test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Forum Reactions Update

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
edited May 2018 in News & Announcements
EDITS:

Included screenshot of reaction definitions.
Note: Reactions are meant to enhance the sense of community, not to generate nonconstructive conflict. Any "spamming" behavior of a reaction, regardless of the definition, to single out a group or individual will be reviewed for inappropriate conduct or harassment.

Greetings adventurers,

The "Disagree" reaction has been removed from the forums. The "Awesome" and "Insightful" reactions have been enabled.

Awesome Reaction
Awesome posts amaze you. You want to repeat them to your friends and remember them later.

Insightful Reaction
Insightful comments bring new information or perspective to the discussion and increase the value of the conversation as a whole.
Post edited by nitocris83 on

Comments

• Options
    dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    Damn, can't disagree with the disagree option being removed. Feels like a trap.

The new reactions are good though.
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    This is one huge end-game balance patch/change.

PS
    Can someone please activate the related achievements, it's like +5 rings, but achievable
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/badges
  • Options
    meiramimeirami Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 423 Arc User
    A good change.
  • Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    Really? Not allowed to disagree with ppl?

and I always used the lol reaction as a positive when I thought someone said something funny. Now that been turned into the "disagree"

Not sure that I agree with this decision
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    You can disagree with people. You just have to take the time to type it out now.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    greywynd said:

You can disagree with people. You just have to take the time to type it out now.

The problem with that is, it is really hard to walk the line between posting and the Lower Depths. I have many times thought I was coloring within the lines, only to find the posts gone. This was a way for me to register my disagreement with the post (not necessarily the poster) without having to whip out my 'Posting Guidelines for Dummies' cheat sheet each post.
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    litaaers said:

greywynd said:

The problem with that is, it is really hard to walk the line between posting and the Lower Depths. I have many times thought I was coloring within the lines, only to find the posts gone. This was a way for me to register my disagreement with the post (not necessarily the poster) without having to whip out my 'Posting Guidelines for Dummies' cheat sheet each post.
    If you are quoting or even replying to something that will end up in the Lower Depths, chances are great that your comment will be moved there too, as it would not make sense to leave it. There are a few cases where the comment can be edited enough to keep it, but 90% of the time, we have no choice but to remove it too.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    fightdawalrus#5058 fightdawalrus Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    As if the moderators don't already try to hide criticism enough, now we have to just agree with everyone.
  • Options
    helric9helric9 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    This is how the liberty dies... And no applause this time...
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    greywynd said:

It's utterly ridiculous that a person with limited time is now deprived of the ability to disagree with someone. Not everyone wants to sit there and type out some inane response just to show they disagree.

Maybe the answer is now for someone to simply type out "Disagree"....

I have taken to use LOL now as a signifier that someone has written something completely ridiculous as opposed to something I had previously found funny.

This is nothing more than a way to limit negative feedback by forcing people to either write out a negative response or move along if they don't have time.

The censorship of a form of disapproval – the quickest method – is akin to handing out participation trophies so people don't take offense. So a few people got trolled by disagree. So what? Let's all gather round a campfire, sing kumbaya, and roast marshmallows while we agree on everything.

Why don't we also remove LOL? I mean, maybe I want someone to explain to me why they found my post funny?

You added "Insightful" and "Awesome" but maybe remove those because I don't see any reason someone should be able to leave quick feedback.

While I'm on it, "Insightful" seems to be something on the same level of "Disagree". What good is it if I don't know why you found the post insightful?
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    A few people were being targeted by people spamming disagrees on their comments. Some of those people were extremely upset by it. When someone is being spammed with over 1k disagrees in a 24 hour period, there could be an issue.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    I don't need insightful to be clarified as to why. I just take it to mean well thought out or well written. or oh gee I didn't think of that, good point.

in context of what you've written it's fairly easy to tell which of those it might have been. however with disagree you can write a tl;dr and have someone disagree and you're like which point and why? because you want to be able to explain your reasoning and maybe change the other persons mind.

insightful is not a debate point that you're going to gain a win off of.
  • Options

I don't need insightful to be clarified as to why. I just take it to mean well thought out or well written. or oh gee I didn't think of that, good point.

in context of what you've written it's fairly easy to tell which of those it might have been. however with disagree you can write a tl;dr and have someone disagree and you're like which point and why? because you want to be able to explain your reasoning and maybe change the other persons mind.

The problem with the "Disagree" button was that people were using it on comments that couldn't possibly be disagreed with. Statements of fact and whatnot. If you want to see how it was being abused, take a look at my current LOLs.
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

The problem with the "Disagree" button was that people were using it on comments that couldn't possibly be disagreed with. Statements of fact and whatnot. If you want to see how it was being abused, take a look at my current LOLs.
    Called it! So when are we removing LOL? It's time these forums lost their sense of humor :)
  • Options
    dupeks said:

kreatyve said:

Called it! So when are we removing LOL? It's time these forums lost their sense of humor :)
    They aren't, lol. We are working other methods.
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    Honestly I've always seen LOL as more disrespectful than disagree.

