test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Updated System Requirements

Comments

• sorvikcorsairsorvikcorsair Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    This isn't the same graphics "upgrade" to lighting 2.0 that STO just went to is it? Game crashes so much now would hate to have that happen here now too!
    Neverwinter
    Fearless Wolves - GM
    Slorik - GWF
    Eevil'N - CW
    Sybyl - GF

Star Trek Online

Sorvik Corsair : KDF Reman Engineer
    S'karn Corsair : KDF Gorn Intelligence
  • blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 424 Arc User
    So, I changed my DX9e to DX11 to see how it works, and omg - it's terrible. I had to change it back. In the 20 minutes I tried to use it, I was booted twice (not even doing intensive graphic stuff, just running my lame 80% khyek across the water).

The biggest issues though were the graphics - SoMI was so difficult to maneuver. The sea "landscape" showed no water level but every single iceberg was the full graphic. Hard to explain, but instead of a flat, floating chunk of ice, I saw a flat-topped stalagmite. That area with all the little ice chunks was just a sea of icicles with no water.

Worst part was that nothing glowed for interaction. So, gathering giant's nodes meant running up to each trunk to see if it was interactable. This is pretty difficult to do, and annoying as heck when you end up aggroing a bunch of giants only to find out that there was nothing to get in that spot. Tried finding a treasure and same thing - it was not glowing, was running around looking for my treasure and ended up realizing the one I thought was wrong was actually correct once I walked over it.

I tried changing a few settings - like the obvious, turning off underwater view, but it didn't help and I didn't have time to mess with it. So, I'm hoping that a new computer (Merry Christmas to me!) will mean a better experience, but there definitely needs to be more work before forcing people to drop DX9.

(for the record, I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit sp2 w/GeForce 9600gs. Yes, I know it's old and "not optimal", but it's actually within the specs they're listing, so it's relevant)
  • > @frozenfirevr said:
    > Interesting. Now my husband is going to have to upgrade his dinosaur. He's been rather resistant for reasons that I don't understand.
    >
    > O.o You're a lady?!

This is 2016, having a husband does not automatically mean you are female.
  • alexanderclarkalexanderclark Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I've issues with DX11 too, so I run DX9. I'd probably quit if they really force DX11 on us.
  • darkstarrfoffdarkstarrfoff Member Posts: 158 Arc User

I've issues with DX11 too, so I run DX9. I'd probably quit if they really force DX11 on us.

Before you quit send me your good stuff plz :smiley: Since... I mean they say it's happening March 1st.
  • eeng1eeng1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 36 Arc User
    I'm running on Windows 10, and directD3 12, and still get this annoying message saying I wont be able to play after march 1.th. 2017, if I keep using directD3 9, is this normal?
  • alexanderclarkalexanderclark Member Posts: 10 Arc User

Before you quit send me your good stuff plz :smiley: Since... I mean they say it's happening March 1st.
    I am a relatively new player with little stuff of value. :)

Also I am playing a WW2 shooter that recently disabled DX9. However, so many people complained that they reversed the engine update afterwards. So there is hope Cryptic will see reason too.

• foxxy#4211 foxxy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I switched to direct3d 9ex #1 over a year ago, because i was lagging and crashing very often. I am now forced so i switched to direct3d 11 #1 and lags and crashes are happening again. I run a win 7 ati mobility radeon HD 6570. So instead of giving a better experience (for me) u will give a bad one, you will make me quit by that date. sad.
    Post edited by foxxy#4211 on
  • shlamyshlamy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    If it's not supported but I can still run DX9EX, that's fine it's not like I'd call support for help if I had a problem anyway but I'm pretty sure the DX9, DX9EX options are going to vanish. I get it, I write software, it's hard to move forward and improve things while maintaining backwards compatibility but this could be a very serious hurdle for PW/Cryptic as explained below.

