Options

Calling out auction house scammers !!!

Comments

• Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    regenerde said:

regenerde said:

Well, you might as well call it a "scam" what is currently going on with Lightning Enchantments... those were selling for around 200k AD at most yesterday, and are suddenly priced at 1.2m AD today... now how did that happen?

what is up with that? lol.
    No idea, looks like someone bought up all the remaining Lightning Enchantment... just wondering if there is something going on with those specific enchantments, and that's the reason why they are suddenly "sold out"?

Anyway, carry on...
    huh certain groups sometimes try to control the market by doing things like this. I wouldn't think the lightning enchant would have enough demand to make this worthwhile tho. seems like a fools errand to me. I was wondering if they had just massively buffed it or there was a new build that was going to benefit from it or something.
  • Options
    snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    Wow, this sounds like someone is mad that they overpaid for something and is now going to call it a scam.

This is no more a scam then people pricing items very low to both undercut other sellers and force the selling prices down. But since low prices help you you're not going to call it a scam.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like when people over price items either but it is their right do to so. That is why we are allowed to set our own selling price. It is on the buyer to search and be sure that they are not over paying for any item which is why the AH has a not only a search function but also an advanced search function. And the more people that use the search function and stop over paying the sooner the sellers will stop over pricing the items they want to sell. Even without AH posting charge you still want stuff to sell.

I mean If I want to buy a new laptop and search 3 different sites, it not like one site is trying to scam me just because they have the highest price for the laptop I want to buy. Even if it is priced slightly lower then a better laptop.
  • Options
    litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    grrouper said:

regenerde said:

regenerde said:

Well, you might as well call it a "scam" what is currently going on with Lightning Enchantments... those were selling for around 200k AD at most yesterday, and are suddenly priced at 1.2m AD today... now how did that happen?

what is up with that? lol.
    No idea, looks like someone bought up all the remaining Lightning Enchantment... just wondering if there is something going on with those specific enchantments, and that's the reason why they are suddenly "sold out"?

Anyway, carry on...
    Some think with the change coming to weapon enchantments they can make a cash grab by controlling the market. Same happened a few mods back when they changed how lightning enchantment works yet 20M AD for a translightning LMAO good luck with that Yet just another mental misadventure created by the devs by giving VIP no posting fees.

Let me guess.... making AD on the 'market' is a scam too, eh?
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    God, just engage brain before buying. Look at it as real life training.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

litaaers said:

Then you would have to deal with all of the VIP people who bought it, based on the clause of no posting fees. And remember, this would all be to prevent something preventable by looking before you press Buy Out. Twice I might add....

Any change to VIP should be announced fairly far in advance (though 12 months isn't really practical). People hardly buy VIP just for this feature, but it would probably be fair to refund unwanted VIP months (for Zen) if someone really wanted their money back over a change to this one feature.

The issue isn't one person placing a high price on one item. The issue is a fairly small number of players controlling a fairly large slice of the trade for high-value items (e.g. legendary mounts). Watch the AH listings for such items for a while and you'll see the same @handle repeated, for different items (sometimes with 2-3 legendary mounts listed under one @handle). Legendary mounts went up from 5-7 million when my mains got theirs (after the mount rework) to 20-25 million we see today. There isn't an obvious, market-based driver for that price increase.

Real-world economies always have some cost to participate in a market (retail space, website development, staff, advertising, ...) that makes it unprofitable to list products at unrealistic prices. Neverwinter's economy has no such cost. As a result, a fairly small number of players are able to create the illusion that in-demand items are worth more than they should be. They're perfectly content to re-list that same item over and over until just the right buyer comes along.

