test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This Game still Has so much potential.

deathklaat666deathklaat666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 61 Arc User
Forgotten Realms(Toril) The world that this game is based in has almost 30 years of development, in Dungeons and Dragons Modules and boxed sets and Novels , its is Huge and Neverwinter is just a small corner of the Savage North. it would be nice to see some of the other areas developed in future mods if The Devs utilize this in campaign development. Taking whole other cities and adding adventues in some of those areas, who wouldnt like to revisit Waterdeep and adventure in Undermountain with this game engine, or explore the Dalelands and the Ruins of Myth Drannor, or journey far east past Thay and Mulhorand to the lands of Kara-tur (for some oriental style adventures) or the deserts of Al-quadim. There are so many areas and great story lines already out there to pick up on and develop(way to many for me to even consider listing)Im just an old D&D nerd that has Dungeon Mastered PnP in the realms fo nearly 30 years and know there is so much more potential this game could utilize.Id like the Devs to consider this , instead of Cramming content into this one corner of the world, give us the true D&D Forgotten Realms experience and give us some of the other great Areas of this very detailed game world,I really enjoy Neverwinter and Thank you for all your hard work. but how sweet it would be to explore some other areas of this vast world. (Forgotten Realms Online)

Comments

• mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    +1
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    Paragraphs please.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    This is why I cringe when I see people say they want to go to Ravenloft.

There's so much lore in Toril the options are limitless. Ravenloft is great but we don't see even a fraction of a fraction of the scope of the Forgotten Realms Setting. I could list out a million and one great options to go to on Toril and that really isn't an exaggeration.
  • icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    I recall when I play AD&D 2nd edition with my mates in mid 90s... those +1 weapons were so rare and precious... the lightning bolts were super scary and the dragons are defintely something you want to avoid... but in this game they are all lol... ;\
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User

There's so much lore in Toril the options are limitless. Ravenloft is great but we don't see even a fraction of a fraction of the scope of the Forgotten Realms Setting. I could list out a million and one great options to go to on Toril and that really isn't an exaggeration.

The problem is the game is called Neverwinter, not Forgotten realms. The focus will always be centered on one little part of the world as opposed to the world at large.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    morenthar said:

I rocked 2nd edition in the early-mid as well.Just having a magic weapon was a big deal. I had DMs that didn't like to start at higher levels.

That's fine. I had the most fun when we started at 10 with a different DM. He was also the best out of all the DMs I've played with. Eventually getting a vorpal sword and personally beheading the antagonist was quite satisfying. Those were the days.:)

Yeah, even in NWN that first magic item was always a groundbreaking moment even in most UGC which was focused on a level 1-20 character development.

I still remember the first time playing Baldur's Gate and finding that first belt. In the initial version of the game magic items didn't even light up to signify they were magical so I was just so excited I got my first ever belt and threw it right on my character. Poor me suddenly lost a few items below the waist and gained a few items at chest level until I acquired a thousand gold to pay a priest to help me out. Good times. :D

The problem is the game is called Neverwinter, not Forgotten realms. The focus will always be centered on one little part of the world as opposed to the world at large.
    Sadly very true but my point was more intended as 'I'd rather leave this portion of the map than go to a different setting.'
    To me it's sort of like having the entire Star Wars setting to explore and asking to cross over into the Star Trek Setting instead. ;)
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    morenthar said:

Back to the potential.....

I have to continually remind myself that the Dev Team is only partially responsible for our disappointment. I actually think, as far as I can perceive, that the current team working on this game is better than solid. They might even be really good, but the middle management and directional voices of PWE are highly detrimental to the player experience.

Agreed. It's the management of the game. I can't say the Dev team is good or not, I can't really tell through all the curve balls the game throws, like the recent coal ward fiasco (just raise the price!) to the wisp of content in each new mod, etc. But it's the management that has to come up with the resources and make the (often poor, or unfriendly) decisions we've been seeing.
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User

morenthar said:

Back to the potential.....

