test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic Wants Your Feedback on The Foundry

Comments

• mahburgmahburg Member Posts: 598 Arc User
    To Paraphrase Monty Python, "this parrot is dead".
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    mystocles said:

Yea but you would also theorectically free up some of the artists time... so just follow that thought through. Also I'd be willing to bet that they will at some point enhance the rewards available to the foundry since that would seem to make logical sense... but time will tell I guess and yea making sure the system is not abused definatly seems to be the core issue.

What artists? They have not added a single asset to the foundry for well over a year. There is a ton of art that has been added to the game, that they cant even be bothered to import over to the foundry. If they are not willing or able to do even that, WITH FINISHED ASSETS. Why would you think they are willing to do even more? Your premise is flawed because you assume there is a pulse here, there isnt.
  • mystoclesmystocles Member Posts: 56 Arc User

mystocles said:

Yea but you would also theorectically free up some of the artists time... so just follow that thought through. Also I'd be willing to bet that they will at some point enhance the rewards available to the foundry since that would seem to make logical sense... but time will tell I guess and yea making sure the system is not abused definatly seems to be the core issue.

What artists? They have not added a single asset to the foundry for well over a year. There is a ton of art that has been added to the game, that they cant even be bothered to import over to the foundry. If they are not willing or able to do even that, WITH FINISHED ASSETS. Why would you think they are willing to do even more? Your premise is flawed because you assume there is a pulse here, there isnt.
    I said that in the first post... that at this point from a business prospective they probibly just want to move onto the next project... but even if they did, tools could be designed for this could be used in future projects and also really just wanted to make the post for feedbacks sake even if it doesn't really mean anything. Also with the release of the ps4 version seemly doing oKish and the staff changes that are taking place maybe we will see more activity... I mean they did just release a fairly large patch.
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    mystocles said:

I said that in the first post... that at this point from a business prospective they probibly just want to move onto the next project... but even if they did, tools could be designed for this could be used in future projects and also really just wanted to make the post for feedbacks sake even if it doesn't really mean anything. Also with the release of the ps4 version seemly doing oKish and the staff changes that are taking place maybe we will see more activity... I mean they did just release a fairly large patch.

The game doing ok on console means that they don't have to make any investment in foundry, because console doesn't even have a foundry. That means anything they make is best served by being content they can release on pc and console.

The dev who started this thread is long gone from Cryptic. I suspect the only reason this thread is still a sticky is no one who can unsticky it bothers to come to the foundry forum.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • mystoclesmystocles Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited August 2016

mystocles said:

The game doing ok on console means that they don't have to make any investment in foundry, because console doesn't even have a foundry. That means anything they make is best served by being content they can release on pc and console.

The dev who started this thread is long gone from Cryptic. I suspect the only reason this thread is still a sticky is no one who can unsticky it bothers to come to the foundry forum.
    I said that they should create packs of the assets created by the community to introduce into the game itself... akin to what valve did in csgo. Yea ok dead thread got it.. why is there so many people coming here to argue with me about things that are no even in contradiction with what I posted.... instead of just letting my comment sit and be ignored as most feedback you give is.

It's like whats the point of all you people saying they can't or are not gonna do what I posted.... It's like ok yea sure they likely won't, can't, don't care whatever.... That's not the reason I posted feedback I mean I assume mostly my feedback doesn't even get read but what I wrote would make the game better.... do you not think adding new assets to the game would make it better or that having the community help create them would be good. If so argue that point... everyone already knows they probibly won't actually do anything that's a given not necessary to argue that.
    mystocles said:

Yea ok dead thread got it.. why is there so many people coming here to argue with me about things that are no even in contradiction with what I posted.... instead of just letting my comment sit and be ignored as most feedback you give is.

Because people don't like it when someone new comes and starts picking at old wounds. As is they somehow are going to do what no one else has been able to do. As if they somehow have new ideas or new arguments that haven't been tried by others over the course of several years.
  • valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Dont' be mistaken, every feature they could add to the foundry is more than welcomed.

