test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So is everyone totally stoked for our new full heals role?

usernamefatigueusernamefatigue Member Posts: 60 Arc User
edited September 2017 in The Temple

Comments

• Options
    onodrainonodrain Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    Based on what the developers have said recently, this should be expected. The thing that surprises me most is that they plan to act quickly. So the patch after 12b is likely. Which means just in time for the holidays!

I was also surprised to see him call it a nerf. They must be tired, because "adjustments" is a better word to use. LOL!
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Hm... he did say that in a 10 player+ raid, that 1 AC + 1 DO is going to be the best combo...

You can interpret it as "lol he forgot Templocks and Healadins are a thing" or "DC buffs will not be fully eliminated".

• Options
    edited September 2017
    At first I had thought that, but then he went on to say that he thinks most players want damage and heals to be effective, contrasted that idea to buffs and debuffs, and called it a nerf.

So, yeah.

• Options
    I hate to say this, but in some content, my DevOP makes it much easier than my DC. The issue I have is that the group finder will sometimes see my OP as a tank when I am in burning, I mean healing spec.

What I am talking about is PUG groups for some of the epic dungeons. For instance, eToS final fight with the High Priestess is much faster on my Burnadin than my DC. My OP is about 500 GS lower than my DC, but they have similar boon completion. The DPS from BG and HW are still very significant in some content, especially if you have some weak DPS classes due to PUG.
  • Options
    volkihar#6493 volkihar Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Is PoD bugged too? Exaltation is bugged too if i'm not wrong.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I think one issue is the healer role means either a DevOP or a DC. I expect that due to current design, they cannot consider a SW a healer, since their healing powers are feat based, not paragon based.

I think a simple way to "cure" the DO-AC conundrum is make their powers only stack when you are in a Q group of 6 or more.
  • Options
    meiramimeirami Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 423 Arc User
    It doesn't matter who is the best healer class: all classes have access to lifesteal and, if the party brings an external healer, that class must contribute meaningfully in another area (buff/debuff or dps).

Right now players want two DCs in their party because of strong paragon-exclusive damage buffs.

If the devs want to kill the 2 DC meta, I think one of the better ways to do it would be to move our strongest paragon-exclusive damage buffs (Anointed Army's powershare, Terrifying Insight, and Battle Fervor) elsewhere in the power tree, preferably to another at-will/daily. This would keep both DO and AC viable, but give no reason to take more than 1 cleric.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    The problem is that there us so much synergy between 2 DCs that it will be hard to remove it all without a major rework that would likely gut the class.

Not paragon specific per se:

-Weapons of Light stacks from 2 DCs
    -2 DCs can maintain both empowered forms of Break the Spirit and Forgemaster's Flames
    -Anointed Army (any daily works) Spam and Hastening Light makes it easy for another DC to maintain 100% on HG and procs Shepherd

Paragon Specific
    - Terrifying Insight
    - Blessing of Battle and feat
    - Anointed Army

It seems likely that whatever ia planned won't be based on what the game play currently is and yet they obviously don't have the resources to rework all content to reduce boss and mob HP and damage, rework lifesteal without breaking solo play and whatever other fallout may come.

If they remove 1 DC from the party but leave the other viable, it just frees up the spot for another class that offers buffs/debuffs.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    you can already make an argument that a good MOF is in the neighborhood of taking that DC slot. It wouldn't take much to tip the scale (especially if you don't have OP in party feeding the AC power share). Although I don't think that fixes what the devs really want which is to have 3 DPS in party which would require strengthening the DPS potential for DPS builds and weaking buff/debuff across the board.

As I've stated before the real goal should be closer to tank, healer, control, aoe dps and single target dps. That would give the party variety of class/roles but you need the content to encourage that meta
  • Options
    plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    ppl look only at tong. not all like this
    edemo meta is one DC. where did the other go?
    T1/2 skirmish meta is 0 DC.
    FBI is one DC

Tong 2 DC is cause it takes hours to finish it (14-15k)
    maybe Bts and FF bug adds to it but u need those tons of stat just to do damage and survive in the new dungeon.

they should put role for dungeons. (even that it too complicated as is)
    healer: +5% AP, +10% heals, -10% damage
    tank: +10% stamina +10% threat, - 10% damage
    DPS: +10% damage, +10% speed, -10% AP, -30% out heals.

if party decide to go with 2 DC. one need to play DPS or not be usefull
  • Options
    there is no meta that doesn't include dc, even if you take a DO, it will out perform bringing additional dps.

They need to think more detailed on roles, there should be a difference between aoe dps and single target, ranged and melee, and noone talks about the need to make the game use a controller role. They make 3 DPS roles required, everyone will want 3 gwfs
  • Options
    meiramimeirami Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 423 Arc User
    I think that instead of fiddling back and forth with DC, the devs could:

1) Give some love to SWs and TRs. These two classes seem to be left on the shelf the most.

