test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Functionality of Gushing Wound?

loverideloveride Member Posts: 19 Arc User
I play on the xbox and recently heard that Longstrider Shot was going to get a bit of a increase to its buff ( I may be mistaken) But I was curious about gushing would. Do Biting roots proc as hits that stack with gushing would to allow it to proc its bleed hit faster? A power combo I've considered to use with it are hindering, Longstrider, contricting then in melee stance go with gushing, hindering, steel breeze.

MY thought process behind it is longstrinder buff to add damage to roots in constricting, and gushings gets its damaged pushed faster with hindering (if the damage from roots proc the bleed ticks.

Comments

• Options
    Side note: This is for the pve aspect. I'm having difficulty gauging how gushing wound works. does the bleed last 20 seconds, but proc more frequently when alternative damage is delt? The power reads when allies strike it causes the bleed to advance, ticking immediately. Would that shorten the 20 second timer on the skill? or does the bleed damage just proc more? With testing by myself on stronghold dummies the time seems to stay at 20 seconds either way but I can't gauge what damage is what very well.
  • Options
    mayday#2798 mayday Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    It tics once per second (not 100 sure, but seems like so) if no one hits the target, the number of tics is fixed. So when someone hits the target, a tic will proc and the duration will be decreased. If many ppl attack the target, gushing will realise it's tics almost immediately.
    Before mod 10 roots were procing tics, and thorn ward too, but I am not sure if situation is the same post M10.
    Also, if you apply a gushing when the previous one is still there, they will stack, unlike aimed strike that will refresh.
  • Options
    durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    it ticks on DoT from roots as far as i know.

Also i'd suggest slotting cordon instead of hindering. you have constricting already to proc strong grasping roots, and do one rotation it will be on cooldown to keep up the DoT from roots, so slotting in cordon/plant growth would do wonders with your dps. But hey im on pc not on xbox, so i know nothing and it's all up to you.
  • Options

It tics once per second (not 100 sure, but seems like so) if no one hits the target, the number of tics is fixed. So when someone hits the target, a tic will proc and the duration will be decreased. If many ppl attack the target, gushing will realise it's tics almost immediately.

Before mod 10 roots were procing tics, and thorn ward too, but I am not sure if situation is the same post M10.

Also, if you apply a gushing when the previous one is still there, they will stack, unlike aimed strike that will refresh.

From what I'm seeing roots are not procing the tic. and if it is, the time still remains 20 seconds. I may be mistaken though

Also i'd suggest slotting cordon instead of hindering. you have constricting already to proc strong grasping roots, and do one rotation it will be on cooldown to keep up the DoT from roots, so slotting in cordon/plant growth would do wonders with your dps. But hey im on pc not on xbox, so i know nothing and it's all up to you.

I dont believe the general mechanics between PC and Console would be different, the only difference as of right now is you guys have mod 10 and were have until mid October for it. and I'm trying to get a more in depth explanation on how this effects the hunter ranger. So I can start preparing myself for class changes. Major ones I've noticed is people switching towards an archery paragon, and swapping out their dreads for vorpals. If thats a common thing it'd seem financially smart to get a swap from a trans dread for a trans vorpal while their the same value on the AH, cause if everyone jumps to Archery and they need Vorpals the vorpal price is gonna rise and dread's are gonna drop dramatically. I'm trying to find out what i need and work toward

I was under the impression that it was a smart move to have an encounter that procs strong roots from a melee stance (Hindering) and range (Constricting) I know that the Ancient roots feat says that Strong roots would gain an additional 5 seconds on them, but I'm not aware of what the original time is haha.
  • Options
    no only those who didnt like playing with 2 stances swapped over to archery. they just made it more viable, but dps wise, i have yet to see an archery do as much as a trapper, a combat i have seen, but archery sadly none yet.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    if you apply a strong grasping root, and reapply it, it will just refresh the duration. but then if the 1st application was a crit, the latter was not, then your refreshed damage would come from the non crit one instead of the crit one, making you lose dps in the long run.
    Post edited by durugudesu on
  • Options
    @loveride, before mod 10 i was able to proc gushing myself, that was great for soloing cause each proc of gushing would proc swiftness of the fox. Now I do not notice any of these effects, neither procing gushing myself, nor proves of swiftness from gushing dot tics.
  • Options
    wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User

No offence but please stop trying to get everyone to equip the same power. CoA/PG is very good and a very high damage dealer, but you can get huge DPS without ever touching it.
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options

if you apply a strong grasping root, and reapply it, it will just refresh the duration. but then if the 1st application was a crit, the latter was not, then your refreshed damage would come from the non crit one instead of the crit one, making you lose dps in the long run.

