test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PS4] Changes to Combat Gold Spammers

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
edited May 2017 in News & Announcements
Well met, adventurers,

We’re aware of the frustration that spammers in Protector’s Enclave are causing, which is highly intrusive during gameplay. Due to this, we implemented some changes to Neverwinter on PlayStation®4 that will make it more difficult for spammers to function and harass legitimate players. While we can’t share the specifics of these changes, all characters will be subject to the following restrictions until you have progressed a certain amount in the main quests:

- No ability to use the AD Exchange
- No ability to perform in-person trades
- No ability to mail items or receive items from other players via mail
- No ability to use zone chat
- No ability to use “Say” in static zones
- Limited use of the auction house to values between 1 and 1000 AD.

We’d like to note that these barriers of entry are quite low, meaning you’ll only need to play for a few hours before being able to perform the functions stated above. This is to ensure legitimate players are affected as little as possible with these changes.

We’re also currently in the process of evaluating the rules we set - whether by tweaking, adding, or removing - in order to provide a smoother experience for new players while blocking gold spammers. We’ll monitor the results of these new changes in the coming days to judge whether they need adjusting.

Characters that were created before 8/25 at 8AM PT will not be affected by these rules in order to avoid any confusion.

Lastly, if you see these spammers in-game at any time, do NOT contact or purchase from them. Doing so puts your account security at risk in addition to other players. Astral Diamonds sold by these sites are often acquired by compromising another player’s account, or even yours! These sites are not condoned by any member of the Cryptic Studios and Perfect World Entertainment team.

We thank you for continuing to support Neverwinter and wish for your future adventures to stray clear from any evil magic.

- The Neverwinter team

Moderator Update:

To unlock trading, auction house, and other social functions, one must have completed any five of the following quest chains on any one character on the account. Once unlocked on any one character, all characters will be unrestricted.

Chain: Return of the Crown
Quests to complete:
The Trail of the Crown
Cornering Karzov

Chain: The Tower District
Quests to complete:
Returning the Pain
Fists of the Warband
Into the Cloak Tower

Chain: The Plague Tower
Quests to complete:
Troubled Times
The Plague Tower

Chain: Blackdagger Ruins
Quests to complete:
The Sea Caves
Bloodying the Bandits
Grimstorm Keep

Chain: Neverdeath
Quests to complete:
Dragon Attack
Opening the Way
The Clockwork Tomb

Chain: Helm's Hold
Quests to complete:
The Underscar
The Being from Beyond
The Sanatorium

As soon as Module 10 hits the PS4 in October, one will be able to see much more easier in game these required quests as they will all be displayed in the new Campaign Layout screens and menus.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Post edited by zebular on

Comments

• firosafirosa Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    just fyi, these measures don't work rmt don't care about level gates they just bot or have 24 hr players to jump the level gates.

a better fix is an easier report/block function.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    firosa said:

just fyi, these measures don't work rmt don't care about level gates they just bot or have 24 hr players to jump the level gates.

a better fix is an easier report/block function.

Which doesn't work either because even as spammers get banned, this is a free to play game--it costs nothing to create a new account.

FWIW, there's no such thing as a 100% effective measure. These are deterrents, nothing more. You aren't going to completely wipe them out but you can make it difficult on them to flourish.

ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User

FWIW, there's no such thing as a 100% effective measure. These are deterrents, nothing more. You aren't going to completely wipe them out but you can make it difficult on them to flourish.

Unlike PC, there is a 100% effective measure for consoles. You get MS or Sony to brick the console. Any console banned for RMT cannot reconnect to Neverwinter. New consoles are not cheap for the RMT sites. Unfortunately, this would likely require more effort than Cryptic has demonstrated they are willing to put forth.
  • ragunanoone#0985 ragunanoone Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    zephyriah said:

Unlike PC, there is a 100% effective measure for consoles. You get MS or Sony to brick the console. Any console banned for RMT cannot reconnect to Neverwinter. New consoles are not cheap for the RMT sites. Unfortunately, this would likely require more effort than Cryptic has demonstrated they are willing to put forth.
    Umm Sony is not the best at handling this In an ESO Community (or the forums one of the two) someone said they reported a gold seller for PSN messaging and they threatened action against him or her if they did it again because it didn't fit there definition of spam!

On topic I am glad you guys are working on this I report at least 2 a day when I play but I doupt this will stop them as very few people go to the forums and last time I checked the report from chat log function was not mentioned or in the instruction manual.
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited August 2016
    firosa said:

+1, just see the swarms of identical TRs in certain zones.

@strumslinger

It is not very hard to identify accounts sending spam messages or mails with machine learning algorithms. That's no longer "scary PhD stuff". It's easy for an average programmer to implement in a short amount of time. Google's open source TensorFlow is a perfect tool.

You can run messages through a machine learning filter far faster than even the best bot farm can make them and get a toon to PE. Given the nature of messages commonly seen, your accuracy would easily exceed 99% for a given message. Require say 5 spam messages to trigger an auto account ban, and the chance of a false positive is 0.001%. Combined with other indicators of a real player, the actual false positive rate can be far lower.