People don't want the "stormy winter cloud" used in new areas? I want it for the foundry.
    People don't want the fishing animation (or the whole fishing quest)? I want it for the foundry.
    People don't like the new maps/zones? I want them for the foundry.

Hell, I even want the trash assets for the foundry, anything! is better than nothing.

But as @sockmunkey said: "Because people don't like it when someone new comes and starts picking at old wounds."

The soon you understand that they don't care much (or almost anything) for the foundry, it will be better for you and your health, trust me.
    Post edited by valcontar73 on
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    Necro much guys? This thread has been LONG dead. I doubt anyone from Cryptic even looks at this.
  • guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    Cryptic does not give a rat's behind for anything in this forum.... or the foundry. They would have removed the foundry completely two years ago if not for the fear of a false advertising lawsuit.

Cryptic does not give a rat's behind for anything in this forum.... or the foundry. They would have removed the foundry completely two years ago if not for the fear of a false advertising lawsuit.

You know, they removed all mention of the foundry from their website and adverts.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User

You know, they removed all mention of the foundry from their website and adverts.

...and still they wonder why the entire game continues to slowly die more and more every month as they rehash old content and add ever more grinding and big-ticket zen items.

Talk about an EPIC management fail.
  • manyvengeancemanyvengeance Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    There are communities of modders out there that prolly outnumber us, and the content some of them do is pretty amazing, voice acting, lore-friendly, new textures, new models, you name it... The Foundry for this game has so much potential if Cryptic would bother to give the right tools. Look at Skyrim, 2011 SINGLE player game STILL very much alive to this day thanks to mods, and Neverwinter isn't Elder Scrolls, is freakin Dungeons & Dragons!! I would imagine D&D has many many more fans willing to do and share their own adventures with people.

And if you guys in PC get a nice Foundry gem, then it could be shared with consoles, everybody wins, Cryptic could do less work, players get new content, modders get a new community and lore, but I guess it's wishful thinking for what I've read so far :disappointed:
  • vandignescavandignesca Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    I've come to the conclusion that a system like the foundry is only possible in a subscription-only game.
    It's just doomed to failure in a b2p game, and especially in a f2p monetizing one like Neverwinter.

Someone will always come and say "And if we allow players to make this stuff, we're competing with them for attention and money, because they can make content same as we do, yet not charge for it."

I played Rift for a while, and while it was not my cup of tea, I do remember a dev once posting on the forums that according to some study they looked at, only 10-15% of a typical f2p playerbase spends any money, ever. That's too small (in number of people) of a source of income to risk it competing with a player's handcrafted quest.

The benefit of a subscription service is they can go "is our content actively competing with theirs for money? No, it's not, because they've already paid to access everything. If they do not like our quests, fine, we are still receiving a subscription from them."

The sad truth for me is that even if the Foundry were suddenly supported through a vip-only type program, I probably wouldn't join at this point. I've spent hundreds of dollars on this game and watch it become just and endless grind session. I do not think I would pay $10 a month for just foundry quests and advancement. The official world as it has been crafted to this point just isn't fun anymore, and I think that's a necessary backdrop. Player quests can't just exist in a void. I've been gone for a while now, but still check back here because this game was fun at one point.

Anyway, wish you all well.

Love yourself, and focus on the rest of the madness of life later.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User

I've come to the conclusion that a system like the foundry is only possible in a subscription-only game.
    It's just doomed to failure in a b2p game, and especially in a f2p monetizing one like Neverwinter.

Not necessarily -- we've shown SEVERAL valid ideas for "monetizing" foundry - zen store "product placement" - similar to seeing products in movies and TV shows -- get's people interested and can actually "see" the product in game. Also things like Zen store "coupon" drops and "trial" tokens (similar to mount tokens when you first start = get a token and "test-drive" a mount, or a set of armor, or a weapon, or any non-consumable zen store item).

PLENTY of ways to INCREASE Zen sales using the foundry.
  • vandignescavandignesca Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    eldarth said:

Not necessarily -- we've shown SEVERAL valid ideas for "monetizing" foundry - zen store "product placement" - similar to seeing products in movies and TV shows -- get's people interested and can actually "see" the product in game. Also things like Zen store "coupon" drops and "trial" tokens (similar to mount tokens when you first start = get a token and "test-drive" a mount, or a set of armor, or a weapon, or any non-consumable zen store item).

