test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Requesting an option to disable the red dot from the icon bar

pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
This red dot is presumably intended to convey some information? But it just sits there, on EVERY character on the account, giving no useful information and only going away when you call up and dismiss the home screen. I would very much like the ability to disable it for all characters on an account after clearing it once. Additionally, it might be good to consider replacing it with actual information.

"We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother

Comments

• Options
    rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    It's a new feature designed to tell you that there is news in the L page for you to take notice of, like an alert. Patch notes and updates etc. As soon as you load the page it disappears.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • Options
    Maybe it should be changed so that it registers you have read the update on one character and it then goes away account-wide, that would make sense. But sense is not that plentiful these days.
  • Options
    That page loads as soon as you enter the game on any character. The notification only shows up for every other character. The feature tells you nothing anyway. It's a red dot and nothing on the 'Home Page' is specifically showing for that red dot. Certainly the THREE times I've had to clear this out on EVERY character, nothing indicated to me exactly what I was supposed to be looking at.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    I find it useful in that when I see it I know something is new on the home page so I go and look, but I find it annoying that it's on every character when I have already seen it. I'm from the school of "we need more info ingame instead of going externally to find it" so I kind of support this new thing. I used to suggest that when the notice boards for foundry were there (where the stables are now), we could click them and get info on updates and other game issues and have info ingame at a click, so this is a step in the right direction. But the implementation is a bit off.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User

I find it useful in that when I see it I know something is new on the home page so I go and look, but I find it annoying that it's on every character when I have already seen it. I'm from the school of "we need more info ingame instead of going externally to find it" so I kind of support this new thing.

All you need to do is click the Square where the post appears, don't even need to click the URL or LINK to view it; then as soon as you close it the Red (Dot) will disappear--assuming you've already viewed it on another character. :)

Still yes it is a nice feature they show this in client, they do this per character as Reward Claims will show new character's items that may not have been fully claimed by that individual.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    This feature gets more annoying. I could have sworn I'd cleared out all the red dots by yesterday and found two more characters today with them. This is beyond irritating. There needs to be a way of opting out, account wide. I never want to see this red dot again.

ETA loading a saved UI file was what caused the dot to return on some characters. I've overwritten that save and it stopped doing that, for now. If the next time they update the home page and it sets the dot on that saved UI file again, that will be annoying.
    Post edited by pitshade on
  • Options
    The red dot is back again today, because apparently I need to somehow acknowledge on every character on my account, how to purchase an Ash Fishing Pole. This is apparently an extremely important announcement for every character, even those that have had the epic poles for years.

Every... Character.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,238 Arc User
    Just tap 'LL' and be done with it.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    I am.... but I shouldn't have to on every character.
  • Options
    The system knows very well when u have something already claimed on another character and can't be done on any others, so there's really no excuse.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited December 2022
    pitshade said:

I am.... but I shouldn't have to on every character.

While I understand 'some' have far more than 9 Character's, some have perhaps 15, 20, 25, maybe even 35, 45, or 55+.

I think the "core" of the concern stems from that fact. I'd suspect I'd just visually ignore this little Red Dot, as the issue is Announcements Flashes on every character; and this is separate from Character Reclaim Rewards, or at least in an ideal world should be.

Just tap 'LL' and be done with it.

Still this maybe a viable work-around, till they 'tweak' the Red-Dot announcement acknowledgement Account-wide.
    pitshade said:

This red dot is presumably intended to convey some information? ... I would very much like the ability to disable it for all characters on an account after clearing it once.

Still I like it when I see the Announcement Dot, just wished it was a more calming color to get attention! :o

--- ♫♪♫♪♪♪♪ --- ♫♪♫♪♪ -- ♫♪♫ -- ♫♪♫♪♪ -- ♫♪♫♪♪ -----------
    Note: DeepSkyBlue is a visually a calming effect, so is CornFlowerBlue to denote attention. :+1:
    they "might" be able to reconsider Announcements by Account, & keep Reward's Claim by Character; different icon's &/or features.

"The calming effect of the color blue Short-wavelength colors, such as blue, decrease the heart rate, lower blood pressure and reduce anxiety. As a result, we start experiencing peace, calmness, tranquility and serenity. Blue makes us feel relaxed, comfortable, and less stressed."
    &
    "Effects of the Color Pink Calming: Pink calms our emotional energies. Non-threatening: Pink lacks any aggression or anger, although the deeper pinks can be more assertive and confident."
    -----------

Still overall I think this is a wonderful improvement they've added! Hitting LL, or L once and tapping the announcement window; even without clicking the link will clear it!

Thank You! <3

----
    @nitocris83
    @percemer
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • Options
    And the red dot showed up again today.
  • Options
    This dot is back again on every character.
  • Options
    It was because it was telling people about the preview shard.
  • Options
    And this is somehow important to tell each and every character on an account, like I'm supposed to read it multiple times?
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,238 Arc User
    I would request the red dot is gone after the "account" accessed the information the first time.
    No, I don't want an option to disable it. I want the mechanism to be account wide instead of character base.
    These days I basically "ignore" the red dot (not willingly but basic human behaviour) because I have many characters. The red dot becomes a 'standard' background and that defeats the purpose to make me to aware of the notification.
    I would just type 'll' without thinking and do not pay attention to the notification because I assumed (that could be wrong) I read that already.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    I made a workaround yesterday. Since I normally use an Alias for character select, I made a new one that also loads the UI. Just had to clear one character and save the UI there. Only nuisance is that it also clears their favorite workshop recipes.