test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

M21: Invisible PCs, NPCs, and Mobs

thomasisalonethomasisalone Member Posts: 78 Arc User
edited July 2021 in Bug Reports (PC)
Since the update players, npcs, and mobs have started becoming invisible, even if you're standing right on top of them. These are points I've noticed about them to help with identifying the problem, but I'm not sure how to recreate it as it is only happening to some players and not others:

- The character models of PCs, NPCs, and certain enemies are not visible.
- For enemies, it seems to be mob types/models that more likely to be invisible (e.g. in a ME I found Theurges were invisible whereas Duegar Miners were visible. Additionally the male-model for Deathlock Wights in MEs are invisible, while the female-models are visible).
- While the models are invisible, the effects on them are, e.g. the fire on the Theurges, or the frost effect from applying chill stacks.
- The models tend to appear when the character dies.
- Even if your standing right on top of a character, the model might not appear. This can sometimes be fixed by zooming in fully, but not always.
- They are still targetable, and if you have your mouse over them you can see the interaction icon or the circle under their feet.
- Increasing Character, World, and Terrain detail to maximum can cause some of the models to load (e.g. Doomguide Severin after you rescue him), but not always.
- Changing other graphics settings does not seem to have an effect.

This is not a problem everyone seems to be suffering, only some players. I'm having this issue, and some other players I met in dungeons also reported it. However, other people I've played with do not seem to have this issue.

Images showing examples of the problem here: https://imgur.com/a/s3n6zsF

Edit: It might not be a draw distance problem. I've noticed models being visible from a distance, then going invisible when you approach. One example is the quest givers in New Sharandar: https://imgur.com/a/b3QIrSv
Post edited by thomasisalone on

Comments

• seekey#7769 seekey Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    The deathlock wrigts, wright commanders, soulslavers 2 of the bosses on levelling up maps are invisible, and the dragonborn scholar can only be seen from a specific angle.

In game ticket number: #558195.
  • mertezackermertezacker Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Here's the same thing too, invisible NPCs
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    Check your graphics tab under Options. Look at the character detail distance, if it is set too low, NPCs will not show up until you are on top of them. They will appear as generic blobs at first then details become more available the closer you get to them. I suggest you set everything to minimum then bring the settings up slowly. Also the other extreme, super high settings will have an adverse reduction in frame rate. This will appear to be lagging but it is just the client having issues keeping up with greater demands.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    @hotfrostworm You did not understood what the problem is - we can see those from the distance, but they disappear if you get too close.
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    "- While the models are invisible, the effects on them are, e.g. the fire on the Theurges, or the frost effect from applying chill stacks."

I've written this in another thread, that for me the npcs are invisible from a distance but appear as you get really close to them and by moving back and forth you can make them disappear and come back repeatedly. I've really only noticed it with npcs who offer quests and have the icon above their head because all I see from a distance is the icon and a narrow column of light under it from the ground to the icon which is why I quoted the above line. The effect is there but not the character. I saw it in Velosk yesterday, I will log in shortly and go back there and make a video of it and post here.
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    For me the best example was the first boss in Ice peak. A nice frozen chamber full of traps, invisible boss and a full load of invisible archers. Jackpot!
    edited July 2021
    OK I made the video. I went back to Velosk and while the npc in question no longer has the icon and light effect (because I've done the quests now so no icon and I also believe the light is connected to the new style icon) he is still reliably coming and going depending on how close you are to him. So the first clip is that. Then I went to three other places but could not reproduce this effect, they all stayed visible as I moved away and towards them.

But I did notice something which could provide a hint as to what might be going on at least with the one in Velosk. It's on all the last ones but most obvious on the very last one in Whispering Caverns. You can see that while the npc in Whispering Caverns stays there as you move back and forth, the title above their head comes and goes at what looks to be the same distance as the npc was coming and going in Velosk. This could mean that when the npc in Velosk is disappearing, it's only supposed to be the title over the head going away but something in the coding is telling the system to make them disappear along with the title when the camera reaches the required distance. Admittedly you can see that they pop-into view just very slightly before the title appears and stay just very slightly after the title goes so it's not identically the same split second, but it's so close I think that still could be a clue.