Those players are doing nothing wrong. They're playing by the rules. The rules, though, are disadvantageous to the vast majority of players.

yes they do buy it for that feature. you'd get vast swaths of people leaving the game if you changed it. those people would control the market regardless of what fees were charged. those people are already wealthy beyond anyone's dreams. they were doing this before vip was introduced. what the op is upset about is not a problem for most people. what you're talking about is a different matter altogether.

but if they changed anything about vip other than to ADD features you'd kill the game. flat out. it would put coalgate and keygate to shame.
  • Options
    cerberusxllcerberusxll Member Posts: 387 Arc User
    you can't defend the indefensible.

it's not scamming, and that is what everyone else is telling you. don't complain about people trolling you if they don't agree with you. suck it up and deal with it.

as for the same person clicking disagree over and over, the one most guilty of that as far as I can see, is you.
    Cerberus | Scylla | Orion | Makelo | Nemesis | Ares | Artemis | Asclepius | Nyx | Hades | Dexithea | Dolos | Demonax | Athena | Enyo | Medusa | Talos | Alcyone
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    @grrouper Look friend, it is the same story as I said back on page one. In your opinion, this is a "scam" within the AH for new players with poor reading abilities. But how do you combat it? There is no way, but to tell people, which you have done, for 3 pages now. People need to review the purchase before they panic buy. Message received, over and out.

Now for the rest of you... the idea isn't completely absurd that someone takes advantage of the less informed shopper. The AH sorts by price as a default. I am not endorsing trade restrictions, but the AH web tool was a lot better. They took down my preferred method to shop on the AH when the Gateway came tumbling down. I don't care to hear some lame duck story about bots either. There are more bots in the game than ever was on the Gateway. Shutdown the game you get rid of 100% of the bots. I am all for a better AH GUI in the game. I want sort by name, cost, quantity, color, etc.. It doesn't need to be on the web, just a better design.

I am done, yep, this thread is toast.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    illustrative of this thread. when you go and hit disagree on nearly every post not in agreement with you it's just disagreeing, when someone goes back and does it to you (and also in honest disagreement) it's suddenly trolling.

you do realize that if you call one trolling you must call your own behavior trolling as well?

but trolling is when someone is JUST trying to get a rise out of the other party. that's definitely not the case on my part. I'm just doggedly trying to make you understand there is a definition of the term scamming and it doesn't fit here. if there were a court of law for neverwinter this complaint would be thrown out.. as it's cut and dried not scamming.. it's not a matter of opinion. but you are ignoring everything you disagree with and are just hitting disagree instead of debating WHY you disagree or what it is in the argument that you believe to be wrong. (and the best defense when you are flat out wrong is to call the other person a troll and to try and discredit them based on character rather than stick to the topic at hand)

but yeah I'm done here. I've made my point in a few different ways and it's fallen on deaf ears.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    and as if to prove my point about you disagreeing with posts more than anyone, you disagree with me making the statement.

you're a hypocrite of the highest order.
    Cerberus | Scylla | Orion | Makelo | Nemesis | Ares | Artemis | Asclepius | Nyx | Hades | Dexithea | Dolos | Demonax | Athena | Enyo | Medusa | Talos | Alcyone
  • Options
    no matter how many times you post a link to a description of the word "scam" it doesn't make it so.

quit trying to insult those who don't agree with you by insinuating they don't know what the word means, we do, and this discussion isn't it.
  • Options
    litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    grrouper said:

find myself explaining myself over and over .

When you have a position, you are SUPPOSED to have to explain it (sometimes over and over). But you are also SUPPOSED to be open to having your ideas tested for veracity, and if they fail, reexamine your premise.
    grrouper said:

I only disagree with the fact that you and others attempt to say posting an item at auction house with the intent to trick someone into thinking they are about to purchase a greater is not a scam. you have yet to prove how it can not be .

1) you are making the claim. Burden of proof is on you.
    2) 'Have yet to prove how it can not be'? You can't prove that that is IS done with 'intent'. All you can posit is 'Well, why else would they do it? Its clear to me www.widely_overused_dictionary_link.com/strawman '. Since you can't be sure, you are free to thrash about and claim what you want, but you certainly are NOT entitled to your own set of facts.

3) This is a public forum. If you expect to post a thread, and not get opposing ideas (especially when your argument is ill constructed), you are in the wrong place. If you want people to echo your opinions, talk to your friends offline and have them pat you on the back and say "Here, here!!"