PLENTY of ways to INCREASE Zen sales using the foundry.
    "I played Rift for a while, and while it was not my cup of tea, I do remember a dev once posting on the forums that according to some study they looked at, only 10-15% of a typical f2p playerbase spends any money, ever. That's too small (in number of people) of a source of income to risk it competing with a player's handcrafted quest."

This is, I guess, my counterpoint to that. I remember those threads on monetizing the foundry. But if the statistic is true, they will ask:

"with our current advertising system driving purchases in the game, and only getting 15% of players spending money, will it truly be effective at all in giving us a return on investment added on to another system? After all, even bug free and with alternate reward paths, not everyone in our playerbase will play the foundry, so we have an even smaller amount of players who will purchase something. In addition, due to the customizability of foundries, what incentives will players even have towards spending money towards gear for foundry quests when authors can change the difficulty at will? Revenue would be limited largely to cosmetic options. Is that a path we want to take?"

The sad fact is that in f2p games players apparently only really spend money if you push them to, otherwise they're content to have fun at absolutely no cost whatsoever. Even if they added advertising or sold modules, the playerbase who would spend money must seem very small to them. I would love for the Foundry to be worked on. I just don't think a system like it will ever flourish outside a well-polished subscription only game.

Love yourself, and focus on the rest of the madness of life later.
  • mysticmarksmysticmarks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited August 2016

Hello foundry community!

I am Spirals. I'm a sound designer for Cryptic studios. I am trying to do some research on The Foundry and gather data concerning the player community's thoughts on the design and implementation of The Foundry as a medium for user generated content (UGC). We are asking for your help in considering how we might improve UGC now and in future Cryptic projects.

Please take a few minutes to answer the following questions:

What do you feel The Foundry does right? What feels good to you and what do you have fun doing? Why are you glad The Foundry was implemented in Neverwinter?

How do you feel The Foundry fell short? What do you absolutely hate doing in The Foundry? What are elements of The Foundry that make you wish it was never implemented in Neverwinter?

What would you add to The Foundry to attract more authors and incentivize content creation? How would you like to see The Foundry implemented?

What are some other games you feel got UGC implementation right? What can Cryptic Studios learn from the UGC tools of these other games?

Thank you so much for your time.

- Spirals

As a Digital design professional from the advent of the technologies, and as a foundry user since the very begininng, I have a lot of insight to offer.

#1. From the release of the game, all of us(then) expected to be able to generate UGC with genuine bosses and mechanics available. I played paper D&D up until the first digital D&D games were created to play. I've played them all, ever. It's been long overdue to become that tool. The playerbase can digitize old campaign modules and essentially build the entire forgotten realms world within foundry.

#2. Give us all the bosses and all the mechanics; Let your team focus on refining the best of the best and on adding more and more mechanics. The players will have endless amazing dungeons.

#3. UGC will outperform even your own teams expectations or abilities with the right resources, for free.

#4. The 3D design elements aren't fully intuitive, especially in regards to room creation/door/passage merging zones.

#5. Random map generation via script based on choosen library elements.

#6. Personal long term asset library***(sharing of those assets with fellow authors, see #7)

#7. COAUTHORING

#8. Real end treasure chest rewards that are cool. (maybe a true random chest with anything ever in game made on the roll tables?)

#9. MANY new mob skills for the whole game. (Introduce the entire D&D monster manual and use the actual skills listed.)

#10. Use of ALL dungeons from all modules as base maps including the boss rooms. HUGE mistake on epic removals when the 60-70 expansion came. Spellplague was a great room mechanic that many of us miss. the game needs fun room mechanics.

#11. The game has always needed a true view zoom in and out of view with a possiblity of 1st person camera. First person would draw in players, and allow for completely different experiences playing neverwinter.

