test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My computer blew up...

2»

Comments

• some1stolemynicknamesome1stolemynickname Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    aixis2000 said:

@some1stolemynickname ...yes and no...the one for 1449,99 is not really a cheap one with good components already...yes the manufacturer from board, ram, grafics and so on is not listed but we dont live in the 90´s anymore were ur horror scenario works...if u buy a pc for 200 bucks yes this still may happen but 1500? Come on!
    Yes if u can build ur own pc like I do than its something else what u can do with 1,500 but Alienware would maybe build a pc with the same components for 2500...but maybe they have magic hands...

@aixis2000 I ran my own computer repair shot from 2000-2015 (closed due to long distance move). It doesn't matter how much that computer costs. Coorperations are coorperations. They want to save every penny possible. The power supply is often the easiest way to save the most money, since you can buy a cheap junk one with the same wattage as a heavy expensive one. My "horror scenario" still happens way more often than you think when buying from a brand name you don't know. Those "magic hands" are the details left out by the cheaper brand as I've already stated (lacking PCIe slots/cheaper power supply/not upgradeable).

Having a computer custom built by someone else would ensure the best parts were used, and still be cheaper than a good brand name.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    zerappus said:

Use an external SSD for your programs/games. You don't want to wear out and overuse your main SSD.

Get a Sandisk/Samsung 500 gb or 1 tb. They are easily replaced and keep your main ssd in tip top shape.

Ugh. External disk = slow interface = wasted SSD performance.

And the SSD wear-out problem was real in the early days of SSDs, but it has been dealt with now, See
    https://www.compuram.de/blog/en/the-life-span-of-a-ssd-how-long-does-it-last-and-what-can-be-done-to-take-care/

The 'worst' SSD has an estimated lifetime of 114 years. If that is a problem for you, I really want to know your trick for living long :)
  • zerappuszerappus Member Posts: 138 Arc User

zerappus said:

Use an external SSD for your programs/games. You don't want to wear out and overuse your main SSD.

Get a Sandisk/Samsung 500 gb or 1 tb. They are easily replaced and keep your main ssd in tip top shape.

And the SSD wear-out problem was real in the early days of SSDs, but it has been dealt with now, See
    https://www.compuram.de/blog/en/the-life-span-of-a-ssd-how-long-does-it-last-and-what-can-be-done-to-take-care/

The 'worst' SSD has an estimated lifetime of 114 years. If that is a problem for you, I really want to know your trick for living long :)
    Read the comments section of the article you linked and tell that to the two people whose SSD died in 6 and 10 months with little use. It's not just the cells that die but also parts of the SSD itself can clunk out, making the whole SSD useless or dead.
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Personally, I'm gonna go with a mid-level Alienware gaming computer next time around.
    Reason: reliability & getting a combination thats tested and proven to work well together.

I liked a previous posters suggestion to not use a single large hard drive for all purposes. Multiple drives are expensive and add difficulty in computer managment though... so if an SSD card works, it would be ideal.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    My computer is here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    I never knew the graphics were this amazing in game.. or that my skin was purple all this time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    zerappus said:

zerappus said:

Read the comments section of the article you linked and tell that to the two people whose SSD died in 6 and 10 months with little use. It's not just the cells that die but also parts of the SSD itself can clunk out, making the whole SSD useless or dead.
    For hardware failures we are usually looking at a 'bathtub' curve. When equipment is new, it has a high failrate because of non-discovered fabrication issues. When equipment is getting old it has a high failrate because it is getting worn out. You get increased failrates at both ends of the lifetime.

Also, this really is much about statistics... and two incidents when there are millions devices delivered has very little statistical confidence.

The only way to not expose yourself to a risk when buying hardware is to not buy any hardware :)