 because of inflexible toolset (but enough compared to any other game).

After all patches, game is very nice and playable, with immersive story.

EDIT: btw, it feels like turn based and NWO combat would be more active. So combat would be quite different than NWO. NWN PW is more like an MMO.
    edited April 2012
    silverspar wrote: »
    Ewww. Why would you want Twilight for nerds?

Why should it bother YOU what SOMEONE ELSE is interested in? To each, his or her own.
    edited May 2012
    Currently playing:

Neverwinter Nights 2-3rd time OC
    Witcher 2
    Titans Quest & expansion
    Dead Space 2

I was going thru my old games and was really close to loading Temple of Elemental Evil again. Already played thru it twice. Loved that game.

Thinking of getting Confrontation but reviews aren't all that so think i will wait for it to come down in price abit, but will most likely pick it up. Tactical/strategic rpg's are right down my lane and usually buy games that I really want anyway. If i listened to all the bad reviews and upset peeps I would have missed out on ToEE and NwN 2 and a ton of other games.
    edited May 2012
    jeff28 wrote: »
    Witcher 2

How is Witcher 2? I was toying with the idea of picking it up but don't want to if it's nay good, and I don't trust critic reviews :P
  • tharartharar Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    How is Witcher 2? I was toying with the idea of picking it up but don't want to if it's nay good, and I don't trust critic reviews :P

Depends on what's your cup of tea. I'd say it's the best RPG that's been out in years. That said, it is a hard game (well hard for normal gamers). I like a good challenge so I played it on the hardest game mode (well second to hardest. The very hardest is a perma-death mode) and definitely found it to be challenging; even at rare times being "cheap" hard where you pretty much are guaranteed to fail the first time doing it. It has easier modes, though I can't say how easy it gets (since I never use/play those game modes) but overall I'd say it's probably still a hard game. The difficulty can be changed back and forth at any time if certain parts are too hard though (not for certain how it works if you choose the perma-death mode). Overall, it's a game that rewards you for smart thinking and penalizes you for being dumb (so kinda like dark souls).

On the RPG side of things it doesn't let down either. There is plenty of customization for pretty much everything (your character, his equipment, spells, items, etc). They've written an excellent story that WILL require a minimum of 2 play throughs to see almost all the content. So while people complain about how some of the acts (mostly the final 1) are so "short" the game will take up more than enough time to play through (I did pretty much all (missed 1) the quests in my first play through at around 20+ hours) and is by no means a short game.

Plus, it doesn't hurt the devs are actually good people; they've been constantly releasing free DLC that has done a lot to help newer players (with a tutorial mode, arena mode, etc) as well as their more hardcore fans (by adding in hours of new content, new difficulty modes, etc) and are essentially giving away a free DRM-free copy of the game at GOG.com (with all the limited edition goodies like soundtrack, pics, manuals, maps, making of videos, etc) regardless of where you might have purchased the game (I bought it off Amazon).

Of course, I'm talking about the PC version, I'm not sure how easily they'll be able to release free DLC for the xbox versions in the future (if they release more content); but if you have a computer that can run it i'd definitely get the PC version. Oh, and the graphics are top-notch as well if that's your kinda thing.
  • slypdiskslypdisk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Ahh sounds like a good one, might pick it up and see how it goes, thanks for the nice review :)
  • singularitariansingularitarian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Minecraft, Skyrim and Star Trek Online for me...
    These same three for me, as well. You're a good man.

Although I also just picked up Legend of Grimrock and have been waist-deep in that for a few days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    Just bought Witcher 2 a few days ago and having a good time with it, nice gritty game with some hard beginning combat. Needed something to tide me over and just couldn't play any MMOs after the GW2 Weekend Beta event. Gawd I hope GW2 get released something during the summer and not till the fall.
  • geologistsrockgeologistsrock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I'm currently playing Forsaken World, which is another PWE MMO. I really like it, and I'm hoping I can maybe juggle two games when Neverwinter comes out. We'll see...
  • slypdiskslypdisk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Just started playing FF12 again, forgot how good it was (the last decent FF IMO)
  • ineluki44ineluki44 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I am playing Dark Souls on my PS3
  • jade0199jade0199 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Skyrim ....Diablo3....GuildWar2...
  • lsyalsya Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I have a lifetime for CO, STO, LOTRO, and TSW (The Secret World); they keep me busy. I will most like be spending most of my time in TSW though.
    L'sya Raiya
  • vastanovastano Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    probably keep playing ddo here and diablo 3
  • exitghost342exitghost342 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Anyone have suggestions for a f2p MMO or a single player game that would be free to download off of the internet? Preferably D&D based, and other than DDO (:
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I'm currently playing Forsaken World, which is another PWE MMO. I really like it, and I'm hoping I can maybe juggle two games when Neverwinter comes out. We'll see...

My daughter currently plays Forsaken World and she really likes it....the world looks really well done, my problem is even the males look like females and wear some of the most effeminate clothes I have ever seen.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I'm subscribed to RIFT and EQ2 and just started playing STO. I'm having a lot more fun with Star Trek than I thought I would.
  • tuukkasalonentuukkasalonen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    For some reason i liked FF13 more than FF12...I just dislike Vaan

(And i didn't really enjoy FW either :/ )
    I am inactive and I know it