None of this is done with malice. Its done because people see you posting unprovable allegations, and calling for something to be done.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I'm going to paint two scenarios here, one is a scam, the other isn't. see if you can work out which is which.

scenario 1.

you decide one day that you want to buy a new high-end DSLR camera, so you go into town with a view to purchasing one.

as a stroke of fortune, you notice a new store has opened that sells, coincidentally enough, cameras and other photography equipment.

you go in, browse the shelves, and find what you're looking for, a high-end quality DSLR camera that is in your price range. you go to the counter and tell the retailer the make and model number, and after paying the exact amount shown on the price tag, you get a sealed box with the camera inside.

you rush home with excitement at your new purchase, as soon as you get in, you hurriedly unwrap the shrink wrapping, then open the box. to your horror, you find a child's novelty camera that is actually worth less than the cost of going to buy it.

scenario 2.

you want a regular bonding runestone, so search the auction house for "bonding", and set the quality dropdown to epic.

good news, a whole array of them are on sale, and they are listed by their actual name, from "lesser bonding runestone" all the way up to "transcendent bonding runestone" and all grades inbetween. now, depending on how many items are listed, they might not all appear in the search results.

however, they ARE listed by their correct full name, as well as current bid (assuming one was set) and buyout price, all this information is clearly listed for the buyer's benefit.

which one of those is a scam, and which isn't?

I'll give you a clue, one of them had all the relevant information listed to make buying the item a more informed experience
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    but, there is no trick. there is no scheme. descriptions are not based on price. you are basing your premise that some might buy on price alone and therefore they're being scammed.

does that really work for you?????? seriously??

if someone is as unsophisticated as you are suggesting they aren't going to have a lot of search terms. they're gonna go into the auction house and do a basic search with little or no filtering. that means a lot of things can have the opportunity to pop up. so you're saying that anything that is priced near the item is somehow scamming people because price is the deciding term? because they're too ignorant to read the description????

that's pretty insulting.

and you say you're worried about the kids.. you don't think it's likely kids who are doing this in the first place? (cause I do)

the definition of the word scam requires that there is a description that misleads. because of the way the auction house is set up that is impossible. the only thing they can dictate is the price. the description is there and is always valid. therefore there can be no scam.

when they say schemes they're meaning things like ponzi schemes pyramid schemes things like that. not a scheme where "gee, if I price it near something more expensive maybe someone won't pay attention!".. (Which is a waste of time more than a real scheme. seriously try it. you won't get a hit. lol no one is honestly that stupid) the people bragging to you are most likely HONESTLY trolling you. people might try it because they've been trolled but honestly it isn't going to work.

the person is getting what they bid on. if they can't read that is the fault of the bidder not the seller.

is this really so hard to get?

what precisely do you think is untrue about what I've stated?

people learn by their mistakes. you can be sure if they buy the wrong thing they're going to be more careful next time. is this game scamming you when you accidently delete an email with ad attached or when you accidently finish a task early in professions and lose 100k ad? because that's basically the same thing.

Post edited by thefiresidecat on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    grrouper said:

but, there is no trick. there is no scheme. descriptions are not based on price. you are basing your premise that some might buy on price alone and therefore they're being scammed.

if someone is as unsophisticated as you are suggesting they aren't going to have a lot of search terms. they're gonna go into the auction house and do a basic search with little or no filtering. that means a lot of things can have the opportunity to pop up. so you're saying that anything that is priced near the item is somehow scamming people because price is the deciding term? because they're too ignorant to read the description????

that's pretty insulting.

and you say you're worried about the kids.. you don't think it's likely kids who are doing this in the first place? (cause I do)

the definition of the word scam requires that there is a description that misleads. because of the way the auction house is set up that is impossible. the only thing they can dictate is the price. the description is there and is always valid. therefore there can be no scam.

when they say schemes they're meaning things like ponzi schemes pyramid schemes things like that. not a scheme where "gee, if I price it near something more expensive maybe someone won't pay attention!".. (Which is a waste of time more than a real scheme. seriously try it. you won't get a hit. lol no one is honestly that stupid) the people bragging to you are most likely HONESTLY trolling you. people might try it because they've been trolled but honestly it isn't going to work.

the person is getting what they bid on. if they can't read that is the fault of the bidder not the seller.

people learn by their mistakes. you can be sure if they buy the wrong thing they're going to be more careful next time. is this game scamming you when you accidently delete an email with ad attached or when you accidently finish a task early in professions and lose 100k ad? because that's basically the same thing.

