test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who Else Hates the New Approach to Crafting?

I was looking forward to an easier, faster crafting system with a more interactive feel. I did not expect that all my hard work leveling crafts and acquiring materials would now mean nothing. Nor did I expect that crafting would actually take LONGER if you want to craft in multiple categories! Why? because you can only have four assistants at a time, and you have to wait for new assistants to become available. I could go on... but you'll see for yourself. Basically, crafting in Neverwinter is now a joke and not worth doing.
Tagged:

Comments

• bigmommabird#7542 bigmommabird Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    How do you get to level 2? The quest calls for high-quality materials you cannot yet gather or craft. And I still stand by my point that all my hard work has been for nothing. It's also annoying to have to keep traveling to PE every time you want to do something.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    I'm kind of stuck finishing some initial blacksmithing quests. It's not exactly intuitive for a player used to the old system.
  • dingoballzdingoballz Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    I have to agree and I had tried it out on preview so I knew how bad it was "HORRIBLE"that's about best way to describe it when compared to what it was. I had a lot of purple workers before and now it gave me 3 and 1 of those disappeared so in my workshop I only ended up with 2 go figure. Years of time and money to get the professions I wanted all gone .Stupidly over complcated to what we had. Also on a different toon it never gave me the box or bag in my pack but the stupid green box is there telling me to open pack and clik on it so that toon cannot even start professions or get those that I was already working on b4 the POS mod update. All I wanted was to get those but no you have to do a series of boring stupid unrewarding quests just to get to them.
    "What is the sense of living the life you're given if all you ever do is stand in one place?" Lord Huron
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    andy#7236 said:

Had 16 toons doing professions, new mod drops not interested at all now.

Right now I'm not feeling a lot of motivation to work the professions at all. It took a LOT of time to get my main and alts to level 25 Leadership, as anyone who's done that knows.

It does not feel like that time commitment from the past is being honored in the new system. It does feel like I'm expected to just start over, in a new system, with little to no real guidance from the system itself.

It does feel like there's an expectation that players will lean on other players to figure out how to make the new professions work. Which is a god awful way to implement change management.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    One thing to keep in mind is that many people were only using the profession system for leadership tasks, as a way to get RPs. If you are in that category then no...the new system is probably not going to appeal to you - it is purely aimed at dedicated crafters.

I guess I'm one of the "dedicated crafters", with masterwork at max rank in all professions, and quite frankly, it isn't that bad. Sure, it takes a few days to get your workshop to rank 4, and a while until you have a full set of purple artisans working for you, but from that point on it is too much of a hassle.

This assumes you were at 25 already, of course, and had prepared for the new system by stocking up on what was needed. If not, or if you are starting professions from scratch, then yeas...it would probably feel...painful.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    I dislike the new crafting system and I was heavily involved with the old MW (To the point I invested 100's of millions of AD into it). My primary reason for disliking it is because of the rush costs now requiring you to interact with a specific NPC in order to refresh morale quite frequently. I liked to craft in either vellosk or the SH map, now I am forced to stand next to this 1 specific npc to constantly purchase morale and then endure load screens to go to the SH if I want to spend guild marks.
  • jandemannjandemann Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 46 Arc User
    Biggest issue that I have, is the new Purp artisans, I haven't found one that isn't a diva and desires 200% commission and they take their time with speed bonus as well :persevere: however, I did find a blue jewelcrafter that would really like to shine...-75% commission and a good speed bonus (can't remember what it was, but better than zero :D )
    Angry Inch lvl 70 OP and his NOT SO merry band of other Angry Campfire Hero toons
    Starks Alliance
  • jandemannjandemann Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 46 Arc User
    Oh and Callum the retainer being bugged, well that was just rude...one of my toons now has to wait for a "fix".....hopefully we see that soon....but...not staying up all night to see that happen ;)
    Angry Inch lvl 70 OP and his NOT SO merry band of other Angry Campfire Hero toons
    Starks Alliance
  • entropy#7953 entropy Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I have to agree that the new system is just too complex, time consuming and just aggravating. If I had wanted this kind of stuff I'd be playing a city/nation building game. No time for professions on all the toons I had working on them, no interest in going through all these stupid little quests to get them started anyway. Maybe time to look for a new game... Cryptic has gone too far trying to get more $$$$$ this time.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I don't want to start to express what I think about those +1 focus results with the maybe working focus bonuses and the Zen supplements.
    There are not enough hamster bloody bodies I can put in my post to express the feeling I have for this bugged, convoluted system.

