test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] Game Crash to Desktop and Client Freezes.

Comments

• Options
    lithiumghost#3045 lithiumghost Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I am able to login to the arcgames client and the patcher, but when i hit the PLAY button, a few seconds after i get the Cryptic Application has crashed. ANyone know how to fix this? ive rebooted like 3 times and rebooted my router as well.
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Login issue, i have no problem with double-clicking the names, but the game freezes, when i try logging to fast from one character to another.
    My "procedure", i wait for the dragon animation in the background to finish, and then i click on the name of the next character in line, wait again a few seconds, and then just double-click the name and login, and this works... most of the time.

Btw. the login freeze or the game freeze is not picked up from the Cryptic error report program, and it doesn't trigger a force verify either. Not sure if that information is of any help to the Devs...
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    its not limited to neverwinter, even star trek online has similar posts

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1208511/constant-crashing
  • Options
    tantrumusmaximustantrumusmaximus Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    @Zebular thanks for taking the time to take this thread and put some form of official stamp to it.

The thing I fear is looking at your post people are reporting crashes from every aspect of the game which could have existed prior to 11/24.

The main one I keep hearing about (and experiencing myself) is the Gameclient Not Responding after the 11/24 patch. I hate to see this thread turn into trying to fix 30 different seperate issues instead of the one that reared it's ugly head last Tues.

Facts I have aquired looking at all the seperate posts:
    Seeing reports from ATI/AMD and nVidia users so dont think it's video driver related.
    Gameclient.exe not reponding where the game actually HARD LOCKS (supplied many screenshots and others have as well, that exact one) Can happen in combat OR out just sitting idle in town.

This above all started 11/24.

Someone also made a very good point that not everyone comes to report to the forums so you get a fraction of the people experiencing the issues.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Just a thought, but how about removing all those loading or reloading event, promotions or whatever windows from the in game "home page", the calendar and the mission tracker for now?

Feels like all of this is getting way too much...
    Want to know why?
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    Since after my initial posting, the game periodically freezes during heavy combat in a Demonic HE. Happens to several characters so can't pin it on a skill. A few times when changing maps the Game Client would crash, all WoD involved. All this after last patch. :'(
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    May be one of those new rings, or perhaps the healing proc. of the new shirt+pants is causing this?

I had a strange demon HE fight in DR today, at some point it felt like the game was slowing down and close to freezing, then it suddenly felt like fast forwarding a movie, and then it was running normal again...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    Want to know why?
  • Options
    empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    Why are the threads about new crashes that only started happening since tuesday are being merged into a thread started in september?????? It obviously would have nothing to do with those crashes unless someone merged in some prior bad code...these crashes make it unplayable at times and it was fine after launch of underdark. before it was generally when moving between zones...now its happening just wherever and whenever...during HE's...just moving across the terrain not fighting...afk...etc
  • Options
    kikajmkikajm Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I wanted to add my freezing issues since the last post that listed the issues only covers a little of what I have experienced. First this started since the last patch and before then I maybe have frozen a total of 2-5 times ever.

I freeze in combat with no one around, some around, large amounts of people around. In char selection screen double clicking the name, char selecting screen on selecting the toon and clicking enter, switching maps, switching zones, standing still with other people around, standing still by myself, Running in a zone with people around, Running in a zone by myself. Toon with armor and weapon enchants and high graphics with their armor and toons with level 15 armor with no special graphics.

Things I have tried to hopefuly fix it: Selecting Directx9, All graphics set to the lowest possible, Shadows turned off, rolling back drivers, Only application running on the computer is never winter, Launching NW through Arch, Launching NW without Arch.

Again this only started happening after the last patch and before then I would never have issues.
  • Options
    rivodus07rivodus07 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    empalas said:

Why are the threads about new crashes that only started happening since tuesday are being merged into a thread started in september?????? It obviously would have nothing to do with those crashes unless someone merged in some prior bad code...these crashes make it unplayable at times and it was fine after launch of underdark. before it was generally when moving between zones...now its happening just wherever and whenever...during HE's...just moving across the terrain not fighting...afk...etc

I think it's because the original crashes in September are SO similar to the ones that started last week.. the bug was never fixed and now during a new patch it's affecting everyone. Since stongholds was released a select amount of people ran into a bug where if they started fighting any mobs during the game (even training dummies) the game would crash to desktop with the cryptic crash report open. And not being able to fight or kill any mobs the game is now unplayable.

