test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Vote for your favorite Driftwood Tavern Community Title!

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
edited June 2017 in News & Announcements

Vote for your favorite Driftwood Tavern Community Title! 204 votes

Driftwood Patron
5% 12 votes
Barmaid's Bane
16% 33 votes
Taverndweller
10% 21 votes
Drifter
16% 33 votes
HAMSTER
51% 105 votes

Comments

• Options
    coriazcoriaz Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Hamster is great!
  • Options
    gilfstrife#6822 gilfstrife Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hamster for the win
  • Options
    juggarnatha#3498 juggarnatha Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Barmaid's Bane!!!
  • Options
    greatn3ss87#2932 greatn3ss87 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Drifter seems the most usable for Role Playing
  • Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    You'll have to explain where HAMSTER comes from to those who
    don't visit the forum, or at least never swear here. (When you
    announce it as the winner.)

Future title polls may need to forgo such amusing options if
    you ever want something serious. ;-p

Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    goldenone4goldenone4 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Personally Drifter seems a little obvious , however I would like a Title that is a little more . I don't know what it is though .
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User

Personally Drifter seems a little obvious , however I would like a Title that is a little more . I don't know what it is though .

The word you're looking for is HAMSTER.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    seems like my suggestion is going to win. I knew hamster would be a good idea :D
    Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Many of the Heroes in the Forgotten Realms spent much of their life as drifters.
    The Gunslinger from Steven King's The Dark Tower Series would be considered a drifter.
    Han Solo could actually be labelled a drifter.

Such characters don't have a home but they are not homeless. The road is their home.

They prefer the road and drift in and drift out. :)
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2017
    I almost voted for Barmaid's Bane but then was like, "HAMSTER that!"
    obsiddia said:

You'll have to explain where HAMSTER comes from to those who
    don't visit the forum, or at least never swear here. (When you
    announce it as the winner.)

Future title polls may need to forgo such amusing options if
    you ever want something serious. ;-p

What? Boo is outraged! See his fury! It's small, so look close. Trust me, it's there.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Indeed, HAMSTER is not a forum reference. It's a reference to Boo (and Minsc).

Boo does not like your manner. Away with you!
  • Options
    demenoss#9306 demenoss Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    Love HAMSTER, but "Hamster Tavern" would be more on target...

Just my two coppers worth... B)
    Guild: Noble Misfits
    Silky Pan'teeze: Drow Wizard --- Madres de Nasae: Half-elf Rouge
    Kepler: Human Paladin --- Demenoss: Dragonborn Barbarian
    Divine Pan'teeze: Drow Cleric --- Nikki Sharparrow: Human Ranger
  • Options
    wintermurlocwintermurloc Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    :( I'm unhappy with the choices put forth.. If only I realized the titles you were actually seeking would have to revolve around the theme of driftwood taverns I would have abstained from even suggesting as a lot of other folks.. Titles are one of the little things most ppl will just not notice yet may bring a smile to some of us who find fun in those little things and I really thought this was an opportunity to get something unique.. but talk abt a nightmare come true..
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I'm sorry you feel that way but yeah these were intended to be fun titles themed at least loosely around the Driftwood Taverns.

Long ago we were told titles were actually one of the easier things for the developers to add to the game. Every once in a while it got brought up that it would be nice to make and give away community minded titles, such as the these Driftwood Tavern titles, but it was never really followed through on until now.

So what I am saying is, just because the titles you wanted didn't fit the Driftwood Tavern theme doesn't mean they can't be incorporated in a future event/theme. In fact if you come up with a good reason to give away titles you want it's not beyond the scope of possibility.
    :)
  • Options
    cscriv79cscriv79 Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    Oh great a title that means and references absolutely nothing to what it is a title of.

You censor every swear word with the word HAMSTER then deem it a fitting word for a title as if the real title word was just a swear word. Should just use your normal ingame censoring like @#$&;$.

If it were not meant to be used in that context it would not be in all caps and why is it the only one in all caps?

I am neither here nor there, for I am NevrCene

NevrCene: TR
    Melisandre: SW
    Brienne: GWF

Guild : Mystic Dawn (GH20)
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Drifter makes sense and has a double reference (drifter & driftwood tavern patron) so is easily associable with the community whilst also suggestive of something else.

