Install Arc
Options

Mod 16: The good, the bad and the rest

Comments

• Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    greywynd said:

You only ever needed 3 stones unless, for some reason, you needed to speed-change your summoned.

he said 6 alts so 18 bondings. no idea where he's getting 90 from.. lol
  • Options
    minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    adinosii said:

havlocke said:

Reboot is probably a better way of describing this than anything else I've seen so far. I've been referring to it as Neverwinter 2, but this feels more accurate.

Sometimes a reboot is a good thing. I mean, we all know that the game had issues. The buff stacking was getting absurd and if your gear was good (and your skills), the game was getting so easy it was outright boring. Excessive lifesteal meant that you were typically either at full health or dead, and quite frankly, that's just silly. Also, I fully understand that all the different boons and effects that could trigger during combat might put an excessive load on the server.

I don't think many players will argue that the current situation on Live is perfect.

The upcoming changes will indeed solve many of the current issues - the problem is just that they introduce a number of problems, and in some cases the changes seem just utterly pointless, bringing no benefits and just annoy players. The removal of initial ability rolls are an example of that. Those changes are just BAD.
    And this is the massive disconnect I have with much of the feedback here on the forums.

I play mainly solo and the dungeons I do tend to be RIQ. I don't see any of the issues you describe. I'm aware they exist in the high end dungeons, but they don't affect me. My characters are not the 18K+ monsters that cause the problems, I have 16 chars 12-15.8K. I actually need the features you see as ruining your experience. Mod 16 completely kills all fun in my gameplay experience.

Combine this with the fact that has been proved several times in various games that the forums are MASSIVELY unrepresentative of the general population of the game, I'm concerned that the game is going to be for the noisy <10% that post on the forums and destroyed for the rest. I already know of a lot of people (including the head of one of the biggest alliances in the game) for whom this release is the last straw.

I play this game for fun, relaxation and cheap entertainment (I've probably dropped $2K on the game since beta and played 10000 hours). I have ME so have very little energy. I don't need to be massively challenged in this game, if I fancy a challenge I will play national level bridge competitions, this is NOT why I play NW, it's somewhere I can be "epic" when I can't in real life. Everything I play for is removed by Mod 16.

• Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User

he said 6 alts so 18 bondings. no idea where he's getting 90 from.. lol

It's the new maths.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    i see what you mean, currently, we have 5 active companions, each one has 3 bonding, so that is 15 for each character, so, i have 6 alts, and it got 90. could have more on idled companions.

once that Mod 16 launched, we only need 3, so i had 600k refined.

one i posted, it will be 18 (3 per alt).
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    Why would someone equip non-active companions, it does not add anything. Even if a second companion is used for different situation, but it would be cheaper to just rotate the equipment.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    wylonus said:

i see what you mean, currently, we have 5 active companions, each one has 3 bonding, so that is 15 for each character, so, i have 6 alts, and it got 90. could have more on idled companions.

once that Mod 16 launched, we only need 3, so i had 600k refined.

one i posted, it will be 18 (3 per alt).

No idea why you need 3 bondings per companion per character. 15 bonding per character???

As mentioned, even if you want to rotate companion due to situational reason and you don't want to swap bonding on the fly, you don't need all 5 to have bondings. Then, doing that per character?? Only summon's bonding, equipment, enchantment, etc are used.

*** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    whoa, i said i had all 15 on 5 active companions on 1 character, and i did had extras, then Mod 16 eliminate excessive extras down to 3 per character.
    sorry to confusing you, if you went to test server and i hope you understood what i mean. see what you have currently and compare to mod 16 on test.
    took me awhile to clean up and got about 600,000 refine points.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    wylonus said:

whoa, i said i had all 15 on 5 active companions on 1 character,

No idea why you would want to have bonding stones on all 5 - it makes no sense whatsoever. Yes, I know there is a theoretical possibility a secondary companion might be optimal for a specific situations, so you might want to be able to switch quickly, but all 5, no...that's just a total waste.

You needed 3 bonding runestones per character in Mod 15, and you need 3 per character in Mod 16 - nothing has changed. It should be easy enough to sell any extra ones, though.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    ok, i see, i gotcha adin.

yeah, mod 16 kinda help me to "clean up".
  • Options
    minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    adinosii said:

wylonus said:

No idea why you would want to have bonding stones on all 5 - it makes no sense whatsoever. Yes, I know there is a theoretical possibility a secondary companion might be optimal for a specific situations, so you might want to be able to switch quickly, but all 5, no...that's just a total waste before.

