test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bonding Runestone Revamp - Please make this happen!

mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
I know I will probably get flamed for this post or told I have no idea what I am talking about. This is my opinion on Bonding Stones and how to revamp them in game.

It is time for the devs to adjust the Bonding Runestones. The reason is that other rank 12 enchantments when equipped on the player are not providing a bonus like the Bonding stones are for players.

I believe something has to be done to bonding stones to improve the game and bring a bit more challenge to the game as three bonding stones at Rank 12 provides players 285% of the companion stats. If my companion has 3K in power, I am getting a 8550 boost to my power. 3 Rank 12 Radiant enchantments do not provide that type of increase in power, so why should bonding provide that type of increase in power? As shown here, Bonding stones are simply imbalanced compared to Enchantments we wear and need to be adjusted.

Here is an update to Bonding Stones that will bring more balance to the game.

R7: Grants 10% of companion stats over 20 seconds
R8: Grants 15% of companion stats over 20 seconds
R9: Grants 20% of companion stats over 25 seconds
R10: Grants 25% of companion stats over 25 seconds
R11: Grants 30% of companion stats over 30 seconds
R12: Grants 35% of companion stats over 30 seconds

Using the same three R12 bonding with a companion that has 3K in power, the player would receive 3150 in power. The bonus would be roughly 30% of what we see today and the variance between each rank would not be as significant as it is now. Overall, this type of change still grants additional stats but the stats are not as over the top like they currently are. Also, when you have a R9 or R10 the time the bonus for the stat is increased up to 25 seconds and when you have R11 and R12 it increases up to 30 seconds.

I know many players spent time and money getting R12 bonding. I didn't want to make R12 bonding useless but I also think they need to be revamped to align them closer to the R12 Enchantments we use on our character.

Let's discuss!

Comments

• Options

This would make 3 r12s the same as augments..

makes zero sense to me..

its not like its free to make any of these ... just lol.

Not 100% true. Augment companions don't provide any type of support in damage, stat boost such as crit chance that Moonbow provides, control effects, etc... A summoned non-augment companion does and would still be valuable to players. This update would allow players to think on which type of companion they will use: Augment or a one to summon that provides other bonuses.

• Options
    micky1p00 said:

A t.vorpal gives me at best 25% damage increase.
    While your 3xR12 Bondings 8550 power, only 12% or so.

And the vorpal is cheaper in the long run, same cost as the the 3 bondings but no need for the additional r12 on the companion.
    So for the sake of game balance, lets nerf Vorpal first.

/s

I would state adjust critical strike / critical chance to a cap of 60%. Now your Vorpal is less effective. I also would like to point out that quite a few players get a nice Critical Chance bonus from there companion.

3 Rank 12 Azure on a companion with 3 Rank 12 Bonding is not 2100 Critical Strike increase for a player but 6K+ increase.

So adjusting the bonding stone results in less chance to crit making the Vorpal less effective.

Like I stated, I will get flamed for this but this post is about making Bonding balanced. In their current state they are not IMO as it makes Augment companions worthless and provides too much of a stat boost.

• Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    no, the adjustments are way to harsh..

maybe one day they will revamp pets/companions and bondings..

but not to the levels you seem to think they will..

I doubt its on thier plate anytime soon.

• Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    i do have several chickens..

=p
  • Options
    ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    I like some of the idea but not all of it. I think they are going in the right direction by making it so that more companions are viable options (the underdark ring change). Though I will miss my brutality ring on my bonding companion - I like that I can now choose amongst other companions as a bonding companion without feeling like I am missing out on a huge stat bump.

There are several augments that I like but would never use due to the loss of stats from bonding.

The idea of balancing the different companion options is worth discussing. Whether or not you agree with the OP's solution. I do get rather tired of seeing Archons everywhere...
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• Options
    hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited March 2017

I would probably increase it slighty. Around 45-60% on R12. I think bondings would still be a very very strong enchantment on companions.
    If a bonding R12 would just have 35%, companions with 3x R12 bondings would give less stats than augment pets and this would be weird if you see the amount of AD bondings cost.
    In my opinion there are 2 ways of bringing companions more in line. Either the devs increase the % of stats that augment pets give to the player or they nerf bondings. Devs need to decide if they want to have augment companions that give as much stats as companions with bondings or they keep bondings a far stronger way of gearing a companion.
    I would really welcome a balancing of the bondings. They are one of the main reasons for content being easy.
    Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
  • Options
    ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    I do think bondings should give more than an augment because in order for them to work - the companion has to remain alive and attacking - when it's dead you get nothing, so there should be a reward for that gamble - I don't know if the current reward is too much and needs to be throttled back or if augments just need a really hefty buff - perhaps turn a different set of stones (eldritch maybe) into an almost "bonding for augments" Rename it an "Amplification Runestone" - that way people who chose to run augments can still buff them to closer what a bonding companion gets and they have to spend the same AD that a person running a bonding companion had to spend to level the stuff up. I still wouldn't put the max stats at the same level as a bonding companion since an augment is a constant stat buff versus the sinusoidal buffs you get from a bonding companion (they are alive, they are attacking, they are dead, they are alive again...) People could then decide to do they want a constant 2000 buff or a 4000 on and off buff? Right now it's more of a 2000 constant buff or a 20000 on and off buff - not much to decide there. It would make it like deciding between your +4 rising precision versus a +4 Sudden precision when you only have room for one ring
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• Options
    hastati96 said:

