test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

M15: Control Wizard Class Changes

Comments

• bluebubbl3sbluebubbl3s Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    you know... i had a post all written up wondering if anyone at cryptic actually plays a wizard. they dont from what i can tell.

i didnt post that, and now i kinda wish i had, cause look above.... maybe you devs should actually pay Sharp to work out the math for you if its too friggin hard, and actually FIX the wizard, not make it worse.
    Myth (CW & DC)
    Guild Leader - Valaurakari Ascension

VA is the creator and proud member of The Round Table Alliance
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    The following powers are not buffed by uncontrolled obliteration:

Abyss of Chaos
    Arcane Power Field
    Arcane Singularity
    Furious Immolation (1st Hit)
    Furious Immolation (2nd Hit)
    Icy Terrain (DoT, the first hit is buffed)
    Maelstrom of Chaos
    Rimefire Smolder
    Smoulder
    Storm Fury
    Sudden Storm (Normal Arc)
    Sudden Storm (Normal DoT)
    Sudden Storm (Normal)

Chaotic Speed does not show on screen when it procs with a log entry of type "showpowerdisplayname" and the movement buff provided is not visible on your character sheet, although the buff is noticeable.

The DoT on Storm Pillar does not benefit from Power Surge.
    Post edited by thefabricant on
  • modlesiemodlesie Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    So basicly:
    You are looking at encounters changes- yes! finally some love for CWs

And then you are looking at feats and....

o_O

Nerf

GG :) still no reason to log into this game

Cryptic, as always- i knew we can count on you :D

Greeting from other world
    Obsydian666 d(^,^)b
  • cheesey#4444 cheesey Member Posts: 54 Arc User

The major elephant in the room is CW feats. The biggest issue is, the capstone feats for CW are worse then the ordinary feats. It is almost at the point where I am considering running builds without capstones. For example, the 10% instance wide buff that is Controlled Momentum, is much better then Shatter. CW capstones really do need a little bit of a facelift, to give them some flavour.

What changes would you like to see done to improve/rework Assailing Force and Shatter Strike?
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I'm sure it's too late to implement at this point, but it could really help SS a lot to make Storm Spell a core class mechanic (could call it 'Shock') like Smolder instead of a passive. This would allow SS to slot Chilling Presence AND Arcane Presence, Evocation, etc. The Storm Spell passive could also be changed to enhance 'Shock' in some way or another like how MoF passives do.

EDIT: Something else I realized is that the Chilling Presence off-hand feature increases the effectiveness of the chill stack damage bonus by 50% now instead of 25%.
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    pterias said:

I'm sure it's too late to implement at this point, but it could really help SS a lot to make Storm Spell a core class mechanic (could call it 'Shock') like Smolder instead of a passive. This would allow SS to slot Chilling Presence AND Arcane Presence, Evocation, etc. The Storm Spell passive could also be changed to enhance 'Shock' in some way or another like how MoF passives do.

Would be just like Cryptic to nerf crit builds the moment I get 100% crit chance by changing Storm spell to a passive feature and then saying because it's a passive feature, it needs to deal a lot less damage...

Then again here's an idea: Change Storm Spell to "whenever you critically hit, you deal that X damage to one enemy with Y feet. If there are no other enemies, you instead deal this damage to the target."

Thematic, makes CWs the AOE king, but makes the feature usable in 1 on 1 combat still. Also, change the name to Lightning Arc because that's the 4E feat that basically does what I described.
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User

pterias said:

Would be just like Cryptic to nerf crit builds the moment I get 100% crit chance by changing Storm spell to a passive feature and then saying because it's a passive feature, it needs to deal a lot less damage...

Then again here's an idea: Change Storm Spell to "whenever you critically hit, you deal that X damage to one enemy with Y feet. If there are no other enemies, you instead deal this damage to the target."

Thematic, makes CWs the AOE king, but makes the feature usable in 1 on 1 combat still. Also, change the name to Lightning Arc because that's the 4E feat that basically does what I described.
    Yeah, I know you have to always be careful what you ask for with them, but the idea is the damage stays right where it is, we can just slot an additional passive instead of the whole core feature of SS having to live in our hotbar.
    pterias said:

pterias said:

Yeah, I know you have to always be careful what you ask for with them, but the idea is the damage stays right where it is, we can just slot an additional passive instead of the whole core feature of SS having to live in our hotbar.
    My understanding is that, in the meta, SS is the DPS build and MoF is the support build. It makes no sense to make a change that makes SS more DPSy, unless it's just a way of compensating for the DPS loss from these changes.
  • smlapinski#5276 smlapinski Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Dear Developers,

Thank you for working on the Control Wizard class. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into it, and the new changes coming up for us should be very entertaining to learn and adjust to.