I'm a Linux user so I'm in a real bind if the DX9 options go away completely. I've tried getting it to run with DX11 but it's utterly unplayable thus far and most report DX11 in WINE as not very functional regardless of the game. As it stands this will also kill off any Mac users as well, given they also rely on CW/WINE. DX9EX works perfectly!

Excluding those evil non Windows users, even on my wifes brand new Windows machine (i7,8GB,SSD,R370,Win7 DG rights from Win10) the DX11 option runs like garbage and crashes all the time but if set it to DX9 it runs perfectly all day long. So it's quite possible this will also eliminate users that are perfectly in-line with (or well above) the games current requirements.

Come March, if things don't change the wife and I (our teenagers sometimes play as well) will have to find a new game to each spend $20-50/week on... I'm sure you've run the numbers, "Run them again!" BitW ;) . If the DX11 implementation isn't rock solid you're going to loose players in troves. If DX11 ran close to decently on my wifes machine, I could almost convince myself to dual boot my workstation with some version of Windows just to play this one game but that currently doesn't seem worth the time and effort. I'm also now glad we didn't renew our VIP which conversely makes me really sad.

For now, until further clarification is provided my credit card won't be visiting the billing site, with that I guess you've started loosing money from us as of today because I'm here posting this and not buying my "Saturday Morning Zen" or even playing the game. This weeks zen was going to get my tank to 3.2k so I could start tanking SVA, grrrrrr. I've now rage quit and well, I don't know what to do... the only thing I did with my free time was play NW. I'm sure the wife has some chores or something... thanks!

Otherwise, thank you for a very enjoyable game that I loved spending time and money on, send me an email if you come up with a Linux client or even a decently working DX11 one...

/starts collecting stamps
  • hfleethfleet Member Posts: 139 Arc User

I'm currently able to run my game well using my Radeon 295x2, only when I have shadows disabled. My game crashes frequently and graphics go haywire when I enable shadows lol.

Sooo... is this any indication that we will be getting a DX12 engine update??? :*

I have been reporting this issue since the drivers catalyst omega 14.12 came out.

Happened on my R9-290 and even the upgrade to the R9-290X (and my friend's R9-290), persisted through multiple upgrades and re-installs - Win7 through Win10, asus and gigabyte MB's, different cpus (amd Phemon II x6, FX-4100, FX-8350/70's), and whole new system builds. (older cards do not have this problem, HD6870, 6970, 7850; nor does my apu a10-8700p)

Choice: (low performance - looks great) Dx9/9ex allows Shadows VS (high performance - looks bland) DX11 withOUT any shadows.

Please, please, please fix this!!!

• mysteriasdrassamysteriasdrassa Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    null
    Lol.... so true :D
  • buzzmandtbuzzmandt Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    shlamy said:

I'm a Linux user so I'm in a real bind if the DX9 options go away completely. I've tried getting it to run with DX11 but it's utterly unplayable thus far and most report DX11 in WINE as not very functional regardless of the game. As it stands this will also kill off any Mac users as well, given they also rely on CW/WINE. DX9EX works perfectly!

Same here, linux/wine. Works fine setting wine to emulate win 8, but the whole dx9>11 gonna set me back. possibly permanently, though i certainly hope not. THIS is my favorite game AND it works on linux/wine. well, what to do now? Hope it works itself out.
    nvm
    (why isn't there a cancel button on the comment entry? geesh)
  • tinman#2208 tinman Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    expected downtime, 17th to 20th
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2016

kreatyve said:

Interesting. Now my husband is going to have to upgrade his dinosaur. He's been rather resistant for reasons that I don't understand.

My husband is much the same, he has several machines in the home a few running Vista my laptop is running Windows 10, but he says XP is better because it requires less memory. He is a computer tech for a living so he needs to be knowledgeable in many different systems. If your husbands PC (dinosaur) is like my husbands computer, he also told me it cannot run Windows 10 because its hardware is only 32 in size and need to be 64?