I would probably increase it slighty. Around 45-60% on R12. I think bondings would still be a very very strong enchantment on companions.
    If a bonding R12 would just have 35%, companions with 3x R12 bondings would give less stats than augment pets and this would be weird if you see the amount of AD bondings cost.
    In my opinion there are 2 ways of bringing companions more in line. Either the devs increase the % of stats that augment pets give to the player or they nerf bondings. Devs need to decide if they want to have augment companions that give as much stats as companions with bondings or they keep bondings a far stronger way of gearing a companion.
    I would really welcome a balancing of the bondings. They are one of the main reasons for content being easy.
    Those values I decided on was random and did not consider Augment companions. I initially had R7 starting at 20% and increase each level by 5%, which meant that bonding companions stats would be at 135% instead of 105% like in my post.

What made me change it to the lower value again not augment companion but how R12 enchantments are used and that even at 135% they provide a better bonus on the companion than the player.

Why should a companion, sidekick / henchmen / etc..., get the better equipment over the hero / player? That is exactly how the game is currently designed with bonding runestones.

Go read any guide and all will tell you get Bonding 12 and give your companion your best enchantment for the best stat increase. Tell me please how that makes sense?

If bonding and Augment are both at 100%, players now have many more options how to build their character and what companion use in the game. The current state of the game is get your bonding as high as possible and get your best enchantments on your companion.

I like options. I don't like limitations such as what we have in this game when it comes to companions and enchantments.

• Options
    oria1oria1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 263 Arc User
    Please do this small test, run a dungeon (like etos) with just DPS with r12 bondings etc but without cw, or cleric to de/buff and tell me if you still think its balanced or not.

Voodoo
    Mof Debuffer

• Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    ravenskya, Companion's Gift persists through the companions's nap and last a long enough for them to get back up and proc it again. The only time that there is an issue is when something that gives the 'has died' dialog, unsummoning the companion. This is mostly only a problem with companions that try to get behind the Dragon Turtle and die or apparently some of the new bosses in Spellplague.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    oria1 said:

Please do this small test, run a dungeon (like etos) with just DPS with r12 bondings etc but without cw, or cleric to de/buff and tell me if you still think its balanced or not.

Voodoo
    Mof Debuffer

The point of a buffer/debuffer is to make content easier. It does make a difference when you have one that knows what they are doing and one that does not know how to play their character effectively.

However, I pug a lot and can tell when a player has bonding and when they don't. Ran into VT and a 1800 IL GF was top in damage. He had a legendary fire archon with full rank 12 bonding. He beat out all other players who either had no bonding or only rank 8 bonding and the group was all 2200 IL+ other than the GF. I was on my DC and simply accept the fact DC damage is well, non-existence compared to other classes.

DC power share is 25%. I'm at 15K power, so my power sharing ability is still less than what a companion with just R12 would give the owner which is 7K vs. my buff of almost 4K.

I ran with a GWF on my GF that ran ahead and literally killed everything with his R12 bonding before I could even use ITF on my GF in eLoL. Seen similar things in eToS as well.

The best runs I see when I pug is when players are not using bonding and the group is working together to complete content. These runs build team work, when you get an OP character simply running from room to room without the group it takes the group dynamic out of the game and makes the game less challenging or engaging.

I also ran a few dungeons with group of 3 DCs, 1 Healadin and a GF. Quick run in eLoL and it was fun. Give me a group of support players over DPS any day of the week due to the added group benefits hat non-damage roles add to groups.

• Options
    ravenskya said:

I do think bondings should give more than an augment because in order for them to work - the companion has to remain alive and attacking - when it's dead you get nothing, so there should be a reward for that gamble - I don't know if the current reward is too much and needs to be throttled back or if augments just need a really hefty buff - perhaps turn a different set of stones (eldritch maybe) into an almost "bonding for augments" Rename it an "Amplification Runestone" - that way people who chose to run augments can still buff them to closer what a bonding companion gets and they have to spend the same AD that a person running a bonding companion had to spend to level the stuff up. I still wouldn't put the max stats at the same level as a bonding companion since an augment is a constant stat buff versus the sinusoidal buffs you get from a bonding companion (they are alive, they are attacking, they are dead, they are alive again...) People could then decide to do they want a constant 2000 buff or a 4000 on and off buff? Right now it's more of a 2000 constant buff or a 20000 on and off buff - not much to decide there. It would make it like deciding between your +4 rising precision versus a +4 Sudden precision when you only have room for one ring

The thing with Bonding, it is rarely off with any Range companion. On my CW rare does my Fire Archon go down and my bonding is up 95% of the time if not more. Same on my DC with his range companion.