I do feel discriminated against in the end game areas as somebody who mains a Control Wizard. I wish there was something that could change that, but I've made a lot of friends, and we all work together to bring out our characters greatest strengths and find our most useful roles, so I can't say that the class is useless or without hope.

I believe your team is taking a step in a positive direction for the sake of Control Wizard players, and despite any criticism you might receive, there are so many more of us who are thankful for the hard work and dedication this class has recieved over the years.

As far as numbers and damage values go, I don't have much to contribute, but I do have humble advice for other Control Wizards.

If you're reading this as a Control Wizard that's having a hard time, don't be afraid to experiment. Do the silly adjustments and try messing with powers that the main-stream gamers never use. Gather your team and your friends and figure out what sort of crazy ways you can get your character to work in. BIS doesn't always mean the most fun to play. (Even if it is awfully nice to put big numbers on the leaderboard.)

If I had any personal suggestions for development, it would be to remove or rework Imprisonment.

I could imagine it being replaced with a versatile type of buffing/debuffing ability, which would add further stability to CW's as a support class. Color Spray perhaps?

Or a defensive ability, that allowed a defensive bonus shortly after teleporting, which would encourage the use of stamina based game mechanics that are rarely seen as anything more than traps for our class.

Lastly, if I had one question to ask, it would be this: "Could you give us a hint on what directions you plan on taking the Control Wizard class in the future, and are there any plans on tailoring content to include not just us, but more classes as controllers?"

Thank you for your time, and sorry for the mountain of text.

Much love, Mr. L.
  • slysnow#2290 slysnow Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    > @theycallmetomu said:
    > Imprisonment should be removed and replaced with a second elemental specific option.
    >
    > MoF should get Incendiary Cloud. Stormspell Mages should get Chain Lightning.

Or a necromancer skill. Something a wizard would/could do. Or if they want to keep it in game turn it into a aoe that immobilizes for x amount of seconds and poisons, debuffs, or siphons life
    Post edited by slysnow#2290 on

> @theycallmetomu said:

> Imprisonment should be removed and replaced with a second elemental specific option.

>

> MoF should get Incendiary Cloud. Stormspell Mages should get Chain Lightning.

Or a necromancer skill. Something a wizard would/could do. Or if they muddy keep it in game turn it into a aoe that immobilized for x amount of seconds and poisons, debuffs, or siphons life

Or alternatively, "Exile" the target, removing them from play, and make it permanent if the target was a minion. So automatic minion 1 shot power.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    > @theycallmetomu said:
    > > @theycallmetomu said:
    >
    > > Imprisonment should be removed and replaced with a second elemental specific option.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > MoF should get Incendiary Cloud. Stormspell Mages should get Chain Lightning.
    >
    >
    >
    > Or a necromancer skill. Something a wizard would/could do. Or if they muddy keep it in game turn it into a aoe that immobilized for x amount of seconds and poisons, debuffs, or siphons life
    >
    > Or alternatively, "Exile" the target, removing them from play, and make it permanent if the target was a minion. So automatic minion 1 shot power.

We already have an automatic minion one-shot power; it’s called Disintegrate.

Pure control powers will never make it into a rotation. If no real DPS is attached, the power never makes it to the tray.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• lollyx#5755 lollyx Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I know this is a minor chance but can we get also casting priority in Ice knife and reduce it's casting time? With a Spell twisting build rotation get so fast that the long channel and the possibility of having to do It again are very crappy (at the moment Can be interrupted by even artifact activation).

Magic missile:at the current stages of the game the third cast only grants a stack of arcane maestry (wich It doesn't benefits from), this doesn't get, in my opinion, at the same level of chilling cloud, slightly faster and with aoe. Because we are getting an arcane revamp and magic missle is the main and faster way to stack arcane maestry can we get either a buff on It (stack at 2nd instead of third), a faster casting (or granting stack on cast rather then on hit) or some sort of aoe on it?
    The aoe Will come handy when leveling also because all cw's damage early is single targetted with at will and this is a realy "scaly" class

Will we get free retraining token for all our loadout due to those changes basicly turning the Whole class meccanic around (like when you did the mini rework of DC a bunch off modules ago)?
    Post edited by lollyx#5755 on
    vorphied said:

> @theycallmetomu said:

> > @theycallmetomu said:

>

> > Imprisonment should be removed and replaced with a second elemental specific option.

