test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

6 years of playing Shot in the Tush. Neverwinter definitely needs a rollback to save investment

wreckr1wreckr1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
This new Mod 16 Undermountain in Neverwinter really bytes, Level 70 Warlock character CANNOT kill level 6 NPC in Blacklake District. My partner started a new toon as a test and that seems to be doing ok. A six year investment of time and money in this game seems to be inversely proportional as I have multiple level 60's(2) and 70(3) toons. ALL stripped of power. This Mod definitely needs a fix!

Comments

• kolkrikolkri Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I agree.
  • cooldazcooldaz Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    wreckr1 said:

This new Mod 16 Undermountain in Neverwinter really bytes, Level 70 Warlock character CANNOT kill level 6 NPC in Blacklake District. My partner started a new toon as a test and that seems to be doing ok. A six year investment of time and money in this game seems to be inversely proportional as I have multiple level 60's(2) and 70(3) toons. ALL stripped of power. This Mod definitely needs a fix!

I don't see the problem. My lvl 70 was killing lvl 50's at ease and is now lvl 72 and am killing lvl 65 at ease
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    aratech said:

cooldaz said:

wreckr1 said:

I don't see the problem. My lvl 70 was killing lvl 50's at ease and is now lvl 72 and am killing lvl 65 at ease
    And odds are fair to decent that Hurricane Michael didn't smash your house in. Doesn't mean that millions weren't affected by it.

Do not presume that simply because *you* do not have issues, that other players are having the same breeze you are. I speak from the perspective of a guy who was doing a story mission on the new campaign last night, hit level 74 in the middle of it, but because I was in a level 71 "story mission" literally watched my stats go *down* after the levelup (I lost about 500 across the board and took a 2k HP penalty, and *also* was unable to use the fireball power I was supposed to have just unlocked, because from the perspective of the game, I wasn't level 74.)
    That's how level scaling works. I wonder though, did you have access to that power in the next lower level than you instance? Because what it seems like from here is that it locked you to the level you entered at as far as abilities go.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
    aratech said:

aratech said:

cooldaz said:

wreckr1 said:

And odds are fair to decent that Hurricane Michael didn't smash your house in. Doesn't mean that millions weren't affected by it.

Do not presume that simply because *you* do not have issues, that other players are having the same breeze you are. I speak from the perspective of a guy who was doing a story mission on the new campaign last night, hit level 74 in the middle of it, but because I was in a level 71 "story mission" literally watched my stats go *down* after the levelup (I lost about 500 across the board and took a 2k HP penalty, and *also* was unable to use the fireball power I was supposed to have just unlocked, because from the perspective of the game, I wasn't level 74.)
    That's how level scaling works. I wonder though, did you have access to that power in the next lower level than you instance? Because what it seems like from here is that it locked you to the level you entered at as far as abilities go.
    If that's WAI, all involved need to be fired and blacklisted. It makes leveling up in a story mission *dangerous*. Because now, leveling up, the thing that has been the clearest sign of "you have made progress and grown in power" since Gygax first came up with D&D all those years ago, has become something to be *avoided*. Because it actively *punishes* you for leveling up.

When the lower level guild mate I had gone to help, with inferior stats and gear, suddenly has to start carrying *my* blue scaled rear end through the story mission, it should be a clear sign to anyone with a functioning cerebellum that something has definitely gone wrong somewhere....

I am literally avoiding combat as much as possible in this new module, not because its difficult (I killed the aboleth in mere moments, despite still carrying my level 70 gear, because this game refuses to drop equipment in Undermountain and the few quest rewards have been inferior to all of my Mod 11-15 stuff) but because I know every time I level up, the next time I hit a story mission with a level cap, the game is about to become an exponentially more difficult grind-fest.

Let's examine that for a moment. Combat. The thing that 90% of this game revolves around, is something to be avoided, because again, leveling up your character now *actively punishes you* because of this inane scaling.

As to your leveling up inquiry, once I got through the campaign mission, I was able to finally access Fireball. But that's not the point. The point is that the game, again, actively punished me for *daring* to play it, and then withheld the promised rewards. Its the absolute worst of both worlds.
    I asked because those are two very different things. Yes, it scaled you down, but it also locked you to where it put you when you entered. If this is in Undermountain, I was under the impression that it isn't scaled at all, sorry if you indicated otherwise, directly or indirectly, I missed it.

