test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Game Broken... Rolling into a Holiday Weekend...

aimeesellersaimeesellers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 342 Arc User
So... with the forums filling up with bug reports about game client crashes and freezes after todays "Patch"... and we are one day away from the start of a 4 day holiday weekend here in the US... I am hoping there is something done ASAP to address these issues before the devs all go off and eat turkey until Monday.

Whose idea was is anyway to patch the game on a 3 day... holiday week?

They have one day to come up with a fix for these issues and get it in place, or I am afraid it isnt going to matter what kind of sale they have on Black Friday.
A'Mie Stormshield (GF) / A'Mie Stormshard (CW)
Play Legit or Quit
PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader

Comments

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    I'm going to regret this. What broke?
  • Options
    fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    Didn't play much but haven't noticed anything after the patch.

The only issue I have is the game freezing on the loading screen. Happens from time to time but does this since a few months.
  • Options
    myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User
    Aside from some lag, certainly not the worst I've ever experienced, in WoD during the Heralds run, I haven't noticed any crash-worthy issues. I'll keep my fingers crossed, though...
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    Haven't crashed while playing in several weeks. I do get the "not responding" crash while switching toons on occasion, but that's nothing more than a 30 second annoyance.
  • Options
    Many are complaining that activating powers is freezing the game client. From what I have experienced it seems to be a graphics issue. I rolled my divers back and it got better... but did not completely fix it. It is also not just affecting the person who activates a power that locks up. For example, Maelstrom is having the effect of crashing anyone who is having these issues, even if they are just near the caster. Several of our guild members are having client freezes in dungeons during combat and are unable to complete them at all.

There are threads in the bug reports section on this all following todays patch. Some are also getting the same client freeze on character selection... also just after todays patch.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1208514/gameclient-exe-stopped-responding
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1208541/client-crashes
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1208523/crash-to-desktop-when-vorpal-is-equipped
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1208526/pc-neverwinter-crashed-five-times-today-in-the-space-of-2-hours
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1208511/pc-random-game-freezes
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1208505/pc-todays-patch-broke-my-game

So its not global... its only part of the players. Maybe a driver compatibility issue. But it worked fine yesterday for everyone... now it doesnt.
    Play Legit or Quit
  • Options
    cerberusxllcerberusxll Member Posts: 387 Arc User
    client freeze for me as well, seems to be on the same character from my experience.
    Cerberus | Scylla | Orion | Makelo | Nemesis | Ares | Artemis | Asclepius | Nyx | Hades | Dexithea | Dolos | Demonax | Athena | Enyo | Medusa | Talos | Alcyone
  • Options
    gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I just crashed while loading into Demogoron and now I cant come back in the game. I did do the file check on startup but still not woking. Game stops responding while loading up into the map. Also tried safemode. Not working.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• Options
    whymushroomwhymushroom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 52 Arc User
    Getting into a party caused to crash my client five times. So I went soloing some, then the client crashed while riding my mount. In the past I almost never got crashes.
  • Options
    xgrandz02xgrandz02 Member Posts: 702 Arc User
    I had several random freezes yesterday,
    the only way to fix it was to close the Game-Client and Restart.

I dont think we will see any fix for this "before" theier Holidays, so start to enjoying it.
    <::::::[]==0 GwF 0==[]::::::> ● Still waiting for the promised Improvement ●
  • Options
    qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    zebular said:

Haven't crashed while playing in several weeks. I do get the "not responding" crash while switching toons on occasion, but that's nothing more than a 30 second annoyance.

I have had virtually no crashes in the game since I started playing it last November. However, since the patch went in yesterday I have had close on a dozen freeze ups leading to total crashes that trigger the Crytic Error Reporting panel in the space of a couple of hours play. All of them happened during Heroic Demonic Encounters in IceWind Dale while running my CW. This is something new that has only started happening since the new patch went in. Prior to that NW has been really stable for me, so it looks like something they fixed has caused a new problem. Nothing has changed on my PC other than installing the new patch, not even any Windows updates, so something in the patch has to be the source of the problem.

