test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Leaver/Disconnect Penalty Suggestion

mystar#5733 mystar Member Posts: 179 Arc User
I can appreciate the grace period currently given for people who are legitimately disconnected so they can reconnect, but this still leaves too much of a loophole for people to take advantage of the rewards without actually playing the game and leaves those who wait around to play stuck wasting time and taking a penalty for leaving that they don't really deserve.

Here's a suggestion:

If someone from the random que gets disconnected or leaves a dungeon or skirmish and they haven't returned within the 5 minute timeframe, flag their character so they have to complete the dungeon or skirmish they were disconnected from before they can earn any AD from the random que.

The current system is penalizing the people who are actually willing to play the game more than the people taking advantage of the loophole. They can disconnect and it really doesn't matter to them whether they get credit or not because they can just go do another a character and come back to that one later.

The reason for any kind of penalty for leaving is to keep players from leaving and this current system just isn't working that way.

Comments

• Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,096 Arc User
    I'd like to see characters locked into a specific dungeon or skirmish until they actively complete it.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Disagree totally.
    The leaver penalty has shown that it gives incentive to behaviours that penalize those who wish to stay inside dungeon and finish it.

Quitters will just spam the abandon vote until they are either kicked (and get no penalty) or succeed the vote and force everyone else to leave as well.

If anything, quitters penalty should be removed entirely, let them go, what's the point in penalizing them in the first place?
    I have yet to see it prevent a quitter from leaving, if he truly wants.
    They'll just force their way around it anyway, JUST - LET -THEM- GO.
  • Options
    klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Disagree Totally.

Leavers penalty has shown to give incentive to behaviours that penalize those who wish to stay inside the dungeon and finish it, rather than punish the quitters. The reason is simple: punishing quitters is not truly possible without punishing everyone else as well.

Quitters will force their way around the leavers penalty, by spamming the Abandon Vote feature. They will either succeed (and force everyone else to leave too, including those who want to stay and finish the dungeon) or they will be eventually kicked out (and receive no penalty).

There is no reason for this quitters penalty to exist. It does not exist in private queue, it should not exist in public queues, as it's making them even worse than they already are.

Here's what you do about quitters:
    JUST - LET - THEM - GO.
    The quitters penalty should be entirely removed. And the vote abandon instance feature should be removed as well.
    If the public queue works properly, they're gonna be replaced anyway.
  • Options
    jizzu#6891 jizzu Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    It is really not that complicated....5 mins is more than enough to reconnect after a server kick or isp meltdown; once this has passed allow the kick vote. I have never seen someone who didn't want to run a dungeon spam a kick vote to get themselves kicked...it is the poor sods left in waiting for kick vote to go live that spam it out of frustration.
  • Options
    sgaddis13#3703 sgaddis13 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    The leaver's penalty came from a good place, and I totally get what the devs were trying to do. They wanted to keep people from rapidly, repetitively leaving dungeons in the random queue until they got the one dungeon they wanted, which defeats the point of the "challenge" of the random queue. Problem is that they did not anticipate people sitting there and waiting to be kicked because the wait time to enable vote kicks is shorter than the half hour leaver's penalty.

This is a player behavior problem, not an implementation problem. I am sure they will eventually find a new way to handle the whole thing.
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

Problem is that they did not anticipate people sitting there and waiting to be kicked because the wait time to enable vote kicks is shorter than the half hour leaver's penalty.

What the dev's underestimated was how much the player base hates certain dungeons/skirms and will refuse to run it. None of this was implemented properly. Player behavior problem? I'm sorry but the problem was jamming a system down the players throats that they did not want, do not want and will not want to take part in. You reap what you sow.
  • Options

You don't get good social behavior by mashing people together randomly,

Good social behavior should be. Period. In f2f life and on the internet. Yes, people can have off days, but at the heart of it there should be this thing called "respect". Your parents might have tried to instill some in you at one point in your development.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    greywynd said:

You don't get good social behavior by mashing people together randomly,

Good social behavior should be. Period. In f2f life and on the internet. Yes, people can have off days, but at the heart of it there should be this thing called "respect". Your parents might have tried to instill some in you at one point in your development.
    Oh I whole-heartedly agree, but from an individual's perspective

I'd not be the fool that designed a game feature around that expectation, however

• Options
    mystar#5733 mystar Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    I think it's kinda funny how people refer to randoms as being forced to play content they don't want to play. We're not being forced to play anything at all really...it's our choice to play what comes up or abandon it and continue doing that until something comes up that we would rather play.