I've been too busy cleaning up a 5 year long backlog of quests to get into the new stuff yet. All stuff that I picked up thinking I was going to need it all to level to the then 60 cap, and didn't. It's why I left: I was going to be spending days cleaning that stuff up, for nothing. I was at the cap, the gear was going to be worse than what I had already, and there just wasn't any point in even thinking about going on. I only came back because I was bored with other stuff I have been doing, or burnt out, and saw a video and figured I'd drop in and see what's up. Less than a week from a new expansion, with two cap increases since I'd left, I stuck around, and did some reading, and some leveling.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • aratecharatech Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 269 Arc User

aratech said:

aratech said:

cooldaz said:

wreckr1 said:

If that's WAI, all involved need to be fired and blacklisted. It makes leveling up in a story mission *dangerous*. Because now, leveling up, the thing that has been the clearest sign of "you have made progress and grown in power" since Gygax first came up with D&D all those years ago, has become something to be *avoided*. Because it actively *punishes* you for leveling up.

When the lower level guild mate I had gone to help, with inferior stats and gear, suddenly has to start carrying *my* blue scaled rear end through the story mission, it should be a clear sign to anyone with a functioning cerebellum that something has definitely gone wrong somewhere....

I am literally avoiding combat as much as possible in this new module, not because its difficult (I killed the aboleth in mere moments, despite still carrying my level 70 gear, because this game refuses to drop equipment in Undermountain and the few quest rewards have been inferior to all of my Mod 11-15 stuff) but because I know every time I level up, the next time I hit a story mission with a level cap, the game is about to become an exponentially more difficult grind-fest.

Let's examine that for a moment. Combat. The thing that 90% of this game revolves around, is something to be avoided, because again, leveling up your character now *actively punishes you* because of this inane scaling.

As to your leveling up inquiry, once I got through the campaign mission, I was able to finally access Fireball. But that's not the point. The point is that the game, again, actively punished me for *daring* to play it, and then withheld the promised rewards. Its the absolute worst of both worlds.
    I asked because those are two very different things. Yes, it scaled you down, but it also locked you to where it put you when you entered. If this is in Undermountain, I was under the impression that it isn't scaled at all, sorry if you indicated otherwise, directly or indirectly, I missed it.

I've been too busy cleaning up a 5 year long backlog of quests to get into the new stuff yet. All stuff that I picked up thinking I was going to need it all to level to the then 60 cap, and didn't. It's why I left: I was going to be spending days cleaning that stuff up, for nothing. I was at the cap, the gear was going to be worse than what I had already, and there just wasn't any point in even thinking about going on. I only came back because I was bored with other stuff I have been doing, or burnt out, and saw a video and figured I'd drop in and see what's up. Less than a week from a new expansion, with two cap increases since I'd left, I stuck around, and did some reading, and some leveling.

aratech said:

aratech said:

cooldaz said:

wreckr1 said:

It was in undermountain. The first Expedition Quest that you're sent on auto scales you to 71. I had played nothing but campaign content by that point and was still Level 73.

I will offer you a word of advice: avoid heroics in the Undermountain region like the plague. The ones in Twisting Caverns autoscale you to 72. I was still 74 at the time that this specific event occurred, but I am now 77, despite my best efforts to avoid leveling.

More specifically, I was level 74, stepped into one, was auto-scaled to 72. I noticed I was struggling a lot harder. Confused, I pulled up my character sheet. Among *other* things, my power was slashed from 71k to less than 45k. Again. I haven't changed any of my gear since level 70. But my stats were basically slashed in half by dropping me 2 levels.

That is *insane* and if this is WAI, then this game's future is very, very grim....
    edited April 2019
    I'd be hitting up a bug report then, because it's my understanding that there is no scaling supposed to be happening in the expansion at all.

I'd be hitting up a bug report then, because it's my understanding that there is no scaling supposed to be happening in the expansion at all.

On second expedition now. I've been dropped from 77 to 74. My power has been slashed from 76k to 57k. Similar scaling across the rest of my stats, and I've had about 10k HP shaved off.

This isn't a bug, Robert. This is how the game is meant to be... This is "Working As Intended."

This is a disgrace...

• pakatapoespakatapoes Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Omg now we getting scaled in undermountain too , this is hamster..no wonder I felt like weak suddenly in a content I was doing.
    They are killing the game and the players , if NW was a person he would be on life support and sueing for malpractice of the doctors
    Update. Still struggling to break through first groups of enemies. Because apparently, slashing my stats almost 40% across the board wasn't bad enough. I'm thrown into a match with a bunch of enemies that have limitless, no cooldown interrupt attacks, while I do less than 50% of the damage I'm supposed to...
  • kinamara#3934 kinamara Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    aratech said:

On second expedition now. I've been dropped from 77 to 74. My power has been slashed from 76k to 57k. Similar scaling across the rest of my stats, and I've had about 10k HP shaved off.

This isn't a bug, Robert. This is how the game is meant to be... This is "Working As Intended."

This is a disgrace...

