test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Developer Blog: Stronghold Cost Reductions

2»

Comments

• juleadreamjuleadream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    As a leader of a small(ish) guild, these changes are very welcome. And contrary to what another poster said, we will not be putting donations of anything on hold in the meantime: the coffer will still need the items regardless.

Only one glaring problem exists, one that was vaguely mentioned, but not at all touched in these changes: Conqueror's Shard of Power. The Dev's statement that, in effect, they are only needed for PvP structures is false. The Boon structure the Barracks requires them. This structure is not, in any way, a PvP only building. A boon that gives up to +8000 Power? MANDATORY in both PvE and PvP! And this structure requires Conqueror's Shard of Power to build.

However, there is only one way to earn them: WIN a Domination match. THIS NEEDS TO BE CHANGED. I am not going to suggest at all that the PvP element of earning them be changed, only that one little word: "win" needs to be "participate". Queue up for Domination. Stay the entire time. Make some measurable participation. Earn your shards. Lose, you get 10 sherds. Win, you get 20. This would help non-PvP guilds earn shards for this NECESSARY structure, while still rewarding players for victory. I myself despise PvP with a hatred so cold, the word for it has not been invented, and even I would queue up and allow myself to be used as someone else's cannon fodder if it meant that by just being there, I was helping my guild.

***edit***
    I know that just participating in Stronghold Siege earns Conq. Shards, but who are we kidding? From what I read on the forums, that is so dead even Valindra can't bring it back, so it doesn't count.
  • silverheart97silverheart97 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2016

Frozen Treasures are going to be our blocking point. When most members are playing with ping of around 400 and are happy to just be playing the game, Cryptic can't help our ping but when you add in rubberbanding and lag at IWD most won't bother trying. If the lag and rubberbanding wasn't there, then would really appreciate the steps that are being taken, not just with stongholds but across the whole game.

Actually, Kessel's Sigils (the bounty currency for IWD) drop in KR, which you can then exchange for Konig Coins with the bounty hunter in Caer-Konig. So if you really want to, you can get all of the Frozen Treasures you need without even setting foot in Icewind. Also, if you have VIP/are a regular buyer of keys, you can exchange Genie's Gifts for the Icewind currencies (assuming you don't need them to finish getting your boons or other currencies).
    Fey trinkets have by far been the most difficult for my guild to get - mostly because we all HATE Sharandar with a burning passion (Doing all 3 dailies in each of the 3 areas + feydark crystals + AR for roughly the same value as running 3 dailies + the weekly in DR or IWD? No thanks.) Even with everyone converting their fomorian concoctions into gold crescents we've been struggling (From when we run MC for the stronghold quest)
    Keep in mind - my guild has all of 3 (4 if you count the one that is just now getting back into NW after she stopped sometime after mod 4) active players, so take my words with a grain of salt. Still though, I can't imagine that frozen treasures would be more of an issue than fey trinkets.
    Post edited by silverheart97 on
  • bluzeboy7bluzeboy7 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    I'm on Xbox and obviously things are different but wow, I am completely surprised that influence isn't one of the things barring progression. at SH 10 its like 252k if i remember right. So much..
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    vasamatta said:

The reductions to the stronghold coofers are nice, but I still have a problem with how you raise the stronghold. The only way to get your stronghold to level 3 is to have four level one structures build. We have a lumberyard, a farm, and a marketplace. The only thing left to build are PvP structures. We have no intention of being a PvP guild, so why are we FORCED to not only build PvP structures but to go to PvP events.

You are not forced to build PvP structures or do PvP (unless you eventually want a Barracks). The guild hall also counts as a structure.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • fallnterpsichorefallnterpsichore Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Not really seeing any reductions. Did they not go live? Or did they only reduce the high end/lvl stuff?
  • sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User

However, there is only one way to earn them: WIN a Domination match. THIS NEEDS TO BE CHANGED.

Incorrect - Winning BID in IWD also counts as a pvp win, which is how our guild has managed to get 85% of our shards - and we just took the Barracks to rank 8. In two guilds.
    r000kie said:

So just to put things into perspective, in a thread announcing cost reduction: we can craft now, in 6 hours, 3 "Crate of Astral Diamonds", increasing the coffer for a whooping... 3 AD. ARE YOU FREAKING INSANE ??? 8 days and a quarter to craft the 99 Ad, with 1 from the pocket to fill that 1st 100 AD quota?

I vaguely remember it was supposed to be 1000 AD each crate. Don't know if I just imagine though, so much changes lately that is hard to keep insanity and reality apart. Btw, if it was supposed to be 1k AD each, I expect 3k AD x 10 in my mail. Thank you.

One "astral diamond chest" is a unit of stronghold coffer donation equal to 1000 AD. Each crafted voucher is worth one chest, not one AD.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• daalydaaly Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 84 Arc User
    Yeah not really noticing much in the way of reductions especially campaign currency, influence, etc. required per structure to be built. When you take into consideration all the assets needed to build even the basic structures for a small guild its a lot.
  • josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User

Not really seeing any reductions. Did they not go live? Or did they only reduce the high end/lvl stuff?