I don't get it either, just buying a new PC it comes with the current system. Not a big deal Windows XP is over 15 years old.
    No you don't. I'm on 32 bit running Windows 10. And, memory management is much better in Windows 10. Yes, it does need more memory, not a lot more though, but it runs stuff faster because of various performance optimizations.
    I was going to say the same thing when I first saw that comment.
    The main valid reason to stick to XP was because Business Software Companies avoid upgrading FOREVER.
    There are valid reasons to not want to go to Windows 10
    -privacy/forced content concerns (very important for business machines)
    -bugs (common issue I am afflicted by is 100% disk load regardless of the actual load)
    -Not knowing third party software is available to revert start button (I HATE both Windows 8 and 10 Start Options).

However saying that Windows XP is better because it only requires 128MB (I disagree with the 64 MB claim) of RAM for the OS is like saying Windows 95 is better because it only uses 40 MB of RAM for the OS. The OS may use less RAM but that does not make it better.

The average person has no valid reason to stick to XP over Windows 7. Windows 8 is actually the best OS Microsoft released (it's optimized Windows 7 with a horrible UI) as long as you spend 2 minutes downloading free software to kill the horrible UI.
    shlamy said:

Excluding those evil non Windows users, even on my wifes brand new Windows machine (i7,8GB,SSD,R370,Win7 DG rights from Win10) the DX11 option runs like garbage and crashes all the time but if set it to DX9 it runs perfectly all day long. So it's quite possible this will also eliminate users that are perfectly in-line with (or well above) the games current requirements.

The DX 11 stability is something that Nitocris specifically brought to the devs attention. Reverting to DX9 is probably the number one fix for game issues we give. We can't say anything other than the devs have been reminded this will effect players besides those running 10 year old computers.

nvm

Just delete the comment and change pages. Or just change pages. No cancell needed. :)
  • mrimsogoodmrimsogood Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    I'm curious to know what system specs you people are running that are having issues running DX10/11
    edited December 2016

nvm

Just delete the comment and change pages. Or just change pages. No cancell needed. :)
    Nope, afraid not - I've deleted the comment quite a few times, even tried to "save draft" of a blank comment. Every time I return to this topic, the comment is in the box and won't go away. :(

Response - Only on this one page. Just ignore it.
    Post edited by ambisinisterr on
  • wraithgorewraithgore Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    I am hearing a lot of issues pertaining to hardware here, but we are forgetting and not taking into consideration with all the issues stated of "graphics not working" could be a software driven issue. Event Viewer (while poor in many regards for explaining an issue) can help determine at times some problems, that are NOT and I stress not inherent to NWO/DirectX , but could be due to a service, software that is doing an update causing bandwidth hogging (IE Java update, Acrobat Reader, and numerous others that perform automatic updates by downloading Before ever asking to do so. HEY even Windows does this ;) )

This is not pushing users to DirectX9, 10 or even 12 or to windows 12 but instead its forced by MS in actuality for taking out LTS service of XP. Sure we can say it is great for it's memory usage is less, but really the cost of RAM Has dropped since XP's first days that 8 Gigs or more is almost expected on all Machines. All you need for Win 7, 8 or 10. And I've run 10 since Pre release and found it better memory management and fewer BSOD's than I have ever on Win7. But also we are coming into a WnTel environment as we had back in the 90's where Intel and Microsoft are partnering up. My Asus Laptop which I play on, can only run Windows 10. Sure I can run Linux/Wine system but why? It would be hair pulling to attempt to get working drivers for the hardware for Win7.

There are some points I've touched on to spur on new ideas that are being overlooked. Software or Services which are Software can be a users root cause for Neverwinter connectivity or graphics etc...issues. If with an Nvidia Graphics card, it is a known issue with NW current builds that it is best to turn off Streaming and other services Nvidia installs that are not needed, due to its memory usage and some conflicts it causes. Many of these features coming with the GeForce Experience.

Two things I end with,
    1) We wait and see the changes occurring in the coming months with new hardware and software to implement on our systems
    and report bugs whether if we test it on the Preview Server or other?