Question are you running the expeditions with runes? If so random negatives happen one of which is decreasing power and def. that may explain your power being lowered.... I never had my stats lowered in them without the "rune traps" being activated.
  • khol#0753 khol Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    All I can say is I'm glad I've only invested time, and not $$$$. Mod16 has created more problems than it was ever intended to fix. Scaling, well that's just the biggest joke going round the world right now. If I was a business owner and the developers (READ DESTROYERS) of Neverwinter were employed by me, they would be looking for work. My 2 best toons have been shredded to the point they are no longer effective in the majority of dungeons I've tried so far. My new build Rangers' attacks just get shrugged off as if they were nothing. I spend more time dying and/or rezzing other players than I do playing the content. There are so many bugs in M16 that I don't know where to start, and then I find out this is how it's meant to be. Lately, I've spent more time reading forums than playing this game. That surely tells me something. Time to look elsewhere if I'm going to spend my hard earned and try to get some enjoyment back. I thought Neverwinter was PLAY TO ENJOY, not, PAY TO WIN AT ANY COST!!!!!!! Now that I know it's only $$$$ orientated, it's time to find something a hell of a lot better, a lot more enjoyable, especially if I'm spending REAL dollars. The game has been fragged, almost to the point of no return, and will be on LIFE SUPPORT for a long time to come.

Whatever redeeming factors the new mod was supposed to have brought, have been negated 1 million times over. I really wanted to say something positive, but I can't find anything at the moment. Time to move on.

Finally, as for the REFER A FRIEND, on the intro screen, I'd tell them to find somewhere else to go play.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    really? devs made this game to punish players, them why we playing with all that punishments?
    that not the game we want to play and get punish, we need to find better game master who make game fun for everyone.

sound like a bad analogy, Guy own a bar and it is losing money, ask his bartenders, they decide to kick out patrons who only drank water, and then kick out those who come for happy hour snacks, and soon just did kick out those came here for favorite local musicians, the owner came back to bar expecting beer drinkers and social drinkers, and only seen few drunks just about pass out and about to be evicted for no sleep policy,
    He asked where is the rest of patrons.
    bartenders answered, they kick out the water drinkers and only to find out they were designer drivers in carpool, in effect, small groups of drinkers left with drivers.
    Owner just "epic" facepalmed, now he knew why he losing money in this business, bad bartenders.

the owner happen to be WoTC/Hasbrio.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User

It's just scaling to discourage that kind of gameplay but I'd guess it has to and will be improved...

It is just discouraging gampelay, full stop. Its a horrible idea and hopefully will be removed entirely or they change the method of getting whatever it is they are trying to achieve done.

The only reason I can think of doing it is to stop well geared players running low IL stuff and making easy AD or getting refinement items to sell for AD. Otherwise who cares if players run old content, that they have surpassed, quickly and with ease.

Again, its a horrible idea. 99% of players hate it.

Most games have scaling which I think is good as it means you cam play all content at a reasonable challenge instead of walking through mobs with a few button bashes. Never had problems with scaling and am not having problems in this game either.
  • dagmurdagmur Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    cooldaz said:

Most games have scaling which I think is good as it means you cam play all content at a reasonable challenge instead of walking through mobs with a few button bashes. Never had problems with scaling and am not having problems in this game either.

In this case you are one in a million. Enjoy the fun while you can. Lots don't.
  • dagmurdagmur Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    wreckr1 said:

Fully agreed. If there is no significant changes soon, it is maybe time to move on and look for some other game.
    dagmur said:

cooldaz said:

Well in that case they need to learn to play the game. I bet its only button mashers that are finding it difficult
    wemp#7374 said:

cooldaz said:

dagmur said:

cooldaz said:

Well in that case they need to learn to play the game. I bet its only button mashers that are finding it difficult
    Can you please share vidoe of playing demo with fun ?
    I really like to see how u having fun in game and we all not .
    The fact that im playing shows im having fun. If I wasn't I would have quit. Look at other MMOs like Elderscrolls online as an example. They have scaling but you don't see people whinging about it
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I am going to quote myself from the feedback thread for the patch coming today (Friday):
    adinosii said:

Those changes had to be done, and I am happy to see them appear so quickly.

However, there are issues:

• The big issue is is that the developers still seem to be under the impression that the scaling is basically "in a good place" and just needed some "tweaks", whereas many players see it as fundamentally flawed and in need of a redesign.
    • Those changes do nothing about the issue of a well-geared L80 player getting downscaled to be weaker than an average player of "appropriate level".
    • If you happen to level up, you may see your stats go down. Seriously. I have seen different implementations of scaling, but this really deserves a HAMSTER of the year award. Punishing people for progressing?
    • Those changes do nothing about the issue of "BiS" and "average geared" players being downscaled to basically the same level - which really hurts players' motivation to progress.
    The bottom line from my perspective is not that the scaling needs "tweaks" or bugfixes (which it certainly does, though). The problem is that the underlying design is just...wrong.
    Hoping for improvements...
    cooldaz said:

The fact that im playing shows im having fun. If I wasn't I would have quit. Look at other MMOs like Elderscrolls online as an example. They have scaling but you don't see people whinging about it

You really haven't tested things much, have you ?

