test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Companions are in a bad state.... Slow, lazy and stupid...

axyremaxyrem Member Posts: 41 Arc User
edited April 2019 in Player Feedback (PC)
I have bought many companions in the past weeks and i can honestly say that none of them >

-follows me at my speed, often far behind.... useless..They appear at battle when its over already..
-act´s like NPC enemies in battles.. no the companions often stand there doing nothing
-can find an enemy to fight... ????? even if there are many around
- etc etc etc

The last companion i bought was an OWL which is for a flying pet usually like 2 miles behind me.... weird.. its flying but so slow ??

I bought fast attackers with 1-1.5 seconds cooldown on their powers... the same.. they are all slow...

My Belial Warlock style Lady needs 5 seconds before she starts attacking something at all.... and then she dies...

I watch attacking NPC enemies following me perfectly , i just cant get rid of them very often but all my companions simply suck and they act like drunken or sleepy..

Since 2013 the companions are like that and now i return in 2019 and its still bad.. simply bad...

No fun to play with these expensive Helpers..

The passive powers + Bonding´s ? yea they are the only reason i use these companions..

Why cant you developers not improve the companions AI and Pathfinding ??
Post edited by axyrem on

Comments

• Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Companions are getting a major rework with mod 16 in a few weeks. Patience.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    i didnt know that..., well i spent more than a 1.000.000 on companions to find one that works...
    and i wasnt successful...

The Owl would be my favorite if it wouldnt be following and attacking so slow...
  • Options
    majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    My companion was an afterthought Mod 15 on back. Just a walking buff battery with its bonding runestones and the occasional meatshield if I lost aggro. Keeping them healed while playing my main, was also an afterthought. Now, Mod 16 - My companion IS my life. My life that must be constantly healed (when I'm not using an augment), that hits harder than I do, and provides an integral service of distracting the mobs and bosses while I recharge divinity. I wish it wasn't that way but that's the way it is.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options
    kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    axyrem said:

The passive powers + Bonding´s ? yea they are the only reason i use these companions..

As others have noted - barring a last minute rework, the active companions in M16 will hit much harder than they do now.

The complaints I've seen are that they hit harder - MUCH harder - than the players themselves.

It will be pretty weird, carrying the spear for a Flame Sprite or wiping up the leftover spittle from a Death Slaad, but hey - at least it beats being an NPC...

It does beat being an NPC....right? RIGGHHTTT?
  • Options
    caldochaud#4880 caldochaud Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    @ the Devs: Please remember to fix the Gelatinous Cube augment companion. It currently has no Rune slots and no companion equipment slots which severely hurts its viability as being a usable companion. In its current state, it cannot really be used effectively.

Also there is that whole nagging Splinters issue where the broom companion will not accept any rings even though there are clearly three ring slots. (At least mine won't.)
    "Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire." - Sir Bernard Williams
  • Options
    cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    Companion gear in mod 16 isn't 'slot-specific' - that is, you will be able to put any (companion-only) gear into the gear slots, which should fix Splinters problems.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    It means:
    your companion will not have gear slot in mod 16. You, the character, will have companion gear slots which take any type of companion gear (not accept regular gear like now).
    Your companion will also not have runestone slot. You, the character, will have 3 bonding slots that you can only put bonding runestone in it.
    The companion gear (not the companion) will take runestone instead of enchantment like now.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    bobo#5090 said:

I created a pally on pc just to take to level 70 and check out preview for grins. He has the wayward wizard from the the comp quest that knox gives you. This comp is naked, no runestones, no gear, and at rank 25(green IIRC) he DESTROYS ANY MOB in undermountain we come across(still only one or 2 quests in) and I stand there looking foolish. I'm there only to hold aggro so he can attack from the back ranks. I even unsummoned him, and I got my a s s handed to me with the starting gear and enchants that knox gives you to start undermountain. I picked up a r12 feytouched, and r12 barkshield from the test store, and still can't do enough damage as a justicar without the comp summoned.

Was this intentional? Cuz if so that sucks...