1a) Oh and if a Dev is reading this or Mod, please answer if possible: will we be able to help beta test before the March 1st live date on Preview or will a select few be chosen to test? On Mimic or Owlbear? Let me know I would love to see how well it could be bench-marked compared to what I currently have.

2) We take note that software and not hardware is the culprit all the time or even network connection issues. Honestly, it comes down to knowing what you have and you do some trial by error (fire) or having a Techie friend help you configure the settings to work with your system.

3) Oh and I nearly forgot, we haven't touched on Driver issues, we've mostly centered this whole topic around DirectX and how bad or good it is in differing ways. Well, maybe a driver is an issue such as the GeForce Nvidia Drivers cant' work properly on most systems when GeForce Experience sets optimal settings, completely locks up Neverwinter for me and has since I started in Open Beta. Yes I know the GeForce Experience is a Software Tweaking utility but it affects the driver by over shooting the "correct or optimum" settings. Someone mentioned an issue with DIrectX 11 on and AMD card, well, have you tried just tweaking the settings or are you going by someone else Pre-made settings built to Their systems specs? Which is the case many people do by imitating what someone found worked but, the person imitating has a variable, some software is different or hardware even and thus the settings break the game, or the graphics go kaput.

Love to hear comments on this. And hopefully an answer from Cryptic's team on Beta Testing groups.
  • korusenseikorusensei Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14 Arc User

Someone mentioned an issue with DIrectX 11 on and AMD card, well, have you tried just tweaking the settings or are you going by someone else Pre-made settings built to Their systems specs? Which is the case many people do by imitating what someone found worked but, the person imitating has a variable, some software is different or hardware even and thus the settings break the game, or the graphics go kaput.

I have tried so many variations through all of the settings and using Direct3D 9ex as well as all settings with 11. The best scenario that I was able to push out (with decent frame rates) while keeping decent graphics quality was to use Direct3D 11 with everything maxed except for disabling shadows. My game crashes when enabling shadows and the shadows to not appear correctly -- many times, it screws up my entire screen with artifacting and flashing, eventually leading to a crash.

I've reported this multiple times in the past, even when using other AMD cards and completely separate computers, with no advice or luck. Every time, they say "well, are you able to run the game in safe mode?", to which I reply in the affirmative, and then they treat my inquiry as if they fixed my problem. Saying, effectively but not in actuality, "As long as you can run the game at bare minimum in safe mode, that should be good enough for you" and I get no further response to the ticket.

Whatever you guys are doing with the engine, requiring this new update, I really and sincerely hope you find a fix to this issue. I would really like to enable shadows.
  • rickywade123rickywade123 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    where can I go to download the ne 3d direct 11 at been looking and not seeing where I can download it at\
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/179113 Here is the link you are seekng @rickywade123 - it's Microsoft official site so it should have all you need for information and what link to follow as you did not state what OS you are runnning. Hope this helps some.
    @korusensei I'm going to be blunt and it's a sad fact in the industry. The issue you mentioned of "No shadows working in normal mode but working in a safe mode environ" Is typical of many companies to say, "Well you got it works so be happy and enjoy." I have recently dealt with this attitude from such a major internet player as PayPal. But instead of it being "is it working" when I tried to transfer money to my account and couldn't, they actually stated.."Why on earth would you want to do that?" and that even came from a manager I was escalated to. I know it's not a game but same business model philosophy.

Also have you considered just to try a different driver by downgrading or doing roll-back say 2 or 3 revisions from when the issue arose. As I will state, there can be so many factors in anyone's system whether software or hardware or both related to why issues are occurring with the game or games. I would request a BelArc report of your comp to see what is running as services and what is installed that "may" cause a conflict. Though another question is, what Model Video Card and have you reported it to the developers, such as AMD or the 3rd party that may have enhanced the chipset of your card. And I have noticed with Nvidia at least (Not sure if this is true with AMD) but each setting such as shadows sometimes has a "allow program to set the settings" vs "use Global Settings" which typically Global settings spooge the system due to them being way out of the range of what is needed for the program in question. Maybe this last statement has been performed by you or maybe not. I do not know all the trouble shooting you have done.
    edited December 2016
    I too have been having the No Shadows issue. (ie: DX11 + Shadows == CRASH)

I have stated before that the problem has been here for years, I have tested every driver release and beta release during that time - no 'roll-back' will help me. Also, this issue has plagued myself and several friends with a variety of hardware and os levels, and while my issues has happened with Radeon video cards a number of NVidia uses reported this too.