Some of the scaling is so broken that the content is simply unplayable. See this thread for example https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1247601/quest-level-this-has-got-to-be-a-mistake

Being put into content where you can barely manage to tickle the mobs before they instakill you is only "fun" for dedicated masochists. This is a bug, plain and simple.

Some of the other content, like CN and Demogorgon has been acknowledged to be way harder than intended - this is supposed to be fixed with doday's patch.

As for other games, they do implement scaling properly. Only in NWO do you have a risk of having your stats go down if you level up....if you think punishing people for progressing is "fun", you are in a very, very, small minority.
    edited April 2019

aratech said:

This is a disgrace...

Question are you running the expeditions with runes? If so random negatives happen one of which is decreasing power and def. that may explain your power being lowered.... I never had my stats lowered in them without the "rune traps" being activated.
    No runes. I haven't even been given the option to use those.
    cooldaz said:

wemp#7374 said:

cooldaz said:

dagmur said:

cooldaz said:

Pony up the proof. Show me on ESO where, because I was three levels higher than the *story mission*, because I leveled up from *daring* to play their game, I had my stats slashed in half.

Again. In going from 74 to 77, I gained about 2k HP. Full stop. That's it. I get to the second expedition, and without activating any runes (again, I'm not even given the option to do so), what happens? "BEEP BOOP, Adjusting level. All stats reduced by 30,000. Enjoy your game...."

In summary: scaling is borked. The person responsible should be fired and blacklisted. Not because it's hard. I love a good challenge. But because this *kills* any sense of progression. I'm running around the main area of Wyllywood right now, desperately attempting to avoid combat. Not because its difficult, but because the NWO devs have done something I thought impossible. They've made leveling up your character, the oldest, truest form of letting a player know "you have made progress. You have accomplished something" in a D&D game, a punishment to be avoided at all costs!
  • dennizonndennizonn Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    cooldaz said:

dagmur said:

cooldaz said:

That is a very stupid statement indeed. Since you don't understand the point and position of another player, you think you can simply launch ad hominem attacks at the players themselves. A successful game must be able to cater to both casual and elite players. Prior to Mod16, the majority of players here found they could enjoy and experience most of the game, but now they cannot. They are all customers who are important to the company making this game, and have a right to voice their concerns and be heard from their standpoint. So stop being the child in the room drawing half-baked assumptions about their skill level and trying to insult them.
    aratech said:

aratech said:

This is a disgrace...

No runes. I haven't even been given the option to use those.
    cooldaz said:

wemp#7374 said:

cooldaz said:

dagmur said:

cooldaz said:

Pony up the proof. Show me on ESO where, because I was three levels higher than the *story mission*, because I leveled up from *daring* to play their game, I had my stats slashed in half.

Again. In going from 74 to 77, I gained about 2k HP. Full stop. That's it. I get to the second expedition, and without activating any runes (again, I'm not even given the option to do so), what happens? "BEEP BOOP, Adjusting level. All stats reduced by 30,000. Enjoy your game...."

In summary: scaling is borked. The person responsible should be fired and blacklisted. Not because it's hard. I love a good challenge. But because this *kills* any sense of progression. I'm running around the main area of Wyllywood right now, desperately attempting to avoid combat. Not because its difficult, but because the NWO devs have done something I thought impossible. They've made leveling up your character, the oldest, truest form of letting a player know "you have made progress. You have accomplished something" in a D&D game, a punishment to be avoided at all costs!
    All zones in ESO, and I'll give you one better, GW 2 are scaled, because any level player can, and may be playing in them. To get Caldwell's Silver, and Caldwell's Gold achievements, in ESO, you must play the faction stories from the other two factions, on the character that's already finished the main story. Hint: You're not running around at max level in those zones, you are leveled down to the appropriate level. If you want the skyshards from a particular zone, you're going to be downscaled to the appropriate levels for the zone. The inherent flaw with ESO's system, as far as I'm concerned, is that Champion Points are account wide, and can be used by any toon on your account after you start earning them.

All zones in ESO, and I'll give you one better, GW 2 are scaled, because any level player can, and may be playing in them.

And that is relevant how? Are you suggesting the developers take a look at those games to learn how to properly do scaling?

As I have said, the problem isn't scaling as such...it is how it was done.