2) Change the queue system so that would recognize paragon paths (e.g. let Temptlocks take the healer slot) and expand on that.
  • Options
    meirami said:

I think that instead of fiddling back and forth with DC, the devs could:

1) Give some love to SWs and TRs. These two classes seem to be left on the shelf the most.

2) Change the queue system so that would recognize paragon paths (e.g. let Temptlocks take the healer slot) and expand on that.

I second that. SW and TR need some PvE love. It seems the developers are stuck on splitting powers between PvP and PvE. They want the TR powers to work the same in both PvP and PvE. They need to get over it already and balance them independently. TR will never reach its PvE potential until they do this.

The Q system has to recognize paragon paths for the Paladin to be able to be Tank or Heals, since their paragon choice determines this for them. I think you meant recognize the feat trees.

I still feel the better option is to have the AC and DO powers not work together in a single group. Make it so you have to have a Q group of 6 or more for the powers to synergize. To me, it sounded as though the developer did not like the way the DO was reworked last time. So I am expecting the heavier nerf on the DO.
  • Options
    still won't matter unless they make TR and SW overpowered. As long as GWF has lightning and can shred both AOE and single targets more efficently and is cc immune. TR and SW will remain second class citizens for the role of DPS. No cc role in party limits the options for how to play your TR and the lack of need for healing limits the roles on your SW.

And with loadouts, anyone can adjust their role once they enter.

I think its more likely you see a nerf to AC than DO, they are battling stat stacking via bonding but the issue remains there is no diminishing return on stats. As long as OP/AC combo's are putting DPS over 200K power, this will be getting attention.

Honestly the new queue system is kind of a fix. They are providing you an incentive to play outside the meta, you can decide if the incentive justifies it. 20 seals and 6k AD while not a huge amount, it is something to consider.
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    The issue is that DCs are not a popular class to play but all teams want two.

The change won't force DCs to play healer anymore than they currently do but if you remove one from the party it frees a space for a different buff class.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    without the threat of dc nerf you will probably find more people coming to the DC class. Noone wants to change to change classes when there is a cloud of nerfom hanging over it, atleast to the degree the devs have already called it out.

Without major overhauls you either end up with everyone wanting OP, GF, MOF, DC, GWF parties or OP, MOF, GWF, SW, DC parties (assuming 2xDC is removed). That still leaves no room for HR, TR. GF will still have a home but I think OP will be preferred for the extra survive-ability.
  • Options
    miyanaamiyanaa Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 72 Arc User
    I dont understand why they would nerf a DC when it comes to buffs/debuffs tbh.
    How hard can it be to force people to make rainbow parties for dungs? Allow just ONE cleric in the group? (except the trials)
    I mean... yeah.
    PvP DC ~ Meep Neox
    YouTube
  • Options
    superent666superent666 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    One cannot know how they are going to do away with the 2 dc meta, while keeping both DO and AC equally viable and not erasing the synergies between them and also without nerfing the buff/debuff qualities of both down into the ground which would be nonsensical since it´s the only meaningful contribution of a dc to the party in PVE as things are now. Just prohibiting 2 dc´s in a party for the latest content (fbi onwards...for the rest it´s of little consequence anyways) would be possible but it didn´t sound like they´re planning that and that would be a clunky and problematic solution, too.

Not long ago they gave us the DO buff/debuff build option because players were complaining DO wasn´t viable and they were all playing the same build. Not that this added some awesome level of variety...it really didn´t. But some little variety is still better than no variety, right? Unfortunately they created the 2 dc meta this way. Which now has to be nerfed away. Who could have foreseen that new content with trillions of hitpoints would induce players to take the time and gather 2 kinds of dc for their parties? Well, maybe a dev with an actual plan but such a one was sorely missing. The reason we got a second viable buff/debuff option for the dc (creating the 2 dc thing) was that the game as it is seems to offer little room for a dc to make another meaningful contribution...like dedicated healing or mitigation.
    I wouldn´t mind at all if that changed but it would require major changes to the game. And if there´s literally only one meaningful thing the dc can contribute to a party without having any actual choices (like cw) they´d better be the best at doing that. And well, all running around with the same powerful build still beats having the choice between two HAMSTER ones - doing the same thing just in a slightly different way.

The good thing about the dev post was that he mentioned that the game isn´t in a good place and this prevents more exciting dungeon design and more varied and interesting party roles.
    And I´d be very excited if they actually made major changes that would make gameplay (and future dungeon design) more varied and interesting. That would be awesome!