To me, disagree was just "I think you're wrong."

LOL (on a post that was obviously not intended to be funny) was "The thing you said was so utterly ridiculous that I'm actually laughing at how absurd your post was."

• Options
    dairyzeus said:

LOL (on a post that was obviously not intended to be funny) was "The thing you said was so utterly ridiculous that I'm actually laughing at how absurd your post was."

Some people are intentionally funny. There are some really hilarious guild recruiting threads and whatnot. Those posts are where the LOLs should be.
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    kreatyve said:

dairyzeus said:

Some people are intentionally funny. There are some really hilarious guild recruiting threads and whatnot. Those posts are where the LOLs should be.
    Absolutely, and they are there. However, there are also advice threads and theory crafting threads.

Now if I need to quickly express that someone's advice is incorrect or ill informed, the only way I can do so is to laugh at their post. Which, as I said above feels far more insulting than just disagreeing.
  • Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    dairyzeus said:

kreatyve said:

dairyzeus said:

Absolutely, and they are there. However, there are also advice threads and theory crafting threads.

Now if I need to quickly express that someone's advice is incorrect or ill informed, the only way I can do so is to laugh at their post. Which, as I said above feels far more insulting than just disagreeing.
    if you are too lazy to write out why you disagree your laughing can be seen as that of someone who just doesn't understand. so it reflects on you more than them. at least that's how I look at it. the disagree was a similar sort of thing, for those who don't have the ability to elucidate on their opinions. when it was used it just means there probably weren't any real opinions of merit to begin with. if you disagree and don't want to comment just don't. no need to leave ANY derogatory feedback.
    Post edited by thefiresidecat on
  • Options

dairyzeus said:

kreatyve said:

dairyzeus said:

if you are too lazy to write out why you disagree your laughing can be seen as that of someone who just doesn't understand. so it reflects on you more than them. at least that's how I look at it. the disagree was a similar sort of thing. for those who don't have the ability to elucidate on their opinions. which means there probably weren't any real opinions of merit to begin with. if you disagree and don't want to comment just don't. no need to leave ANY derogatory feedback.
    That's quite the assumption to assume it's laziness. Sometimes, people just don't have time to write out long winded explanations. Some people are too stubborn to listen to advice regardless of how well you explain your point. Sometimes, the most you can do is flag something and walk away.

All I know is found all the reactions (positive and negative) on posts helpful when I first started playing this game and browsing through the builds and advice threads.

I just hate to see a meaningful reaction removed because a few people abused it.

• Options
    dairyzeus said:

dairyzeus said:

kreatyve said:

dairyzeus said:

if you are too lazy to write out why you disagree your laughing can be seen as that of someone who just doesn't understand. so it reflects on you more than them. at least that's how I look at it. the disagree was a similar sort of thing. for those who don't have the ability to elucidate on their opinions. which means there probably weren't any real opinions of merit to begin with. if you disagree and don't want to comment just don't. no need to leave ANY derogatory feedback.
    That's quite the assumption to assume it's laziness. Sometimes, people just don't have time to write out long winded explanations. Some people are too stubborn to listen to advice regardless of how well you explain your point. Sometimes, the most you can do is flag something and walk away.

All I know is found all the reactions (positive and negative) on posts helpful when I first started playing this game and browsing through the builds and advice threads.

I just hate to see a meaningful reaction removed because a few people abused it.

It's not against forum rules to be wrong. Not sure if you were just calling clicking on a reaction flagging of if you meant reporting a thread.
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    kreatyve said:

dairyzeus said:

dairyzeus said:

kreatyve said:

dairyzeus said:

It's not against forum rules to be wrong. Not sure if you were just calling clicking on a reaction flagging of if you meant reporting a thread.
    I meant clicking on a reaction.
  • Options
    pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    If you can't type out at least a sentence or a handful of words about what you disagree with or why, yes, it's laziness. If you don't have the time, come back when you do. If you can't find the words, maybe you need to think about it more before responding. If you can't be bothered, it must not be all that important to you anyway. If none of that is good enough, you can still quote a post and type out "Disagree."

Also, when I see LOLs on a non-funny post, I view it as "HA! YOU NAILED IT!!" So, continue to troll people with it, I'll read it as you excitedly agree with them.

---

Edit: LOL! I just noticed that I have the "Insightful" badge and WAS THE FIRST ONE TO GET IT!! MWAHAHA!!!
    Post edited by pterias on
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

A few people were being targeted by people spamming disagrees on their comments. Some of those people were extremely upset by it. When someone is being spammed with over 1k disagrees in a 24 hour period, there could be an issue.

I've never had that many (1k) disagree with me, but if they did, they would be leaving some other GOOOOOD person alone.