test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Impossible to play dungeons. Fix kicking and penalty system.

dolreydolrey Member Posts: 741 Arc User
edited May 2019 in Player Feedback (PC)
This thread was created 2 months ago so it is not that actual as before. Our technical support informed us that there is ban for leaving dungeon using portal or for staying afc (if somebody will complain about that in support). So number of trolls greatly decreased. But some points still can be tuned a bit.
______

Hello. In random queue there are the following problems:

1) Team can't kick somebody before X minutes in dungeon.
-This allows to different trolls to stay out of starting circle and not letting to players to start for example fight with demogorgon. Or they just leave dungeon using vip portal (still staying in party) or stay afc so we have fight without one player. It just waste time. I would not be so problematic if it would happen once per weak or something like that. But in practice it happens in 50% of trying to queue in dungeon.
-So let us kick player immediately please. No one wants to kick usual players but we should be able to kick trolls.

2) Team can't kick troll after some time in dungeon.
-Very often before last boss somebody in team just stay afc or leave so we can't start fighting with boss (because that player is not in circle) and we can't kick that troll because system protects him. And we only can to leave the instance without getting a reward. It happens too often to close eyes on this.
-Let us kick troll whenever it is needed please.

3) Voting for exit from instance can be started only after 15!! minutes.
-Often team understand that dungeon can't be completed with these characters. But everyone still have to wait 15!! minutes. Do you even know how annoying it is? And it happens so often..
-Could you please let us to leave dungeon whenever we want. Because now system is only annoying :(

4) Voting for kicking can be started on one character only one per 4 hours. FOUR hours!! Who came up with it at all?!
-Sometimes when there is troll in your team and everyone have kicking in cooldown all players have to wait 15 minutes before starting voting for leaving instance. Comeon...
-Let us kick trolls whenever we want.

5) Leaving queue causes 30 min penalty.
-Very often when dungeons evidently can't be completed and you team of new players just die again and again having 0 damage you just can't leave this sinking ship just because of that penalty..
-Let us leave hopeless instances whenever we want.

In the end of this thread I would like to say that for about 4 years of playing this game (before these changes in kicking system etc) I had NEVER been kicked after last boss or something like that. I had never faced with trolls in dungeons because I was able to press few buttons to kick troll.

But not only have I play broken content I also have to face with this annoying broken system protecting trolls almost in 50% of random queues.. Fix this please.

______
This thread was created 2 months ago so it is not that actual as before. Our technical support informed us that there is ban for leaving dungeon using portal or for staying afc (if somebody will complain about that in support). So number of trolls greatly decreased. But some points still can be tuned a bit.
Post edited by dolrey on

Comments

• feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I feel your pain, but at a certain point all players are on the honor system and it's hard to imagine how the kicking system can be changed both to prevent trolling and to prevent abuse of kicking.

I think there are better solutions such as:
    1) Realistic IL gates for public queues;
    2) Give the same AD awards for private queuing and specific dungeon/trial queuing as for random queues;

I thought the current random queue/AD reward system was a bad idea when implemented and I said so. Several mods of experience with it have not changed my mind.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    Give penalty when leaving for any reason. With no way to avoid a penalty, people would be more inclined to leave instead of disconnecting and starting their penalty 5 minutes later. And there will be no incentive to troll to be kicked.

The 4-hour cooldown on kicking is about right. I haven't seen anyone try to kick a lowbie on sight. And the 15 minute wait to vote abandon is also about right. Abandon votes coming earlier are more likely to fail because newer players can be more optimistic and think they can happy-talk their way pass orcus in ToNG. They may need a fail or two to encourage throwing in the towel.

Sadly, the kick system is needed so players can be more civil to others.
    dolrey said:

In the end of this thread I would like to say that for about 4 years of playing this game (before these changes in kicking system etc) I had NEVER been kicked after last boss or something like that. I had never faced with trolls in dungeons because I was able to press few buttons to kick troll.

I've been around since mod 2. Kicking at final boss for loot was pretty rampant. The somewhat decent one would let you get your chest first before they kicked you. I almost quit the game over it. I'd imagine lots of players did. Eventually, when entered a run and saw three people from the same guild, I would just leave. That was annoying, but better than doing 1-hour run only to get kicked at the end without getting your chest.
    dolrey said:

But not only have I play broken content I also have to face with this annoying broken system protecting trolls almost in 50% of random queues.. Fix this please.

