test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What level Graphics do you run at?

torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
edited February 2016 in General Discussion (PC)
Wondering what level of graphics you run NW at to get the 'most' out of it? The reason I ask is because they've put all this work into making the dungeons "look pretty", when I've been running on 'minimum' ever since the graphic lag from that PE invasion event. Not to mention Tiamat.

Side question: In dungeons do you even notice which way the light casts from the windowpanes? or are you pulling all the mobs to the next door just to nuke them?
NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
Thanks for all the fish.

What level Graphics do you run at? 111 votes

I have a great video card and I make it work. Full graphics, Max everything.
48%
drogethvalwrynmicky1p00sockmunkeywarpetzebularhfleettvcityambisinisterrsilvergryphchartos#6469arcofortep12arabatursolbergxskuggros1buzzardsbaitrickcase276callofkutulumanoftwilightcerberusxll 54 votes
I have a great video card but NW is poorly optimized, so I run everything on Low to get the best performance.
16%
forsakenone195silence1xmynaamhyakusekaiwardenpowersoliboyphlooomisicyphishrhoriangelustorontodavejosephskyrimsilverheart97namelesshero347someonediesdeathbeezflamehellogbk17freezzzzing 18 votes
I have a mediocre video card, but it tries its best. Medium graphics, some extra.
16%
roller300xxdebbyxxperegr1nusdll32exestarbigamobioshriketousseaujiubiizeekkfreakywazzytripsofthrymrkyouka5tebancisnerosianthewizard2012gleichgewichtnwtrill34duryntewildfirederazoe1994 18 votes
I have a laptop. What are graphics?
18%
zekethesinnerissssshosantralafaxdefiantone99mrrb2000araneaxmok33putzboy78rinat114neopssssscilginordekckotoc666liliabellgabrieldourdenlabruswentrisastreossfatgunscellablockxeguevara 21 votes

Comments

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2016
    I chose the first option and while I do have almost everything maxed, I do run with Post Processing and Bloom disabled and on 2x Anti-Aliasing. The rest maxed though, I average anywhere between 50-60 FPS. If I do ever notice a drop in performance (not lag), I'll disable shadows (not shader quality) temporarily and all is well again.

Processor: AMD A10-7800 R7m 12 Cores (4C+8G) 3.5 GHz, 64bit
    RAM: 8GB
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7770, 2GB GDDR5

As CPU and RAM are what play the highest roles in gameplay, I do plan on doubling my system RAM very soon as the rest of my system is just fine for the time being.
  • yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    google : gaming laptops
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    I've got a pretty good laptop and have most options cranked to max, and all are near max.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    i have 950m laptop and all is on high at me only shadows and aa are of ,works ok even better the it used to work on my old 550ti desktop so laptops can be nice for mmos to
  • mmm1001mmm1001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 497 Arc User
    I choose 1st option, because there is no correct one. I have great videocard, but because NW is badly coded, I have to reduce some of parameters (as suggested by cryptic devs) It is not video card lack of performance, but cryptic engine lack of development.
    Still most parameters are at max, just World Texture detail and Character texture detail need to be reduced to < 100% (from 200 max) otherwise textures are not loaded or loaded too slow.
  • looomislooomis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 253 Arc User
    I have a great video card but NW is poorly optimized, so I run everything on Low to get the best performance.
    PVE on max, PVP on lowest. I haven't changed my settings to low since 6 months... :(
  • solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    I run most of the game at max settings with 30fps, but some places like PE and sharandar go down to 15fps, so i think they should be optimized.
    I run other similar games at 60+ fps wich its weird

My specs:
    Processor AMD FX 6300
    Memory 8GB
    Video AMD R9 270x 2 GB
    OS Windows 8.1 6abit
  • flamehellflamehell Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    i use a titan but i dont see any reasons to play a HAMSTER graphic game at max. i dont need to see the holes that are badly scripted in the floor in protectors enclave in ultra hd or to see myself going through the graphic in high res.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    I have a mediocre video card, but it tries its best. Medium graphics, some extra.
    I play on both a desktop and a laptop. Neither machine is high-end, but I can tweak the settings to get the game looking good and running smoothly.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    On a Titan-X, i7-5930K, and 16GB ram in quad-channel, my HEs look like this most of the time.

Just terrible. A rig like this should be able to run any game at max settings. But not this three year old game. Seems like the code is optimized for low/mid range PCs. The beefier your system, the worst your gfx performance is.
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User

On a Titan-X, i7-5930K, and 16GB ram in quad-channel, my HEs look like this most of the time.

Just terrible. A rig like this should be able to run any game at max settings. But not this three year old game. Seems like the code is optimized for low/mid range PCs. The beefier your system, the worst your gfx performance is.

Ditto.
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    There isn't an option for "potato with a stick of RAM".
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Used to run max, well still is, but post-processing is kept off. Since the latest module the game causes my GPU to heat up even more than before now. Every other game is fine, even Tera runs cooler....
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User

<::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    bioshrike said:

Unfortunately, that about describes my laptop. HD failed once already, screen duct taped because of a stuck hinge....blah blah blah

ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    I have a gaming laptop with a graphics card. Nvidia M880. I run at all minimums to avoid lag. I cannot even render he lava in elol and often times i'm shooting at the floating damage bar over mobs and not the mobs themselves because they don't render. When i do turn up the graphics and stand still Neverwinter looks great ;-)
  • mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    When in WOD, Dreadring and IWD I am forced to turn my graphics down. The lag just gets unbearable. On certain maps like Sharandar I can turn the graphics to max and have no problems.
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• ckotoc666ckotoc666 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    I use an old laptop.And in summer i can use it as a toaster too.Especially if i dont use a cool pad.
  • labruslabrus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 18 Arc User
    Well, i have a kinda good laptop(a bit old though) so i can run smoothly at the higher parts of medium if my room temperature is below 15 °C, otherwise i have to go for the lower end of medium to avoid overheating
    Team Fencebane
    Belphegor Fiendspawn and Ragnar Lodbrok to yer service
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    warpet said:

i have 950m laptop and all is on high at me only shadows and aa are of ,works ok even better the it used to work on my old 550ti desktop

its known NVidia bugg reduce textures to some 80% on advance setings there wont be any difference on graphic quality but this no textures loaded bug will be fixed
  • duryntedurynte Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    My graphical settings are everything to minimum, hide minimap and questtracker, hide all the names and health bars and gildnames and enemy names and and and ... just hide everything that is hideable. Except for the rendered world of course. There are some technical reasons for this, but more important, I don't like to be distrackted by lots of unimportant stuff. For HEs and dungeons I turn off the sound, because the mass of it is just anoying. I wish I could cut down those hilarious adding graphical effects, don't want to see blimblim Mary Sues and Gary Sues, where my premiere example was this HE in Spinward Rise: The visuals effects added to a big white blob, whence nothing could be seen anymore, and so I felt my character entitled to the "blinded by light" title, where you just hit anywhere hoping to target something not to be seen anymore.

One of my premiere reasons for enjoying NWO is the beautiful rendered atmosphere of the phantasy world. When I solo, I solo most of the times, I enjoy envorinment sound and the look of strange worlds.

Dungeons: In pug, I like to pug because ... reasons, everything is about speed and DPS. They could cut the dungeons to single color polygon maps and the mobs to cubes, would not make any difference.

Foundry: Quite the opposite. I appreciate every effort that as gone into designing foundries and story. I usually spent much more time there than has been stated to be average. I want to get a feel what the author has had in mind and delve into the outlines of the story ahead.

Finding my ways around the black pearl was HUGE fun, much more fun than any of the grind offered by the regular item rewarded content. Thank you again for sharing it!

edited February 2016
    durynte said:

Foundry: Quite the opposite. I appreciate every effort that as gone into designing foundries and story. I usually spent much more time there than has been stated to be average. I want to get a feel what the author has had in mind and delve into the outlines of the story ahead.

Finding my ways around the black pearl was HUGE fun, much more fun than any of the grind offered by the regular item rewarded content. Thank you again for sharing it!

Aw thanks!!@ =D I have 2 spelljammer quests up, and a new one that's going to be my contest entry.. ;D If you search @torontodave you can find it and play it ! =D

As for the graphic issues discussed in this thread.. Maybe we can get a dev to acknowledge the divide between 'performance' and 'pretty'? ;D @asterdahl @lcdrmiller

Thanks for all the fish.
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    I also agree with what @magenubbie said.

I chose the first option because I think my card is great and everything is maxed out. However, my card is an old NVIDIA GTX470. I run Windows 10 at 64 bit with 8GB of RAM, and the game and OS reside on a small (128GB) SSD. I run with full graphics, everything maxed.​​
  • hyakusekaihyakusekai Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15 Arc User
    My GPU is sleeping while I play this game.
    It is like old game that bound almost all its work to CPU.
  • deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User
    Been playing in the lowest possible settings since mod 4.
  • manoftwilightmanoftwilight Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    My rig(verified with 3dMark):
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6435557

ASRock Z87 Fatality Killer
    i7-4770k
    32gb Gskill Ares 1866
    2xSLI MSI 980ti

I run the game everything maxed, 1440p. Framerate is fine unless I am in city. Very poor utilization of resources on this game. Still relatively new to the game though, so I am having fun despite it.
  • josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    I used to use default settings until Sharandar came out, since then I've switched to everything as low as possible because the difference to the gameplay is amazing: ie. I can actually fight and evade properly now. :P Every so often I try go back to the default (mainly when I used to make foundry quests to try make things pretty) but find it still starts lagging me out so, lowest EVERYTHING for me.

Yes, people look like very rough stick figures at more than medium distance and disappear entirely at "just outside archer range" but I prefer performance over looks.
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
  • throsbithrosbi Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    I have an ancient pc by todays standards with a few upgrades. It came with a sempron single core cpu and i dont even remember the onboard graphics. I upgraded the processor to a quad core 3.0+ghz and gtx750ti nvidia card. Still run the old ddr2 4gram. I was using a nice SSD when my hard drive crashed but went back to an old 320g mechanical hard drive. The SSD is for more important uses in another pc.

I have everything on max with no issues. I get the normal issues in IWD and what not and in group content I usally hit the default settings because I have had some issues here and there. I do this more as a precation so the group doesnt suffer from me. I have HAMSTER internet thats barely better than dial up, so i do know that plays a part as well.
    This is Hoehrengoth on a Dragon Herald run. Do you see him? [all low settings, high settings would be unplayable.]

Thanks for all the fish.
  • muratttimurattti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 417 Arc User
    REALLY Nw Optimization bad why . i run full screen everytime good fps run press alt tab down client . need fix fullscreen mode run neverwinter i cant touch refresh rate, fps maximize window 60 fps run blah bblah blah

you can test go fullscreen mode and max window mode 1 ms i have monitör i cant play fullscreen. FPS is a big difference in the 2-screen mode, but problematic.

my derp pc.
    amd fx 8350
    8gb 2133 ram
    msi gtx 970
    asus motherboard.
    h100i.