• kronus#9296 kronus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 163 Arc User
    This has been a random bug for quite sometime. It's happened to me, but only rarely and always during a dragon run in WoD. It's kinda hard to kill a lizard if you can't see it to target it. ;) Now that it's widespread, maybe it will be addressed.
  • seekey#7769 seekey Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    To be a little more clearer about the problem i made 2 screenshots (i hope they can be seen). This is from a little distance

and this when they were closer as i was got into fight with them

there are lots of this monsters that disappearing when they getting close and it is not limited to only one map
    NPCs, monsters and some players remain invisible after maintenance. That's ridiculous
  • mestophmestoph Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    same thing here...seems to affect interactable items like mailboxes (but they still sparkle, so you can sort-of figure out what's what), hair/beards on all characters, grass, etc. those items are visible until they get within a specific range around my character and then they vanish. radeon rx 6900xt running adrenaline 21.7.2. Same gpu and driver worked just fine untile m21 came out.

edit: also affects things like fences in PE, boxes in summer festival troll hunt/water battle area and a bunch of other non-interactable items....not to mention both flax and fire petals that are needed for summer event quests.

great job cryptic, great job.
    I submitted a ticket to support regarding this issue and pointing them to this thread. I'd recommend everyone affected to do the same so that we can give it some traction...
    I found another npc, this one in PE opposite the bank on the corner, which is doing the same disappearing act as you move back and forth, the icon above it stays there, they come and go. I cannot be bothered making a video of it.
    Everyone sends a ticket to support, guys. I made it
    quick follow up - in my case disabling postprocessing has "fixed" vanishing items and everything seems to work as intended...besides some graphics fidelity loss.
    Please try it and report back in the thread if it worked for you or not and details about what graphics card you use - make, model and driver version. thanks
    mestoph said:

quick follow up - in my case disabling postprocessing has "fixed" vanishing items and everything seems to work as intended...besides some graphics fidelity loss.
    Please try it and report back in the thread if it worked for you or not and details about what graphics card you use - make, model and driver version. thanks

After reading this I went and logged in and went to PE as there is an npc on the corner opposite the bank (holding a scroll with an icon above his head) who comes and goes for me depending on how far away I am (the scroll he is holding stays there floating in the air, only the npc itself comes and goes), as in the video I made above in Velosk, not there when from a short distance, there when closer. I tested first going back and forth and he was coming and going, then I turned off post-processing, OKd it (don't think I needed to do that but I did to be sure) and closed the interface and tried again and it did not stop the issue for me, he continued coming and going as I moved towards and away. So in my case this did not work.
  • thomasisalonethomasisalone Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    mestoph said:

I disabled post-processing and sadly it didn't fix it for me. I'm playing on a laptop with an integrated GPU - hardware isn't great, but I never had an issue like this before.
    This has nothing to do with the graphical options. It's a bug in the game itself.
  • bitcrusher#9275 bitcrusher Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Have that with enemies in fight, some of them get invisible during fight and appear suddenly, looks like some kind of clipping issue to me.
  • foxxy#4211 foxxy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 563 Arc User
    Are the devs aware of these issues? we need a response, by far the game hasnt been fun since the update mod 21, cany anyone tag them?
    Hope they fix it in the next maintenance
  • xelenos#6290 xelenos Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I also have this Issue
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Issue is being escalated. If we cannot reproduce it with our internal accounts, we may need to reach out to impacted folks to get their account info so we can look at those.
    Ok, we wait for fix
  • okugi#5020 okugi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I noticed this specifically with the Minsc companion, and NPC during the elemental evil adventure. When my targeting reticle was within a 180 degree arc of them, they disappear, but facing away from them makes them reappear.
  • wes#6196 wes Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    I have the same problem, I was just at Icespire peak, and all the bosses were invisible. Not fun to play through, garanteed. Also I'me at the enchant trainer and He's invisible now too, so it's not an insulated incident graphic problem. Update: my problem is fixed. I checked my graphics setting as suggested most were on low. Uped them to medium and things looked as they should.
    Post edited by wes#6196 on
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User
    They introduced the true stealth mode.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • inyawayupdeepinyawayupdeep Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 206 Arc User
    Dragon turtle in SKT does it if your close up
  • theelusiveone#4954 theelusiveone Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    Having the same problem as described here with the invisible mobs. Seems to be especially prevalent in Vanrakdoom for some reason.
    Using Windows 10 Pro (2004). NVidia RTX 2080 TI with 471.41 drivers.
    Max graphics settings in NW except for DoF which is disabled. Antialiasing set to MSAA x4.
    Kevfire
    Guild Leader
    Neverwinter SOLO Alliance
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User
    It is everywhere. Usually, in a mob of 3. Only 2 were seen. The missing one does not even show its health bar on top. I usually was walking away and then found out the 'extra one' was still hitting me.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***