I cannot remember the last time I saw a troll. Maybe that is because I normally do REQ/RAQ queue with a DC and have no problem with taking a penalty if I see something I don't like. If I hung around waiting for some one else to leave first, then I probably would see more trolls trying to get themselves kicked.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Too many people just sit around and wait to abandon the instance now. Wastes everyone else's time.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    dolrey said:

Hello. In random queue there are the following problems:

1) Team can't kick somebody before X minutes in dungeon.
    -This allows to different trolls to stay out of starting circle and not letting to players to start for example fight with demogorgon. Or they just leave dungeon using vip portal (still staying in party) or stay afc so we have fight without one player. It just waste time. I would not be so problematic if it would happen once per weak or something like that. But in practice it happens in 50% of trying to queue in dungeon.
    -So let us kick player immediately please. No one wants to kick usual players but we should be able to kick trolls.

2) Team can't kick troll after some time in dungeon.
    -Very often before last boss somebody in team just stay afc or leave so we can't start fighting with boss (because that player is not in circle) and we can't kick that troll because system protects him. And we only can to leave the instance without getting a reward. It happens too often to close yes on this.
    -Let us kick troll whenever it is needed please.

3) Voting for exit from instance can be started only after 15!! minutes.
    -Often team understand that dungeon can't be completed with these characters. But everyone still have to wait 15!! minutes. Do you even know how annoying it is? And it happens so often..
    -Could you please let us to leave dungeon whenever we want. Because now system is only annoying :(

4) Voting for kicking can be started on one character only one per 4 hours. FOUR hours!! Who came up with it at all?!
    -Sometimes when there is troll in your team and everyone have kicking in cooldown all players have to wait 15 minutes before starting voting for leaving instance. Comeon...
    -Let us kick trolls whenever we want.

5) Leaving queue causes 30 min penalty.
    -Very often when dungeons evidently can't be completed and you team of new players just die again and again having 0 damage you just can't leave this sinking ship just because of that penalty..
    -Let us leave hopeless instances whenever we want.

I have been kicked out of dozens of dungeons, and even a few skirmishes. I have never gone AFK. or done anything other than try my best to contribute to whatever group I was a party for.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

Give penalty when leaving for any reason. With no way to avoid a penalty, people would be more inclined to leave instead of disconnecting and starting their penalty 5 minutes later. And there will be no incentive to troll to be kicked.

The 4-hour cooldown on kicking is about right. I haven't seen anyone try to kick a lowbie on sight. And the 15 minute wait to vote abandon is also about right. Abandon votes coming earlier are more likely to fail because newer players can be more optimistic and think they can happy-talk their way pass orcus in ToNG. They may need a fail or two to encourage throwing in the towel.

Sadly, the kick system is needed so players can be more civil to others.

I have been that lowbie kicked within seconds of loading into a dungeon.
    dolrey said:

But currently now dungeon can't even be completed if troll will decide so. He just can stay out of starting circle before last boss and we will not be able to kick him. Or he even can leave this character and go to play another one. And his 1st character stil lwill be in our team as disconnected.

It was recently changed that if a player switches to another character, the first character will be removed from the instance and a penalty given at that time. Devs should change it so if the server removes a disconnected player after 5 minutes, a penalty is also given. No more 5-minute "penalty" by disconnecting.

Again, trolls exist because they want to get kicked to avoid the penalty. If penalty if given no matter how the player leaves a run and there will be no trolls.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    I'm with Akemnos.

Some people want perfect.

They have no time for someone that dies once, even if four of them are level capped and the one that dies is of proper level for the instance.

"Clearly you are not worthy".
    "You will only slow us down because your speed isn't capped".
    "We are all at the end waiting for you. Why should we have to wait for you to run back through the instance, having to fight enemies that we didn't clear because our speed made it unnecessary"?

And so if the game offers at-will kicking then players will happily kick anyone that doesn't fit their image of "worthiness".

They had to put some limits in. They had to.

Arguing to remove limits is asking for this abuse of kicking power to return.
    It may be sad but it's true.

The best solution may be to reduce leaving penalties while expanding what qualifies as leaving.

You get DCed? You are removed from the party. You leave the dungeon? You are removed from the party.

