test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter Coming to Windows 10

Comments

• candilionheart#4292 candilionheart Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    arabatur said:

I am already running the game on Windows 10, I don't see what the big whoop de whoop is.

Both of my computers have windows 10 and I run Neverwinter on them just fine!!! ;))

• egnigemegnigem Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 49 Arc User

...or is it a newly optimized version for those of us using Windows 10 as our operating system?

This was my first thought when I saw the ad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • looomislooomis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 253 Arc User

looomis said:

If we will be able to install Neverwinter without installing Arc, then its the best addition since mod5.

just fyi - You can play Neverwinter and bypass Arc completely by using the Neverwinter.exe file if you want. I never run Arc; I just run NW from a shortcut on my desktop.
    Yes, thanks. But you still have to install Arc and run it 1 time to get NWO.
  • korusenseikorusensei Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14 Arc User
    DirectX 12?
  • taitinhakkaajataitinhakkaaja Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    Maybe they are gonna unite xbox and pc playerbase under same servers. Soon win10 users can play xbox games anyway... we'll see.
  • scottnbnpscottnbnp Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I hope they use the new Microsoft mutli platform engine that is required to put games on the windows store, because maybe the game might run better from people.
    Almost exact same build PC wise, My fiance runs at smooth 60fps but i struggle to maintain 30, the only difference is the GPU, mine being the R90x, and no matter what i do it runs like garbage, so maybe a new wrapper will make the game playable for other people :) looking forward to trying this out.
  • mysteriasdrassamysteriasdrassa Member Posts: 299 Arc User

looomis said:

If we will be able to install Neverwinter without installing Arc, then its the best addition since mod5.

just fyi - You can play Neverwinter and bypass Arc completely by using the Neverwinter.exe file if you want. I never run Arc; I just run NW from a shortcut on my desktop.
    I did something similar,, just un-installed arc and left Neverwinter,, seemed to crash less after i did that,, hmmmmm
  • xnetrunnerxxnetrunnerx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    The Xbox version requires Gold, the News article only mentions gold for xbox.

With this new version, even more players can explore the vast city of Neverwinter and its surrounding countryside, learning the vivid history of the iconic city in the Forgotten Realms and battling its many enemies. Neverwinter is currently available on PC and digitally for Xbox One, available free-to-play with Gold* from the Xbox Games Store.

*On Xbox, Xbox Live Gold membership (sold separately) required.
  • xnetrunnerxxnetrunnerx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    #strumslinger

What shard server is the Win App going to be on?

1. PC servers = redundant - just another way to get too NWO
    2. Xbox server = :smiley: This could be cool, Xbox players would be able to get to there accounts from other devices such as at work, :smile:
    3. both server = win for both
    4. New server = Loser for all - no players - have to start over - market share too low to support

I guess they will go with option # "2", Microsoft has moved the Xbox to win10 platform and windows to the microsoft store and app system. All of this is for the universal app. This is cool smart kid option. You can play your characters from xbox, PC and Phone.

I also guess that the App has the ability to block other programs such as bots which will help improve player economies.
  • chrisolliecchrisolliec Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 37 Arc User
    scottnbnp said:

I hope they use the new Microsoft mutli platform engine that is required to put games on the windows store, because maybe the game might run better from people.
    Almost exact same build PC wise, My fiance runs at smooth 60fps but i struggle to maintain 30, the only difference is the GPU, mine being the R90x, and no matter what i do it runs like garbage, so maybe a new wrapper will make the game playable for other people :) looking forward to trying this out.

Well, does DX12 run on older GPUs?

If I may ask, how much graphics memory is attached to your GPU?