Urgh... a non-Crit does not necessarily make you lose DPS either! Some people equip an Owlbear Active (like myself) so 100% Crits is actually not good.
    loveride said:

From what I'm seeing roots are not procing the tic. and if it is, the time still remains 20 seconds. I may be mistaken though

I dont believe the general mechanics between PC and Console would be different, the only difference as of right now is you guys have mod 10 and were have until mid October for it. and I'm trying to get a more in depth explanation on how this effects the hunter ranger. So I can start preparing myself for class changes. Major ones I've noticed is people switching towards an archery paragon, and swapping out their dreads for vorpals. If thats a common thing it'd seem financially smart to get a swap from a trans dread for a trans vorpal while their the same value on the AH, cause if everyone jumps to Archery and they need Vorpals the vorpal price is gonna rise and dread's are gonna drop dramatically. I'm trying to find out what i need and work toward

I was under the impression that it was a smart move to have an encounter that procs strong roots from a melee stance (Hindering) and range (Constricting) I know that the Ancient roots feat says that Strong roots would gain an additional 5 seconds on them, but I'm not aware of what the original time is haha.
    I wouldn't listen too much to other people and just play around with things yourself really. It is worth slotting Hindering and Constricting at the same time. If you equip Aspect of the Serpent then you get massive damage boosts when rotating correctly. They are fantastic together... anyhoo they have a limit of 5 enemies hit at any one time so you can hit 5 with Constricting and a different 5 with Hindering for instance.

Also Hindering Strike applies Thorned Roots (when taking the Boon), Strike is a Melee attack that actually applies Ranged Weapon damage to the root part. So if you have 2 stacks of RANGED AtoS it will actually make the roots from Hindering Strike much stronger. If you want Hindering to hit harder but less root damage then use it with 2 stacks of MELEE AotS :)
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    wdj40 said:

Urgh... a non-Crit does not necessarily make you lose DPS either! Some people equip an Owlbear Active (like myself) so 100% Crits is actually not good.
    loveride said:

I wouldn't listen too much to other people and just play around with things yourself really. It is worth slotting Hindering and Constricting at the same time. If you equip Aspect of the Serpent then you get massive damage boosts when rotating correctly. They are fantastic together... anyhoo they have a limit of 5 enemies hit at any one time so you can hit 5 with Constricting and a different 5 with Hindering for instance.

Also Hindering Strike applies Thorned Roots (when taking the Boon), Strike is a Melee attack that actually applies Ranged Weapon damage to the root part. So if you have 2 stacks of RANGED AtoS it will actually make the roots from Hindering Strike much stronger. If you want Hindering to hit harder but less root damage then use it with 2 stacks of MELEE AotS :)
    Actually, @durugudesu is 100% right. The tics from PG are much more strong then from thorned roots, and as traper we can keep both, roots and PG at 100% up-time during trash cleaning. The only reason to have both, Hindering and Constricting is when you need masive CC with crushing roots sloted (no TR or CW in party). Double roots is also nice on some boss fights cause of huge damage from the insta-tic.
    About owlbear cub - it is a rare and expensive pet so it is not an option for everyone.

Back on Gushing> i may be wrong about roots procing it, as i was running, from time to time, with a flame sprite instead of my augment. But pre Mod10 it is easy to test: just dissmiss your companion, strike a dummy with gushing, then land a constricting. if you notice CD reductions from Swiftness procing, then roots actually proc gushing.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

wdj40 said:

loveride said:

Actually, @durugudesu is 100% right. The tics from PG are much more strong then from thorned roots, and as traper we can keep both, roots and PG at 100% up-time during trash cleaning. The only reason to have both, Hindering and Constricting is when you need masive CC with crushing roots sloted (no TR or CW in party). Double roots is also nice on some boss fights cause of huge damage from the insta-tic.
    About owlbear cub - it is a rare and expensive pet so it is not an option for everyone.