Sometimes those DCs are legit, but what can be done? You take the reduced penalty, whatever that is, and give it another try.
    At least the people that are trying to run will be given a better chance at finding people that want to be there while still trying to protect players from kick-happy groups.
  • robai#6206 robai Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    In similar thread I posted this:

1) Yes, please allow to kick anytime (if all 4 members wants it, then there is a good reason for it, why the 5 mins timer?).

I see one possible problem: a player don't wan't to do a dungeon and then he just go AFK and wait until party members kick him and then he just go to other random queue WITHOUT A PENALTY.
    Solution: give a penalty to the kicked player

2) On top of that, there should be auto-replacing mechanism for AFK (or offline) players, so that there would be no need to do a vote at all. This should be done for non-private queues only of course.
    For example, if a player goes AFK (or offline) for 1 min then he should be auto-replaced with a new random member.

The auto-replaced player should have a penalty too (the one that was removed I mean).

3) Maybe the exception is Illusionist Gambit. I don't know how to fix that. The problem is that it appears in a random queue and most people do random queue for AD, not for the items that drops from it, so many wants to do just the first round. If 3 of 5 players wants to continue rounds then the 2 players have no fun and might just go AFK (not to mention that the default option is to continue rounds). Possible solution: continue only when all 5 players wants to continue. Now you can give a penalty if a player is kicked of auto-replaced (since he agreed to continue). As for the first round the rule is the same as in any other random queue (i.e. can be kicked anytime, and auto-replaced if AFK or offline and a penalty is given).

4) In leveling random dungeons (like Cloak Tower, etc.) there should be no penalty for a kicked player, also no need to auto-replace AFK or offline players. But please remove the "gather all party members" thing from leveling queues (this way there will be much less reasons for kicking a player). Also to avoid the abuse of getting the AD why standing at the start and doing nothing, give the reward to a player only when he reaches the end boss (this can't be abused since such player will have a risk of being kicked, and he still has to run all the way to the end).
    Possible problem: some players don't want to run some longer dungeons and just wait until being kicked (abandoning dungeon should still give a penalty). This is not a big problem, because if "gather all party members" thing will be removed then kicking a player would be like a gift (since he could do a faster dungeon instead without a penalty), many players won't give such a gift, so I don't see a problem here (if you voted to kick you can't abandon dungeon without a penalty, but you can vote to abandon instance without a penalty if 10 min (or so) timer has passed). So I don't see any abuse here.

5) Now what penalty should be? The timer isn't a real penalty since the player can just do it later (4 hours I think) without a penalty.
    If a player was kicked from a non-random queue then there is no need to add a penalty (the penalty is already given for the time wasted in that dungeon).
    If a player was kicked (or auto-replaced) from a random dungeon (or CTA) then there should be -25% penalty to the daily bonus (-25% rewards in CTA case) for the next time he does the same type of queue, and it shouldn't matter when a player does that next run (today, tomorrow, a week later, etc.). The penalty should be removed only when a player completes that type of dungeon while having a penalty. Penalties shouldn't stack, because it's already a good reason to avoid this penalty and it's not too harsh for those who were actually innocent.

Possible problem: a player lose connection often and that way he might have penalties often. Well, IMO the bigger problem is that the offline player causes problems for other 4 party members (4 players is more important than 1 player).
    Just a reminder: penalties should apply only for random queues (and only in non leveling content), not for private queues.
    Also keep in mind that it's just -25% penalty, so I don't really see a problem here.

• dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    I dunno.
    Search the forum archives.
    I've seen the "More kicking!"/"Less kicking!" forum outcry pendulum swing for >5 years.
    Anyone here remember original CN? Players were kicked after the last boss before getting their chest.
    Outcry. Kick restrictions.

A few years later camping was rampant. Outcry. Kick expansion.

A year later there was rampant leavers. Outcry. Leaver penalty.

But the leaver penalty was harsh and too broad and unfair. Outcry. Leavery penalty was restricted.

Then people were getting vote-kicked at the start for item level discrimination. Outcry. Kick locked on timer.

And so the pendulum swings on.
    We keep complaining in opposite directions. They make blunt changes in opposite directions that never make anyone happy.