I'm guessing part of the reason for the random que was to give more of a chance for all the dungeons and skirmishes to be played for the astral diamonds since everyone was just running cloaked tower or the easier ones. They might as well just put the easy ones that players are willing to do so everyone can get their astral diamonds without much effort. Personally, I think that would cheapen the game.

I don't like doing Prophecy of Madness and have started really disliking Illusionists Gambit even more, but I'm willing to play them to earn my astral diamonds.

It's like this...there's a lot of people who don't like their jobs but they still go to work to earn their paycheck so they can pay their bills and get things they want...this game isn't much different than that for our characters, whether they are alts or mains.

I think maybe the idea of it being a penalty should be removed and replaced with more of a sense of accomplishment of an assigned dungeon/skirmish before we can continue to earn astral diamonds from random que. I mean like most of the quests in this game have to be accomplished before earning the rewards and moving up the quest line...don't see why these dungeons and skirmishes should be any different for the astral diamonds.

Most people just want the astral diamonds handed to them so they can move on and do what they wanna do....even those of us who are willing to play the ones we don't like. Why not just expect them to give us the astral diamonds without having to do anything at all? lol
  • Options
    maxzius#3795 maxzius Member Posts: 165 Arc User

Disagree Totally.

There is no reason for this quitters penalty to exist. It does not exist in private queue, it should not exist in public queues, as it's making them even worse than they already are.

JUST - LET - THEM - GO.
    The quitters penalty should be entirely removed. And the vote abandon instance feature should be removed as well.

This. There is absolutely no reason to have a leaver's penalty.
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    If there was no leavers penalty, everyone would just fish for MotH/DL for skirmish, and KR/eSoT/eToS for epic dungeon.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    If they had implemented the RQ in a reasonable fashion, as an option to get more RAD than manual queue, people that only wanted to run certain content could have continued to do so. People that were willing to help the queues pop faster would have gotten better rewards. Everyone wins, no one feels forced to run things they don't want. But Cryptic had made up their minds how how it was going to go long before they presented it to the players and no amount of reasons were going to change their minds.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options

Disagree Totally.

Leavers penalty has shown to give incentive to behaviours that penalize those who wish to stay inside the dungeon and finish it, rather than punish the quitters. The reason is simple: punishing quitters is not truly possible without punishing everyone else as well.

Quitters will force their way around the leavers penalty, by spamming the Abandon Vote feature. They will either succeed (and force everyone else to leave too, including those who want to stay and finish the dungeon) or they will be eventually kicked out (and receive no penalty).

JUST - LET - THEM - GO.

They can put a lock on the Abandon Queue option so that if you initiate one and it gets voted down, you cannot try again.
  • Options
    I am going to resurrect this bad boy because... lemme tell you a story.

I play an 11.9k gwf. Mid level, but good enough for ETOS runs. I decided to do some salvage runs this weekend and had the misfortune of landing with a group of 4 higher level door-to-door runners who I am assuming were coordinated and were doing their best to engage nothing at all unless they had no choice. That is fine, I have no complaints about that even if it isn't how I prefer to do ETOS. Everyone has their own style. I sprinted right along with them.

Halfway through I went down on a one shot. I then watched all of them run past me. Now, we all know all MMOs have many less than nice players. That is fine. I respawned at the campfire, realized I could in no way make it through the dungeon solo with all the remaining mobs.... and I could not voluntarily leave without a penalty. My choices were stand there and wait for them to vote kick me or quit and not have anything to do for half an hour. I waited a few minutes, disconnected and invoked on my salvage toons, came back... still in ETOS. At that point, I abandoned, accepted the fact that I was being penalized for leaving an impossible situation, and watched some Netflix for the rest of the afternoon.

I suppose looking back I could have *asked* them to vote kick me, but I wasn't really comfortable asking much of anything from people who intentionally left me behind. Chances are they didn't want to waste their vote kick on me and were waiting for me to abandon or they would have kicked me when I disconnected, as I'd hoped.

So anyway.... I got the penalty, and it was what I would call unfair. There really needs to be a better out clause. If that happens again, I may have a less sunny attitude about it all.
  • Options
    zogarazogara Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    Until the servers are fully stabilized, disconnect penalties need to be very lax.
  • Options

had the misfortune of landing with a group of 4 higher level door-to-door runners who I am assuming were coordinated and were doing their best to engage nothing at all unless they had no choice.

