test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How long till I get anything valuable from lockbox?

Comments

• sgaddis13#3703 sgaddis13 Member Posts: 107 Arc User

kalina311 said:

kalina311 said:

and......with all those trade bars from 1000s of lockboxes you could have purchased a few purple mounts by now in the shop as your consolation prize ..the devs sure are nice offering an alternative way ..

You're trying to sugarcoat the fact that the devs are treating some players like HAMSTER.
    ya cause the RNg knows how long you have been playing and what class you are and whether you "deserve it" or not and "treats you " accordingly and exactly how are these devs "selectively" treating players and knowingly so just lol dude ....

players have asked in feedback many times for sure ways to save tokens over time for some measurable ways of progressing the loot they wants and goals ... just like protector seals etc

its exactly the opposite the tokens are there by the devs so players are given equal consolation prizes by saving up/ grinding and are not singled out for only being "lucky" in rng

so once someone wins something "good" (according to them) " they should no longer be allowed to win more and thier loot luck flagged ...as this RNG must go to make another new player lucky and rich to fund their character in order not to treat players like Hampster ...LOLZ ..
    That's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying that it's HAMSTER that there's a player who gets literally 2 dozen legendary packs in like 3-4 months, and other players play from the start of the game and didn't get jack HAMSTER.
    "Jack hamster" may be my new favorite cuss.

Sorry to interrupt. Everyone carry on....
  • dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User

...... and didn't get jack HAMSTER.

"Jack hamster" may be my new favorite cuss.

Sorry to interrupt. Everyone carry on....
    I thought the same thing when I read that. :D

• blackwolftundrablackwolftundra Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    i guess they only like him for hes money why he cant win LoL
  • mysteriasdrassamysteriasdrassa Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    > @dafrca#4810 said:
    > Here for about 2-3 years now. 750+ keys. I bought a ton of keys this black friday alone. Over 2200 hours on my main.
    > Not a single epic, let alone legendary drop.
    >
    > Just to be clear, you have not received even a single purple item of any kind or just not a purple mount?
    >
    > I ask for clarification because I received a Purple Refinement Stone in a box this week, but it was not a memorable as if I had gotten a Purple mount. I suspect you mean you have never received a purple mount, but I will leave it to you to clarify. :smile:

Huh... I also get the Dusk Boots Pack dropping fairly regularly... by that I mean at least once a week... so many that I outfitted all of my alts with them and my fiance' alts and been selling them fairly regularly since, pulling at least 50k+ in the AH.... AND, I don't even buy extra keys, just using the 1 daily freebie I get from VIP
  • wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Hi.

Just wanted to share that it's already 20 days that I'm getting from VIP key Lost Artifact Pack and everyday from this pack I get:

- Cube of augmentation
    - 2x Mark of Potency (blue one)
    - 2x Moderate Enchanting Stone (green one)
    - 2x Greater Enchanting Stone (blue one)

Let me repeat. It's 20 days, every single VIP key got me Lost Artifact Pack with these items inside.

Please, tell me. What is the statistic possibility to get the same pack with the same items inside for straight 20 days?

I'm opening Glorious Resurgence Lockbox btw.

Edit: Wrong day count. It's 20 days, not 22.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,383 Arc User
    edited December 2017

Hi.

Just wanted to share that it's already 20 days that I'm getting from VIP key Lost Artifact Pack and everyday from this pack I get:

- Cube of augmentation

Let me repeat. It's 20 days, every single VIP key got me Lost Artifact Pack with these items inside.

Please, tell me. What is the statistic possibility to get the same pack with the same items inside for straight 20 days?

Open one everyday may as well be the problem. Open 30 boxes in one shot instead. Never open one at a time. I personally would not open less than 30.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

Hi.

- Cube of augmentation

Open one everyday may as well be the problem. Open 30 boxes in one shot instead. Never open one at a time. I personally would not open less than 30.
    I did VIP Keys once and opened every day. It made me slighlty happy for a while. Until I realised I was getting Jack HAMSTER but I didnt get a repeat run of packs more than maybe two or three times in a row. To get the same pack 20 times in a row is really quite ridiculous. Surely the RNG loot table shouldnt be able to do this :smile:

Hi.