Currently, it's not terrible. I say leave it as is.
    We have to choose our battles.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    Easy there, @dolrey. You already got a lot of what you asked for Mod 16. Don't give them any more ideas. :p
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
    dolrey said:

dolrey said:

But currently now dungeon can't even be completed if troll will decide so. He just can stay out of starting circle before last boss and we will not be able to kick him. Or he even can leave this character and go to play another one. And his 1st character stil lwill be in our team as disconnected.

It was recently changed that if a player switches to another character, the first character will be removed from the instance and a penalty given at that time. Devs should change it so if the server removes a disconnected player after 5 minutes, a penalty is also given. No more 5-minute "penalty" by disconnecting.

Again, trolls exist because they want to get kicked to avoid the penalty. If penalty if given no matter how the player leaves a run and there will be no trolls.

Few days earlier we came to the last boss in ToNG. One player just disconnected. We weren't able to kick him because it was too late. And we were not able to start fight with last boss because there were not 5 characters in starting circle.

And why this can happen? Players still can abuse this system. Nothing changed into good side. Everything just became even worse!!
    As far as I know, the only restriction to kicking is the player must be in the instance for 5 minutes. If you cannot kick after that, it is a bug. I've seen bugs like that. They should be fixed as it can be annoying not able to kick to proceed.
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    If you are having true disconnect issues then you need to figure out what is wrong with your system, your connection, for the game environment might be unstable at that time. Some content is buggy like Tales of Old with lots of disconnects.

What I would like to see is a create a queue system where anyone can create a party queue, give it a descriptive name, pick from a list what you are queuing for (even campaigns or events), pick from a list certain options for this group (shared gold pick up, no green pick up, disconnects are dropped after 2 minutes, item level restrictions, etc). And allow these groups to pull their daily AD for runs. You could still have strait up random queues if you want for runs and events, but putting in a better party creation mechanic would be a god sent.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,090 Arc User
    Don't be a troll and the penalty wouldn't be necessary, don't you think?
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    The penalty has to go, plain and simple.
    It "fixes" a problem that never existed in the first place while creating two much bigger ones.

Let's recap what the penalty does:

1) When one wants to leave, he'll just go offline/afk waiting to be kicked (or worse, he'll start playing bad on purpose, causing wipes left and right), Keeping the whole team with less players for a while. If they could leave right away, without penalty, the team could start looking for replacements much sooner.

2) When there's a boss that is a bit too difficult for the current team, when one player wants to leave he WILL START A VOTE TO ABANDON INSTANCE, and, if it succeeds, it will force everyone else to leave as well, even those who want to stay and try to finish the dungeon with replacement members.

Leavers penalty and Vote to Abandon have to go, they stifle progression artificially for EVERYONE in the public queue, while providing no actual benefit to ANYONE. Let the quitters leave, the stayers will replace them.

Here's what they should do:

1) Remove Leavers penalty.
    2) Remove Vote to Abandon Instance feature.
    3) Reduce cooldown of vote kick from 4 hours to 5 minutes.

And the situation would DRAMATICALLY improve. For everyone.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,090 Arc User
    And you totally ignore the reasons why it was ever implemented in the first place.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    edited March 2019
    The reasons why it was ever implemented in the first place are not being adressed by the penalty anyway, since the abusers, the quitters, etc... just walk around it by going afk/offline.

IT SIMPLY DOES NOT WORK.

It's a cure that does more harm than the disease, that's what it is.

Also, it might be not harmful to remind, that back then when there was no quitter's penalty, there was also a different queue system that made it harder to request reinforcements to replace those who had left and was sometimes even buggy. (it stopped working after a while)

Vote kick was also implemented differently than toay (in fact it didnt even exist in the first mods).
    Post edited by klangeddin on

If they could leave right away, without penalty, the team could start looking for replacements much sooner.

More like lower-than average teams waiting for a long time, if not forever, for a tank/heal (assuming they will still be the rarer classes in mod 16) willing to stay. Every tank/heal will be surfing for the fastest run.

The fix is really simple. Give penalty no matter how one leaves. With no way to avoid penalty, either endure if the run can be done, or cut your losses and leave. There is no guarantee in PUGing.
    edited March 2019

If they could leave right away, without penalty, the team could start looking for replacements much sooner.

More like lower-than average teams waiting for a long time, if not forever, for a tank/heal (assuming they will still be the rarer classes in mod 16) willing to stay. Every tank/heal will be surfing for the fastest run.