I guess they created a new class: Beast Master.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options

bobo#5090 said:

I created a pally on pc just to take to level 70 and check out preview for grins. He has the wayward wizard from the the comp quest that knox gives you. This comp is naked, no runestones, no gear, and at rank 25(green IIRC) he DESTROYS ANY MOB in undermountain we come across(still only one or 2 quests in) and I stand there looking foolish. I'm there only to hold aggro so he can attack from the back ranks. I even unsummoned him, and I got my a s s handed to me with the starting gear and enchants that knox gives you to start undermountain. I picked up a r12 feytouched, and r12 barkshield from the test store, and still can't do enough damage as a justicar without the comp summoned.

Judging by bobo's description - I'd say a more accurate class name is "Red Shirt".
  • Options

bobo#5090 said:

Judging by bobo's description - I'd say a more accurate class name is "Red Shirt".
    Need to pick up the red dye now just in case, the price goes up.
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    I would be happy if, every time I position myself to get Combat Advantage, my pet didn't run around to get behind me... :cry:
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    You're the tank. Protect him!
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    havlockehavlocke Member Posts: 222 Arc User

axyrem said:

As others have noted - barring a last minute rework, the active companions in M16 will hit much harder than they do now.

The complaints I've seen are that they hit harder - MUCH harder - than the players themselves.

It will be pretty weird, carrying the spear for a Flame Sprite or wiping up the leftover spittle from a Death Slaad, but hey - at least it beats being an NPC...

It does beat being an NPC....right? RIGGHHTTT?
    I for one welcome our new Insect Overlords :)
  • Options
    bigman99#8273 bigman99 Member Posts: 510 Arc User

bobo#5090 said:

Wow, Everquest flashback.
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    greywynd said:

You're the tank. Protect him!

I protecc
    He attacc
    then we both
    go get a snacc!
  • Options
    If the Companions still needs seconds to decide what to attack or what ever they will never be useful in combat..
    Usually not one of my companions makes it to the start of battle while soloing ....
    Stuck, slow, weird behavior.....

If they do not improve AI & Pathfinding + acting & run speed then i dont care much...
  • Options
    krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    When the Chultan Tiger first came out it would aggro mobs constantly. Even when you didn't want it to. So while you were killing one group of mobs it would run off and attack another group before you were ready for more. Players hated it. But to me it seemed tiger like.

So I know its possible for them to make the companions more responsive. Playing on Preview the companions are better than mod 15 companions. Although they have gone back and forth, starting from really great companions that had so many hit points they rarely died and they hit so hard that you could get them engaged in combat then stop and let them finish off the mobs. It was a really nice change. However; it seems now that companions were not fully implemented during those early preview experiences. They have since returned them back to a mod 15ish weakness where they die quick, hit so little that dust flying by in the environment does more damage.

This has led players to believe that they are trying to push augment companions over active combat companions. Because they know very few players have good augment companions. So they can poison the well and get players to drop AD or Cash to get them to be competitive.
  • Options
    radinka#8490 radinka Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    > @krumple01 said:

> This has led players to believe that they are trying to push augment companions over active combat companions. Because they know very few players have good augment companions. So they can poison the well and get players to drop AD or Cash to get them to be competitive.

Pretty much the entire game is play-to-win. The play-to-win aspect is so bad in this game I thought EA made it at first.

I started playing to have something to do until the next chapter dropped for ESO. From first through 70, I actually enjoyed the game immensely as it was a solid story and balanced progression. Companions up through level 70 worked well. But once you hit 70 and start do any of the special campaigns, it became a different game. Suddenly companions are friggin useless and the gear requirements almost double. I never died up through level 70 (except for one time which was because I stepped away from the computer and a group spawned on top of me). Walk into a campaign area and BAM, sorry, you don't have good enough gear to survive here and your companion sucks. And yeah I understand they are supposed to be "high level adventures" but the content basically goes from "nice casual play" to "Spend money to get the upgrades you need or just get use to dying constantly."

