test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The real issue with CR (or why it is a failure and what to do about it)

adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
edited September 2018 in Player Feedback (PC)
I am sure the developers have data on the number of people completing the various dungeons.
I am also sure that if they look at the data, they will see that the number of people running CR is a small fraction of the number of people running ToNG and CoDG.
Why? Why are people not enjoying the "top" dungeon in the game?
The reason is simple

It is all about the reward/effort ratio

During a 2xEnchants event many players are just farming CoDG for UES, as that simply gives the maximum profit for the time spent, but even during "normal" times, CR is just not considered worth running.
Consider the rewards from CR.
Remember when the dev blog said Rewards to die for? Well, the reality is different.
  • Sunset weapons. Sure, they are good in Barovia (in particular during the night), but everywhere else, the Exalted Primal (for DPSers) or Masterwork weapons (for support) outperform them. The problem is quite frankly that by the time you have the weapons refined, you are probably finished with Barovia anyhow, so you don't need them - ergo - no need to get the weapons.
  • The Thirst set. Quite frankly it is pretty...meh...for most classes, builds - certainly not a "must have" set, so no real reason for most players to go after that.
  • Prominence enchant. Potentially interesting, but the drop rate is so low it is hardly feasible to farm...I have only gotten a single shard from my CR runs myself.
  • Seals of the Crown. Now, the Barovian armor that you buy with the seals is BiS for some classes/builds, so, yes...it is worth going after. The problem is that it takes a long, long time to farm enough seals, as you only get 70 seals per run. Considering that a typical CR run may take twice as long as a typical ToNG run, the reward/effort ratio is on the low side.
So, what can be done to make CR worth running?
I have two suggestions:
  • Increase the drop chance for UES in CR - not a massive increase, but just enough to make people consider it worth their time to run the dungeon
  • Increase the number of seals per run. Quite frankly, it is to low, considering the average time a run takes.
Hoping for improvements...

Comments

• Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    For being the longest and hardest dungeon in game that tends to consume a few scrolls each run, CR loot is underwhelming and not really worth the effort.
    And on the other hand, Cradle loot is rather too nice for the effort.
    So just switch the loot tables ;)
  • Options
    feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    Why is it a failure? Because the boss encounter design is awful. Control/immunity insteadeath is a bad way to design boss encounters but it's all we've seen since mod 11. A new dev philosophy is needed but so is a redesign of all that content. It just isn't playable not only for people who are not near-BiS players but for many BiS players who don't happen to fit the current meta. This content wasn't designed with actual players in mind at all so people have to either fit the meta or accept that they'll never finish it. We need class balancing.

Also, yeah, the rewards are garbage and the cut scenes are pointless and irritating.
  • Options
    keru#9279 keru Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Well...I AGREE with this. Been unable to have a decent CR run. Either everybody keeps dying because not all of us knows the mechanics or the ones that do "knows" and joins group ends up abandoning because they get tired of other gamer's failure and not even by telling what to do helps ...And thennnn you have people asking for Experienced Folks Only to run CR and won't give a chance to a 1st timer to run with them.
    I have been kicked from group once already. On the second group I joined everybody had to quit.... I know it takes some time and practices but for us new players seems like its going to be impossible to achieve at the moment. I have decided not to try it again..... I was really excited when this Mod14 came out but right now I'm dissapointed. I want to congratulate those who have the chance and can count on nice people to run with and made it ๐Ÿ‘
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    Sometimes I wish they would introduce NPC's like Makos or Celeste who give different offensive or defensive hints for the various dungeons. TIPS depending on your class to try for different bosses provided you complete some task or subquest for them depending on what Dungeon or Mini-Boss or Boss you're looking for advice on.

I mean it's easy enough to learn it from other players but often like people denote above people don't want to take the time to explain it to party members or don't explain things correctly. I mean I would expect Makos or Celeste to give you all secrets or tips at once. But upon asking for a TIP they could then have you try the dungeon and fail or succeed then possible offer you another TIP for the dungeon?

@nitocris83
  • Options
    feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    strathkin said:

Sometimes I wish they would introduce NPC's like Makos or Celeste who give different offensive or defensive hints for the various dungeons. TIPS depending on your class to try for different bosses provided you complete some task or subquest for them depending on what Dungeon or Mini-Boss or Boss you're looking for advice on.

I mean it's easy enough to learn it from other players but often like people denote above people don't want to take the time to explain it to party members or don't explain things correctly. I mean I would expect Makos or Celeste to give you all secrets or tips at once. But upon asking for a TIP they could then have you try the dungeon and fail or succeed then possible offer you another TIP for the dungeon?

@nitocris83

J
    CR
    Battle Tactics
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

Well...I AGREE with this. Been unable to have a decent CR run. Either everybody keeps dying because not all of us knows the mechanics or the ones that do "knows" and joins group ends up abandoning because they get tired of other gamer's failure and not even by telling what to do helps ...And thennnn you have people asking for Experienced Folks Only to run CR and won't give a chance to a 1st timer to run with them.

I have been kicked from group once already. On the second group I joined everybody had to quit.... I know it takes some time and practices but for us new players seems like its going to be impossible to achieve at the moment. I have decided not to try it again..... I was really excited when this Mod14 came out but right now I'm dissapointed. I want to congratulate those who have the chance and can count on nice people to run with and made it ๐Ÿ‘

I am in this boat as well. Casual gamer who doesnt want people yelling at me for not knowing everything about a dungeon - when I feel lucky though I will You Tube the dungeons before I try and enter - mainly To9G and Cradle and CR.

Not even tried any of them - way too scared by their mechanics
  • Options
    sengir0#3465 sengir0 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    CR loots is very underwhelming. A good run would typically last around 23-30mins and the only good loots that I see from CR is UES and Seals. Once you've got your armors from the Seals, I find it boring now to run CR as there's no motivation. Yes there's the UES that drops from it but that one can be farmed at CODG for a 10-15mins run.