"I came from a long gone time, saw many other times...
    But I'm still human."
    Admiral Chris Curtiss, Temporal Ambassador
    ---
    "I don't like the smell of this."
    Eliza Sandtracker, Hunter Ranger
  • xveganroxxveganrox Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Whoa, Neverwinter is going to be available for Windows PCs???? This is huge!
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    Can play this in windows ten just fine already lol.
  • fernandoeliseifernandoelisei Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 76 Arc User
    Fix the lag issues ? Nothing. i play in win 10 a half of year, theres no great news to me. I wish the lag in WoD or SH be fixed, but...i think so not
  • haydn12haydn12 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I have had had it with Xbox getting this game now I see that is coming on the windows 10 store come on where is the ps4 version of the game God damit I have been waiting for this to come to ps4 since they said it was coming to BOTH consoles so where is the ps4's one please someone shed some light for me thanks
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    My experience with Windows 10 was different. As soon as I downloaded the update Neverwinter stopped working right. Even after I implemented the start-up fix, I could no longer take more than 1 action @ a time in game. I hope this new version will fix this.
  • aleajaaleaja Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I recently came back to the game and am experiencing issues with its performance. Personally, I am hoping this will mean that the game will be better optimized for Windows 10 users. I'm operating in Windows 10 right now on a new gaming laptop, but I don't feel the game works too well in this system. It works, but it does strange things sometimes -- and it lags. Or maybe this is just how the game is in general currently? It's hard to tell, but it seemed to work a little better on my older laptop which uses Windows 8.1, has an older video card, CPU and less RAM.

Does it maybe have something to do with some changes implemented in this maze engine patch? I have no idea.
    Devoted Cleric - Chocolate Shoppe
  • wildfiredewildfirede Member Posts: 886 Arc User
    zebular said:

I am already running Neverwinter in Windows 10, and I just use the Neverwinter.exe launcher instead of Arc or Steam.

Is this proposing a third shard of Neverwinter? Should I expect to lose all my progress?

An announcement of this nature really should have more details. Confusion benefits nobody, and is likely to be more harmful than helpful for your business.

I am a big fan of Neverwinter and of D&D, but the administration behind this wonderful game really should get their act together.

The "Windows Store" is an entirely separate function than normally (or traditionally) installed programs. Think of Windows Store like the Google Play, Apple Store, or Amazon Store for devices, just for your PC instead. With what little info was given, it's then easy to assume this will be an additional way to install Neverwinter on the PC. As for whether this means a new Shard or not, that is still open for wide assumption until we learn more.
    You know what is missing in the announcement's title and the logo which has more than 60% bla(nk)ck space - the word "Store" :)

So seeing this https://pwimages-a.akamaihd.net/arc/a2/dc/a2dc61664abf7d84cfc8a698497ed9f61460745255.jpg the first thing as a new customer coming to my mind is "Oh they made it compatible with windows 10..." - Which sounds bad as most other MMOs are compatible since early W10 Insider Builds.

On a side note - probably will be a little easier to ask for refunds via Store when the next tradebar-like change comes.
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"
    zhentarim-warlock-companion

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
    plague-fire-weapon-enchant-r11-vs-r12
  • acephaser127acephaser127 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    canmann said:

Ahhh I get where all our bug fixes and game play improvements have gone! They were busy porting the PC version to the PC!!

Most relevant thing said so far about this.
  • sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    My vote is this potentially means cross platform play, XBox One and Win10!
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • sanpedrocactussanpedrocactus Member Posts: 67 Arc User

So when will there be a Mac version?

lol. Just had to throw that in there didnt u. lol
  • videowrestling#5008 videowrestling Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    They have mastered the art of making announcements, without making announcements. Bruce Lee would be proud.
  • deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User
    Great news!

..Wait, what is Windows 10? There was a 9? I never saw 8.
    I still have a lappy using XP.
    I'm a Linux admin so I don't keep up with Windoze much.
  • rhynorhyno Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    hopefully this will have xbox controller support.
  • rumpelstiltskin#6652 rumpelstiltskin Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Fools! Don't you see? This is an answer to my problem! Windows 10 version with an Xbox live gamer tag...this means that with a Windows 10 device you can coop with Xbox live users in the same household! What else could it mean? A pc version already exists...I posted a question a while ago about coop with PC and Xbox users, to which I got a reply stating that the economic ramifications would never fly. This is the greatest move that Neverwinter has made. Think of the community boost and the convenience this offers. I was wondering when a cross platform. Mmorpg would hit, well it's been with us the whole time. Geniuses. Microsoft wins again with perfect 10s across the board.
  • scottnbnpscottnbnp Member Posts: 5 Arc User

scottnbnp said:

Well, does DX12 run on older GPUs?