You needed 3 bonding runestones per character in Mod 15, and you need 3 per character in Mod 16 - nothing has changed. It should be easy enough to sell any extra ones, though.
    Yeah, but you won't get much for them, I have 200 rank 8s and 9s that will convert from eldritch and I'm sure I'm not alone
  • Options
    havlockehavlocke Member Posts: 222 Arc User

adinosii said:

wylonus said:

No idea why you would want to have bonding stones on all 5 - it makes no sense whatsoever. Yes, I know there is a theoretical possibility a secondary companion might be optimal for a specific situations, so you might want to be able to switch quickly, but all 5, no...that's just a total waste before.

Yeah, but you won't get much for them, I have 200 rank 8s and 9s that will convert from eldritch and I'm sure I'm not alone
    Yeah, but we got to take things in context. At this stage, FOR COMPANIONS, which is what this discussion is about, you would normally have 3 Bondings, 3 "Gear" and 6 Enchants per character. If you have more than that, you were already overequipping your comps. In the new system, you would have the same, except the "Gear" needs to be comp only.

All the Bonding and Enchants would be exchangable. So, unless you've overgeared, you shouldn't have spare Rank 8s and 9s, let alone 200.

I have hundreds of spare Enchants too, but that's because I'm a crazy pack rat and I find it hard to discard anything ....
  • Options
    I've got 3 r14 Bondings. Got 3 r11. Got 6 r10. 6 r9. 6 r7-8.

Mainly because I don't like having to pull and resocket every time I switch characters.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    greywynd said:

I've got 3 r14 Bondings. Got 3 r11. Got 6 r10. 6 r9. 6 r7-8.

Mainly because I don't like having to pull and resocket every time I switch characters.

I'm the same. I have at least 2 fully geared up Comps on every toon. Simply because I like the ability to switch between them. Sometimes I feel I need a healer or tank. Other times just another source of DPS. The comp change is almost tailor made for what I am doing so its great for me. I just got to get over the pack rat mentality .....

Tho, I'd like to clarify that "fully geared up" is still only in the rank 8-10 range so I'm nowhere near the endgame values with 14s everywhere.
  • Options
    dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    > @havlocke said:
    > whoa, i said i had all 15 on 5 active companions on 1 character,
    >
    >
    >
    > Yeah, but we got to take things in context. At this stage, FOR COMPANIONS, which is what this discussion is about, you would normally have 3 Bondings, 3 "Gear" and 6 Enchants per character. If you have more than that, you were already overequipping your comps. In the new system, you would have the same, except the "Gear" needs to be comp only.
    >
    > All the Bonding and Enchants would be exchangable. So, unless you've overgeared, you shouldn't have spare Rank 8s and 9s, let alone 200.
    >
    It's very common to gear and enchant a second comp.
    That's one way to optimize switching loadouts.

Most people cannot afford r14 bonding x 3 on the "alternative companion", but there is nothing "overgeared" about having one. Very convenient.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • Options

> @havlocke said:

> whoa, i said i had all 15 on 5 active companions on 1 character,

>

>

>

> Yeah, but we got to take things in context. At this stage, FOR COMPANIONS, which is what this discussion is about, you would normally have 3 Bondings, 3 "Gear" and 6 Enchants per character. If you have more than that, you were already overequipping your comps. In the new system, you would have the same, except the "Gear" needs to be comp only.

>

> All the Bonding and Enchants would be exchangable. So, unless you've overgeared, you shouldn't have spare Rank 8s and 9s, let alone 200.

>

It's very common to gear and enchant a second comp.

That's one way to optimize switching loadouts.

Most people cannot afford r14 bonding x 3 on the "alternative companion", but there is nothing "overgeared" about having one. Very convenient.

I suppose overgeared was not the best way to word it. Was just looking at it in terms of what would be surplus when we went to the new system. Personally, I have 2 comps geared up on all my toons as well.
  • Options
    nordveignordveig Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
    Haven't played this yet but not sure I like the sound of the changes to character creation. I like having choice and if they dumb it down to bad it might put me off the game. Flexibility with character creation seems a D&D thing if you restrict this it makes it less D&D. There are already aspects of this game that are lacking in this area but I've been ok with it, if they do more it could be a deal breaker.
  • Options

I'm not in a hurry getting them up to r14 level on all the characters. It happens when it happens.
  • Options
    c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    The Good : It is nice transition from MOD2 to MOD16. 14 MODS go into thin air or so.

The Bad : I got wrecked in VT by first group, same VT which in MOD15 I solo in a couple of minutes. My stats were EXTREMELY diminished. Possibly a bug, but I dunno...