I can't even imagine how broken PVP must be in this game, but that is a different topic.
  • Options

Pretty much the entire game is play-to-win. The play-to-win aspect is so bad in this game I thought EA made it at first.

Ok...I'm going to presume to reinterpret this post to say "pay-to-win".

Thought the irony of the typo was SWEET.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I don't know. You've got to love redcaps:

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Neepu deals 224622 Physical Damage to Cutter with Murderous Charge.
    [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Neepu deals 226252 (228063) Physical Damage to Sharpshooter with Murderous Charge.

And this is BEFORE the r14 Indomitable adds another 50%. These little gals are the best.
    Post edited by hustin1 on
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User

Ok...I'm going to presume to reinterpret this post to say "pay-to-win".

Thought the irony of the typo was SWEET.
    I really hate play to win. Id rather just pay for a "I win" button. Login press the button and get a credits screen then the logout button with a "You won Neverwinter." statement.

• Options
    hustin1 said:

I don't know. You've got to love redcaps:

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Neepu deals 224622 Physical Damage to Cutter with Murderous Charge.
    [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Neepu deals 226252 (228063) Physical Damage to Sharpshooter with Murderous Charge.

And this is BEFORE the r14 Indomitable adds another 50%. These little gals are the best.

Dont you think you went 10x to much ? i never saw my redcap doing more than ~25k with +75% crit sev

and honestly what gives... 1 hit every 5 sec....
  • Options
    delta2119delta2119 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Companions need some kind of set options, so players can define what they expect: attack first red NPC on sight, focus ranged, caster, melee, boss, or wait till player engages and more. At least these should be in their descriptions if they got something similar by default. Tanks should survive better at high level, and the others as well, by either avoiding AoE or being immune, otherwise they are useless. If all they can do is giving bonus stats, then make that clear, and stop selling companions that aren't doing that because it's not fun paying real money on useless companions when that money could've been spent on something useful. If they can't do their roles, just remove them or allow to be exchanged.
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    edited April 2019

My companion was an afterthought Mod 15 on back. Just a walking buff battery with its bonding runestones and the occasional meatshield if I lost aggro. Keeping them healed while playing my main, was also an afterthought. Now, Mod 16 - My companion IS my life. My life that must be constantly healed (when I'm not using an augment), that hits harder than I do, and provides an integral service of distracting the mobs and bosses while I recharge divinity. I wish it wasn't that way but that's the way it is.

It is what it is.

• Options
    aganwayaganway Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Are we going to be able to transfer our companions to other characters seeing many of us have had our builds destroyed and will not be playing them anymore? I play CW, I have played him for a few years and found him such fun that I decided not to play my other classes anymore, they are all midway through the campaigns and have so much left undone to reach where my CW is. I decided to stick with the one character because he suited my playstyle perfectly and was the most fun for me out of all my characters and devote all my time to it, he is fully done on all campaigns and has more or less done all content. So with the companions, I collected the ones I wanted for him which I thought would work best, and have spent AGES and HEAPS of resources (and RL cash) into getting a few of them to legendary, but now the changes to CW have made me totally unwilling to play it anymore, it has had the guts ripped out of it and through no fault of my own, I now have maxed companions sitting on a character I will not be playing. If I did come back, seeing you are making us start all over again on our builds, I would probably go and develop one of my other characters, such as cleric, but what about all the hard work I put into my companions? They are wasted now? I have to put up with a rubbish game on the CW in order to make use of the legendary companions I have on it or now leave them wasted and un-used on the CW and start from scratch on another character? And while I'm on it, what about mounts? I've got a few leg mounts on the CW too, but seeing you have ripped the guts out of him and I will not enjoy playing him anymore with the missing powers, buffs etc etc etc, all those mounts I collected over years (and a few came to other characters and I shifted them over to my main,) are now useless, even the leg ones cause they are all stuck on a character I have no intention of playing because you have stuffed it up? So the situation is I had a character I loved playing and would have continued playing forever were it not for this awful change in gameplay, that was not my doing or choice, now I find that I will not enjoy playing him, I went to the preview server and had a look and hated it, not my fault, I'm playing Neverwinter for FUN not because you are forcing me to, so my only option is to go and test-out my other classes I still have and see if there is anything there I can salvage and work on and enjoy, but I already know my CW is not going to work for me anymore with the powers missing and the new system, it was too varied and controllable to survive the new system and is so dumbed-down now I have no reason to play it, if I want to hold down at-wills and wait for encounters to refresh for ages, I can go play a bashy bashy class like my old renamed GWF. But for CW, no thanks. So now through no fault of my own I have a plethora or mounts and companions sitting on the CW which I cannot use and spent years developing and collecting. So are you going to allow us to transfer companions and mounts across for a limited time so we can salvage this mess on our main characters which hold all the goodies we will no longer be using because you forced this change onto us against our will rendering all our hard work useless? Also I spent many hundreds of dollars of real cash on zen to upgrade and get stuff for that character, some of that was put into upgrading companions to leg or buying leg mounts outright from the Auction House, all that cash is now wasted? You are going to make us start all over and not have access to our hard work when you have changed the game to the point many of us will not be playing our old main because you have now made it boring and no fun?
  • Options
    aganway said:

