test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Community Tips for PlayStation 4!

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
As we await the arrival of this new group of adventurers, let’s prepare by offering them a guide with a section on community-made tips and tricks. Please read the blog for guidelines and rules!

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9999313-community-tips-for-playstation®4

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Comments

• Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited June 2016
    For category Guilds, Alliances and strongholds:

If the guild leader is inactive for more than 30 days, any rank 6 will be able to take over the guild as guild leader. If no rank 6 takes over, 30 days after that, a rank 5 will be able to take over. This will continue all the way down to rank 1. If you are going to be inactive, please make sure you have trustworthy people in your guild!
    Post edited by kreatyve on
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    For category Professions and gear:

Leadership is a great profession for making money and Refinement Point items. It is also the slowest to level profession. If you plan on doing Leadership as a profession, it is best to start on it as early as possible. It will help while leveling up your character by giving you experience, gold and sometimes health potions and enchants.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

If the guild leader is active for more than 30 days, any rank 6 will be able to take over the guild as guild leader. If no rank 6 takes over, 30 days after that, a rank 5 will be able to take over. This will continue all the way down to rank 1. If you are going to be inactive, please make sure you have trustworthy people in your guild!

I think you meant to say:

'If the guild leader is inactive for more than 30 days'

Otherwise there could be a lot of revolutions/takeovers if the guild leader is over-active :) >:)

• Options
    qexotic said:

kreatyve said:

If the guild leader is active for more than 30 days, any rank 6 will be able to take over the guild as guild leader. If no rank 6 takes over, 30 days after that, a rank 5 will be able to take over. This will continue all the way down to rank 1. If you are going to be inactive, please make sure you have trustworthy people in your guild!

I think you meant to say:

'If the guild leader is inactive for more than 30 days'

Otherwise there could be a lot of revolutions/takeovers if the guild leader is over-active :) >:)

Edited, lol. Thanks for the catch. It's been a busy day.
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    baeyornbaeyorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Questing and Bags:

Be sure to run the quests in Blacklake and in Neverdeath graveyard.

You will get 2 free bags from doing those quests.

Additionally, one of the quests in Neverdeath gives you a free profession resource.
  • Options
    baeyornbaeyorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
    Questing:

Be sure and do "The Lich's Lament" quest in Neverdeath graveyard. It does not give anything tangible, but it is hilarious and funny.. Read all the text for the quest, and listen to the voice acting.

This quest begins from a random drop off the zombies/fat hulks you kill.
  • Options
    dougyfresh#3824 dougyfresh Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Thanks for doing this. I'm reading all the resources I can in anticipation of the games release
  • Options
    telprydaintelprydain Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Professions:

Which order should you level them up?

1: Whichever one gives your class shirt/pants
    - Tailoring: CW
    - Leatherworking: HR, TR, SW
    - Mailsmithing: DC, GWF
    - Platesmithing: GF, OP

2: Whichever weapon you use:
    - Weaponsmithing: GWF, GF, HR, TR, OP
    - Artificing: DC, CW, SW

3: Anything other than Alchemy or Leadership.

4: Leadership/Alchemy

Why:
    1/2/3 are primarily to unlock slots by hitting the “Get any 3 Professions to Level 20 / Complete a task with at least a 100% speed bonus / Complete a task and earn the Tier 3 result” goals. You can also craft crates of surplus for the coffer, which is a plus.
    The clothing crafts are a great place to start because they all tend to be easy to level and cheapish to buy assets for. Go with whichever gives your class shirt/pants, as the crafted shirt/pants still better than drow.
    Also worth doing a 'weapon' Profession - just because they don't offer a lot in terms of what you can make, and therefore the assets are dirt-cheap.

Once you have all slots open, you can then aim for one of the two ‘big’ ones. They can take FOREVER, so it's best to have all profession slots unlocked first.
    Leadership: offers marks, refinement stones and even raw AD at high levels. At rank 23 can create crates of diamonds for the coffer.
    Alchemy: Creates potions/dyes. At rank 25 can create Unified Elements. Worthwhile, but a pain to level. Can create crates of gold for the coffer.

Note on Jewellery: Used to be awesome as personalised rings were best-in-slot, however now the underdark rings are definitively better. It can still be used to craft crates of gems for the coffer, which will be in demand.
    Casual Gamers
    Join us brothers and sisters and distant relations and confused onlookers.
    Join us in the shadows where we stand mostly vigilant... although slightly distracted by our inventories.
    "In war, unqualified. In peace, disorganised. In death, mild irritation."

JOIN US.
  • Options
    dravylldravyll Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Tip 1 (Professions)
    Jewelcrafting is worth a shot if you're looking for kits. This is the only profession so far which doesn't require a Dragon's Egg to craft a lvl 25 epic kit. Unless of course if you want to get 1 or a few via Tiamat raids or the auction house.

