Many words are missing until you expand the chat win

Expected Result:
Being able to read what people are typing in the chat wind
Tagged:

Comments

• diorieldioriel Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    I love you.

and yes, the bug is annoying.
    Leader of Conviction: find me in game if you're looking for a friendly guild!

Looking for reviews (will trade)!
    Arachnophobia
    Code: NW-DMRQYIZQT
    For all the spider-haters out there :p
  • sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User
    1000000++++ Excellent Bug report.

@strumslinger - Can this be mentioned? The Chat wrap bug is back (since last patch).
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    A+ bug report. Seems to have been hotfixed.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User
    Uhhh, nope, still an issue for a heap of us.
    I was coming to post that it is currently not fixed for me either. It briefly looked fine, but not now.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User
    The word wrap in the chat window is broken. The words are cut off way too early on the right side of the window. This bug was reported in 09/2015 already and a guild mate mentioned that it was fixed already, but apparently, it's back.
  • jarecord03jarecord03 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    Cryptic doesn't care.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    yep, again, saw the chat box "cut-offs"
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    Related - The chat window's Z order is sometimes behind the control that displays AP and the powers. Can be fixed by clicking on the chat window. I suggest that the chat window's Z order should always be on top. If the player makes it large enough to overlap other controls, they likely don't want it to be covered by those controls.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    Still a major issue for me.

Seems to be worse if you have any text scaling enabled (and I always do, the default size is too small on any modern monitor in my opinion).
  • roll0verroll0ver Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 25 Arc User
    "The chat window has seen a lot of botting activity, we are trying to figure out how best to remove it from the game." -- Cryptic Irony Central
    roll0ver said:

"The chat window has seen a lot of botting activity, we are trying to figure out how best to remove it from the game." -- Cryptic Irony Central

Amazing.

"With the resources freed up by disabling all in-game communication, we look forward to directing more resources to design creative new ways for you to spend hours in game grinding under the guise of 'Telling Stories.'"

Back to the OP though: this is a SERIOUS QoL issue that injects frustration into almost all community aspects of the game. It's difficult to keep up an engaging conversation. It's alloying to participate in guild or alliance chat. Community is the most important aspect of this game for many people, and this chat bug is seriously hurting the game's appeal in that regard.

This is not a new problem. We've had this bug before, you've fixed it before. Do you do regression testing? Look through your old commits, there's no way that this is a very complicated fix. Do you just think that this is not a high priority issue? Please, can we get some acknowledgement or update?

@beckylunatic do you know which Dev might be best to ping here?
    When in doubt, @terramak and @panderus are both currently involved in general coordination of bugfixing (judging by recent activity)

Neverwinter Census 2017

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2016
    I've already passed this along to the Devs a few days ago. If one feels something needs priority attention, it's best to "ping" a moderator, as we're watching the forums way more than the Devs are able to.
  • strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    We're aware!

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

edited September 2016
    zebular said:

I've already passed this along to the Devs a few days ago. If one feels something needs priority attention, it's best to "ping" a moderator, as we're watching the forums way more than the Devs are able to.

Thanks Zeb.

I think part of the challenge is that we want to close the loop (have some sort of acknowledgement). And the challenge is that if it's acknowledge by you, it's not the same as acknowledged by a dev. I know that the moderation team works hard, but the mods being volunteers reduces the impact of your acknowledgement. Especially since we've seen many mods ask for many things from the devs, and be ignored for years. This issue is big enough that it deserves a response "straight from the HAMSTER's mouth".

For this particular issue, @panderus actually commented on the "is anything happening before mod11" thread, but I doubt anyone looking here would know that. See:
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/comment/12885583

This has been happening more and more. Zeb, perhaps as a mod you could do something to pass the message up the chain? Can we ask that the devs make a concerted effort to comment in relevant places? I guess you could also help fill in the gap by pointing people to the dev comments on another thread, as I've see you do. That seems like a bandaid, rather than addressing the root cause though.

Edit: All the above aside, I think it would have been beneficial for you to make a note that you passed a comment up the chain when you did. So much frustration can be avoided through more consistent and transparent communication. I don't think people are angry that there are bugs nearly as much as they are angry that the most common response to bug reports is silence. A simple "Roger, we're looking into it" carries with it so much more good will than the devs seem to realize.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2016
    dupeks said:

Edit: All the above aside, I think it would have been beneficial for you to make a note that you passed a comment up the chain when you did. So much frustration can be avoided through more consistent and transparent communication. I don't think people are angry that there are bugs nearly as much as they are angry that the most common response to bug reports is silence. A simple "Roger, we're looking into it" carries with it so much more good will than the devs seem to realize.

I'm sorry you feel slighted but do let me explain a bit and please don't take this the wrong way.

If you look at our post history, you'd see that we do. However, we only do so when we've gotten acknowledgement back that they got our report. I was awaiting such an acknowledgement and when I nudged Andy just now for that acknowledgement, he took it upon himself to make time to reply personally.

edited September 2016
    zebular said:

dupeks said:

I'm sorry you feel slighted but do let me explain a bit and please don't take this the wrong way.

If you look at our post history, you'd see that we do. However, we only do so when we've gotten acknowledgement back that they got our report. I was awaiting such an acknowledgement and when I nudged Andy just now for that acknowledgement, he took it upon himself to make time to reply personally.

I wanted to clarify that I don't feel slighted. I feel frustrated by what I perceive to be a consistent lack of clear communication from the development and community management team.

If you look at my post history, you'll probably see this is a topic that emerges pretty often in my posts. I truly want to encourage everyone involved to just communicate more: more quickly, more often, more openly about challenges and expectations. Part of this is likely because my career colors my preferences (I'm a consultant, and my job essentially boils down to facilitating communication of various sorts), but I also truly believe that the community and the game as a whole would benefit from a more consistent and open dialog between the developers and the player base.

All that said again, I want to make sure that I didn't give the impression that I don't respect all of the hard work you and the other moderators do. I know that keeping these forums afloat and free of hate is not a simple task, and the amount of time and effort you volunteer to help support the community is impressive and conveys your love for this game. I think that the community you appear to love could be bettered through more clear communication from the devs and community manager, and you might be in a place to help support that goal.

Edit: both your and Andy's comments are much appreciated. More of this please, and sooner too if possible <3
  • panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    We will look into this issue. It is definitely annoying.
  • luxanabdluxanabd Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    please fix this last night seamed to be worse than other nights
  • bareftmonkeybareftmonkey Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 20 Arc User
    This is the best bug report eve
    panderus said:

We will look into this issue. It is definitely annoying.

Any updates on this? I'm hoping that it would be an easy fix and could make it into the next build?

<3 for your attention @panderus as always