- Cube of augmentation

I did VIP Keys once and opened every day. It made me slighlty happy for a while. Until I realised I was getting Jack HAMSTER but I didnt get a repeat run of packs more than maybe two or three times in a row. To get the same pack 20 times in a row is really quite ridiculous. Surely the RNG loot table shouldnt be able to do this :smile:
    Computer randomizer is not truly random. It is pseudo random. If you know how pseudo random works (i.e. how it behaves), you would not open one per day.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • lunari#8880 lunari Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    People mentioning to open one at a time isn't recommended and I agree with them. I didn't realize this until a week ago when I went out my way to buy 20 keys for the hell of it. I actually didn't expect to get a Legendary Mount because I always had bad luck. Yet upon fourth or fifth key I saw that pop up on my screen and I couldn't believe it. Yet, this isn;t my first time getting a legendary mount because the first time I got it with a daily key. Very lucky I know, but it makes me wonder about that random generator people been talking about? The legendary pick ups happened only this year alone after paying for VIP for like 3 or so years. I suppose some people are very lucky and get it within a year of paying VIP or buying keys and others...well may take TIME and MONEY.... Either way don't give up hope.. just TIME and/or MONEY...lol
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,492 Arc User

Hi.

- Cube of augmentation

Computer randomizer is not truly random. It is pseudo random. If you know how pseudo random works (i.e. how it behaves), you would not open one per day.
    Well.. I think that observed from the point of view of a player, even the pseudorandom RNG in the game will approach a truly random behaviour for the very simple reason that all the players in an instance probably are sharing the same RNG sequence. You will get a completely unpredictable number of other calls to the RNG between your calls. Even if you are alone in an instance you would have no way of knowing what calls to the RNG the game is doing on its own.

A pseudorandom RNG is predictable only if you have full control of how it is used.

There are so many speculations, theories and rumors about the RNGs in all games. Generally they completely lack any truth to them.
    ^^^^ That is brilliant :smile:
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User

People mentioning to open one at a time isn't recommended and I agree with them. I didn't realize this until a week ago when I went out my way to buy 20 keys for the hell of it. I actually didn't expect to get a Legendary Mount because I always had bad luck. Yet upon fourth or fifth key I saw that pop up on my screen and I couldn't believe it. Yet, this isn;t my first time getting a legendary mount because the first time I got it with a daily key. Very lucky I know, but it makes me wonder about that random generator people been talking about? The legendary pick ups happened only this year alone after paying for VIP for like 3 or so years. I suppose some people are very lucky and get it within a year of paying VIP or buying keys and others...well may take TIME and MONEY.... Either way don't give up hope.. just TIME and/or MONEY...lol

I've bought 20 key sets numerous times, and 50 key sets, without getting anything that noteworthy. On the other hand I got a legendary after 80 keys once, and with a daily once. I'm hoping to continue my streak of one a year, but we'll see. My last one was last Easter....
  • miket196718#6113 miket196718 Member Posts: 20 Arc User

Hi.

I'm playing two years now. I know there are people who play much longer than I do, but I'm really angry after this black friday event.

I bought ZEN, I bought lockbox keys. And the most valuable thing I got is Greater Mark of Potency. I opened circa 100 lockboxes.

I have VIP from 18 months. With daily key, that's 540 lockboxes I opened just from daily key. I also bought circa 100 keys during last year zen sale. That's 740 lockboxes.

I occasionally buy 10-15 keys if I feel like I want. Let's round this to 900, even though I know there was more of it.

I'm a grow up man, who's a sucker for D&D and roleplaying games. That's why I bumped on to Neverwinter. I don't mind spending money for fun. But I just like to ask you guys (moderator, devs, managers) what are the official chances of getting anything good from lockbox?

Please, give me the numbers, cause after 900 keys you guys gave me nothing. I look at this great picture of you tempting me to open lockbox - "Get your legendary mount!" it says. I never ever got anything from this cool picture you upload every time you launch a new lockbox. And let me repeat myself: I opened 900 lockboxes.

And I know that under my post there will be people who will have numbers of keys even bigger than mine and yet still got nothing.

How do you want me to pay you money for nothing? Gambling in Las Vegas is more secure than buying lockbox keys.

How is this possible I don't get anything you show me (companions, artifacts, Legendary Mounts) after 900 tries? What are the official odds?

I will appreciate any kind of answer. But if you want to answer "blah blah blah RNG is the same for everyone you can't blame us" then don't answer anything.

I feel like you guys are lying to me and I really don't like to be lied. I will happily give you money for something.

Your angry customer.

hudman21 said:

This is becoming a huge problem and these lock box schemes are about to get addressed by politicians. Breitba*#t had an article on it. Its not just this game either.

Odds at winning Vegas games:

Roulette With 38 numbers (1 to 36, plus 0 and 00), the true odds of hitting a single number on a straight-up bet are 37 to 1. That is for the big payout. 50/50 on black or red but the payout is 2:1.

Baccarat Player 1.24%

Blackjack Vegas Rules 0.28%

Video Poker Jacks or Better 0.46%

Here is my issue with lock boxes, I have been playing for 3 years:

When your best chance is worse than these odds I'd say move on. This is gambling pure and simple. Even in dungeon runs your chance in the dungeon chests is about the same. Other than my free key from VIP I dont buy them any more. And I get the VIP for other reasons, not for the key.