Back on Gushing> i may be wrong about roots procing it, as i was running, from time to time, with a flame sprite instead of my augment. But pre Mod10 it is easy to test: just dissmiss your companion, strike a dummy with gushing, then land a constricting. if you notice CD reductions from Swiftness procing, then roots actually proc gushing.
    What I was trying to say is everyone is different :) This is why I love the HR class as many people can make many different things work for it.

You don't have to be pigeon holed into using CoA/PG... you can do decent DPS and be a great asset to the team without it.

Me personally its Longstrider>Constricting>Hindering with Disrupting and Slashers Mark, Hunters Teamwork/CA and Rapid Shot/Strike. I have 0 problems with any of the content and can carry teams through CN etc... not even BiS only 3.5k IL.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    Actually plant growth is a noob trap for combat build for example. Im doing 2x more damage using throw caution instead of it
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Owlbear cup is another thing that i would not use at all. Assuming you have 40k power and a non crit hit hits alone for 30k, we are talking about 50k damages with owlbear.
    Now if you instead aim for a critical hit that becomes 30k x (1+ 0.75 + 0.5) = 67k considering just a vorpal and without even taking in count how buffs and debuffs really work ( im considering now the base hit buffed and not the value after the actual crit). Owlbear cub is just collection material
  • Options
    rayrdan said:

Owlbear cup is another thing that i would not use at all. Assuming you have 40k power and a non crit hit hits alone for 30k, we are talking about 50k damages with owlbear.

Now if you instead aim for a critical hit that becomes 30k x (1+ 0.75 + 0.5) = 67k considering just a vorpal and without even taking in count how buffs and debuffs really work ( im considering now the base hit buffed and not the value after the actual crit). Owlbear cub is just collection material

As I have mentioned here and there it is all about balance. I aim for enough Crit so my heaviest hitting attacks (with DoT's and Roots etc) Crit nearly every time.

Then the weaker powers like Steel Breeze, Hindering Shot, Longstriders (at close range) etc have a chance to not Crit... proccing the Owl Bear.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options

no only those who didnt like playing with 2 stances swapped over to archery. they just made it more viable, but dps wise, i have yet to see an archery do as much as a trapper, a combat i have seen, but archery sadly none yet.

I see, and I can understand that mentality. I think I'll stick with DPSing with my trapper cause I throughly enjoy the Stance swapping.

Regarding Thonred roots and Crits on your other post, The same mentality could be made for starting with non-crit inital then refreshing with a crit on the second duration. So I see were your coming from It doesn't seem like that important of a feature. and right now I'm pushing about 78% crit chance with bondings, crit, etc. so lose the occasional thorned isn't a big loss when you have a consistent rotation swapping between both stances procing thorned regularly.

wdj40 said:

loveride said:

I did notice the CD going, but the timer for gushing didn't seem to drop, which is where my confusion came from. I personally dont run Crushing. I run AoTS and Twinblade storm (or blade storm if I feel like playing with the broken mechanic until Mod 10) so for a better damage output. Would swapping hindering for CoA/PG be a more valid damage output? Cause the end goal is to just have big numbers on that scoreboard lmao.

Side Question, Does Swiftness effect the cooldown times on encounters with multi uses? It doesnt seem like Cordon doesnt seem to be getting the almost instant cooldowns I'm seeing with this rotation:Range: Constricting, Longstrider, Cordon -> Melee: Steel Breeze, Gushing, PG. When I swap back to melee the encounters seem to be dropped from 16 seconds to about 1 or 2 seconds thanks most to the gushing ticks and PG. but the timer for Cordon doesn't seem to be dropping or being reduced even when its at 0.
  • Options
    wdj40 said:

wdj40 said:

loveride said:

What I was trying to say is everyone is different :) This is why I love the HR class as many people can make many different things work for it.

You don't have to be pigeon holed into using CoA/PG... you can do decent DPS and be a great asset to the team without it.

Me personally its Longstrider>Constricting>Hindering with Disrupting and Slashers Mark, Hunters Teamwork/CA and Rapid Shot/Strike. I have 0 problems with any of the content and can carry teams through CN etc... not even BiS only 3.5k IL.
    wdj40 said:

wdj40 said:

loveride said:

you.

ha.

