test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Developer Blog: Return to Castle Never

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
Orcus, Prince of Undeath, has come to Castle Never—and he’s looking for a new pet.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9796503-developer-blog:-return-to-castle-never

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Comments

• bertrandxbertrandx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    Those two new boss mechanics look cool on paper to me! Waiting until mod9 live release to try it out!
    Bert - Lv70 pathfinder trapper. How's sunny california?
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Looking forward to this a lot!
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • krymkackrymkac Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Screw this. GIVE US GOOD OLD CN BACK! Seriously enough of recycling of old maps into "new" content. Not to mention what we have on preview under castle never disgise looks like demon heroics stitched together =S With 2k itl enter reqs. And its at least 3 times shorter than the old one. With 5 times fewer enemies. We could travel to Abyss for a change to fight demons. To enter a completely new dungeon. Cause... really... last dungeon we got was elol if y can call this 10 min corridor a dungeon. And that was mod 4. Four mods later and MC is the only real dungeon we have. With bonus areas and hordes of mobs. Rest was turned into boss to boss corridors with all the bonus stuff cut off.

I recommend new players who never got to do CN and other dungeons they removed with mod 6 to look for old youtube videos. To see what this game used to be like and what they are trying to feed us with calling it an amazing new content.
    Post edited by krymkac on
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    Is Neverwinter turning into a platformer?
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • kaenkirakaenkira Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    2 hours+ long dungeon vivisected and returned as a 30 min long shadow of it's former self... Since when is regression a good thing???
  • nealbeatnealbeat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 41 Arc User
    For new people who doesnt know about old CN have a look at this and then share your opinion
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EPHgecQCuA
    CN was unique before all the Heroic encounters we have now.

Back on topic ,the new bosses are good so far but i'll prefer they get their own dungeon instead, just dont mess around with CN i know many people dont want this revamped one, instead of changing content just bring it back as it was. What you are doing so far is transforming dungeons in skirmishes/Heroic encounters.
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    Defeating Cthylar requires keeping one eye on the terrain above you to avoid a messy death.
    I wonder how annoying this will be for classes that cast a lot of ground circles. I put my cleric on hiatus because I was tired of staring at the floor. Swinging the camera from floor to ceiling and back again over and over sounds like a headache.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • weaver936weaver936 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 443 Arc User
    You guys have DEFILED and gutted a CLASSIC and Precious part of Neverwinter. CN was once the high point of NW end-game content and now it's just trash. It's a shame that the devs do not learn from their mistakes and keep ruining even the good things about the game content. Ad changes, Mount Changes, adding the SH and changing the que system is all GREAT changes.. but actual fighting content... it's all abyssmal and what hope that the old glory would return to NW fighting content is gone. This "new CN" is nothing like what once was in Mod 5 and the Devs seem to think that's a good thing. Please don't trash the other Mod 5 old dungeons the same way..
    “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!”

― Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

Guild Leader of Ardent Justice HQ: Always recruiting People not Pixels.

FOUNDER and OWNER of the SKT3K Channel: SKT Only Content 3k+. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228278/skt-content-for-the-non-elite-video-links-provided
  • dugakrumdugakrum Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    The 1 eye with flinging arms kinda reminds me of some DOOM Characters from ID ??
  • ionvnegativoionvnegativo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 119 Arc User
    the former version was superior, seriosly cryptic, ftw are you doing???
  • averisharynaverisharyn Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    with a bubble paladin it will take 10 mins and is a boring dps burn like all the other "epic dungeons." *yawn*
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    I really do not understand the mental process that led anyone to conclude this is what the players wanted when they asked for epic dungeons to return.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2016

I really do not understand the mental process that led anyone to conclude this is what the players wanted when they asked for epic dungeons to return.

I don't know what it is about, but it isn't about what players wanted, what had been promised (dungeons would be tuned for 70s content), or what anyone had asked for.

Same for making previous epic dungeons now levelling dungeons. It was nice to update the artwork, but not required for the job at hand. Levelling dungeons, really??

• aleblainaleblain Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 76 Arc User
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="beckylunatic">I really do not understand the mental process that led anyone to conclude this is what the players wanted when they asked for epic dungeons to return.</blockquote>

EXACTLY!! I read them, then look to the distance and think: "Are they kidding?".