Tip 2 and 3 (for class and race)
    If you're out to choose a Devoted Cleric, the sun elf is a surprisingly good choice as the AP gain and 10% control resist will come in handy especially on the high end difficulty.

If you're out to choose Oathbound Paladin, half-orc is also surprisingly good. Critical severity bonus ensures a decent dps game while the run speed increase adds a more tactical edge to your game.
  • Options
    shonenbat88#8099 shonenbat88 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Don't waste your time/resources refining any enchantments or rune stones under rank 5. Once you're lvl 70 you get all the rank 5 drops you'll ever need. Also azure enchantments give bonus experience when equipped in a utility slot (can also equip more than one).
  • Options

Don't waste your time/resources refining any enchantments or rune stones under rank 5. Once you're lvl 70 you get all the rank 5 drops you'll ever need. Also azure enchantments give bonus experience when equipped in a utility slot (can also equip more than one).

I like this one. Not something I usually think about anymore.
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    kclowekclowe Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    PROFFESIONS:

I would strongly advize in investing into proffesions right off. Leatherworking is good because it covers three of the most popular classes (HR, SW, TR). Mailsmithing is good because it covers all the GWF's and DC's. You want to get to the point where you have enough epic assets to make at least 3 slots at once. This is so you can make the gemmed pants and shirts which sell for high prices and every single character will be needing when they hit lvl 70. Trust me, you want to be one of the ones selling, not buying these.
  • Options
    gamertothebone#5220 gamertothebone Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Beginner tips and helpful hints on week one

This is one thing I wish I knew when I hit level 70 about something I did earlier in game.

Level 21 quest Artifact Recovery

You get a choice of Artifacts when quest is done. Every new player I know picks Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue. It gives a vendor you can summon to sell things....bag space is at a premium to being able to see without going to a NPC is good.

If you plan on doing VIP you get a vendor you can summon at rank 7 iirc.

When you get level 70 most likely you will wish you had picked Lantern of Revelation....SPECIALLY if you playing DPS class.

The issue may not be this simple for everyone...some may not want to get VIP.

For me...wish I had picked Lantern on my Scourge, my Hunter and my Control Mage.

• Options
    nicorolnicorol Member Posts: 1 New User
    Category: Tips and Hints for Week one.
    Don't rush over maps, or spend too much time killing monsters to grind xp. Just follow the storyline and the exp and money will come alone, but more important, the gear. Trying to take things in order will help you get the gear you need for your level and sometimes better. Try and do every day a couple dungeons and skirmishes and pvps, so you can get a nice amount of Astra Diamonds, the money used to get most important things.
    Pay attention to details and have fun with a really complex and long term game!
  • Options
    kwsapphirekwsapphire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 671 Arc User
    Category: Beginner tips and helpful hints on week one

The Red Splat is bigger than it looks.
    (If you're right on the edge or just outside the red splat, you're probably still in range of whatever is about to hit you.)
    qtPt2I
  • Options
    ddem0n888ddem0n888 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    Try to pay attention to most of the special quests given to you by Sgt. Knox. I just ignored most of these and made it to lvl 60 (lvlcap then) for several weeks before I'd invoked or done a single profession.

Any early purchases should be aimed at quality of life. More bags/bank space, a fast mount (rare or epic ideally).
    Guild - Excalibur
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    Don't trust the skull.
  • Options
    strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer

If I may offer a suggestion: Make this a game-wide thing, not a console thing. Let everyone enjoy the benefits of having some guidance, regardless of what platform they want to play.

Yup, it's already going to go in the Guides section for all platforms.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• Options
    scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    baeyorn said:

Questing and Bags:

Be sure to run the quests in Blacklake and in Neverdeath graveyard.

You will get 2 free bags from doing those quests.

Additionally, one of the quests in Neverdeath gives you a free profession resource.

This is a good Tip. In addition, there is a 5th bag available from the Order of the 3rd Eye campaign that you can start at lv 10. and you can get more green profession assets/tools for completing the Tower District and Neverdeath zones and claiming the Deed rewards on your campaign page
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • Options
    firebreath86firebreath86 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    I would like to submit a change to the control wizard part in the handbook. Submitting isn't a good word for it. Its a change that MUST happen.
    Control wizards are more melee than they are ranged as all specs currently requires you to stay in melee range for icy field. Granted you can place it on tab and make it ranged but that would mean giving up either conduit or fanned flames.

In single target situations a CW is a ranged class but most of the time you will find yourself in melee range instead.

In short. Control wizards are melee AND ranged like the hunter ranger. If there is no space for a 4th attribute on the page than change it to melee. Else you are misinforming potential new control wizards in thinking they can play their class to the fullest as ranged.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    I agree. Most of a CW's AoE capability requires playing up close and personal (Icy Terrain, Steal Time, and Oppressive Force). Only single-target fights really allow you to be effective playing fully ranged.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User

I agree. Most of a CW's AoE capability requires playing up close and personal (Icy Terrain, Steal Time, and Oppressive Force). Only single-target fights really allow you to be effective playing fully ranged.