#12. pvp map creation. Require spawn points based on map size used 2, 3, and 5 points as options for # of spawns; 5 players per spawn point for 2 and 3 spawn point maps. 3 man teams for the 5 point version AND have an option to include mobs on all of them.(bosses disabled for this creation mode, of course)

Essentially, your team produces assets(maps,objects, mechanics, etc), the players build to rough finish; upon extended reviews by the community, your team touches up their work and commits it to permanent epic dungeons that can be searched still OR with a random dungeon button. If a player develops whole campaigns that contain quality epic dungeons for each mission, then offer epic campaigns for the first time. I live close enough that I would come in first hand to help. I live 2 hours from San Fransisco. ;D~
    Sometimes you're your own best teacher. ~Me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • manyvengeancemanyvengeance Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    We could end up in a loop here, but if the foundry gets appealing enough, then NW could get tons of new players, if that 15% keeps steady you'll end up with a larger community = more money for Cryptic, maybe like @vandignesca said that the foundry could be available if you're VIP and you unlock Tools for the Foundry each rank of VIP up to Rank 6, it's truly not that crazy idea and if you're new to the game VIP Rank 6 is like what you pay for any other game.
    edited August 2016
    It was part of the up front sales pitch. I've been waiting for the tool to be refined for 3 years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

As a Digital design professional from the advent of the technologies, and as a foundry user since the very begininng, I have a lot of insight to offer.

So why aren't you creating content in the games that offer all those things you want?
    edited September 2016

So why aren't you creating content in the games that offer all those things you want?
    "digital design" has over 168 diciplines of engineering design under it. Computer Aided design software is used for all of them. Gaming is my hobby, designing machinery is my profession. "Insight" is exactly that. The conjunction of my cumulative design career in a multitude of disciplines using the vast majority of design products that exist for 2d/3d design today and in this case my gaming hobby. It happens that the overlap is large in both is all.
    If you choose to make your hobby your career, more power to you. My particular forte is in Design systems, all of them. I'm offering insight from a variety of perspectives to improve a game that is part of my gaming hobby. I for one like foundry and want it improved for a basic user. What do I know though. Im only a 20 year veteran of every Autodesk product created, developed high speed machinery with Solidworks, Recreated Airfoils for retrofit doppler units on NOAA craft, designed patent submittals, produced construction documentation for a variety of structures in all major desciplines.
    In any case.. did you have anything positive to contribute, or just cynicism to offer? I'm about results.
    Post edited by mysticmarks on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2016

In any case.. did you have anything positive to contribute, or just cynicism to offer? I'm about results.

I ponied up 5 million in no strings attached AD prize money for community run Foundry contests, you?

If you choose to make your hobby your career, more power to you.

I live close enough that I would come in first hand to help.

You already offered to go in on your free time and help Cryptic. So more power to yourself for trying to make a hobby a career in games I guess?

In any case you could be happily doing all that stuff you talk about wishing the foundry could do (and you say you've been a Foundry user since the beginning), but you aren't doing that. You could put all those digital design skills to use today to make the content you apparently want to.
    edited September 2016

I ponied up 5 million in no strings attached AD prize money for community run Foundry contests, you?

If you choose to make your hobby your career, more power to you.

I live close enough that I would come in first hand to help.

You already offered to go in on your free time and help Cryptic. So more power to yourself for trying to make a hobby a career in games I guess?

In any case you could be happily doing all that stuff you talk about wishing the foundry could do (and you say you've been a Foundry user since the beginning), but you aren't doing that. You could put all those digital design skills to use today to make the content you apparently want to.
    I take it you haven't run my foundries? smh. So what's your input then? If you just like to troll, kick rocks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    Don't fight each other, it's pointless...,

or in the other hand, if you escalate this, maybe some moderator will come and realize about this necro post.
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    It's a sticky, so it doesn't really fall under the necro title, (which reminds me, I need to add the werecrocodile I made to the Fiend Folio thread.) I think the point behind this thread is that our ideas are "out there," it's Cryptic's responsibility to read and respond, neither of which has been the result. Of course we all have an emotional attachment to the time and work put in creating quests, which leads to frustation, and for some a reason to walk away. It's the old "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink" analogy. The console ports don't help the cause for the Foundry either, since the developers seem to copy and paste, (not literally) the patches several months after release on the PC. I've been working on trying to capture players' attention while in the leveling process, because at end game the rewards don't match the effort. There are many different ideas and ways that the Foundry could be made viable, this thread shows that and the fact it has been continuously added to, (whether by trolling or not) shows an interest in the Foundry itself.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    foundry is the only viable endgame campaign solution

foundry is the holy grail. buried and forgotten, capable of saving the game.