"Castle Never has been completely revamped! The length and flow of the map have been streamlined for a mor compact thirty minute dungeon experience". Ppfffff... I will no explain what we both players and devs know. We want adventures, no the crâp you have been doing! Day after day, you remind us of politics more than a videogame company... so sad!
  • theoddis1theoddis1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 353 Arc User
    how dare you call that castle never...
  • vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    looks like you guys totally nailed it
  • kuppelknechtkuppelknecht Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    unbelievable.....
  • sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    This dungeon looks very very impressive.
    Demon hordes + Tal’gath the beholder + Cthylarr the Illithilich + Orcus, Prince of the Undead !!!!

This may be one of the best new dungeons since 2013!

There is only one problem, but fortunately, it's a small problem.
    To avoid confusion, you should not use the same name as another dungeon (including removed dungeons).
    Instead of using the name "Castle Never", let's use a different name such as,
    "MalaOrcus" or "OrcusBog" or "Orcus's Tower" or "Orcus Lair" or "NeverOrcus" or "Castle Orcus"

One more thing, please remember to bring back the old epic dungeons, including epic Castle Never.
    We haven't forgotten about those old dungeons, especially epic Castle Never.
    It's been a long time since we got any news about the old, removed epic dungeons.
    edited February 2016
    One problem with your theory. This "one of the best new dungeons since 2013" uses a part of the old cn map (ends where old cn 2nd boss used to dwell) minus all the bonus/hidden areas... area y still can see through cracks in the walls/windows/whatever. Just no way to get there. Yeah so "new" so "awesome"... mixture of demon heroics with primitive boss mechanics. 30 min? For solo run maybe. For a decent group - 10 min at best. And the fact it uses castle never map make the chance of getting old cn with undead hordes and dracolich plus all the secrets nonexistent. Behold elol take 2.
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    krymkac said:

One problem with your theory. This "one of the best new dungeons since 2013" uses a part of the old cn map (ends where old cn 2nd boss used to dwell) minus all the bonus/hidden areas... area y still can see through cracks in the walls/windows/whatever. Just no way to get there. Yeah so "new" so "awesome"... mixture of demon heroics with primitive boss mechanics. 30 min? For solo run maybe. For a decent group - 10 min at best. And the fact it uses castle never map make the chance of getting old cn with undead hordes and dracolich plus all the secrets nonexistent. Behold elol take 2.

Wasn't elol, albeit short, an original map?
    It was original all right. Just hardly a dungeon. A skirmish at best. Same as this new "castle never". And it looks like all the old dungeons gonna be cut to fit boss to boss corridor format. When if they finally are back in epic version. That what happened to eCC/eTos/eGwd. Grindy grind.
  • sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    krymkac said:

One problem with your theory.

It's not a theory. It's satire.
    Rolf sorry missed sarcasm tag xD NeverOrcus sounds about right
  • ktrelisktrelis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 22 Arc User
    Castle Never has been completely revamped! The length and flow of the map have been streamlined for a more compact thirty minute dungeon experience.
    Why? no one wants it to be cut short? One of the biggest complaints about current dungeons is they are all to short? So who's bad idea was this and when are you going to make a dungeon people actually want to play again?

• ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Know what's really sad? Those new skirmishes are gated behind a time limit. You can do dungeons faster than a skirmish...

WHAT WERE THERE THINKING!?
  • orangebangorangebang Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 55 Arc User
    And the bad developers wonder why people are so negative. Just bring back the old dungeons as is and you'd already have a few happy campers.
  • cambo1682cambo1682 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 164 Arc User
    I would love to run old CN again, that was the epitome of an epic dungeon delve. It was an exciting adventure and in earlier times the pinnacle of difficulty. That was the type of content that created bonds with friends and guildies in game. I shudder to think what this current team has cut out in the name of "streamlining" it. It did not need streamlining, it was awesome as is. Watching this game get butchered over and again into pug bait is like being forced to witness a beautiful classic car driven into a wall over and over again. Ugh.
  • malakut#1916 malakut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    Here's to a better and improved CN experience!! :)
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    RIP undead hordes...

Say hello to more stupid demon muppets. I just love fighting orange yeti, archons with legs, and legless imps....
  • marsambassadormarsambassador Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Yeah. Great. Huh.

Nobody cares. You guys always seem to overshadow your good news with a completely bonehead move that angers the player base and provokes a 20 page thread of rage. Why? Why do you do this to yourselves?