A similar machine learning algorithm can spot large, fishy transactions on the AH and flag them for manual review (not a good idea to auto-ban based on that in a first iteration).

PM me if you want to have a serious discussion. I use machine learning classifiers regularly in my job.

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • jiggie123#6397 jiggie123 Member Posts: 1 New User
    This is all ribbish ad go's missing when u submit a ticket you dont get a reply ive put in 2 had no reply
  • banzaikittenbanzaikitten Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 220 Arc User
    why not making a chatfilter based on reg expression, if happens more as 1 time in repeating content, BAN,DELETE,TRASH,TERMINATE,EXTERMINATE expel from life ^^
  • icarlcicarlc Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Back when I played Medal of Honor: Allied Assault I found this security program that allowed you to dump a file into the offenders game system that would not allow them to post anything, but would spam a warning about them using hacks, maybe someone would figure out how to do that for this game...
  • daimon15#2536 daimon15 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Thanks for the fixes and good news.
    Edit: I Also have to say, it is one of the reason i started play in console these games, to avoid this kind of thing (Spam, Hack, RTM, etc.).
  • tempos#4626 tempos Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Glad to see additional measures being taken. Hopefully, I can re-enable Say and Zone chat .
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    These measures won't work
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • canthrocanthro Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I'm not a programmer, but it seems to me that you should be able to add a cookie or maybe a line in the registry of a computer when you ban it for gold/ad sales, so if they try to set up a new account, your system can check and see if the user has been banned before and if they have do not allow the new account to be created.
  • lannarchy#2871 lannarchy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    So your new rules, they were applied to me three days after I began playing. As a level 53 with the vip pack running I was suddenly cut off from everything! I was totally alone standing in a crowd, to high of a level to have the new required quests show up for me and unable to ask for help. Since the event this month pays excellent XP I blew right past all of the zones they were in so I never had a clue. The event is the THIRD quest in PE that brand new players are introduced to btw. I'm sure there are a lot more people still trying to figure out what to do but SINCE YOU CANT CHAT TO ASK FOR HELP and the tool tip lists 2 actual quest names and three zone names all you can do is stab around in the dark until you figure it out. The only way I managed to get it done was by starting a new character and tight rope walking quests until I found one I thought might be it. Which finally took the shackles off my main. What makes it even sweeter is that when you do complete everything it does not tell you that you've met the reqs... Just have to try chat and hope.

Your new system is simply terrible in thought and implementation. I googled everything I could think of and found nothing. I checked forums and Reddits, I have experienced friends who have been on since the PS4 conversion, none had a clue wtf was going on. I filed two tickets, only one got an answer and it came two days later. What really makes me salty is I bought in right off the bat. I saw that event that is running and thought it was the most genuinely fun event I'd ever seen in an mmo. If someone has paid in they SHOULD NOT BE SUBJECTED TO THESE LIMITS. I feel like these limitations have nothing to do with the gold farmer problem and everything to do with pressuring new players to buy in and purchase bag space because that is EXACTLY what is happening. You got your player base established, now you're squeezing the people they are bringing in. You're forcing the brand new players to sell everything for silver for the first several hours (possibly days) of game play. So that sweet piece of low level gear can't earn you even a tiny amount of AD when someone goes to deck out their new Alt. Likewise it's going to slowly eliminate that entire level pool of gear existing in the AH. If you want to stop farmers, track transactions and snuff them out, don't drop in a thinly veiled money grab and try to sell it to the people who are already paying you.
  • coliercolier Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 119 Arc User
    So many spammers blew right past you're newly imposed restrictions...by Sunday morning all the spamming chat was right back to normal, spamming in the Trade, LFG, SAY and Zone channels. So the continuous clicking of our mouse buttons to "Report Spam" is back in full swing around 72 hours after implementation.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Moderator Note: Added the following to the Original Post of this thread.

To unlock trading, auction house, and other social functions, one must have completed any five of the following quest chains on any one character on the account. Once unlocked on any one character, all characters will be unrestricted.

Chain: Return of the Crown
    Quests to complete:
    The Trail of the Crown
    Cornering Karzov

Chain: The Tower District
    Quests to complete:
    Returning the Pain
    Fists of the Warband
    Into the Cloak Tower

Chain: The Plague Tower
    Quests to complete:
    Troubled Times
    The Plague Tower

Chain: Blackdagger Ruins
    Quests to complete:
    The Sea Caves
    Bloodying the Bandits
    Grimstorm Keep

Chain: Neverdeath
    Quests to complete:
    Dragon Attack
    Opening the Way
    The Clockwork Tomb

Chain: Helm's Hold
    Quests to complete:
    The Underscar
    The Being from Beyond
    The Sanatorium