The current state of the game with Bonding is simple, get Rank 12 bondings and enchantments for your companion and you will be over powered. That math is simple because player gets a boost of 285% of whatever stats the companion has. This is why Augment are now worthless and have been for a while. When you first start the game and don't have bonding, Augment is ok way to go, but as you reach end game you better get bonding and top end enchantments to ensure you get the most out of your character.

• Options

I think buffs and debuffs are the biggest problems. Instead of nerfing bondings, nerf MoF Rene, DCs, GFs, OPs and any and all buffs and debuffs.

They already did reduce the buffs bonus from GF and DCs. When I started Mod 9 on PS4 DC could stack their power. I was in one dungeon where there was 5 of us and we all were AC DCs and all doing BoB. My power was in the 100-200K range and most players at that time were lucky if they were IL 2200 or higher. That also has been removed.

I like how everyone wants buffers / debuffers adjusted and they have seen adjustments. GF with ITF, DC with power sharing, etc...they do get fixed if the buffing / debuffing is not working as intended.

Companions also need to be looked at. ATM Augment companions are worthless when compared to using a bonding companion.

That needs to be fixed, players should have more than 1 option when it comes to using companions.

• Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Lets HAMSTER off everyone who spent millions and cause even more people to leave the game! I still feel sorry for the people who spent multi-million on legacy armor sets.

Got rank 12s on my cw. Buffs and debuff feel like a much bigger problem than this. The AA nerf will probably cause large decrease in pack clearing in dungeons. Let's just focus on toning down one thing at a time....
  • Options
    treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User

I know I will probably get flamed for this post or told I have no idea what I am talking about. This is my opinion on Bonding Stones and how to revamp them in game.

It is time for the devs to adjust the Bonding Runestones. The reason is that other rank 12 enchantments when equipped on the player are not providing a bonus like the Bonding stones are for players.

I believe something has to be done to bonding stones to improve the game and bring a bit more challenge to the game as three bonding stones at Rank 12 provides players 285% of the companion stats. If my companion has 3K in power, I am getting a 8550 boost to my power. 3 Rank 12 Radiant enchantments do not provide that type of increase in power, so why should bonding provide that type of increase in power? As shown here, Bonding stones are simply imbalanced compared to Enchantments we wear and need to be adjusted.

Here is an update to Bonding Stones that will bring more balance to the game.

Using the same three R12 bonding with a companion that has 3K in power, the player would receive 3150 in power. The bonus would be roughly 30% of what we see today and the variance between each rank would not be as significant as it is now. Overall, this type of change still grants additional stats but the stats are not as over the top like they currently are. Also, when you have a R9 or R10 the time the bonus for the stat is increased up to 25 seconds and when you have R11 and R12 it increases up to 30 seconds.

I know many players spent time and money getting R12 bonding. I didn't want to make R12 bonding useless but I also think they need to be revamped to align them closer to the R12 Enchantments we use on our character.

Let's discuss!

This is friggin right, right now the situation in endagme we have is: Companions cannot dps enough or heal fast enough, while yes with a lot of defencive debuffs/buffs mobs are not hitting that scandalously hard healer companions dont have oportunity to react because life steal or damage ticks (astral seal for example) will trigger for massive amounts because of as well massive amount of stats, out of endgame, eToS, VT, eLoL healer companions are usefull mostly because the damage dealt by mobs is more enquadred with the players found there (i did not say the players at the dungeon IL).

When it comes to DPS a companion that applies a uncaped damage DR debuff will always be better than a dps companion because the damage dealt by another companion is nothing even by a shadow close to the damage dealt by all the team being buffed.

So what are companions really doing? Granting the gift, nothing else but fixing % of the gift is not the complete solution. With the current state of companions, everyone would simply move to augments, companions costing from only 50k ad and up, so.....it could be made beneficial for the game a full companions rework.

• Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    If bonding get nerfed to oblivion, it BETTER include a complete companion overhaul, which ain't coming anytime soon, so stop crying about people doing bigger numbers than you.
  • Options
    treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Yeah i should cry:

It's about balance, about how far you can go with your stats, about the meaning of companions about the possibilities for builds, can you imagine of a companion dealt 3 times more damage than now? Faithfull DC's could simply carry one to clean content because if a righteous deals 10 with bondings will deal 20 but a faithfull dealing 3 will deal 6, so HAMSTER yes i would like to see this happen and this all "go with it" it's HAMSTER over for me, my bondings are going on the ah or in a augment. And someone dealing bigger numbers than me? Now i am the one saying FFS your world spins around a chart, a whole dungeon that involves control heals, buffs debuffs and you care about 1 number in a chart, dailly i pass by GF/DC's that brag about being paingiver even if the whole team died 10 times and they refused to protect the team i call those people ignorant little minded fools, seeing your team sacrifice and ignore them, and yeah i do big numbers, had the medic field to the paingiver and there are my big numbers.

PS: And remember before mimicking was the lead dev bondings where already said to be addressed and a lot of stuff passed them, just mind this.

• Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    I liked my augment and was very frustrated in giving it up. Bondings were overpowered. Then they "nerfed" them to run even stronger. Eventually I was forced to get bondings just to remain competitive. Now you come here and suggest obliterating them. No. Just no, sir.
This discussion has been closed.