Are we going to be able to transfer our companions to other characters seeing many of us have had our builds destroyed and will not be playing them anymore? I play CW, I have played him for a few years and found him such fun that I decided not to play my other classes anymore, they are all midway through the campaigns and have so much left undone to reach where my CW is. I decided to stick with the one character because he suited my playstyle perfectly and was the most fun for me out of all my characters and devote all my time to it, he is fully done on all campaigns and has more or less done all content. So with the companions, I collected the ones I wanted for him which I thought would work best, and have spent AGES and HEAPS of resources (and RL cash) into getting a few of them to legendary, but now the changes to CW have made me totally unwilling to play it anymore, it has had the guts ripped out of it and through no fault of my own, I now have maxed companions sitting on a character I will not be playing. If I did come back, seeing you are making us start all over again on our builds, I would probably go and develop one of my other characters, such as cleric, but what about all the hard work I put into my companions? They are wasted now? I have to put up with a rubbish game on the CW in order to make use of the legendary companions I have on it or now leave them wasted and un-used on the CW and start from scratch on another character? And while I'm on it, what about mounts? I've got a few leg mounts on the CW too, but seeing you have ripped the guts out of him and I will not enjoy playing him anymore with the missing powers, buffs etc etc etc, all those mounts I collected over years (and a few came to other characters and I shifted them over to my main,) are now useless, even the leg ones cause they are all stuck on a character I have no intention of playing because you have stuffed it up? So the situation is I had a character I loved playing and would have continued playing forever were it not for this awful change in gameplay, that was not my doing or choice, now I find that I will not enjoy playing him, I went to the preview server and had a look and hated it, not my fault, I'm playing Neverwinter for FUN not because you are forcing me to, so my only option is to go and test-out my other classes I still have and see if there is anything there I can salvage and work on and enjoy, but I already know my CW is not going to work for me anymore with the powers missing and the new system, it was too varied and controllable to survive the new system and is so dumbed-down now I have no reason to play it, if I want to hold down at-wills and wait for encounters to refresh for ages, I can go play a bashy bashy class like my old renamed GWF. But for CW, no thanks. So now through no fault of my own I have a plethora or mounts and companions sitting on the CW which I cannot use and spent years developing and collecting. So are you going to allow us to transfer companions and mounts across for a limited time so we can salvage this mess on our main characters which hold all the goodies we will no longer be using because you forced this change onto us against our will rendering all our hard work useless? Also I spent many hundreds of dollars of real cash on zen to upgrade and get stuff for that character, some of that was put into upgrading companions to leg or buying leg mounts outright from the Auction House, all that cash is now wasted? You are going to make us start all over and not have access to our hard work when you have changed the game to the point many of us will not be playing our old main because you have now made it boring and no fun?

your Solution is $$$$$$$$$$$