>

> >

>

> > MoF should get Incendiary Cloud. Stormspell Mages should get Chain Lightning.

>

>

>

> Or a necromancer skill. Something a wizard would/could do. Or if they muddy keep it in game turn it into a aoe that immobilized for x amount of seconds and poisons, debuffs, or siphons life

>

> Or alternatively, "Exile" the target, removing them from play, and make it permanent if the target was a minion. So automatic minion 1 shot power.

We already have an automatic minion one-shot power; it’s called Disintegrate.

Pure control powers will never make it into a rotation. If no real DPS is attached, the power never makes it to the tray.

Disintegrate doesn't one shot minions all the time though! But you have a point: even an autokiller on minions (even Epic Dungeon minions) probably wouldn't make it into most rotations.
  • tholan#1688 tholan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 204 Arc User
    ....Assailant.....why...still...not...crit....why???? Btw, good job, the changes are quite interesting and will give more option to us. But really, why assailant still not crit is a mistery.
  • ruslan1404#8974 ruslan1404 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2018

....Assailant.....why...still...not...crit....why???? Btw, good job, the changes are quite interesting and will give more option to us. But really, why assailant still not crit is a mistery.

Assailant still doesn't present from Debuff (100-200% no damage increase... for running alone is good and no more). SoD TR non-crit but present from debuff... Why? just change damage from unresistable to undeflected and ignore armor as TR.
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User

Imprisonment should be removed and replaced with a second elemental specific option.

MoF should get Incendiary Cloud. Stormspell Mages should get Chain Lightning.

Yesss!
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • wizzy#0870 wizzy Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Please buff/rework Assailant before M15. Right now its not even worth having. Remove some of the 'Randomness' factor from CW feats. Its not a lot of fun when a large number of your powers have a chance to happen.

Some changes I would like to see to the capstones to increase their effectiveness in the game.

Assailant:
    100% chance to proc on encounters with a hit that scales with debuffs/buffs and can crit. Remove HP Cap.

Shatter Strike:
    Revert back to the m14 Shatter Strike. Every power triggers Shatter Strike not just control powers.

Chaos Magic:
    Using a power grants a stack of Chaos Magic to nearby allies. A stack of Chaos Magic grants 2% Damage, 1% LS, 2% Arm Pen, 2% Crit and 3% Recharge Speed. Stacks max 10 times. On receiving or refreshing a stack, the receiver is healed for 4% of their Max HP.
    Post edited by wizzy#0870 on
  • lollyx#5755 lollyx Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    > @wizzy#0870 said:
    >
    > Chaos Magic:
    > Using a power grants a stack of Chaos Magic to nearby allies. A stack of Chaos Magic grants 2% Damage, 1% LS, 2% Arm Pen, 2% Crit and 3% Recharge Speed. Stacks max 10 times. On receiving or refreshing a stack, the receiver is healed for 4% of their Max HP.

Hum i think Chaos magic this way will become bis for high level (non endgame) dungeon.
    I think the Whole Renegade path deserves some love anyway, too much random. At the current stage of cw, regade is "crit focussed" and i get the "is random chance so the buffs has random chance to..." Gimmiky but on an endgame level crit is 100%. Having some critbased buffs i think is better like a mini lostauth set bonus (20% weapon on a crit), random crit severity buff for you and half for the team on every hit. Chaos magic i think Need an entire different concept nontheless. Armor pen and crit strike are useless endgame cause you already maxed It out, maybe we can get crit severity and outgoing damage buff
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    First of all thanks for taking time to work on the CW,

Hey there Control Wizards,
    We want Arcane Mastery to feel more meaningful, so it has had its duration reduced and its effectiveness increased so that you care about how many stacks you have active. Also, things like disintegrate now benefit greatly from Arcane Mastery. With this, we hope to see some Arcane-based builds or builds that utilize Arcane Presence with other elements.

Finally, we wanted to reduce the power of Chilling Presence so that Control Wizards had options to choose other class features. Instead of hindering Chilling Presence too hard, we decided to reduce its power by half and then bring other class features up to par.