I am a system trouble shooter, so I tested this by manually adjusting each setting in the game individually over many many hours of testing. The ONLY setting that causes the crash is Shadows (in DX11.)

I can use full setting, including Shadows, in DX9/9ex - but performance suffers greatly. A demon HE in Well of Dragons will drop to less than 5 fps. Even placing all setting to MIN (ugh, ugly...) only achieves 20fps. Where as DX11 can handle that same fight at 40-60 fps. However, without any Shadows the game looks dull and flat.

I want DX11 + Shadows!!!
    Post edited by hfleet on
    edited December 2016
    hfleet said:

I too have been having the No Shadows issue. (ie: DX11 + Shadows == CRASH)

I have stated before that the problem has been here for years, I have tested every driver release and beta release during that time - no 'roll-back' will help me. Also, this issue has plagued myself and several friends with a variety of hardware and os levels, and while my issues has happened with Radeon video cards a number of NVidia uses reported this too.

I am a system trouble shooter, so I tested this by manually adjusting each setting in the game individually over many many hours of testing. The ONLY setting that causes the crash is Shadows (in DX11.)

I can use full setting, including Shadows, in DX9/9ex - but performance suffers greatly. A demon HE in Well of Dragons will drop to less than 5 fps. Even placing all setting to MIN (ugh, ugly...) only achieves 20fps. Where as DX11 can handle that same fight at 40-60 fps. However, without any Shadows the game looks dull and flat.

I want DX11 + Shadows!!!

You've pretty much fleshed out my experience to a T concerning Direct3D 11 with/without Shadows enabled.
  • drakostar83drakostar83 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 18 Arc User
    Most of my guild members who use an AMD Card have problems with Directx11 and have crashes.
    With my Gforce1070 i have no problems with Dirctx 11
  • sulajplsulajpl Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    If I could ask for something,
    Since mod 9 or 10 there must have been some changes due to GPU usage.
    What am I going to say is that since that time i really often experience whole maps ain't spawning, fx ain't loading up to end (tapping B twice usually solves the problem).
    From time to time, the game crashes, showing communicate that the error occurred with something connected with the DX and the drivers. When I am going to the Tower of Alteration and then comming back to PE, it does always crash (seems to render too much).
    Anyway, I've made out that it is because GPU performs unfortunately bigger role in this game than the CPU (have some fun with the sliders and see, how much changes when sliding CPU slider, and how much when sliding the GPU one).
    Did GPU potential memory usage increase during these mods? And so, Do I have too low GPU memory (only 1GB, biggest bottleneck of my PC) as I presume? Thanks in advance for the answer...

EDIT: from patch notes - "A known crash in texture rendering has been partially alleviated, and remaining occurrences should provide more data for diagnosis."

Oh, did They repair it? Did I post too late? :s
    Post edited by sulajpl on
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    Okay all,

For now I can relay that the Dx11 Stability is a priority and the developers are currently actively gathering data and investigating why Dx11 does not work on some computers.

We'll relay more information as plans progress.

Okay all,

For now I can relay that the Dx11 Stability is a priority and the developers are currently actively gathering data and investigating why Dx11 does not work on some computers.

Thanks for the follow-through!

Okay all,

I am filled with Christmastime hope and cheer!
    (please be real, fixes would make the holidays special!)
  • jazzman#2455 jazzman Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    As a Mac user using WINE, I'm sure hoping the dx10 support files will be enough to run the game, or I'm going to be gone. I've tried it in parallels and it slows to a crawl.

Get us a true mac client
This discussion has been closed.