test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How long till I get anything valuable from lockbox?

Comments

• jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    Got my first legendary drop after 3 years, I tend to buy keys with 40% off coupons but only if I bought zen for something else and have a little more left.

A friend got 2 Legendary Glorious drops withn one month, both a free key, RNG is RNG.
  • lukejones77lukejones77 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 282 Arc User
    I expect very little from lock boxes, and I get what I expect.

What really hurt though, was discovering that my 14 year old son, knowing how desperate I was for a Tenser disk back in the day, found a way to spend almost all of his $150 fruitlessly trying to get one for me, before I found out.

He wouldn't let me re-reimburse him, so, painful, yet poignant.
    Ironically, it will be a treasured memory.

Not a fan of NW RNG, though I'd like to get back to supporting the game with cash - if my class ever makes it back into "the meta".
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Selling loot packs from lock boxes is the only sane thing to do with a free key from vip.
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

I expect very little from lock boxes, and I get what I expect.

What really hurt though, was discovering that my 14 year old son, knowing how desperate I was for a Tenser disk back in the day, found a way to spend almost all of his $150 fruitlessly trying to get one for me, before I found out.

He wouldn't let me re-reimburse him, so, painful, yet poignant.
    Ironically, it will be a treasured memory.

Not a fan of NW RNG, though I'd like to get back to supporting the game with cash - if my class ever makes it back into "the meta".

It may be painful in a hindsight. However, you received the greatest gift of any father can get. Enjoy that. A Tenser disk cannot replace that.
    Yes that wins the internet today
  • dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    niadan said:

Selling loot packs from lock boxes is the only sane thing to do with a free key from vip.

I agree it is the sane thing to do, but I am insane. I love to open everything slowly over time and enjoy the "what if rush" before I open them knowing I will not get much most of the time. It is fun path for me, but I agree, it means less AD for me too. LOL

You are lucky to have a son who loves you like this. Very lucky indeed.

• sgaddis13#3703 sgaddis13 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Bought 50 keys during the sale. Got an additional 5 keys from the charge event. Had 1 from daily VIP. Of those 56 boxes the highlights were 1 Legendary Carpet of Flying, 2 epic Carpets of Flying, and enough companion tokens to manage another upgrade.

I had 56 keys, as well, attained the same way. I got a brilliant diamond and two superior marks. The rest was on the lowest end of the spectrum. Lots of blue insignia and companions that were worth less than 300 ad on the auction house.

That being said, I've used maybe 500-600 keys total, and while I've gotten no legendary mounts, I have gotten everything else you can get at least one time, barring the 30 companion tokens. I can't see using 900 keys and not getting anything of value at all.

This is a really unpopular thing to say, so no one yell at me, but if the drop rates for legendary mounts were higher, that would kind of ruin the point behind them being really rare. They're supposed to be hard to get, so I see it more as "Wow, you have really, really good luck!" when someone gets more than one versus saying "I have bad luck, this is rigged" when I don't get one myself.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    Since the game launched on PS4 over a year ago I have opened around 3K boxes and have not seen a since Legendary mount. I have received many Epic packs but that was during the June sale when many including myself where opening many LBs during that time. I opened around 1K at once and got 5 epic packs.

I was talking with a friend and they got 2 legendary mounts and a legendary companion pack with just 50 keys. That same player average 1 legendary every 50-100 keys. Trust me, the game is not RNG friendly to me other than with+5 rings.

I did 30 lockboxes as an experiment and the first 29 were dire, I opened everything i got and nearly every time it was lowest common denominator stuff. Every time. Then on box 30 a UES! I sold for 800k. But honestly what can you buy for 800k AD?

AS TO LET US BUY WHAT WE WANT...

I look in the Zen store...

I want an Orange Mount... is there any there?

I want some iL 480 boots ... is there any there?

I maybe a noob and a half but the Zen store doesnt seem to have much decent stuff in it anyway. JUST spend money on a chance to get something good.

So I play the content I enjoy for fun and its unlikely I will ever spend real life money on the game, therefore, for me [I am their target demographic, potential to spend money] their current business model isnt working. That should be a consideration for their business development team.

I've already said one thing that people won't like, so this will probably draw even more ire, but before anyone flames me, let me stress that this is only my opinion, and I neither anticipate nor expect anyone to agree with me.

If those things were on the auction house, that would make NW most certainly a pay-to-win game. People who are fortunate enough to have large wallets would walk into the game as geared as someone who has been playing daily since mod 6 was new. the fun of playing is when you finally achieve getting that higher level equipment or earning enough AD to buy a legendary mount off the auction house.

Also, as I said in another post, yes we all want those things, but the appeal is created because they are rare. They wouldn't be exciting and fun otherwise.

If those things were on the auction house, that would make NW most certainly a pay-to-win game.

Did you mean to say Zen Store?

I ask because these things he listed are on the AH.

• drsmilingdogdrsmilingdog Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Just a thought but lockbox keys cost roughly what?..A buck a piece give or take? If you have no problem, money wise, buying 900 of them or more over the course of a year or two then why not just buy $900 worth of zen, convert it to AD and buy your legendary mount with a HAMSTER load of AD left over to buy other shiny things? :)
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,214 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    I still don't quite understanding why people are crazy about Legendary mount. Few of them are good but not all of them. Paying to get those Legendary mount is hardly pay to win but pay to show off.