I like that you reworked the class feature to allow different possibility.
    I have spent time on preview to try the possibility of a more focused Arcane Build for AoE.
    If you really want that we have a possibility of a more focused Arcane build here are some things I have noticed.

Entangling Force on Mastery can be a competitor of Conduit of Ice. EF is good to build 5 stacks of Arcane Mastery when you hit 5 mobs.The problem is the AoE Zone for gathering Mobs is too small. Entangling Force on Mastery affect 6 targets Conduit of Ice affect 7 targets.

I propose to increase the number of targets to 7 when EF is on mastery.
    Increase the damage, the damage seems too low.
    Increase the size of the AoE effect to gather mobs together.
    Gathering mob together was one of the things that I liked very much in Mod 0-1-2-3.
    Gathering mob together help to maximize the damage from Sudden Storm.
    If you could bring back a spell that is viable to gathering mobs together I'm sure players from other class will like this.

An other Spell that need change for a possibility of an AoE Arcane build is Shard of Endless Avalanche.

The Animation time is too long and the push is too slow.
    The damage should be bringing back to something more in line to what it was before the change in Mod 4.
    More damage to the push and more damage to the shard explosion.
    You can reduce the time of the stun like it was before mod 4.
    In mod 2-3 every Wizard used this power, maybe something between what it was and what it is now is the best balance.

For the help to stack Arcane mastery more quickly maybe you can change the artifact power of magic missile. Instead of increase the damage, maybe add arcane stack with each hit or a % chance like chilling cloud artifact bonus.

Feed back: Control Mastery: Control effects against non-player enemies are 2.5x as effective
    I have really noticed the change, we can now control better with power other than Icy Terrain + Icy Veins.

Some feats that annoy me since a very long time :
    Chilling Control : This feat is very redundant with Icy Veins, both are in path of Oppressor, I don't see the point to have two feat that add chill stack.
    Is it possible to replace Chilling Control by :
    The Damage of Sudden Storm is increased by 1/2/3/4/5% when you hit a target affected by chill.

Destructive Wizardry: Charging Storm Pillar at 100% to activate this feat is very long and it slow down the speed of a good rotation. Is it possible that Storm Pillar required to be 50% charged to activate this feat, like it was at the beginning of the game.

Renegade:
    Chaotic Nexus: Now increases Armor Penetration by 20% (down from 30%)Chaotic Nexus: Now increases Critical Strike Chance by 20% (down from 30%)
    Instead of Now increase Armor Penetration by 20% Is it possible to replace by: Now increase Critical Severity by 20%.
    Like other players have said it's easy to cap Armor Penetration. for end game party, Critical Severity will be more effective.
    Or maybe share Phantasmal Destruction with allies.

Finally, I want to point that the biggest problem of the CW DPS is the single target DPS is why I think the Thaumaturge cap stone need Improvement.

I think improving Assailing Force could be a good way the help us with our Single Target DPS and give to Thaumaturge path the single target DPS role.
    Assailant Force is Weak for a Cap Stone.
    You should increase the damage, or maybe change it and allow it to critic and benefit from debuff.

Thanks
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User

After taking the time to try out the new CW Changes, I thought I would give feedback on what I have seen. Overall, I like the changes, it feels like they add quite a bit of skill back to the class, but I would like to see some minor adjustments which, in my opinion, would be healthier for the class as a whole.

1) Disintegrate: The change to this skill is really good, however, an issue with the current design of it on preview is often enemies jump from 70% hitpoints to 0 hitpoints in the current meta. I would propose that instead of having a heavy boost to it under 25% hp, it instead scales similarly to killing flames, where it gains its maximum bonus at 25% and moves towards it as the enemies hp decreases.

2) Arcane Presence: This class feature still suffers from the downfall where, in order to build Arcane Stacks, you first need to use Arcane Powers. Suggestion: While this is slotted, your non arcane encounters have a 50% chance to generate Arcane Stacks on use. In addition, your Arcane Powers receive 1/4 to 1/2 the benefit of the buff that is being given to other powers.

3) Arcane Power Field: Increase the duration by 2 seconds.

4) Arcane Power Field offhand: Change it so that it further increases the duration by another 2 seconds.

5) Storm Fury: Taking damage causes this to proc on all enemies within 15'.

6) Eye of the Storm: Rework this to give 100% critical severity while it is active, not 100% critical chance.