There are thousands of posts here regarding +5 rings and ultimate Enchantment stones not dropping after hundreds of runs and hundreds of keys/lock boxes opened. Look at the cost for Legendary mounts and that will tell you how often they drop.

Don't even get me started on the bottle neck they created on upgrading enchantments that need ultimate Enchantment stones. So yeah, I hope PWE addresses this but we all know they wont.

• miket196718#6113 miket196718 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    sorry to say folks but the chance of winning a leg mount is 0.04 percent so a bird told me and if you cant do math that is for every lockbox you open and does not stack lol .. better of buying leg mount then keys lol
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User

Hi.

- Cube of augmentation

Glorious Resurgence has about a 23% chance of getting the artifact pack. The odds of getting that 20 days in a row are relatively low - 0.5%, about 1 in 200 - but it's *only* 1/200. Put another way, for every 200 players opening their VIP boxes? One of them is you.

Ignore the dude who says you get better results from opening large numbers of keys at once because "it's only a PSEUDO-random number generator!". He has no idea what he's talking about and is spouting literal nonsense. But some people do find it more fun to save up their keys and open them all at once, and it can certainly feel like you're getting better results that way.
  • isaintify1isaintify1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    Yesterday after 4 years I finally got my first admin message after opening a lockbox. So maybe that will answer your question. It takes 4 years to get something haha.
    Best advice given to me is "ignore RNG and just play the game and buy stuff you need" - anything you get for FREE should be looked upon as a nice bonus addition to getting to play a nice D&D based game for nothing :smile:
  • wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    > @callumf#9018 said:
    > Best advice given to me is "ignore RNG and just play the game and buy stuff you need" - anything you get for FREE should be looked upon as a nice bonus addition to getting to play a nice D&D based game for nothing :smile:

How it is free if I actually pay money for VIP? Where is the free part here? And where is the free part in the lockbox keys I bought during black friday sale?

> @callumf#9018 said:

> Best advice given to me is "ignore RNG and just play the game and buy stuff you need" - anything you get for FREE should be looked upon as a nice bonus addition to getting to play a nice D&D based game for nothing :smile:

How it is free if I actually pay money for VIP? Where is the free part here? And where is the free part in the lockboxes I bought during black friday sale?

Agreed it isnt free if you pay for something, but you don't have to pay money for anything in Neverwinter you can get the AD by playing the game :) Didnt mean to upset you or anything amigo
    Anyhow on topic I have done the maths and here are the results of my extensive [1xVIP] experience of VIP vs Buying Zen for real life money

For £7.99 you get 30 days VIP which would have got me 940,000 AD from the AH if I had sold everything unopened

For £7.99 you can buy 1200 Zen which would net you 600,000 AD instantly

So 30 days VIP looks like its better than buying Zen

[What I didnt test properly was what I could have sold all the stuff for which I opened, well I started to log it but lost me bit of paper]
  • mushellkamushellka Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 357 Arc User

Yesterday after 4 years I finally got my first admin message after opening a lockbox. So maybe that will answer your question. It takes 4 years to get something haha.

It means that there is still hope for me :)
    I play 3 years, 6 months, I've got VIP since it was introduced.
    Recently I opened 150 lockboxes (3x50 keys) and got ... NOTHING.
    From everyday opening, nothing too.
    In my opinion the chance for a legend is 0.0001% or less
    Better to feed the troll than listen to the idiot .
  • avaavitar#4346 avaavitar Member Posts: 1 New User
    Honestly I just downloaded Neverwinter for the first time and after reading this and the constant patches loading and loading not mention I was unaware I had to download the ARC in addition since I am a Steam player why hog my disk space when I should have been able to play through Steam (Steam is where I saw the game) I really don't understand why I have to download all this extra <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Then I get on here and start reading all this money for keys garbage and everyone screaming Rip OFF. This doesn't bode well for your game or your reputation. What a hassel. I seriously don't think I'll have ARC or Neverwinter on my computer very long. Right now I am sorry I ever considered downloading it in the first place and I will be writing a complaint to Steam regarding this whole ordeal.
  • dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    Odd, I play through Steam. Not sure why you can't.
    I download the game from Steam. I never install Arc. I start the game without using either Steam or Arc.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,492 Arc User

Honestly I just downloaded Neverwinter for the first time and after reading this and the constant patches loading and loading not mention I was unaware I had to download the ARC in addition since I am a Steam player why hog my disk space when I should have been able to play through Steam (Steam is where I saw the game) I really don't understand why I have to download all this extra HAMSTER. Then I get on here and start reading all this money for keys garbage and everyone screaming Rip OFF. This doesn't bode well for your game or your reputation. What a hassel. I seriously don't think I'll have ARC or Neverwinter on my computer very long. Right now I am sorry I ever considered downloading it in the first place and I will be writing a complaint to Steam regarding this whole ordeal.