Reductions came in, my guild went from being lacking 3 currencies for next upgrade to just needing dungeon shards. Remember not all currencies had reductions, only the ones mentioned.
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    r000kie said:

So just to put things into perspective, in a thread announcing cost reduction: we can craft now, in 6 hours, 3 "Crate of Astral Diamonds", increasing the coffer for a whooping... 3 AD. ARE YOU FREAKING INSANE ??? 8 days and a quarter to craft the 99 Ad, with 1 from the pocket to fill that 1st 100 AD quota?

I vaguely remember it was supposed to be 1000 AD each crate. Don't know if I just imagine though, so much changes lately that is hard to keep insanity and reality apart. Btw, if it was supposed to be 1k AD each, I expect 3k AD x 10 in my mail. Thank you.

I think you missed the point...the 3 crates are worth 3 AD points in the coffer...each AD point is 1k AD...so it is saving you 3k AD.

• empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    The biggest problem our guild has had is mainly influence. No one wants to do 5 HE's every day and the race around black lake. And yes I know other structures have dailies that can give more and higher level stable gives better quests too but you can't build enough structures for them to make much of a difference.
    r000kie said:

I did missed the point completely, yes. I tried donating refined AD instead and saw that by putting 99 there, I would get 99 "points". I did not saw the dreaded x1000 on the right, good thing I did not wasted almost 100k AD.

My husband did something like that on the first day Strongholds went live before I could stop him.

You're welcome.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,046 Arc User
    To be honest, i don't see any big changes here... what costs did they actually reduce?
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • mysteriasdrassamysteriasdrassa Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I must say from a VERY small guild leaders standpoint, with around 10 members + alts (and yes we are just fine with being so small), this has helped out tremendously. In one day, we managed to significantly increase our Equipment level in just one day just by crafting purple crates (yes we had anticipated the changes so made sure we had maxed out our crafting levels, not hard to do by mass gathering and mass crafting) ,, no more hanging on to all that green junk for a measily 5 points each. Even with blues at 20 points it would have been a long uphill climb.
    regenerde said:

To be honest, i don't see any big changes here... what costs did they actually reduce?

As the notes said, AD costs reduced across the board but more noticeably the lower your rank. GH upgrade 4 -> 5 went from requiring around 2m to 400k, for example.

Treasures of Tyranny and Fey Trinket costs reduced by more modest amounts.

That's it for cost reductions. The rest of the relief is in the form of additional ways to generate resources.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• mhersheymhershey Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    > @regenerde said:
    > To be honest, i don't see any big changes here... what costs did they actually reduce?

I agree, although from reading other posts, my guild could simply be too new & too low level to really be seeing any benefit yet.
  • deedog5000deedog5000 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Influence is a big issues also. You cant expect a smaller guild to have the same success as a larger guild when it comes to killing the dragons either.
  • taitinhakkaajataitinhakkaaja Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    In our guild there is under 10 active players, so gathering influence is VERY hard. Basically we are forced to run sh he's with low level/geared alts -> multiple characters every day.
    Please make influence voucher too. Even then it will take us years to max our stronghold.
  • dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
    Campaign currency is always main obstacle to our small SH project. AD/gear/worker/influence was all doable with just few multi-alt players even before "SH relief fix".

The 10 group of dedicated people should be able get to rank 20 on their own. My proposal is following. The game can distinct guilds with 10/25/50/100/150 hard capacity. Each capacity level should apply its own donation caps to progress. For 10 person guild, the donation cap would be 15 times less than current. If 10 person guild wants to exploit it by easy leveling to GH 20 and jump back to 150 capacity, the simple requirement must exist to pay all "spared" resources first. For example, if total paid 10 millions of Fey, in order to move from 10 to 100 capacity, guild has to donate 90 millions of Fey first.

EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)

• kynejorrvaskrkynejorrvaskr Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    You are forced to build pvp structures since we can't build anything else now that our guild hall is at lvl 2, lumberyard 1, farm 1, and marketplace 1. All other pve structures need iron and/or stone and we can't upgrade our guild hall for some reason so we are resorted to grinding a pvp structure to be able to upgrade the guild hall.
    edited June 2016

You are forced to build pvp structures since we can't build anything else now that our guild hall is at lvl 2, lumberyard 1, farm 1, and marketplace 1. All other pve structures need iron and/or stone and we can't upgrade our guild hall for some reason so we are resorted to grinding a pvp structure to be able to upgrade the guild hall.

To me, this sounds like a bug, and you're likely to find building a PvP structure doesn't fix the problem.

User also posted this to Reddit, and had it pointed out that all current structures need to be rank 2 for this GH upgrade, not rank 1 as they currently are.
    Post edited by beckylunatic on

Neverwinter Census 2017

• instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    We've made it to nearly GH L10 without a single PvP structure.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79