test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sword coast adventure (gateway)

ellnoellno Member Posts: 10 Arc User
edited February 2016 in Player Feedback (PC)
Hello,

I just want to give my feedback on this. I am playing the lvl 6 with 2 lvl 30 and 2 lvl 35. I have failed something like 8 times and succeed only 2 times. However I play smartly, using the companions for the tests they are good for. I keep easy tests for later if I am kind of stuck with unappropriate companions. I have quite complementary companions for these adventures. And there is written lvl 26-30.

Personally I don't really like totally random games like this. It is not the point, many people may like it. And well I play it, and I even enjoyed it at the beginning, while it was relatively easy, while I was doing lvl 1 to 3. But I think that at least the lvl 6 is to hard. Not funny to spent so much time to try my best, and fail because it is so hard that I am supposed to lose most of the times whatever I can try. Sometimes I don't even reach the second place of the keep... Even with over leveled companions.

I don't mean to down massively the difficulty, but maybe just a few, so it could stay a pleasure and not a corvee.

Comments

• mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    i was playing with 2 ble 3 epic and never expierenced so bad luck like you have. i always reach last boss with 2 bars at worst scenario.
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    The epics are based on 9 dice requirements. For example 27 shields. That's 9x3. You have 9 dice, so even if you have a comp. without any combat crit dice, you could still win with a lot of luck. With terrible rng atm. for anything worth getting, given the time it takes to clear.

I'd prefer it if they created a legendary version, based off 10 or 11 dice, but with much better rng amd perhaps including the new adorable gear in the loot tables, and a better chance for the thief. I've put in 100s of runs over the years, and never gotten one.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    I run the level 6 dungeon with a mix of rare and epic companions, and I never fail to finish it. You are using some bad strategy, or you don't have a good mix of pets.

The chests in each level usually require high Perception rolls, so it is important to have a high Perception companion such as Sprites. I usually run with specialized companions -- so each has 3 or 4 dice for Magic, Perception, Combat, or Thievery -- but some people do well with 4 mixed companions. Rust Monsters are a good example of a non-specialized pet.

Sometimes you will hit a level where most of the fights require a single type, usually Magic. After you use your high-Magic companion you face losing 3 fights in a row. If you only do the minimum number of fights to move through levels and expose chests, you should have a bunch of encounters in earlier levels, so go back to those and use your other companions there, rather than failing on your current level. Eventually you will open up a few encounters that are non-Magic, and you will be able to complete that level.

Similarly, if you reach the end fight and it requires for example high Combat, but you've already used your high-Combat companion, go back and do easy encounters on your other companions until you've cycled through everyone and can use the Combat companion for the boss fight.

• xeguevaraxeguevara Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    i use 2 lvl30 and 2 lvl 35 and most of the time i sucessfuly finish SCA lvl 6 with all boxes. Maybe it is the team you are using. I use Wererat thief for Keys, Lillend for Magic, Rust Moster for shields and/or miscellaneous encounters, the last one i use is the Cat just because i don't have anything else. Cockatrice might be a good addition beacuse of the high amount of Perception to open the boxes. The rest is RNG and praying to the gods.
  • ellnoellno Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    darkstarcrash : I already do the same than you.

But maybe my companions suck, I don't know. I have one specialized in thievery lvl 35, one in defense / perception lvl 30, and two (lvl 30 + lvl 35) who have high magic, but quite high perception to.
    Well if my companions suck, this is totally unbalanced then -.-
    Maybe I had bad luck to, it can happen for only 10 games. That is why I don't like games so much based on random. Nothing to do to counter bad luck, just undergo it.

I guess they won't work on it if I am the only who has troubles. I may stop this mini game then, as it makes me angry for nothing as I fail most of the times. Losing time.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Some companion combinations are easier than others, but I do find that more than one with really high magic is usually overkill, unless you get one of the maps that's all portals as your first. I don't like to play with more than one companion with low combat dice, because they can end up very limited for challenges they can beat easily.

Angel, black ice prospector, cockatrice would be a good lineup of budget epics. A lot of the cheaper epic companions don't have enough combat dice, in my opinion, though the wildcard dice help make up a lot of shortcomings. For chests, you are safest having your companion with the highest perception also have the lowest combat. Could use a wererat to round out.

While the dice rolls are luck, matching companions to challenges, deciding when to use dice or try for a re-roll, even backtracking in order to get past a specific companion's rest period... there's a lot of strategy.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    companions i used for epic tier 6 dungeons.

battle medic for keys, wardog/wolf for shields, choice of lilend/angelic for spirals/magic, and for the 4th for 'starburst' icon with my Pheora.

what this tier 6 really need to add a random amount of companion upgrade tokens for at least 2 to 5 tokens per visit, one time a day, preventing over-farming for tokens.
    this would allow a slow growth for companions to level up tiers.

so far, i have 2 legendary pets and enough epic pets.

i still trying to get that most elusive companion, footloose thief, he hard to get, and only known to be found in one of 2 black dragon's treasure rooms.

edited to add, Fawns are also very good for tier 6 dungeons, they are most balanced with 4 dice icons, i would recommended make them to epic/legendary for better dice rollings.

higher they ranks, more "wild cards" they have for rolls.
    Anyways, when I lose a full combat test with my companion who has full combat attribute, then I lose a full perception test with my companion specialized in perception, I can't do better. And no I am not the dumbest guy on the earth, I reroll too only when it advantages me.
    I just did a last try. And lost the last boss 2 times with my best companion lvl 35 according to the test, and fail the dungeon. With 6 dices, he was not able to get 3 shields while he has 70 in combat (his second best attribute). I mean one dice could have been enough for 3 shields.

Definitely not my kind of game. I spent 15 min or more, I see all the loots, then "no dude, you have such bad luck, you lose everything". If I would not spent so much time, it would be OK, but here I better farm monsters in the real game, I would get more loots, without any chance to lose them. This game is totally pointless for me.

If need lvl 40 companions, why is there written lvl 26-30 ?
    I say bye to this mini game, before to be very angry.
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Smith for keys, cockatrice for stars, skull for general, phoera or birdie for squiggles. All except birdie for shields.

Very hard too fail, but the rewards rng is brutal, used to play a lot, but now, couple of times a week if I've some time to kill that refuses to die in any other way.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • throsbithrosbi Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    jonkoca said:

Smith for keys, cockatrice for stars, skull for general, phoera or birdie for squiggles. All except birdie for shields.

Very hard too fail, but the rewards rng is brutal, used to play a lot, but now, couple of times a week if I've some time to kill that refuses to die in any other way.

This made me laugh. A nice chuckle in the morning to start my day. ;)
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    the wardogs/wolves do have highest numbers for shield dices.
    Yes and it is sad when he fails a full shield test -.-
  • throsbithrosbi Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    jonkoca said:

"..... used to play a lot, but now, couple of times a week if I've some time to kill that refuses to die in any other way.

Forgot about this and when i ran across it again i sprayed coffee lol. :p

I must remember this, should add it to sig :o