I think you did get a few thing wrong:
    * Opening lockboxes does not give anything *required* to play Neverwinter and do well in Neverwinter. The bitching is about getting Legendary mounts, for which lockboxes is the only source. But you do not need a legendary mount, in fact many of us do not have one and still do well in game. We still dream though :)
    * When you open a lockbox you usually get lots of other valuable stuff, so even if you do not get a legendary mount you DO get value from it - but not enough to cover the price of the key bought at full Zen market cost. Even a key bought at 40% discount seems to go more or less break even only. There is no need to buy keys though unless you want to gamble for legendary mounts.
    * Most keys come from VIP. If you open lockboxes with VIP keys the sales value of the stuff gained from them usually exceed the cost of the VIP, and then you get all the other VIP goodies as bonus.

• matthattrmatthattr Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    lowjohn said:

Hi.

- Cube of augmentation

Glorious Resurgence has about a 23% chance of getting the artifact pack. The odds of getting that 20 days in a row are relatively low - 0.5%, about 1 in 200 - but it's *only* 1/200. Put another way, for every 200 players opening their VIP boxes? One of them is you.

Ignore the dude who says you get better results from opening large numbers of keys at once because "it's only a PSEUDO-random number generator!". He has no idea what he's talking about and is spouting literal nonsense. But some people do find it more fun to save up their keys and open them all at once, and it can certainly feel like you're getting better results that way.

Totally! what folks don't understand about coding and RL random is in the computer realm "random" is only "pseudo random", game designers never want to cop to that, "random generated numbers" from a binary system isn't possible, you can only approximate it. It's like defining the value of Pi, it's going to hit a number out there, maybe thousands, maybe millions of digits but it's a repeating sequence eventually, it's not random.

Flip a coin, 50% chance its heads, 50% tails right? WRONG. There is a infinitesimal chance it lands on the vertical edge, truly random, computers are binary, that 3rd side isn't accounted for on tails and heads. 1 or 0. So I flipped the coin 100 times and it's going to be 50 heads and 50 tails...WRONG. Every flip is an equal change of head/tail and that very rare on end chance. the last flip has no play on this flip, you could flip the coin and with that 49.xxxxxxxxx%/49.xxxxxxxxxxx% odds get 99 tails and that 100th be heads or tails or on end, the past flips have no bearing on outlaying flips odds, each is flip is distinct.

Computer game RGN aren't, they are fixed stat approximations of random.
  • rainer#8575 rainer Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    For anyone who thinks the chance on a legendary drop is 0.0001% or anything ridiculous like that... It's not. The chance has been proven multiple times to be somewhere between 0.1 - 0.15%. So ON AVERAGE every 750-1000 lock boxes contains a legendary drop (excluding the contents of the blue boxes, which can also be legendary). The keyword is "on average" - meaning that it's only guaranteed over a really big sample, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s_-kaxZB-M
  • jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    Then there is the stuff that people think is worthless junk and either throw it away or just put on the AH for 1k AD, like the Cloak of the Protector, which I bought 12 of at 1k AD and then sold for 90k each, they're now selling at 300k each.

Same with Air Archons, so many were dropping when they first appeared that people were practically just giving them away.
  • lldtlldt Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited January 2018

if you buy the keys at 40% discount you will generally more or less recover the cost of the key by selling what you get from opening

This was true in the past, but the average selling price for pretty much everything in the boxes have dropped significantly in the past year for one reason or another. A 40% discounted key costs 37,500 AD. Your ASP is going to get dragged down by the mount and stronghold packs and will be below that at current AH prices . Then you still need to minus the AH 10% commission.

• trinity706#8838 trinity706 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    The thing about lockboxs is the cumulative value they grant from the immediate rewards.

Sell EVERYTHING that you get that you don't want. Every time you open a lockbox then open the second pack, etc. you are pretty much hammering the AD value into the ground. Selling a Jungle Cat mount pack for like 8k is far better than opening it and getting two insignias not even worth 500 AD.

For the majority of players they would be able to buy a legendary mount (or two) before they get one out of a lockbox. Spending AD on keys to try and get ahead is quite risky, if you sell all for the most part you can break even or get a "little" profit.

Buy keys and VIP during the 40% off sale and enjoy the game the rest of the time.

The other part of lockbox RNG is this thing about players blaming the game for their lack of self control...

ALL Rights Reserved for any and all suggestions, ideas, etc. from this user.

“There are changes that can be made that don’t require coding...” - TriNitY
    "No amount of coding will change human behavior" - TriNitY

Ongoing Issue: Legitmate Players Banned for Botting (Console) and the Future for "Dedicated" Players

Suggestions: (Implemented) \/\/ Rearrange Character on character Select Screen