Hey you just don't have no clue do you. You must be a new player even newer than the ones that make the mistake . Yes they do simple search because they are new. I am far from new to this game been here since open beta and i have seen this go on time and time again. Listening to the braggarts go on about the little stunt . Listen to many other that have seen them do the same only to make the same comment . All you do is talk HAMSTER over and over how do you base a scam needing to have a false description the false description is in how the post the value . Keep trolling troll why not help others rather than hinder you HAMSTER.
    you're the one talking HAMSTER, just because you say you have been in the game since open beta, it doesn't mean you know what you're talking about, a lot of us have been here that long as well, stop harping on about it.

even with everyone trying to make you understand why it isn't a scam, you refuse to see it.

stop accusing others of trolling because of your inability to see logic.

oh, and just for your own information, the name of the item is the description, which cannot be falsified. the price is how much the item costs, nothing more.
  • Options
    no, YOU are wrong and everyone is telling you you are. your failure to understand why is your problem.

I think this thread needs to be locked/deleted as we've now come full circle, to no avail.
  • Options
    grrouper said:

What they are doing is a scam sorry you are wrong !!! They scam by "intentionally" setting a exact price of an item in hopes someone will click and buy it by mistake. If they set the price without the "intention" then it would not be them trying to scam/trick/hoodwink . How many fing times must i repeat myself Now stop trolling.

JESUS HAMSTER CHRIST!!!

IT'S NOT A SCAM!!! no matter how many times you keep bringing the word into it, it is not, never was, and never will be a scam.

you can repeat yourself all you want, all you are doing, is repeating that you're wrong. people trying to make you understand why doesn't mean they are trolling.

I'd be inclined to say if anyone is trying to troll, it's you.
  • Options
    grrouper said:

that's pretty insulting.

Hey you just don't have no clue do you. You must be a new player even newer than the ones that make the mistake . Yes they do simple search because they are new. I am far from new to this game been here since open beta and i have seen this go on time and time again. Listening to the braggarts go on about the little stunt . Listen to many other that have seen them do the same only to make the same comment . All you do is talk HAMSTER over and over how do you base a scam needing to have a false description the false description is in how the post the value . Keep trolling troll why not help others rather than hinder you HAMSTER.
    there we go with the ad hom again. a lot of personal stuff against me that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. and "i'm the troll" gotta laugh.

how new I am or you are to the game has zero to do with this debate. you leave off at simple search because they are new and then start with diversionary tactics of calling me new.. when the point was to the simple search that it brings up a lot of items. wiht a lot of various price points.

so lets get back on track. are you saying that all the items that have various price points that are near the price point of the item at hand are scamming the poor new people because the prices are similar although the items aren't? because if they're only paying attention to price they might just click on one of those totally different items as well. Oh noes? right..

but it's a good thing they're probably reading the descriptions because just because they are new doesn't mean they are illiterate right?

Because that might be really insulting to insinuate that new people are incapable of reading the description of the item they might plan to purchase...

what's really funny is that bonding stones aren't exactly newbie territory in purchasing. you have to have some skin in the game to have that kind of ad to buy bondings and to even know what they do.. you'd think there might be just a little saavy in someone who has that much knowledge of the game.

so lots of things show up in a basic search.. many with similar price points but because the price point is NOT the item. It is NOT the description that is not what people are searching for. they aren't looking for something that costs 700k ad and then clicking buy it now without actually reading the description because that could be for ANYTHING..

so it's not an issue... because they're searching for an item.. not a price..

simple stuff really.

