What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GWF as a Tank

2»

Comments

• Options
    carl103carl103 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    I would like to see personals that increase health, AC, and deflection that make GWF more tanky. Along with feats that boost those personals, making them stronger.

Just so you know. AC adds to damage reduction, which as has allready been noted is fairly easy to cap, what we need is more deflection and especially deflection severity on our GWF's. If GWf in sent spec could expect as fresh 70's to be getting around a 75% deflection severity on a 50% ish deflection chance with a restoring strike that (at rank 4) is healing them for 25% of their maximum health and bubbling them for three times that with a 15-20% flat increase in total health due to feats they'd be quite viable and if through gearing they could then push their health values upto around 200k total with a 10% deflection severity, they could tank.
    Paingiver is not an acurratte or Useful measure of your actual sustained damage output, (i.e DPS), in various ways it lies. For a true idea use ACT. Link below:

https://github.com/nilsbrummond/Neverwinter-ACT-Plugin
  • Options
    xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    In the early relese of neverwinter (Mod2 I think) I only ran a sentinel tank build. I loved it but now that path is totally unviable.

You can not pull agro off the healer or even a TR even with all the threat generation feats. Even if you did sentinel and instigator both doent gain unstopable fast enough to mitigat the damage you will be taking. Destro works because it gains unstopable from both taking dmage and giving it. Untill GWF is really looked into and thoughtfully/lovingly fixed/reworked destro is the only path.

It makes me sad to say that coming from a person who played sentinel from launch until elemental evil came out.

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP

• Options
    phoenixking123phoenixking123 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    As a top gwf in pve and pvp on PS4 I can say that a gwf can very much so tank. I have a sentinel-iv gwf tank build, at 3k gear score I can tank orcus to where he hits me for only 40-70k per hit and with my self healing, a healer, and foxes cunning I can easily tank orcus, I may not have the buffs for the team, but I can do just as much dmg as the 3rd dmg dealer. I may not be the most viable tank, but in a team I run often with I can run it daily
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

Sentinel is not a tank, it is a toilet paper.

If you wanna play a tank, roll The Guardian Fighter.

That is what I ended up doing, going with a Guardian Fighter instead of a GWF. She is now level 53 and my main is grinding for marks to get her all the 115 level 60 gear and I have gear ready for her that is level 70.
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    GWF is not immortal but not also and weak. you are saying you are weak but rarely see someone using slam debuff damage and slow enemies. daring shout unstopable battle fury mobility +buff.
  • Options
    triflentriflen Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    GWFS can tank.. I did so on my gwf in a sent build. The sent end cap gives you up to 80 percent damage reduction, The issue is this... If a gwf goes sent.. he is not tagged as a tank.. so when they take up a slot in an open group its only for dps.. and sorry sent build is horrible dps. The recent nerf to steel defense hurt us bad as hell though in tanking. I would use my gorgon mount to get that extra ap gain after using a daily... with steel defense activating a daily used to give us a total of 8 seconds of invul to all damage.. they nerfed it down to only 4... now (basically its the time it takes for any single one of our dailys animations... wee) But yea.. the agro is pretty good to on sent line if you look it up... I was able to tank without a healer things like epic demogorgon and any of the epics.. on cn i needed a healer.. for those moments when my forgehammer of gond was not up (nice 40 second cooldown on mythic-reduces inc damage by 50 percent for 4 seconds) throw in the steel defense for the invul.. and then do unstoppable... for that 80 percent reduction... yea was a HAMSTER tank. ONE HUGE Drawback.... the determination built up slowly... so if you did not have that steel defense to start combat you built it really slow and typically would die on initial engage.. Steadfast does not affect you in sent because you have no default way of building it in sent line unlike destroyer. cant multiply 0 lol. Did enjoy it though .. would be fun to go back to that build... and that was swordmaster btw not.. iron vanguard.
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    triflen said:

GWFS can tank.. I did so on my gwf in a sent build. The sent end cap gives you up to 80 percent damage reduction, The issue is this... If a gwf goes sent.. he is not tagged as a tank.. so when they take up a slot in an open group its only for dps.. and sorry sent build is horrible dps. The recent nerf to steel defense hurt us bad as hell though in tanking. I would use my gorgon mount to get that extra ap gain after using a daily... with steel defense activating a daily used to give us a total of 8 seconds of invul to all damage.. they nerfed it down to only 4... now (basically its the time it takes for any single one of our dailys animations... wee) But yea.. the agro is pretty good to on sent line if you look it up... I was able to tank without a healer things like epic demogorgon and any of the epics.. on cn i needed a healer.. for those moments when my forgehammer of gond was not up (nice 40 second cooldown on mythic-reduces inc damage by 50 percent for 4 seconds) throw in the steel defense for the invul.. and then do unstoppable... for that 80 percent reduction... yea was a HAMSTER tank. ONE HUGE Drawback.... the determination built up slowly... so if you did not have that steel defense to start combat you built it really slow and typically would die on initial engage.. Steadfast does not affect you in sent because you have no default way of building it in sent line unlike destroyer. cant multiply 0 lol. Did enjoy it though .. would be fun to go back to that build... and that was swordmaster btw not.. iron vanguard.

GF is clearly superior to GWF as a tank. I wish both were an option. I rather them change the name of GWF to Berserker and update the Paragon Sent tree to Blood Lust or something to make it more of a tank build.

I like my GF but really was enjoying my GWF way more and would have stuck it out as a GWF but everyone and their uncle on PS4 were a GWF or a SW for being a DPS. I am going to wait and see if they will improve GWF.

At this time I have so many back log games I want to play and will more than likely start jumping into those games.