alas. ;D
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • codykirkpatrickcodykirkpatrick Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    when are the new foundry technologies going to be updated since its still using 2000 to 2005 tech its need 2012 to 2016 tech so we can make items or stuff any length of map without adding many parts and changing directions without adding more parts it need ai update too up to skyrim quality or higher with weather changes and more
    it would cut down 80 to 90 percent creating time do just what i said alone not including making the walls and building so it fits on the ground and not in the air becuse u cant change height or width.
  • sn0wst0rmzsn0wst0rmz Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Was it last Friday that the 'new top dev' or whatever live streamed with Strumslinger? Nothing about the foundry was mentioned, in fact I'm pretty sure they avoid the topic like it was a plague carrying, Sachi-from-AbridgedSAO-lag-infecting waste of time.

They use Steam for advertising, but no steam client so we can spend SteamCash on this game. They shitcanned the foundry dev, yet we all come back hoping for even a hint of revitalization of the foundry.

Landmark next flopped. Doubt they will invest the money into making a console-kiddy version of the foundry. As someone else said earlier this thread... they have no profit motive as an incentive in regards to foundry for console players. There just isn't without investment. Now that their is a single owner of PWE, living in the Caymans.... I'm pretty sure you can forget about Foundry updates on the calendar actually coming true at some point in the future.

I personally would love too see them update the foundry assets and overhaul it completely. I think the sandboxy aspect of running foundries for daily rewards was something special you can't find in other games. I miss it. Sword Coast Legends is still making a profit. Proof enough. I have no clue if part of their contract from WotC was to remove the Foundry from their game for 'renewal of IP lease'. I'm guessing not though, as they actually have it online now.

I came back last week or the one before that.... I've enjoyed the new content.... and it seems they are already working on the next 'new content'..... so at least there's that. I had quit last December, as foundry was dead/dying and Underdark....well.... didn't have much content at all. *shrugs*.

Albion Online is coming along nicely, however I'll always be a D&D fan at heart. I think we should probably spam the owner of PWE and see if he won't get the ball rolling on Foundry development. After all, I'm quite certain they've noticed the drop in long term players at this point. I don't see console players sticking around for long either....so.... *shrugs*.... maybe they won't just turn off the server and spend some $ on development? Who really knows....
    "I attack the darkness!"

Foundry Author of Arselu'Tel'Quess (NW-DDQ6P4IKQ)

Sword Coast Legends is still making a profit.

I don't think so. The Sword Coast Legends dev went bankrupt in March and closed. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167073-Sword-Coast-Legends-Developer-n-Space-Has-Shut-Down

• sn0wst0rmzsn0wst0rmz Member Posts: 114 Arc User

I don't think so. The Sword Coast Legends dev went bankrupt in March and closed. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167073-Sword-Coast-Legends-Developer-n-Space-Has-Shut-Down

n-space may have shut down but the game is complete and going to be released for console. Don't wanna discuss that game in depth, it had a very limited DM mode with very little for actual design tools. My point is, there's a market. They may very well have declared bankruptcy through that company to ditch the development costs. The IP was leased and the property is WotC. Hasbro is good at kicking debt off onto smaller companies to avoid paying the development costs. Hasbro is famous for it.

"I attack the darkness!"

Foundry Author of Arselu'Tel'Quess (NW-DDQ6P4IKQ)

n-space may have shut down but the game is complete and going to be released for console.
    It's dead as in there have been zero posts in their forums for several days, the recent posts are about someone wanting to set up a forum for a different game, and the most recent post about Sword Coast Legends itself is from 10 days ago. https://forums.swordcoast.com/index.php?/forum/7-news-general-discussion-introductions/ Steamcharts shows a 75 player average for September. http://steamcharts.com/app/325600 It's dead.

This discussion has been closed.