I have done everything from downgrading to Win 7 from changing the hard drives. I KNOW it's something to do with the game itself now.

It's a certain animation or Vorpal graphic.. something in the code of the game is causing the crashes.

Nobody took notice of the original posts about the crashes to desktop.. now that it's effecting everyone someone will hopefully fix this issue now.
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    I do get the occasional CTD but not specifically the GameClient.exe one. That bugger constantly rears its head when I try to play STO. I did wonder if the new AMD Crimson drivers were to blame, but NW plays well and the engine is is the same as STO's.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    rivodus07rivodus07 Member Posts: 53 Arc User

rivodus07 said:

empalas said:

I think it's because the original crashes in September are SO similar to the ones that started last week.. the bug was never fixed and now during a new patch it's affecting everyone. Since stongholds was released a select amount of people ran into a bug where if they started fighting any mobs during the game (even training dummies) the game would crash to desktop with the cryptic crash report open. And not being able to fight or kill any mobs the game is now unplayable.

I have done everything from downgrading to Win 7 from changing the hard drives. I KNOW it's something to do with the game itself now.

It's a certain animation or Vorpal graphic.. something in the code of the game is causing the crashes.

Nobody took notice of the original posts about the crashes to desktop.. now that it's effecting everyone someone will hopefully fix this issue now.
    I was told by a GM that my Transcendent Vorpal weapon enchantment was the reason I cannot even log in on my Control Wizard (see my post above). They said they do not "have a tool" to remove it (and how that would be any kind of real solution is beyond me...they need to actually fix whatever it is they changed/added in the Tuesday 11/24 patch that started these issues).

As to what is causing the ever-more-frequent in-game crashes (which, btw, is also happening in Champions and Star Trek Online), that seems like a server-side issue. Being as many people with varied and sundry video cards are experiencing it, it's safe to say it ISN'T a graphics card issue. And since a lot of people rolled back to DX9 from DX11 (an option I could not even do btw...when I tried, it crashed before even getting into the game), and still end up back here reporting problems, it's also safe to say it isn't a DX issue.

This is a CRYPTIC issue and it requires immediate, focused attention. None of the Zen sales, AD changes or new content matters IF WE CAN'T EVEN PLAY THE GAME. Priorities, please.

The thing that gets me is that my windows 10 gaming laptop dose not have any crash issues until last week when the game started crashing maybe once every hour or so.

I'm not sure if it is the Vorpal causing the crash because I can play the game fine on my laptop and I have a trans vorpal equip at all times ....

This whole thing makes my head hurt!!
  • Options
    hcp316hcp316 Member Posts: 1 New User
    neverwinter has been freezing and crashing for me on: win7/8/10. a good portion of the time is while im in town and there are players spamming chat advertising websites. and i thought in ToS it mentions that you cant advertise or use 3rd party programs. this also happens on the xbox version of neverwinter.
  • Options
    sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User
    So it looks like the patch today will offer some relief (http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9681873-patch-notes:-nw.55.20151123a.3)
    Stability and Performance

Certain combinations of weapons with visual effects, slotted with Enhancements with visual effects, no longer cause client locks or crashes
    Lets hope that this resolves the issue.
  • Options
    bapibasu#5690 bapibasu Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    hi there , in past few day i have that prob and still it's going.
    My PC was AMD FX6300 black edition 6Core , 8GB ram , and NVIDIA 610 with 2GB Vmemory. i know it's can run almost 90% of game in the shop have .
    i did experiment on this prob many time did lot of time formate the OS also . so it's 100% sure it's not the prob with windows 10 or 7,8 or any other OS.

honestly it's a Messing with Direct X and loading Structure on never winter . and it's come past 2 patch before i never face that. im keep crossing my finger and hoping they will fix this soon .

some ppl who want really play this game so badly like me . use this settings

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/neverwinter-graphics-and-performance-guide/print#

im not it's help u much but it's will crash also some time after but it's let u play .