The whole workshop visually great, well designed, with a story and all that, except the bugs and the costs.

There are great ideas there, the UI almost there, with search, and room for tasks without scrolling to death, but no drill down the production chain..

But the system... the system...

1. I want to see how they keep it updated and balanced next mod and after, this is a white elephant system, every resource needs a matching +1, and the cost of production can't be easily predicted.

2. Convoluted focus calculation, more chance for bugs... oh wait, it is not clear and it is bugged.

3. Artisans - lets sink us completely, 5 years of crafting on multiple chars, and this hard reset can get some useless blue artisans in one profession. Want to do it right? Get more chars with MW.. Invest tens of millions per char, or wait until it is no longer relevant (next mod) - see point number 2.

4. Anyone said SH NPCs? Yeah right, those do not have +1 resources, factor that in in the new costs..

5. Did I mention two possible successful results from a single task? Even the bloody UI doesn't support that great 'feature'.

It was so close to be a great system, but like so many things before, it falls on the details..
  • riddervold#9543 riddervold Member Posts: 15 Arc User

Its pretty simple...they know this mod 15 is horrible...they will lose a lot of the current player base...

...as a TR you think im gonna accept going back to being the poor child of the classes?
    ...or waist time deciphering recipes to craft an item of minor quality in a year?....pfff!

...this mod is made to create "PLAYTIME" artificially....its also made to clear the slate of old players....

...nothing new is to be gained from all this work...its just a re shuffling of the deck!
    ...its just making everything new again, very complicated and above all NOT FUN!

....but they dont care...
    ...thats why they have this "Neverwinter recruitment drive" event for the next 2 months....

....it is so they can replace the leaving players with new players who are unaware of their ways!...
    ..their way is...make you work very hard to acquire a little power....
    ...and then nerf everything in an upcoming module....
    ....basically taking away what took you months to gain and then some!....(remember the bonding nerf earlier this year?)
    ....giving you the incredible "opportunity" to re-invest half your life in trying to bring your character to respectability again!...

....therefore creating creating "playtime".......genius!
    ....but after a little over a year of play most people will have been through the cycle and will leave...
    ....it is kind of the concept of this game....
    ...its not a game made to play more than a year or so...
    ...then maybe comeback another couple years later...to put yourself through the cycle again...

...and its a shame...

......because with a little creativity you could keep the content and experience fresh by...

...randomly generating the enemies location and enemy party composition in dungeon runs...ensuring no 2 runs are the same!...

...offer Master version of the old dungeons...CN, ELOL, TUERN, Kessel...etc...
    they are now too easy because of the powerful gear and are at best a 2 or 3 man "challenge"

...give level 70 a reason to re-visit all the cool maps we zip through while leveling to 70....what a waist of awesome maps...

...promoting or enhancing the PvP mode by making it a guild pride oriented affair...
    ...where you have to be able to represent the guild...game wide medieval-type tournaments...
    ...with a certain prestige granted to the reigning faction/guild/player...
    ...dunno...maybe a building in PE flying their colours/logo....
    ...giving you a motivation to partake in that aspect of the game......

....different game modes...dunno....RENEGADE!...where bounty could be put on someone or a group...
    ....with people chasing you all over the maps.....

...you know....FUN STUFF!...
    ....no need for extra bandwith for that....
    ...just a little creative recycling...

...but no...that's not happening!...

....instead we get "new content" that locks us in a shop...while you got all these massive maps sitting empty...basically unused!
    ...and as i said earlier...im a TR...so...since they traded my sharp knives for a couple table spoons...not much left to do...
    ...its happened to me too...i HAVE REACH THE END OF MY NEVERWINTER CYCLE....heartbreaking...but also inevitable!

Sad!