Hamster is just dumb imo. It's a novelty title of "ooh look I'm swearing - not really!". Please don't choose that.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    Perhaps give out the top two vote getting titles?

I am one who's suggested title contests over the years.
    Can't actually hurt anything and many players will be amused
    by the new options.

Is the title going to be given to those who visit the
    livestream? Or everyone? If it's the livestream then you have your
    answer as a 'good reason to give away titles'. Viewership.
    (Yeah, people will share the code. Loophole in every HAMSTER thing.)

Hm. Maybe 'Miniature Giant Space HAMSTER' as the next race?
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    Hamster was a great idea, btw you should start to use this on live server censoring...

PS. Even if you say it is not, for me is a forum reference, i dont think there a single person that post regularly that dind't found a Hamster in a post (before fix it)...

Just perfect...
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    For you it is a forum reference...but the forum is referencing it from Minsc and Boo.

I mean I guess we could debate this until the end of the world because in some regards this is heavily reliant on perception...
    But if you see a movies that reference a scene from another movie you haven't seen, does that mean anything else that uses the reference (including the original reference) is now referencing the scene from the movie you saw first?

Think of any of these references. Some kids might have heard "I am your father!" from Toy Story before Star Wars. Should those kids be justified in thinking that every time they hear "I am your father" that the movies/shows are all referencing Toy Story? Maybe adults never watched Star Wars, should they say the reference is of Austin powers, Reign of Fire or CW's The Flash?

So yeah, you might be more familiar with HAMSTER from the forums...
    But that's an homage to one of the best characters of all time from one of the best video games of all time.
  • Options
    rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited July 2017

For you it is a forum reference...but the forum is referencing it from Minsc and Boo.

I mean I guess we could debate this until the end of the world because in some regards this is heavily reliant on perception...
    But if you see a movies that reference a scene from another movie you haven't seen, does that mean anything else that uses the reference (including the original reference) is now referencing the scene from the movie you saw first?

Think of any of these references. Some kids might have heard "I am your father!" from Toy Story before Star Wars. Should those kids be justified in thinking that every time they hear "I am your father" that the movies/shows are all referencing Toy Story? Maybe adults never watched Star Wars, should they say the reference is of Austin powers, Reign of Fire or CW's The Flash?

So yeah, you might be more familiar with HAMSTER from the forums...
    But that's an homage to one of the best characters of all time from one of the best video games of all time.

I Know the origin for the Hamster word here, what i will never understand is why it was used in censoring, also i just refuse to link any bad word to this character's,i like them from a toon of other games...
    BTW i think that if the censoring where replacing everthing with "bread" for exemple, you would have "bread" on that list really hight atm...
  • Options
    But what does Hamster (or Minsc) have to do with the Driftwood Tavern or its patrons? There's no logical association.

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    armadeonx said:

But what does Hamster (or Minsc) have to do with the Driftwood Tavern or its patrons? There's no logical association.

This is a Forgotten Realms based Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying game. The logical association would be that of a lore and roleplaying nature. One could surmise that bards and other storytellers would frequent the tavern with tales of Minsc and Boo, who are two extremely popular characters in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

• Options
    zebular said:

armadeonx said:

This is a Forgotten Realms based Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying game. The logical association would be that of a lore and roleplaying nature. One could surmise that bards and other storytellers would frequent the tavern with tales of Minsc and Boo, who are two extremely popular characters in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

That's a bit of a stretch though. By that reasoning you could call everyone Bhaalspawn.

• Options
    We could at that...except that all the Bhaalspawn should be dead by now since the events of Baldur's Gate was essentially a Highlander Tournament which ended with the Throne of Bhaal. There can only be one!

I could readilyy see Minsc saying "Hamster that!" instead of vulgar language though, and a bard could easily be surmised to pay homage to it.

Any title would be a stretch. Do I think Drifter would be more fitting? Yes. But it's certainly a lot less fun which was the point of the title.
  • Options
    eldeskaleldeskal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 214 Arc User
    How about "drank a drider pretty"?
  • Options
    tondaleiyo#4579 tondaleiyo Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I think "Tavern Troll" should be an option....