As soon as Module 10 hits the PS4 in October, one will be able to see much more easier in game these required quests as they will all be displayed in the new Campaign Layout screens and menus.
  • priso#7381 priso Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    Change the level to 70, and watch how thing gonna change.
  • I'm glad that gold spammers are being dealt with since 3 days have been hell with them clogging the chat.
  • kronos368nzkronos368nz Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Every time I visit Protector's Enclave, I take a second to "report spam" the names of characters spamming in the chat.
    I choose to believe that I'm helping the cause XD
  • shulbocka#5589 shulbocka Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Thanks for this information. My friend and I were going crazy trying to figure this out. Also, I'm still kind of new to mmos, so I didn't realize that all that spamming was gold spammers. I'll start reporting all I see as well. That <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> needs to stop.
  • baz#6039 baz Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I have been playing this game for a couple of days (tried a few different char)
    I have completed three of the requested chain quests and claimed the rewards from campaign page. Reached lvl 20. But still I am locked out!
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    baz#6039 said:

I have been playing this game for a couple of days (tried a few different char)

I have completed three of the requested chain quests and claimed the rewards from campaign page. Reached lvl 20. But still I am locked out!

@baz#6039

I am seeing indications that chat does not actually unlock without doing Blackdagger. I don't know if this is bugged, or intended that doing the earliest three is insufficient.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • baz#6039 baz Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    @beckylunatic
    Your exactly right, as soon as I complated the Black Dagger Ruins everything unlocked for me :smiley:
  • duce2duce#5231 duce2duce Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    In all the years of playing mmos every attempt to stop spammers either results in no effect to the spammers and damaging results to players that these things should NEVER effect.

How about we do some math? If there are 100 paying players putting 10 dollars a month in are complaining about a problem, It should take 1 person less than 1 week to solve the problem equalling in 1000 dollars in payment for jobs done. Now take 3 weeks off work to let the cash build back to 1000 then send someone in to address the problem. Now multiply it up by about 100 or 1000 and there should be a lot of time left over to fix any given problem.

Instead of setting restrictions on all players through a set it and forget it type of setup how about someone get off their lazy asses and come into the game once a week and MONITOR the chat box and delete and ban accounts as needed. Yes I have heard all of the excuses about what it takes to sign in and read the chat box, guess what I do it every day and it doesn't seem that hard? Now the implications of whats stated would suggest we want GM's to come play with us, NO just sit hidden in the enclave and READ the chat box, its not that hard to figure out who's spamming and who is not. This also can't be a job with a set day of the week for monitirong.

Another way is to take the crime stoppers method, pay people to participate in removing spammers instead of just blocking the player. I find the report player ability in neverwinter to be annoying and slow, you also can't report a group of people as there is a time limit between reporting.

I still think the cheapest and best option is to have a REAL person REALLY do something about spammers by sitting there and removing them as they come up. Take the guess work out of reviewing reports about spammers and having to investigate them, JUST SIT IN AND REMOVE THEM YOUYR SELF.

Tell me I am wrong here, You expect me to pay to play everyday, where is the hurt in expecting someone to fix/take care of problems every day? I pay a sub, there are rules about spamming, why am I seeing or needing to participate in a part of something that should be taken care of by the main followers/setters of the rules.
  • kritan76#1879 kritan76 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I just wish they'd fix guilds' inability to accept other guild invites. My guild on PS4 is having that issue. Can't grow if you can't expand guild wise!
  • kritan76#1879 kritan76 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I just want someone out there to resolve the guild alliance issue for me. Or am I the only one having this problem?
  • lord#2825 lord Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    i did 3 of those quest chains and still no trade! ok, honestly little bit ridiculous to be level 25 and can't even chat or trade with friends... and the instructions everywhere are just vague. here reads 3 "any three" and the game says 5... woowwweee what
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Anything done to stop gold spammed doesn't work.. ever...

Normal players and new players suffer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • shawynnexshawynnex Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    baz#6039 said:

@beckylunatic

Your exactly right, as soon as I complated the Black Dagger Ruins everything unlocked for me :smiley:

Where the hell are the quests in Black Dagger Ruins? I've done everything I could at level 20, went back to the older zones to grind up to level 23, came back and still don't see any new quests.
    Knox doesn't have quests; he's just sending me on crafting missions.

• shawynnexshawynnex Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2017

Moderator Update:

To unlock trading, auction house, and other social functions, one must have completed any three of the following quest chains on any one character on the account. Once unlocked on any one character, all characters will be unrestricted.

I was excited for a little while, thinking that you guys actually made Neverwinter less of a single player RPG, but when I logged in game and tried to chat, it still says I need to complete FIVE (5) quest chains.

So, I try to submit a ticket, but the help function sends me on a wild goose chase (try it out for yourselves, no matter which button you press, it'll lead you back to square 1).
    So, I tried to submit a bug report, and went thru another wild goose chase; can't even report a bug.
    So, I tried submitting a ticket to the GM. I write in my subject, fill out the body, and can't even hit the "Submit" button.

TBH this last bit of deception is it for me. I don't think unlocking chat can make this game enjoyable anymore, especially now that I know what kind of bull HAMSTER the social aspects and Help function this game has to offer.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    It was indeed changed to 5 as stated in game.