I keep coming back to "why?"...why would they make such bad business decisions? It's like they're "throwing the game" so to speak. Shallow, goofy, boring, low-level campaign content. The crafting system is neither intuitive nor player friendly. What an insult to the time, effort, and AD/rl money people spent creating profession armies and buying character slots for otherwise useless alts. The exchange value for old craftsmen and tools is ridiculous. It's like a slap to the face, a punch to the gut, and a knee to the groin.

What you suggest is interesting...trying to raze the tenured player base and replace them with naive players who will buy into the cycle of "spend money, get ahead, get nerfed, spend money, get ahead, get nerfed". I didn't mind spending money...just not to find myself back where I was, or worse!

I too main a TR and am over the red-headed stepchild treatment this class seems to get.

The writing's been on the wall for me but I expected to make it through Apil '19 when my VIP ends. I'll probably log in for 1-2 hours a week to advance my main in AI and soon just to grab my key and open my lock box.

Like you said, sad but inevitable.

• juergeng123juergeng123 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    The new system sucks. becaus you have to invest more time and mor curency (gold) to do the things. the high amount on supplys the upgrade of the workshop costs is stupid. Ihis mod 15 is a game killer.
    Schließe dich meiner Gilde Valindras Fear an Gildenhalle 20 Marktplatz 9 Stall 9 Kasserne 9, Entdeckergilde 9
    Join my guild Valindras Fear GH20 Marketplace 9 Stable 9 Barracs 9 Explorer Guild 9

The tools you can get from the exchange are worthless, they don't even give you a 100% success chance when making max level recipes.

You didn't have 100% success chance in the past either...even with a mythic forgehammer and a set of legendary tools you were limited to a 95% chance, and most people only had a 75% chance for the masterwork recipes.

You can get a similar success rate toay - thing is, the new crafting system has a lot of issues - it is cumbersome and most of the things you can make are pretty much pointless, but the success rate issue is not one of the main problems.

edited November 2018
    micky1p00 said:

3. Artisans - lets sink us completely, 5 years of crafting on multiple chars, and this hard reset can get some useless blue artisans in one profession.

Well, it's not quite that bad.... you can claim three free purple artisans in any profession you want, so you do get "something" for your previous hard work.

I'm not a big fan of the new system - it does suffer from a bad design combined with multiple quality issues, but it is not totally worthless.

• micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    adinosii said:

micky1p00 said:

3. Artisans - lets sink us completely, 5 years of crafting on multiple chars, and this hard reset can get some useless blue artisans in one profession.

Well, it's not quite that bad.... you can claim three free purple artisans in any profession you want, so you do get "something" for your previous hard work.

I'm not a big fan of the new system - it does suffer from a bad design combined with multiple quality issues, but it is not totally worthless.

I understand what you mean, but those 9 slot is worthless on all chars except the 1,2 I will have to focus on now, because I can't transfer Artisans.

My original meaning was about the recruitment packs, for the 200k (IIRC), all my combined assets worth millions and millions of AD will combined to a nice useless chance at a blue Artisan I don't need and if I pray really hard, maybe I get a purple I don't need.

More so with how the Artisans are set up and number of slots, I have to focus on specific few professions per char, and while I have more than one with gond and MW, this is an enormous sink, for which those that rich enough to unlock fast and invest now will benefit (maybe) and those that will linger (most people) just loose. But I digress, my point, is that to get back even somewhat close to the former ability of above 70% (On MW) it will require a huge investment in AD/ZEN that liquidating the old assets doesn't even begin to cover.
  • dingoballzdingoballz Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    Bad bad bad is all I can say about it. Hope it bites them in the pocket book . I now only play 2 out of 12 toon's because of this bs. No way I want to even try to run them all thru this headache. So if I no longer will be playing them there will be no reason to build them up or upgrade their stuff . Meaning guess not a lot of reason to buy zen for them to use now is it. Great timing on their behalf seeing how their big sale is coming up soon. Sure changed my mind about it.
    "What is the sense of living the life you're given if all you ever do is stand in one place?" Lord Huron
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    OK, I am starting to understand the new system. I dislike it but I am finally starting to get it. One thing I am still a bit foggy on... how am I suppose to generate the gold this new system is sinking? Am I suppose to sell my wares to the diva at the trading company? It looked like all I get is vouchers or something for that.