I was playing with a similar encounter layout but I felt like I wasn't getting a good rotation, is there a certain rotation you use for them?
    rayrdan said:

Actually plant growth is a noob trap for combat build for example. Im doing 2x more damage using throw caution instead of it

I never have heard much about Throw Caution and Split the sky. I have a feeling thats due to the lack of rooting for a trapper build. I can see it being effective with Aimed shot and using the throw caution on a ARchery build but not so much for a trapper mainly cause that lack of rooting. if you have a way to impliment it into a trapper build I'd love to hear it. I personally dont have any skills invested into it but i'd love to hear how its used. The Damage buff from the throw caution catches my eye, but the lack of roots turns me away from it.
  • Options
    actually, non critting is good for HR with an owlbear cub, asumming he uses gushing wound, as the damage(50% from power) is applied on all ticks of gushing wound, for plant growth, crit and non crit(+owlbear damage) proved to be more or less the same for me.

also using constricting hindering longstrider, you are bound to lose rotation when hindering runs out of charges.

cordon is unaffected because it is made of charges like hindering.(plant growth IS AFFECTED by the reduction and it is what you spam to gain massive dps, along with gushing wound).

I dont know why you would apply an non crit strong grasping roots, then apply a crit one after. that is like you want to use a constricting when your serpents stacks are at maximum at melee, and then melee of hindering while getting back serpent to full stack.(you just wasted the extra damage you could have gained from the range stacks of serpent from your start of fight instead of attacking with full stacks of range and full melee from first rotation).

cordon vs hindering in my eyes are a shotgun with unlimited ammo, against one that sometimes gets jammed.

also BIS on offense slots, you can get with 3.5k. only gwfs get more power from defense slots. you can perform as good as a 4k as long as you both have all 12 on your offense slots.

• Options

actually, non critting is good for HR with an owlbear cub, asumming he uses gushing wound, as the damage(50% from power) is applied on all ticks of gushing wound, for plant growth, crit and non crit(+owlbear damage) proved to be more or less the same for me.

also using constricting hindering longstrider, you are bound to lose rotation when hindering runs out of charges.

cordon is unaffected because it is made of charges like hindering.(plant growth IS AFFECTED by the reduction and it is what you spam to gain massive dps, along with gushing wound).

I dont know why you would apply an non crit strong grasping roots, then apply a crit one after. that is like you want to use a constricting when your serpents stacks are at maximum at melee, and then melee of hindering while getting back serpent to full stack.(you just wasted the extra damage you could have gained from the range stacks of serpent from your start of fight instead of attacking with full stacks of range and full melee from first rotation).

cordon vs hindering in my eyes are a shotgun with unlimited ammo, against one that sometimes gets jammed.

also BIS on offense slots, you can get with 3.5k. only gwfs get more power from defense slots. you can perform as good as a 4k as long as you both have all 12 on your offense slots.

I have a bit of confusion as to how you can force a critical. I'm not saying to intenionally proc a non-crit. But just the RNG or procing a crit or not. IF there is a way to manipulate hitting crits I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

Hindering and CoA Both have 3 charges from a range stance, but both can max out and have the "Unlimited shotgun" aspect in melee. the only difference between the 2 being hindering is Strong Grasping and apparently PG is a seperate type of root in its own category. The advantage of hindering is an easier release of the range encounter (just aim at something and when you use encounter it goes) compared to Cordon (gotta hit encounter twice plus free aim).

I play primarily group based things. I dont really do solo work, so does plant growth get a disadvantage if another players deals damage or is that 500% weapon damage from me personally before roots break.

• Options
    with more stacks of serpent, you get bonus damage and bonus crit chance.

like i said, it is up to you to choose whichever encounter you feel like using.

the roots from plantgrowth is useless. most of the times it wont even last a couple of seconds lol.

• Options

the roots from plantgrowth is useless. most of the times it wont even last a couple of seconds lol.

Thats where I've trying to figure out where the damage from plant growth comes from. I was under the impression it was the roots damage. when I use it on dummies it doesn't give any inital damge, just the output from what I believe are the roots.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

By the way I am still on Mod 9 on the X1... But a Non-Crit Gushing Wound does not apply Owlbear on every tick... It does however apply a double Owlbear on the very 1st tick of Gushing Wound. I was testing this last night funnily enough :)

Has this changed for Mod 10? Can someone confirm that on the PC?