Ranged is still ranged. Melee has a very distinct definition in D&D, and the CW is NOT a melee class.

CW's don't have a single melee ability. Icy Terrain is a 15' burst, which is the single shortest range spell in the arsenal. Steal Time is 30' burst. Oppressive Force is a 25' burst. Everything else is most definitely ranged.

One short ranged ability doesn't mean the class is all of a sudden a "melee" class. To say that would be incredibly misleading, and give new players the wrong impression. A melee caster class is most definitely a different archetype that the control wizard.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    firebreath86firebreath86 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    I don't know squat about archtypes but if I look for a ranged class than I expect I can pew pew from distance. Without nerfing myself. The statement ranged means to me that you can stay at range at all times (provided the adds are tanked by someone else ofc).

Icy terrain may have a 15'burst. Issue is more that if you stand at 15' you will only hit the closest adds. If you want to also hit the other adds which are on the opposite side of the tank/player who tanks than this automatically means you are standing much closer than 15' to the 1st adds. Most likely you will be as close as the full melee classes will be.

The range of oppressive force/stealtime is a bit meaningless in this regard. Fact remains that you must be in melee range to hit all the adds with Icy terrein. That you can shift back for your other abilities won't change this.

So yes. You might be right that calling a CW melee will also not work and would misinform people too as its not according to archetypes. However calling it ranged is also wrong and imo even more wrong than melee as you want to inform new players about a playstyle.

Maybe its best to drop the ranged/melee thing alltogether and go with damage+control+buffs. Whatever happens. Ranged needs to be dropped imo.

• Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    I'll echo a few here and add what else I can think of:

-A good companion is worth its weight in AD. Augment companions (such as Ioun Stones) once ruled the day but with the way bonding runestones work now (and I would definitely recommend getting one) a good, fast attacking companion will work nicely. Not that Ioun Stones are totally worthless, mind you. Overpriced, but not worthless. Healer companions are good early.

-Wanderer's Fortune is almost a must-have mount buff (drops free RP stones similar to Dragon's Hoard Enchantments). If you don't buy a Fury of the Feywild pack (assuming those are still available), the cheapest mount to obtain this buff would be the Gilded Giant Spider.

-Speaking of Dragon Hoard Enchantments, if you're not going after movement speed boost or glory/gold/EXP boosts in your utility slot, those aren't bad to have if you're looking to farm AD (and there WILL come a point where you'll have to either farm or buy RP stones from the AH). Remember, though--they DO come with a cooldown and a reduction in drops after a period of time. The drops from such are also bound to account (as are the stones from Wanderer's Fortune).

-Leadership may not be the way to mint AD anymore as it was in the past, but it's still a decent source of RP stones (and those stones are unbound so you CAN sell them on the AH if you wish). However, it's a slog, so invest in green/blue/purple assets if you can. FYI: There are green assets for the weapon and armor that you need for some Leadership tasks--these are completely unnecessary though.

-Two artifact quests you should NOT skip are the early level one you get and the Vault of the Nine quest. You CAN do this quest at 60 but you'll probably get hulk smashed without help. You'll also get an early quest (as of the last major patch) for an artifact (however this tops out at level 60) and you can do a featured storyline in PE to get another artifact (Bruenor's Helm). Keep in mind that class artifacts from the Vault of the Nine quest CANNOT be refined into other artifacts.

-VIP is nice to have if just for the free daily lockbox key alone. However, to get the other valuable perks (discounts from the Wondrous Bazaar, travel signpost, salvage anywhere, invoke anywhere, and so on), you'll need to invest a bit into it. It's 1k ZEN for one month, and although you'll have to refresh its activity, the rank is permanent, so you don't have to rank it all up in one shot (e.g. if you buy a month of VIP and haven't before, you'll start at rank 1 of benefits, and then move up to rank 2 with the next month, or as many ranks as your particular level of purchase gives you). The max rank is 12.

-Speaking of lockboxes.....two points. One, save the trade bars you get from those lockboxes, you can get some pretty nice mounts and other things from the Trade Bar Store. Also....don't go expecting the legendary mount to drop easily--those are about as scarce as a snowflake in.....yea, you probably get the picture.

-If you aren't into spending real cash on the game, there's always the ZEN Exchange (popularly abbreviated as the ZAX). You can trade your AD for ZEN, and vice versa. Keep in mind, though, that the prices can vary wildly (from 50-500 AD per 1 ZEN purchased) and some events will cause the ZAX to waver around the higher end of that limit.

This is just some really basic info that comes to mind. Hope this helps!!

ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
This discussion has been closed.