The fix is really simple. Give penalty no matter how one leaves. With no way to avoid penalty, either endure if the run can be done, or cut your losses and leave. There is no guarantee in PUGing.
    It's technically not possible without punishing even innocent players.
    Take a disconnect for example, you'd give a penalty for someone who has a sudden disconnect? That can happen, and probably has happened to everyone. Where is the logic in that? Cause if you don't, all that an abuser has to do has to emulate it via alt+f4 or interrupting the process.

And that's not all. Because an abuser who wants to avoid the penalty might go afk and wait for the vote kick. There is no leave there. You're gonna give quitters penalty to those who are kicked too? This would open the feature to an incredible level of abuse and griefing, and it would definitely be a bad idea.

And finally, you cannot force to stay someone who does not want to stay, "punishing them" is not really punishing them at all. You're punishing the players who are staying, as I already explained above. No matter what you do, THOSE are the players you are really hitting, the ones inside the dungeon, not the one who just left and either avoided the penalty entirely or took it and LAUGHED at it.

Please, refrain from giving suggestions that would cause more harm than good to the vast majority of the player base.
    edited March 2019

It's technically not possible without punishing even innocent players.
    Take a disconnect for example, you'd give a penalty for someone who has a sudden disconnect? That can happen, and probably has happened to everyone. Where is the logic in that? Cause if you don't, all that an abuser has to do has to emulate it via alt+f4 or interrupting the process.

You got 5 minutes to reconnect. If it takes you more thank 5 minutes to reconnect, you got bigger problems. The number of legit disconnects not not able to reconnect in 5 minutes is minuscule compared to the amount of people "disconnecting" for a 5 minute penalty. This inconveniences the rest of the party.

And that's not all. Because an abuser who wants to avoid the penalty might go afk and wait for the vote kick. There is no leave there. You're gonna give quitters penalty to those who are kicked too? This would open the feature to an incredible level of abuse and griefing, and it would definitely be a bad idea.

Not a problem. With the 4-hour kick timer, no one kicks except trolls and not able to finish boss. If you got kicked for performance, then try to anticipate that in the future and cut your losses if you think you will be kicked.

And finally, you cannot force to stay someone who does not want to stay, "punishing them" is not really punishing them at all.

Who is forcing who to stay? Everyone is free to leave, just take the penalty.

Please, refrain from giving suggestions that would cause more harm than good to the vast majority of the player base.

Unfortunately, rules are required for players to be civil to each other. laissez-faire policy means rampant abuse.

And the rules should be simple also, so people can't game the system. Doesn't get simpler than penalty for all leaves.
    edited March 2019

Not a problem. With the 4-hour kick timer, no one kicks except trolls and not able to finish boss. If you got kicked for performance, then try to anticipate that in the future and cut your losses if you think you will be kicked.

The 4 hour kick timer actually exacerbates the problem. It increases the likelyhood that an abuser will find himself in a party where no one can kick him out, this actually screws everyone, since the abuser will stay afk and the party won't be able to progress at all. So it's either abandon instance (everyone is punished with a 15 minutes waste) or someone innocent bites the bullet and takes the penalty. And besides, the abuser WANTS to be kicked so he can avoid the penalty.
    And the "no one kicks except trolls and not able to finish boss" sentence is just plain false. Vote kicks happen for various reasons. Sometimes people even ask to be kicked directly so they can avoid the penalty (and people comply to the request).

Who is forcing who to stay? Everyone is free to leave, just take the penalty.

And what does it accomplish then? Nothing. The penalty, in theory, should be an incentive to stay. If it's bypassed or just taken, then it fails its original purpose and it just leaves open a door for abuse for those who intend to bypass it.
    The fact is that the penalty has not proven to be an incentive to stay and finish the instance, at all.

Unfortunately, rules are required for players to be civil to each other. laissez-faire policy means rampant abuse.

Rampant abuse is what we have right now. And it's what we will always have until we have this penalty put in place. It will not change no matter what you do. It's the penalty that it's giving the incentive to game it. It's the penalty that is driving all of the abusers to go afk, go offline, play bad on purpose, ecc... And it's the penalty that is driving the late-game quitters to FORCE the ABANDON INSTANCE into everyone else because they don't want to take the penalty.