The Ugly : Companions losing ability to have Enchantments.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User

The Bad : I got wrecked in VT by first group, same VT which in MOD15 I solo in a couple of minutes. My stats were EXTREMELY diminished. Possibly a bug, but I dunno...

This is actually Good: VT is not intended to be a solo zone, so that means they are getting things back under control.
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    As you can clearly see, by my 2 charts linked below, the Arbiter Cleric Encounter Powers are forced by the Feats chosen.

For example;
    If you choose Sacred Bastion with Savior's Steps and Enhanced Astral Shield, then you must choose; Scared Flame, Bastion of Health, and Astral Shield. (1,2,C) This build allow for 1 free encounter slot.

Diverge from these 3 feats and you are forced into 3 Encounter Powers without choice. The only other choice would be to make a feat useless. If you choose Repeated Blessings, Extended Exaltation, and Reserved Divinity (A,B,3) then you must pick 4 Encounters which is impossible to do.

The feat tree is carp. <3
    Maybe I did mean fish, maybe not.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    dingrongdingrong Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 65 Arc User
    good analysis! i am most bothered with feat/boon over simplicity and lack of choices.
  • Options
    vendoodvendood Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Wow... looking at those charts/selections... so that is what they mean by 'making fewer but more meaningful choices'. I guess if you only have a couple handfuls of HAMSTER to choose from, it is much more meaningful than having 3 handfuls of HAMSTER and 1 handful of actually useful stuff (the current trees).
  • Options
    andyufcfanandyufcfan Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    I'm concerned about how hard old content will be when this mod is official, I'm a console player and quite a few achievements to do that I never could, I've yet to even do the dungeons of the last two mods. But the hardest thing is "Complete the master Svardborg trial with no one in your party dying." only 0.5% or less of players have done it and it's been out for what, two years? I know there's a long time before it will hit us but what are your thoughts about this difficulty.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

I'm concerned about how hard old content will be when this mod is official, I'm a console player and quite a few achievements to do that I never could, I've yet to even do the dungeons of the last two mods. But the hardest thing is "Complete the master Svardborg trial with no one in your party dying." only 0.5% or less of players have done it and it's been out for what, two years? I know there's a long time before it will hit us but what are your thoughts about this difficulty.

Right now, some old content is absurdly hard, but that is generally because of scaling issues. Once the scaling has been fixed, older content should not be significantly harder than before for non-scaled players. It will be harder for downscaled players, of course. If you are a Lvl 80 player, doing lvl 60 content, you will not be able to one-shot everything - you will be like a normal lvl 60 player in that zone.

As for the Svardborg issue. I suggest gathering a group of people who have done it multiple times before, and advertise it as a "no death" run ... specifically to allow everyone to get the achivement. Worked for me.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    mikewho#5331 mikewho Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    Quick question guys is the old campaign content still playable?
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    why choose niche creature slaying for dinosaurs, not many would stay and farm them, waste of points for new boons. they are localized mobs, but taking undead slaying as 'maybe' since they are everywhere.
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User

Quick question guys is the old campaign content still playable?

I will agree with @greywynd 's Yes. and add, still broken too!

Module 16 is playable. But module 16 is going to make the game, more generic than ever. Right now in preview it is so easy to beat old content, most of my companions can kill major mobs and bosses. This could change and we could get a last minute nerf. If it doesn't change, you will fly through all content, and be standing around for months wondering what to do with your spare time. Look at my charts above. Everyone is given a total of 10 encounter powers to choose from but you can only pick 3, 4 if you are a wizard. However you are only given 10 Feats to choose 5 and this is where it gets real FUBAR. The Feats are THIS or THAT. The Feat you choose in some classes will drive what you can use in Encounter Powers, limiting the build to one way or the highway. It could have been better if they added another row, but they didn't and they are not, so let's not talk about it. Finally powers you used before might not be available on the same paragon path. Wizards get Disintegrate on Arcane while the other gets Icy Terrain and so on. This limits the builds to 1 maybe 2 good builds and the rest will be trash.

The only best way to make a build now is from the bottom up. Starting with your feats first and class features. By the time you have chosen them your Encounters and At-Wills are chosen by the Feats. Cleric is the worst to work with as far as I know. I don't have Paladins or Fighters. Even with a garbage build (I have tested) you can easily win against anything less than epic.

It is no longer a "thinking game", it is plug stuff in like a monkey and smash keys. You don't roll dice for stats. You don't swap builds for different situations. You just pick up a weapon and start hacking and slashing.

wb-cenders.gif