How do I generate gold?
  • wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    kreatyve said:

You really should test stuff out more before you make your judgements. You can have more than 4 workers once you level up your workshop. At level 2, I have 14 workers.

Actually people had lots of time to test new stuff on preview and can voice their opinion and make judgments being pretty sure on how they feel like.
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User

How do you get to level 2? The quest calls for high-quality materials you cannot yet gather or craft. And I still stand by my point that all my hard work has been for nothing. It's also annoying to have to keep traveling to PE every time you want to do something.

You can craft it. I had four characters to workshop level 3 the night the update came out. As of last night, I'm up to eight. If not for the Callum bug (and my lack of awareness of it), I would have 10 of 17 characters to workshop level 3. After today's update, I expect to have 14 of 17 characters to workshop level 3 tonight. By the weekend, the last three will also be done. You just need to spend some time looking at the system, learning about it, and then perhaps asking for a little help. People in my alliance are able to get what they need to get workshop level 2 from me just for the price of asking nicely. Check your alliance for such a person.
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User

kreatyve said:

You really should test stuff out more before you make your judgements. You can have more than 4 workers once you level up your workshop. At level 2, I have 14 workers.

Actually people had lots of time to test new stuff on preview and can voice their opinion and make judgments being pretty sure on how they feel like.
    While what you say is true, the OP hasn't stepped foot onto the preview server and has no knowledge of the system beyond spending a few minutes trying to work through the tutorial. If they had, then they'd know the 'green boxes' go away once you're done with the tutorial. I've been doing a fair bit of crafting to help my characters and other people and it's been very smooth and required so much less time to do than the old system required of me that it's hard to accurately quantify the difference. I'm now spending about five or 10 minutes total per day on crafting, where before I was spending two hours or more.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 452 Arc User

You can craft it. I had four characters to workshop level 3 the night the update came out. As of last night, I'm up to eight. If not for the Callum bug (and my lack of awareness of it), I would have 10 of 17 characters to workshop level 3. After today's update, I expect to have 14 of 17 characters to workshop level 3 tonight. By the weekend, the last three will also be done. You just need to spend some time looking at the system, learning about it, and then perhaps asking for a little help. People in my alliance are able to get what they need to get workshop level 2 from me just for the price of asking nicely. Check your alliance for such a person.
    While this may be true for you, me and anyone who had already leveled in the old system, this is a bleeding headache for new, low level players. Because with the low level artisans, low level equipment and no actual level in any profession, the chance to gather or make a +1 item is low.
    I know because I tried on my alt account where my level 32 CW had never touched the profession system.
    Result? A 15-20% chance to get a +1 item, any of them. Depending on how much the RNG hated me on that day it could take a long time to get that +1 item and be able to progress.
    So let me put it this way. If I was a new player in this game, this alone would keep me far, far away from the profession system. And on its own make me reconsider my involvement with the game. When something is this badly implemented in a game this old, it rarely heralds good things.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    adinosii said:

The tools you can get from the exchange are worthless, they don't even give you a 100% success chance when making max level recipes.

You didn't have 100% success chance in the past either...even with a mythic forgehammer and a set of legendary tools you were limited to a 95% chance, and most people only had a 75% chance for the masterwork recipes.

You can get a similar success rate toay - thing is, the new crafting system has a lot of issues - it is cumbersome and most of the things you can make are pretty much pointless, but the success rate issue is not one of the main problems.

I'm not talking about masterwork, I'm talking about normal level 70 recipes. And I'm not talking about the chance to get +1 result, I mean the base chance to not fail. An adamantine tool you get from the exchange gives 360 proficiency, so you need 440 on a craftsman without high quality materials. I don't have a single one that would even have 400.

Not to mention that you can MAKE all those tools using professions, and make them +1 which is better than what you get from the exchange. This is a slap in the face with a floppy purple HAMSTER.
    adinosii said:

Yeah, enjoy those -50-75% speed artisans.
    Post edited by katbozejziemi on