It guess it would be a difficult mammoth project but totally worth it since it would improve the very foundation of the whole game. I wouldn´t know why players would hate it if they got 1 or 2 more barebones campaigns that don´t introduce 10 different kinds of repetitive and depressing nonsense to be done for weeks and instead would get balanced classes, more diverse class roles, build options, better/different dungeon design...And if they managed to do this in a player-friendly way and without outlandishly bad communication with players...awesome:)
    It´s just that past experience in general and the posts in particular don´t exactly inspire much hope on that...quite the contrary.
    So what I read in the post was: we hate the current 2 dc meta and are going to kill it rather sooner than later with the nerf-bat applying just as much thought in the process as we did when we created it in the first place.
    Well, my dc will still be extremely good-looking in his pink skirt so he will have one asset left:D Until they are maybe in some far away future making big adjustments to the game that will make dc healing or mitigation useful again. Or maybe not.
    Of course I hope I´m being totally unfair and wrong:)
    We cannot know what is planned since the dev just announced a nerf without giving any specifics-.-
  • Options
    I think the developers have been making changes to see if they could do enough without a major nerf. I may have some of my details sketchy as I have only recently come back to the game. So I am playing catch up. But here are the changes that I think are related:

HG cooldown (45 seconds)
    AA power share decreased from 50% to 33%
    Base power for power share changed to not include buffs like bonding, legendary pet or insignia buffs
    Defense debuffs limited with hard cap and severe diminishing returns
    Bonding stones decreased at rank 12 from 95% to 55%, with max set at 65%

What they overlooked was that damage to monsters is impacted in two ways. Debuff their defense or increase the damage to them. They did not change the way damage increase buffs work. So the DC became the winner due to our damage increase buffs.

IMHO the issue is that damage increase buffs typically are multiplicative and this problem is not specific to DC, it is system wide. Since these buffs are multiplicative, there are no diminishing returns in using them.

Change the damage buffs to be additive in a single "damage mulitplier" layer. This would be a much better solution IMHO. As it would solve the problem in the system itself with undiminished returns for damage buffs.
  • Options
    To be fair the meta was multiple DCs before the DO rework. We were just spamming AA instead and watching power jump through the roof.
  • Options
    I did 2 DC runs when both were AA as well.

Anyway someone should go back to the DC rework thread and pull out the posts where people warned of the AC+DO meta just by reading the preview notes. Because of course the dev responsible had no way of knowing, as Asterdahl claims.

(I'll be honest. I discounted it then because I underestimated people's willingness to wait so long to find 2 DCs.)
  • Options
    Well i think the willingness to wait for 2 DCs is a reflection of how challenging the content is. BTW you don't need 2 dcs, i did an OP, MOF Ren, SS CW, templock, right DC run the other day. It was slow but we finished. Last boss being the challenge without the burst damage for the souls.
  • Options
    I've done T9G as sole DC, though not without OP and GF. The Souls van be a problem with a less optimized group, but that fight is just too unforgiving for bad Ping, lapse of attention. Half the time I don't have the laughter audio. I've run with players who couldn't see Acererak at all. It reminds me of early MSVA and the invisible manticores or CN and the invisible death spheres. They are over designing for what the players, the clients and their own servers can handle.

While I find that group you list better than 2DC, it is still essentially 4 Supports. Loadouts being one of the great successes of the current game era... But 4 supports aren't what the devs want or what the playerbase can easily provide.

I am very uneasy as to what is being planned. All of the classes I played in the early game, CW, GWF, DC and TR have all had major changes but only the DC remains as fun as before. I don't want to see that class get messed up as well.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I made a super-whiny post in the Random Q's thread yesterday (top of page 33), asking if this is a nerf to synergy or us as individual dcs, and got this in response.
    asterdahl said:

I was referring to nerfing the 2 DC meta, I apologize for the lack of clarity. We don't have any intent to nerf DC generally. I spoke about how in the long run we'd like to make damage dealers focus more on dealing damage, and healers more on healing and generally everyone less on buffing and rebuffing, so depending on your feelings, those adjustments could be seen as a nerf, but those are longer term goals.

The more near term goal of ensuring that players don't want to bring 2 DCs to a 5 man (at least in the sense that it wouldn't actually be faster than bringing another class) won't be directed at making devoted cleric generally worse in any way. There's plenty of speculation that whatever adjustments are made will make one of the paragon paths "unplayable," but obviously, this is something we'll try to avoid when making adjustments.

End of an era, guys.

• Options
    If they can reduce the effectiveness of buffing without making Support characters worthless AND without making dungeons unbeatable, more power to them. Right now, the Devs' standard response to issues that players raise on the Preview changes is a 'We may have to look into that in the future' response. As any long term player knows, Cryptic's track record of timely fixes is not inspiring. So if they break one of my favorite classes (DC), I should just wait for the inevitable fix... except I have a Mod Zero era TR as well and where is that rebalance?
  • Options
    almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    @usernamefatigue
    I saw that responde and it felt like a knife in my guts :/
    My main is DC, I still can't decide which character to prepare for plan B (DC death) HR or GWF.
  • Options
    miyanaamiyanaa Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 72 Arc User
    almondum said:

@usernamefatigue
    I saw that responde and it felt like a knife in my guts :/
    My main is DC, I still can't decide which character to prepare for plan B (DC death) HR or GWF.

Same..Ive been playing only DC since mod3 (had TR since beta but left it behind once I got my DC), and never made any alt class, I have nothing at all but a DC.
    So even though Im takin a break from the game atm, just waiting to see how the changes gonna look like, if they completely destroy DC then Im pretty sure I will just delete my account :P
    PvP DC ~ Meep Neox
    YouTube