Also lol I have the exact opposite problem you have... my Hindering Shot charges pretty much never run out... but my CoA charges always run out and mess rotations up :)
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    loveride said:

Thats where I've trying to figure out where the damage from plant growth comes from. I was under the impression it was the roots damage. when I use it on dummies it doesn't give any inital damge, just the output from what I believe are the roots.
    Plant Growth is its own separate attack and nothing to do with any of our Root mechanics, one of the reasons I don't like it much... it is also classed as a Spell.

Anyhoo with regards to forcing Crits... you can kind of force non-crits to occur.

Aim for Crit chance of around 80-85% after all procs have happened (don't worry about things like Baphomet's Might Boon or Gale of Retribution Boon etc as they just happen every now and then).

Then equip Aspect of the Serpent. When you have 2 stacks of Melee or Ranged AotS this gives you a bump in Crit chance for the 1st 2 Melee or Ranged Encounters/Dailies. For me this would be the heaviest hitting attacks in my line-up. Then when all stacks of AotS are used up in your rotation you will be left attacking with your non-buffed attacks.

At 80-85% there is a chance for my non-heavy attacks to hit and not Crit. When flying solo with my Companion my Power goes up to 52k in Combat... so 50% of this on a Non-Crit is pretty big, so this power would be higher when in a group buffed by other people :)
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    rayrdan said:

Ok here are a few numbers :) I did all these with 0 stacks of Aspect of the Serpent, I waited 20 seconds before using each Encounter and never chained any of them, Companion also put away.

Steel Breeze 2696, Infantile Compensation 15042
    Steel Breeze 2814, Infantile Compensation 15042
    Steel Breeze 2675, Infantile Compensation 15042

Crit Steel Breeze 7769
    Crit Steel Breeze 7491
    Crit Steel Breeze 6864

Hindering Shot 7572, Infantile Compensation 15042
    Hindering Shot 6201, Infantile Compensation 15042
    Hindering Shot 6157, Infantile Compensation 15042

Crit Hindering Shot 16087
    Crit Hindering Shot 17167
    Crit Hindering Shot 15848

Longstrider 6223, Infantile Compensation 15042
    Longstrider 5982, Infantile Compensation 15042

Longstrider Crit 16683
    Longstrider Crit 15542

So these are just a few instances, as I mentioned the Owlbear can have a nice influence on damage numbers for non-crit Encounters that do not have any Aspect of the Serpent stacks applied to them. In essence my build hits just as hard for non-crit attacks as I do with my Crits :)

Edit... in combat my power would fluctuate and go up by around 20k... so Infantile Compensation would be larger etc. Oh and I had a Trans Dread Enchant equipped, not sure how that effects things.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    tzugur#2008 tzugur Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    null
    Are you running with skirmisher's gambit? By running with it you would proc the companion hit more often while also making your crits havier right? Would look like a win-win to me.
    Ps4 rookie looking for knowledge
    Ps4
    3156 hr
  • Options

null

Are you running with skirmisher's gambit? By running with it you would proc the companion hit more often while also making your crits havier right? Would look like a win-win to me.

Ps4 rookie looking for knowledge

No I personally don't run with Gambit, I have tried it a couple of times but felt I lost too much from the Trapper Tree at the time.

I will be respeccing numerous times soon when the changes hit :)
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    tzugur#2008 tzugur Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I tried both with and without a couple times and I feel like the full trapper delivers better dps but than again I am on ps4 and we don't have that pet, I hope we'll get it soon to try it out, let us know how things are gonna turn out for you after mod10 hits!
    Ps4
    3156 hr
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    rayrdan said:

PG is an excellent opener though. Most mob packs don't make it past that and a couple of swipes from CtG. Also, using StS while in combat eats up valuable seconds and dps (dat animation...).
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    mystoclesmystocles Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    throw caution + thorn strike + PG on my combat build I parsed at highest dps combo for aoe... am I doing it wrong?
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I'm using Thorned Strike, Gushing Wound and Plant Growth. Still not sold on GW, though, and the fact that I only really get to use Longstrider's Shot at the start of a fight. Mayhap I should try Throw Caution. @rayrdan and @mystocles: are either of you using Warden's Courage feat, and if so what did you pass on to get that? The only real option for me is Fleet Stance but that movement speed boost is precious.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.