• Options
    tantrumusmaximustantrumusmaximus Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    @ejziponken
    I had the SAME issue see below. It took logging in from a different PC to fix it. My whole account was ruined until then. Did all the same steps you did nothing fixed it except that. What sucked was I was in a dialogue with a guild leader about joining their guild and it happened at the worst time left them hanging wondering what happened to me.

@qexotic I share exactly your situation. No regular crashes whatsoever in 2 years. I do like Zebular said experience the not reponding crash changing toons daily to invoke but meh this is REALLY BAD because you cannot do skirmishes/dungeons... I can't even play the game 20m it will even happen just chatting with someone not even in combat.

I am one of the victims of the endless crashing after the patch.

GTX 980 SLI with SLI disabled for this game.
    Windows 10
    i7 new 5000 series
    16GB DDR4

It even froze and locked up while trying to have a dialogue (not even in combat) just sitting in WoD at the invoke area.

When trying to log back in just froze again during load.

Went to other PC was able to log in, and THEN could log back in on the initial PC with the issues.

Then trying to do a Prophecy of Madness locked AGAIN while tanking, then logged back in LOCKED IN 2 SECONDS AGAIN....

I have NEVER in 2 years had this kind of issue with the game. Something happened with this patch that effects "some" but not all configs out there.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Ive had 2 crashes.. but none this morning.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,244 Arc User
    So far, I only have login server disconnect problem which is not a new problem.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    The only thing I can't do is tab out to look at any other programs while in game (I can at the character select screen) or it crashes my game. That broke with mod 7, nothing new from this patch.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    Rolling back to a previous graphics driver may help. Also, one can try updating your graphics drivers if there is a newer one available, as well as running a dxwebupdate check for older DirectX files and then running a Windows Update check to check for DirectX 11+ updates.
  • Options
    dbliidblii Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Was working yesterday and today I cant get past the "Neverwinter" screen just after the "Cryptic" screen after startup. If I leave it long enough it drops to a debug panel and says it cant find all the required game files... Hrm...they were there yesterday!
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User

Has squat to do with graphics drivers, not good to mess with such things unless u actually know what you are doing, it is the game not our graphics, something has been done to cause this as it has never happen before so please stop blaming peoples computer graphics.

If 90% of players are not crashing, there is something specific about your setup, whether graphics card and drivers, or the route the game takes between your computer and the game server, or whatever.

• Options

Has squat to do with graphics drivers, not good to mess with such things unless u actually know what you are doing, it is the game not our graphics, something has been done to cause this as it has never happen before so please stop blaming peoples computer graphics.

If 90% of players are not crashing, there is something specific about your setup, whether graphics card and drivers, or the route the game takes between your computer and the game server, or whatever.

Your % of people this is affecting is way off there... and yes... it is graphics related. You can turn down your settings and it gets better. I rolled back my drivers and it got better.

However... it is nothing wrong with anyone's drivers, GPU's or computers... it is a problem with something that was changed in the game client and how it affects the drivers and graphics cards. If it worked yesterday... and doesnt work today... and the only thing that changed was a new patch? The patch is the problem.

Just because it isnt affecting you doesnt mean it isnt a widespread issue.

Play Legit or Quit
  • Options
    zebular said:

Rolling back to a previous graphics driver may help. Also, one can try updating your graphics drivers if there is a newer one available, as well as running a dxwebupdate check for older DirectX files and then running a Windows Update check to check for DirectX 11+ updates.

Rolling back helped... the newest drivers made it worse. Any ETA on this even being acknowledged as an issue?
    Play Legit or Quit
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited November 2015

Your % of people this is affecting is way off there... and yes... it is graphics related. You can turn down your settings and it gets better. I rolled back my drivers and it got better.

However... it is nothing wrong with anyone's drivers, GPU's or computers... it is a problem with something that was changed in the game client and how it affects the drivers and graphics cards. If it worked yesterday... and doesnt work today... and the only thing that changed was a new patch? The patch is the problem.