If I may ask, how much graphics memory is attached to your GPU?

I am running a Radeon R9 290x i have 4gb of video memory (or ram), the card isn't the issue, people are saying its the CPU, because the game bottlenecks, but that isn't the issue either because my Fiance and i have the same CPU and it runs fine on hers with a older video card. The problem stems from the R9 series, because alot of people with this issue on this forum and steam forum all have R9's there are other people having the issue with their cards that aren't R9's but alot of the issues stems from that.
    So its a case of the game is badly optimized for certain cards. I have spent months trying to fix it, formats, reinstalls, clean drivers, nothing. So i've just given up and now play the game with about 20fps.
  • gharmingharmin Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    throsbi said:

arabatur said:

I am already running the game on Windows 10, I don't see what the big whoop de whoop is.

My thoughts exactly. Is there some new win 10 store i dont know about?
    Will be available through the Windows app store as opposed to downloading Arc or another 3rd party software. Just another venue for NW to reach an audience that would have otherwise not known about the game.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2016
    gharmin said:

throsbi said:

arabatur said:

My thoughts exactly. Is there some new win 10 store i dont know about?
    Will be available through the Windows app store as opposed to downloading Arc or another 3rd party software. Just another venue for NW to reach an audience that would have otherwise not known about the game.
    Aye. I am surprised at how many folks are not aware of the Windows Store and are taking this as though it's an OS-release type thing, or stating snide comments about it "coming to windows 10." The Windows Store is a core function of Win8+ operating systems and all this means is that Neverwinter will be available on the Windows 10 OS as such an App through the Windows Store. I.E. - Another content delivery method for the game to reach a wider audience. What this does open the door for speculation however is the possibility of cross-platform play in the future, as Windows Phones and XBOX One are Windows 10 platforms.

Again, as I said:
    zebular said:

I am already running Neverwinter in Windows 10, and I just use the Neverwinter.exe launcher instead of Arc or Steam.

Is this proposing a third shard of Neverwinter? Should I expect to lose all my progress?

An announcement of this nature really should have more details. Confusion benefits nobody, and is likely to be more harmful than helpful for your business.

I am a big fan of Neverwinter and of D&D, but the administration behind this wonderful game really should get their act together.

The "Windows Store" is an entirely separate function than normally (or traditionally) installed programs. Think of Windows Store like the Google Play, Apple Store, or Amazon Store for devices, just for your PC instead. With what little info was given, it's then easy to assume this will be an additional way to install Neverwinter on the PC. As for whether this means a new Shard or not, that is still open for wide assumption until we learn more.

• rumpelstiltskin#6652 rumpelstiltskin Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Yes I agree with guy about the new venue and the compatibility between xboxone and Windows 10. It may just be speculation, but damn it would be nice to play an mmo with someone in the same household. It's why I bought fiber optic internet service. I also think it a great unifying tool for Windows 10 and xboxone. People need and have computers already and a lot of people have an xboxone. It's abit exciting from an marri d family mans point of view.
  • branovicesbranovices Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Hopefully this will mean the game won't run like garbage for me. Ever since I updated to Windows 10 this game runs horribly for me, but only uses 20% or so of my GPU and CPU for some reason. This and STO are the only games I have this issue with. I have an AMD R9 390X with 8GB of VRAM, FX-9370 4.40GHz 8-core processor, and 16GB of RAM... I should not be having any problems.
  • nosimonosimo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 48 Arc User
    I wouldn't expect any game engine changes, as was said numerous times it's just another distribution method.
This discussion has been closed.