7) Power Surge: Increase its duration by 1-2 seconds.

8) Reduce the animation time of Ice Knife.

The major elephant in the room is CW feats. The biggest issue is, the capstone feats for CW are worse then the ordinary feats. It is almost at the point where I am considering running builds without capstones. For example, the 10% instance wide buff that is Controlled Momentum, is much better then Shatter. CW capstones really do need a little bit of a facelift, to give them some flavour.

Otherwise, I really like the changes so far, looking forward to see what other changes can (hopefully) be made.

I agree with all of this
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • utookmynickutookmynick Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited September 2018

The base damage of all control Wizard powers has been increased by ~25%

A quick test on preview and live with Trade of Blades weapon, companion unsummoned, non-dmg affecting feats slotted, gear unequipped, alone at Caer Konig, offensive guild boon set to enchance overload, non-crits only and wait for all buffs to fall off before casting:

1) First cast of Chilling Cloud: +48.9% damage on preview (base and cold power dmg increase combined)

2) Disintegrate: +11% damage on preview (no arcane stacks and dummy at 100% health). This is rank 4 and rank +% dmg was lowered, hence the lower increase compared to other powers.

3) Repel: +18% damage on preview

4) Steal Time: +24% damage on preview

I cast each of these twice (waiting for all buffs to drop) to ensure the damage does not vary.

Looks like base dmg increase should offset CP nerf and changes to Disintegrate and Icy mean we'll do more dmg than before in boss fights. Need ACT numbers though to understand overall effect of all changes.

On a side note, Sudden Storm seems to hit small targets like dummies reliably now, instead of passing right through.

EDIT: previous numbers were wrong because I had guild power boon slotted. Base dmg does appear to be consistently higher on preview.
    Post edited by utookmynick on
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

After taking the time to try out the new CW Changes, I thought I would give feedback on what I have seen. Overall, I like the changes, it feels like they add quite a bit of skill back to the class, but I would like to see some minor adjustments which, in my opinion, would be healthier for the class as a whole.

1) Disintegrate: The change to this skill is really good, however, an issue with the current design of it on preview is often enemies jump from 70% hitpoints to 0 hitpoints in the current meta. I would propose that instead of having a heavy boost to it under 25% hp, it instead scales similarly to killing flames, where it gains its maximum bonus at 25% and moves towards it as the enemies hp decreases.

2) Arcane Presence: This class feature still suffers from the downfall where, in order to build Arcane Stacks, you first need to use Arcane Powers. Suggestion: While this is slotted, your non arcane encounters have a 50% chance to generate Arcane Stacks on use. In addition, your Arcane Powers receive 1/4 to 1/2 the benefit of the buff that is being given to other powers.

3) Arcane Power Field: Increase the duration by 2 seconds.

4) Arcane Power Field offhand: Change it so that it further increases the duration by another 2 seconds.

5) Storm Fury: Taking damage causes this to proc on all enemies within 15'.

6) Eye of the Storm: Rework this to give 100% critical severity while it is active, not 100% critical chance.

7) Power Surge: Increase its duration by 1-2 seconds.

8) Reduce the animation time of Ice Knife.

Otherwise, I really like the changes so far, looking forward to see what other changes can (hopefully) be made.

@thefabricant, thanks for testing out the changes.

Is the CW damage actually lower on preview than on live and if so what % are we talking about here? Is the CW build on preview doing 5% less damage or is it so bad that it is doing 20% less damage. Just curious if you tested this or not.

For those of you taking the time to test these changes - THANK YOU!

• theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    So, I deleted my first version of this before sending. Let's just say that other players are feeling my issues as well. In short, "please don't murder us" and a red cloud in a shape of a hamster.

Other notable points:

-Can we get back Far spell as a heroic feat instead of Battlewise (with 5 ft/point instead of 2 ft)?

-Uncertain allegiance: It's a rotten pile of garbage. The 2 other crit-giving skills got fixed, but this it's still got to exist in pre-mod6 state. Now everyone can reach 100% crit, so seems to have no actual power held in it, not even for buffers after a point. Consider complete redo, because lesser buff effects are sprayed over Oppressor.

-Energy recovery: Complete redo.

@balanced#2849 I've seen a some change regarding controll, but I'd like to hear what are the plans for the controlling aspect of CW. Just to know how we should inspect that direction regarding the recent changes.