And just because it is affecting you doesn't mean it's a widespread issue : |

I mean ffs one of the guys you linked to thinks he's crashing because he equipped a vorpal enchant. Practically every level 70 DPSer in the game would be crashing if that were happening.

I mean all you have to do on a gaming forum to get someone else to say they're crashing is post a thread about crashing. Then everyone commiserates and it HAS to be the games fault when there are a myriad of potential issues that can cause the same problem.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    urabask said:

And just because it is affecting you doesn't mean it's a widespread issue : |

I mean ffs one of the guys you linked to thinks he's crashing because he equipped a vorpal enchant. Practically every level 70 DPSer in the game would be crashing if that were happening.

I mean all you have to do on a gaming forum to get someone else to say they're crashing is post a thread about crashing. Then everyone commiserates and it HAS to be the games fault when there are a myriad of potential issues that can cause the same problem.
    I realize that... and its possibly related.. and worth noting. And no... if it affects his particular graphics card / driver in a way that makes it not want to render the effect... it would only affect him, or a small percentage of people.

Just one of the many issues related to client freezes since this patch.

I am not getting my information about this on these forums. It is a real issue, it is wide spread and it is not rocket science that when a patch comes out, and and things stop working... and the end users have not changed anything... then it was the patch that caused it.

Let's be nice and not resort to name calling. People can provide their input, even if they aren't being affected by these crash issues. Thanks.
    Play Legit or Quit
  • Options
    strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2015
    We're aware of the issue and are looking into it. We apologize for any inconveniences!

edit: Some have said rolling back drivers has made it worse. Please do not do so.
    Post edited by strumslinger on

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• Options

We're aware of the issue and are looking into it. Like a few people have said in this thread, rolling back your graphics drivers may help. We apologize for any inconveniences!

Thank you for getting back to us!!!
    Play Legit or Quit
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    Yup, crashed for first time in basically ever. Did not update my graphics drivers or anything like that.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    zokirzokir Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    It is a character issue for those freezing on the selection screen.
    I've tried multiple different computers and still cannot log onto my main character, only alts.
    I've tried places with different internet providers, restarting computer, re-installing Neverwinter, patching files, safe mode, etc etc.
    zokir.png
    Hyenas@zokir - Essence of Aggression
  • Options
    arkreyllakyrie#1492 arkreyllakyrie Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5 Arc User
    Same here,

Upgraded from AMD's Catalyst Control Center (15.7.) to it's new Crimson Software (15.11)

Game Client crashes every time.
  • Options
    minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    Btw, we have a guildie who is capable of crashing anybody who sees him. He has a very odd and now unavailable weapon transmute from an old dungeon (something like illithid shards), and when this is combined with a perfect or pure vorpal (there was no problem till he upgraded greater to perfect), anybody who sees him crashes. We had fun trying to test which item was doing it and he was working with support when I suspect the person he was working with went off for the holiday.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Could you please sticky this or acknowledge it Cryptic? Happy TG... this occured before my char even was fully logged in... see how the character isnt even fully there yet?

• Options
    edited November 2015
    This bug is really bad and I feel is going to plague us for a long time and here is why... they prob are clueless what causes it... and based on past experience will expect us to somehow address the issue on our PCs... and the main thing that makes this SO bad is that it's "SO INTERMITTENT" that you can play from "1 minute to many hours" before the crash.

I'm not changing or troubleshooting a single thing on MY PC, because it was flawless before the patch.

I have 4 PCs all doing it... on multiple ISPs, whether at work, whether on verizon on laptop. I have nvidia sytems I have ATI/AMD vid cards.

ALL of them do it...

News Flash. Not and issue on our end. It happened day of the patch pretty coincidental.

I think you need to reverse engineer all your changes in this last patch and ask yourselves... which one of those changes would lend to causing issues.

On my corp network we have change management. When changes go wrong, we have a backout of those changes. Sounds like this is something that needs that.

..... AND YAY while typing this post.... it crashes again....

Did you feed the Gremlins after midnight?