(from the newb with two toons near 4k on two platforms. cause newbs also come to the forums and post 1,313 posts in no time flat, but the good news is even though I'm a total newb I've never come close to being scammed in this game.. neat huh!)
  • Options
    grrouper said:

grrouper said:

that's pretty insulting.

there we go with the ad hom again. a lot of personal stuff against me that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. and "i'm the troll" gotta laugh.

how new I am or you are to the game has zero to do with this debate. you leave off at simple search because they are new and then start with diversionary tactics of calling me new.. when the point was to the simple search that it brings up a lot of items. wiht a lot of various price points.

so lets get back on track. are you saying that all the items that have various price points that are near the price point of the item at hand are scamming the poor new people because the prices are similar although the items aren't? because if they're only paying attention to price they might just click on one of those totally different items as well. Oh noes? right..

but it's a good thing they're probably reading the descriptions because just because they are new doesn't mean they are illiterate right?

Because that might be really insulting to insinuate that new people are incapable of reading the description of the item they might plan to purchase...

what's really funny is that bonding stones aren't exactly newbie territory in purchasing. you have to have some skin in the game to have that kind of ad to buy bondings and to even know what they do.. you'd think there might be just a little saavy in someone who has that much knowledge of the game.

so lots of things show up in a basic search.. many with similar price points but because the price point is NOT the item. It is NOT the description that is not what people are searching for. they aren't looking for something that costs 700k ad and then clicking buy it now without actually reading the description because that could be for ANYTHING..

simple stuff really.

(from the newb with two toons near 4k on two platforms. cause newbs also come to the forums and post 1,313 posts in no time flat, but the good news is even though I'm a total newb I've never come close to being scammed in this game.. neat huh!)
    Yep i read a few of your threads asking some pretty noobish questions ones that most could answer for themselves if they took time to test or ask guild members rather than having to come to forums for the answers. Also you are on xbone and ps4 that explains why you are so wet behind the ears and out of touch with player base as we have on pc. Yet you keep getting hung up over the word scam and think that has something to do with description or pricing and for that you are wrong . The scam is in their intention to the way they go about the posting. Keep up troll it all. FYI i won't even waste time reading any more of your comments FYI please keep wasting your Kido

there we go with more ad hom. and kiddo is spelled with two d's. show you're actually an adult who is capable of holding a proper debate/discussion; drop the ad hom and stick to the topic at hand.

how old are you precisely anyway? you seem awfully hung up on age.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    grrouper said:

grrouper said:

grrouper said:

that's pretty insulting.

simple stuff really.

Yep i read a few of your threads asking some pretty noobish questions ones that most could answer for themselves if they took time to test or ask guild members rather than having to come to forums for the answers. Also you are on xbone and ps4 that explains why you are so wet behind the ears and out of touch with player base as we have on pc. Yet you keep getting hung up over the word scam and think that has something to do with description or pricing and for that you are wrong . The scam is in their intention to the way they go about the posting. Keep up troll it all. FYI i won't even waste time reading any more of your comments FYI please keep wasting your Kido

there we go with more ad hom. and kiddo is spelled with two d's. show you're actually an adult who is capable of holding a proper debate/discussion; drop the ad hom and stick to the topic at hand.

how old are you precisely anyway? you seem awfully hung up on age.
    you keep getting hung up over the word scam and think that has something to do with description or pricing and for that you are wrong . The scam is in their intention to the way they go about the posting. Keep up troll it all. FYI i won't even waste time reading any more of your comments FYI please keep wasting your Kido

you cannot prove intention. you're assuming. some people might honestly believe it's worth just a little less than it's big brother regardless of the current sales. or maybe it Was worth more previously. or maybe that's just what the ah is recommending you post it at an the other is so undercut that's where it's ended up.

and you cannot scam someone on the ah. the item is what it is. there is no misdirection.

I'm hung up on the word scam because you keep using it incorrectly. Scam doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

and you left the misspelled kiddo in your post. but declined to answer just how old you were. I think I speak for the world when I say we need to know at this point.

• Options
    buffoon... honestly if you want to insult people it helps if you know how to spell the insults first. You are still in school aren't you? if not you should stay in school. it's clear your education is not over yet.
This discussion has been closed.