I have to continually remind myself that the Dev Team is only partially responsible for our disappointment. I actually think, as far as I can perceive, that the current team working on this game is better than solid. They might even be really good, but the middle management and directional voices of PWE are highly detrimental to the player experience.

Agreed. It's the management of the game. I can't say the Dev team is good or not, I can't really tell through all the curve balls the game throws, like the recent coal ward fiasco (just raise the price!) to the wisp of content in each new mod, etc. But it's the management that has to come up with the resources and make the (often poor, or unfriendly) decisions we've been seeing.
    Quality of the development team is easy to identify. Skilled and reputable developers would not work for this management. Companies like this is where people go to get their start in an industry or where they go to die. It's really that easy to figure out.

You don't look at corporations and go the management is terrible but the engineers are great. One problem follows the other
  • arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    I'm glad to see some that I've never seen before mentioning interest in the Foundry. I might go dust in there for a while so it doesn't pile up. (That's a metaphor meaning I have unfinished quests I should go work on...)
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • throsbithrosbi Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    One of the Dread Ring instances there is a much larger map of the land. When it was first released there was much speculation of expansions, more places to go etc.

Fast forward to today and unless it can be fit into the main map with a round magnifying glass lens I doubt we will see new locations.
  • yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    having potential != ability to reach said potential
  • tomerant#1526 tomerant Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    arabatur said:

Paragraphs please.

What he said...
    I stopped reading after 2 lines.

• klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I've heard this line so many times before..
    "ah this game has so much potential"
    and every time I heard it, it didn't spell good for said game...
    If I had an euro for every time I've read it on a Warhammer Online forum, I'd be a billionaire by now (hyperbole).

Honestly, I think this game reached its summit at module 4 and I don't see it reaching those heights ever again. Not saying the game is bad, or that it's getting worse, but the fact is that the improvements are coming in very small doses and sometimes they're also offset by some bad decision and, so far, the new content has been nothing exceptional (imho mod 8 content is truly bad). You have to realize that the rest of the world does not stand still to watch Neverwinter and the potential will be gone for good when another similar title (with fantasy lore) with similar F2P model, but with better development, is released.

Another thing: this game was originally planned to be a co-op multiplayer for small-sized content.
    It's only when PWE came in and bought the title that it was turned to a MMO, but even to this day, we can see that it's having trouble dealing with this: only one 25 man raid and it's a complete mess that's not even worth running anymore, zone instances limited to 40 or so players, most of the content being solo or 5man, zones that still lag like no tomorrow ecc....
    The original design is clearly still there (in part) and I can't see, for the life of me, this game expanding to become a truly large mmo with lots of towns/regions/continents ecc, at some point they even had to remove content!
  • aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    throsbi said:

One of the Dread Ring instances there is a much larger map of the land. When it was first released there was much speculation of expansions, more places to go etc.

Fast forward to today and unless it can be fit into the main map with a round magnifying glass lens I doubt we will see new locations.

Yes, the one where you go to Thay, which is actually quite far from Neverwinter. If they can justify portals taking you there, there's no reason you couldn't visit Waterdeep, Myth Drannor, Shade / Anauroch, Vaasa and Damara, Chult, and so on. The possibilities are endless.

Sadly, funding isn't.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,492 Arc User
    What I would like to see is how the size of the development team has evolved over time.

Looking at the last few mods, they keep getting ever smaller, in particular on the world building front. Look at DR, Sharandar, IWD, first WoD .. all had at least one big overland zone and several smaller instances.

It seems something happened after WoD, mods now have considerably less new world in them. Even Elemental Evil to a large extent was recirculated old zones, just one zone in EE was really new.

It is not unusual with these games that the size of the dev team is slashed as game income declines over time.
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    no endcontent except a c.rappy PVP system will not keep the player stick with this game any more.
    They got so much time to balance and fix stuff, they wasted all for new c.rap mod/gear.
    It is so painfull and embarrassing to see things becoming worse every mod, no clue what these guys got on their mind ignoring player base consequently.
    download at 34%...byby my money flows other directions