I would consider that being very lucky. I would love for that to happen on all my eToS runs. What coordination do you need to run to the next gate? They are not very far apart in eToS. How hard is it to follow a gang-of-four who will be grabbing all the aggro?

Halfway through I went down on a one shot. I then watched all of them run past me.

So you ran ahead of them and grabbed some aggro?

At that point, I abandoned, accepted the fact that I was being penalized for leaving an impossible situation, and watched some Netflix for the rest of the afternoon.

If you were going to watch netflix anyway, why not just stay in there until they kick you?

So anyway.... I got the penalty, and it was what I would call unfair. There really needs to be a better out clause. If that happens again, I may have a less sunny attitude about it all.

Game is always unfair when unwise decisions were made.
  • Options
    zogara said:

Until the servers are fully stabilized, disconnect penalties need to be very lax.

Servers are very stable. On the rare occasion when they are not, there are bigger and longer lasting problems. There are way more disconnect abuses than legit disconnects. The penalties need to be tightened so players don't feel abused when others abuse the disconnect.
  • Options
    zogarazogara Member Posts: 37 Arc User

zogara said:

Servers are very stable. On the rare occasion when they are not, there are bigger and longer lasting problems. There are way more disconnect abuses than legit disconnects. The penalties need to be tightened so players don't feel abused when others abuse the disconnect.
    Erm, no, they aren't. Players on all platforms are reporting disconnects and login issues.
  • Options
    Well, some recent change has been causing disconnects. I got disconnected twice in recent days. But before that, I can't remember the last time I got disconnected. Even with the recent problems, I bet people are still more affected by disconnect abusers. Whatever problem was introduced, they will fix it. The disconnect abusers can only be fixed by penalties that can't be dodged.
  • Options

had the misfortune of landing with a group of 4 higher level door-to-door runners who I am assuming were coordinated and were doing their best to engage nothing at all unless they had no choice.

I would consider that being very lucky. I would love for that to happen on all my eToS runs. What coordination do you need to run to the next gate? They are not very far apart in eToS. How hard is it to follow a gang-of-four who will be grabbing all the aggro?

Halfway through I went down on a one shot. I then watched all of them run past me.

So you ran ahead of them and grabbed some aggro?

At that point, I abandoned, accepted the fact that I was being penalized for leaving an impossible situation, and watched some Netflix for the rest of the afternoon.

If you were going to watch netflix anyway, why not just stay in there until they kick you?

Game is always unfair when unwise decisions were made.
    You're sweet,

No, I was with them. When I say they ran past me, it means they carried on, and we had a massive amount of aggro altogether. I wasn't planning on watching Netflix all afternoon, so it wasn't something I did arbitrarily, but why be rude and leave them stuck waiting on me to force a vote kick when I could leave and then continue on about my business? Two rudes don't make a right, to paraphrase.

I also said that everyone has their own play style, so if they prefer to run through and see how little they can kill, it was no big deal.

The coordination was because they all knew to run through as fast as possible without killing anything. It was obvious in game, but that is besides the point. I appreciate your opinion, and I hope you have a wonderful day.
  • Options
    zogara said:

zogara said:

Erm, no, they aren't. Players on all platforms are reporting disconnects and login issues.
    I think most of us know that, so I believe most of us will agree with you.

The devs know disconnections are an issue or there wouldn't be a grace window. Plus there are other factors that can contribute, but that is besides the point.

The main thing is that they see this feedback, understand the dynamics, and make a change. There is no perfect solution, and you can't make everyone happy. Some people will be angry and argumentative for the fun of it, no matter what, but I do believe the devs want to fix this situation. Can't see why they wouldn't.
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    Players should get penalty and for private queue when they abandon a random queue.
  • Options
    heraldfayez#8520 heraldfayez Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    @nitocris83 there is enough complaints here for you to forward this to the team no ? the randome queu as it is right now is a failed system and will never be as good as private here how about making a suggestion thread to get player's feedback so you can help the team adjust the system for the better? or is this just gonna be the usual ignore as if no one is complaining ?
  • Options
    akichidakichid Member Posts: 35 Arc User

the randome queu as it is right now is a failed system and will never be as good as private

Simply put, I disagree. But we are all entitled to our opinions, no?