What do you really get from a Legendary mount?
    1. A special attack
    2. +2000 stat (I said +2000 because it is 2000 more than its Epic version)

If you are lucky enough to get a Legendary mount by chance, you are usually in one of these situations.

a. You are BiS or almost BiS. Hence, this will give you another may be (say) 1% advantage. If that extra 2000 stat does not even help your class much, it comes down to the attack only. With that little advantage, the legendary mount is hardly pay to win.

b. You are fairly new. That 4000 stat may mean (say) 30% performance enhancement. Well, with the price of a Legendary mount, you may as well sell it and to buy various enchantments, the epic version of the same mount, better gear, etc. Hey, you may enhance your character (say) +60% this way. You can pay to win 'better' without the Legendary mount.

c. You just want to show off. The mount is cool. That is pay to show off.

By the way, there is nothing wrong about pay to show off.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    no legendary pulls for me so far, but I assume the day(if ever) that I get one, the item will have lost most of its value coincidentally. atleast I have been making a profit off of vip keys in the mean time.
    im actually the gwf carry
  • jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    For me getting a Legendary T-Rex for MoF was the best thing I could have gotten him, adds to his buffs/debuffs and the combat power one shots Souls and Shadows (but not Wraiths or Revenants) in TONG.
  • gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Here for about 2-3 years now. 750+ keys. I bought a ton of keys this black friday alone. Over 2200 hours on my main.
    Not a single epic, let alone legendary drop. That is not how you treat your community. Don't turn your RNG into a metaphor for chinese water torture.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    I think that is the main problem with lockboxes really: Old players (like myself) that has opened 700+ lockboxes has nothing to show for it, while a newbie with some luck scores a legendary mount in his first month.

The effect is just unfair. There ought to be some connection between effort and reward.
    greywynd said:

You opened a box and got what was inside. Effort. Reward. What it comes down to is that you did not get something you wanted.

I opened a box and got another HAMSTER stronghold pack or something. Possibly an an aneurysm.

If those things were on the auction house, that would make NW most certainly a pay-to-win game.

Did you mean to say Zen Store?

I ask because these things he listed are on the AH.

Yes, in fact, I did. Thank you!

Here for about 2-3 years now. 750+ keys. I bought a ton of keys this black friday alone. Over 2200 hours on my main.
    Not a single epic, let alone legendary drop.

Just to be clear, you have not received even a single purple item of any kind or just not a purple mount?

I ask for clarification because I received a Purple Refinement Stone in a box this week, but it was not a memorable as if I had gotten a Purple mount. I suspect you mean you have never received a purple mount, but I will leave it to you to clarify. :smile:

Not a single epic, let alone legendary drop.

Just to be clear, you have not received even a single purple item of any kind or just not a purple mount?

I ask for clarification because I received a Purple Refinement Stone in a box this week, but it was not a memorable as if I had gotten a Purple mount. I suspect you mean you have never received a purple mount, but I will leave it to you to clarify. :smile:

Nothing interesting. I mean, I got vouchers and stuff. But that's about it. Not even purple insignias. No artifacts, mounts, companions, nothing.
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    and......with all those trade bars from 1000s of lockboxes you could have purchased a few purple mounts by now in the shop as your consolation prize ..the devs sure are nice offering an alternative way ..
  • welshdemonwelshdemon Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    this is an ongoing thing it pisses meoff as well but i still open them and for the first time sinc ei played i got a epic companion so happy but that will bemy last i iwll get for a long time rng sucks big time and willalways suck big time, for example i am a tank and when i do cn i ake around about 30-40mil damage and all i get it is a miserable +1 ring and dpser's get good drops so tell me about rng it does suck big time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kalina311 said:

and......with all those trade bars from 1000s of lockboxes you could have purchased a few purple mounts by now in the shop as your consolation prize ..the devs sure are nice offering an alternative way ..

You're trying to sugarcoat the fact that the devs are treating some players like HAMSTER.
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    I've gotten 2 leg mounts from lockboxes over the last 2 years--1 was from a daily key. I didn't really do lockboxes before VIP, so I can't count my first year in NW.
    edited December 2017

kalina311 said:

You're trying to sugarcoat the fact that the devs are treating some players like HAMSTER.
    ya cause the RNg knows how long you have been playing and what class you are and whether you "deserve it" or not and "treats you " accordingly and exactly how are these devs "selectively" treating players and knowingly so just lol dude ....

players have asked in feedback many times for sure ways to save tokens over time for some measurable ways of progressing the loot they wants and goals ... just like protector seals etc

its exactly the opposite the tokens are there by the devs so players are given equal consolation prizes by saving up/ grinding and are not singled out for only being "lucky" in rng

so once someone wins something "good" (according to them) " they should no longer be allowed to win more and thier loot luck flagged ...as this RNG must go to make another new player lucky and rich to fund their character in order not to treat players like Hampster ...LOLZ ..
    Post edited by kalina311 on
    edited December 2017

this is an ongoing thing it pisses meoff as well but i still open them and for the first time sinc ei played i got a epic companion so happy but that will bemy last i iwll get for a long time rng sucks big time and willalways suck big time, for example i am a tank and when i do cn i ake around about 30-40mil damage and all i get it is a miserable +1 ring and dpser's get good drops so tell me about rng it does suck big time

this has nothing to do with lockboxes and vip now does it.and the topic on hand ...

... I agree the systems is a bit broken as far as calculating damage and rewards in skirmishes cause of damage done being favored ... not dungeon loot and certainly not by class and damage done ..

umm why not actually use the character loadout changer offered by the devs and become dps gf if you think this will make you "more lucky" ...
    ..wait cause there is no such thing as dps GF ...? lolz