• Options
    l3thin4thl3thin4th Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 198 Arc User
    I will try to describe what happened yesterday with my Guildleader.

We were doing HE in SH. He was with his SW, I was with my pally. Did 5 HE without a problem, while not being in a party (because every time we form one, he crashes).

Then he switched to CW and I switched to HR. He made a mistake and invited me to a party--> he crashed.

He switched to his HR too and started a demonic encounter (the nearest to the castle). I arrived a little later and as soon as I entered the dome-like region, he crashed (client unresponsive).
    He had to force verify and he switched to his TR to do quests in Ebon Downs.

Out of curiosity, I went to Ebon Downs too and and soon ad I arrived next to him, he crashed again. He said that he saw me switch stance and BOOM, client crash.

A little while later, we were both on the same instance of Dwarven Valley, he on the TR, me still on the HR. I tried to repeat everything I did before (changing stance, using powers) next to him and he was perfectly fine. We could not replicate the crash.
    In between, he always force verified the files after each crash.

Lethinath - DC

Fayn Fiddler - HR

Jean Fiddler - OP

Quinn Fiddler - TR

Tre'Davious Flynn - SW

Bogus Skullslicker - GF

Vanhankaupunginselk - CW

Alea - GWF

Noble Misfits

• Options
    mrsspireamrsspirea Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Oh just great, tried to log on after patch hoping it would fix my freeze. Well now i cant get in game, only to my char sheet and no further. At least this way i don't have to worry about freezing since i can't play the game. If this is the fix of freeze.....?
    I actually think i give up!
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I've been updating the other thread. For today's issues, please go there. Thanks.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    necronemesis#4427 necronemesis Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I was having a client crash issue as well on my win8.1 system with an nvidia gtx860m. I wasn't able to play at all. I would log in get in game on a charactor for 30 seconds and it would completely freeze my computer. I have an i7cpu 16gigs ram, and ssd's. I was able to resolve the issue to a point, and what I mean is I crash in a few zones during dragon encounters right after the cut scene. I fixed it to be able to play fairly stable in every other place/encounter by reverting to a graphics driver from march. Game runs great with the exception of those 2 zones and the dragon fights. Long story short, try running a driver from back when the game was running stable for you. Short term fix till Cryptic's dev team can find a proper fix.
  • Options
    mrsspireamrsspirea Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

I've been updating the other thread. For today's issues, please go there. Thanks.

Can you link it pls?
  • Options
    bloodygeorgebloodygeorge Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12 Arc User
    I also have this crashing problem on 4 different computers all different specs. Two have W8.1, one is W7, and one is w10. Two of them have AMD cards, the other two Nvidia They all crash to desktop intermittently for me since underdark launched on all of my characters. But the one that crashes the most is my CW.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    kreatyve said:

A link to the new thread would help, thank you.

Btw. the game still freezes while loading into a new area... and the Cryptic Error Report doesn't take notice of those freezes either.
    I'm playing on Win 7 pro., with drivers and anything else up to date.
    Post edited by regenerde on
    Want to know why?
  • Options
    chunky28chunky28 Member Posts: 1 New User
    > @morenthar said:
    > Thanks for your input, Morenthar! And yes, I mean fight encounters, not encounter abilities. Thank you for bringing up that distinction!
    >
    > I have updated all my drivers, but I'm not sure it's a Windows 10 + Nvidia thing because my husband's comp is the same video card, but under Windows 7 and it started having the same problems. So... not sure on this and what that might mean.
    >
    > Hopefully we get some feedback and some additional folks that have the same issues (NOT login crashes!).
    >
    >
    >
    > Your experience with your husband's comp, as well as other feedback coming in, tells me there is a distinct Neverwinter problem on top the Nvidia/Win 10 issues.

Also have a problem with Win 10 :/