test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Coming back to this game from several years

I used to play Neverwinter back at the start before Module 1 and then left right at the start of Module 3.

I was just wondering how this game has changed. I know Control Wizards and Clerics got some "reworks" in some of the early modules, and I know that the Scourge Warlock and Oathbound Paladin were implemented, but is there anything else major (besides the campaigns and new zones)?

Also, one of the reasons I left Neverwinter was that it was very Gear Score dependent. People were very anal about doing dungeons with lower gear score players. Is that still the case, or has this dwindled?

Thanks for the info

Comments

• Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    To answer at least answer your larger question, gear is different. There's a lot more clear progression of content now, instead of seeking out one singular best set. Most of them are based on what stats you need.

But generally you want to get to level 70, then pick up some blue level 70 gear.

T1 dungeons start out where you can earn iLevel 130 gear through drops, or by purchasing with seals (Elements). It can be upgraded with crafting to 132. iLevel 132 gear drops inT2 dungeons, or you can buy iLevel 135 gear from the next level of seals (Protectors). It can be upgraded to 137 via crafting.

Module 8 also has 135 iLevel gear available through the compaign. You buy it with Demon Ichor found from Demonic Heroic Events, Skirmishes or the Demogorgon Fight. You can only get 400 a week, and pieces cost 400-600. It can be upgraded via crafting to iLevel 140, I believe. For someone who doesn't like dungeons, that's probably the easiest route to go.

There's also Guild Strongholds now, which offer up iLevel 140 gear, upgradable to iLevel 142.

As for who does what with who? There's always going to be elitism. Some of the T2 dungeons are very hard, but the T1 dungeons should be relatively tame. You might get people more picky about T2 parties than T1s, but if you get frustrated you can always run Demonic encounters or the new Skirmishes with little trouble.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    Other big overall changes:

1) Plenty of class reworks
    2) Level cap raised to 70
    3) New Artifacts and Artifact gear/powers
    4) Guild Strongholds (think a private zone + castle for your guild)
    5) Massive AD/Economy reworks
    6) VIP Membership

Anyway, tons of stuff. I'd highly recommend just patching up and seeing what you think.

Here's a good "Stuff I wish I knew thread".

If you're totally lost, there's a NW_Newbie channel you can join to look for help.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    escapados2escapados2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 64 Arc User
    As for me game is dying. New mod didn't introduced significant changes to revive it.
    Despite some new things generally game is not revarding, I don't feel same exitement like in first 3 modes.
    Now everything is boring repeatable grinding and to get some significant buffs you need to be a member of the guild.
    Most of locations again are reused ones.
    New campaign scenario was written probably in 15 min.
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    ...grind the infiniGrind(TM)...

Learning the new ropes might be some fun. Once you've learned them, it's same-ol'-same-ol'-boredom. Many of the assembly-line jobs I've had were more entertaining...
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    1. Most of the epic dungeons are gone.
    2. You need vast amounts of many different items to level your gear. We are talking millions and millions of ad worth.
    3. Most guild will require you to spend a portion of your playtime and currency to upgrade the stronghold, so freedom of choice in how you play has become a little more limited if you want to join a guild.
    4. PVP is broken, with no mention of any fixes anytime soon, or even ever.
    5. Playing alts is way too expensive or time consuming. The game has become decidedy alt unfriendly.
    6. HE's are now the new dungeons, so if you didnt like dungeons , you will like this feature.
    7. Repitition is the name of the game here. You must like doing the same few skirmishes, dungeons or adventure areas over and over ad nauseum.

My Advice. Enjoy the leveling experience from 1-60 , because you will never see anything like it again. Once you hit 60. rinse and repeat with another class. This part of the game was when the game was fun. once you pass the "real underdark" portion of the game, you may end up disappointed.

There are no more "old Lems" or "wyndolyn shoosh's" once you leave the real game and embark on what we have at end game.
  • Options
    soltaswordsoltasword Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    skalt112 said:

1. Most of the epic dungeons are gone.
    2. You need vast amounts of many different items to level your gear. We are talking millions and millions of ad worth.
    3. Most guild will require you to spend a portion of your playtime and currency to upgrade the stronghold, so freedom of choice in how you play has become a little more limited if you want to join a guild.
    4. PVP is broken, with no mention of any fixes anytime soon, or even ever.
    5. Playing alts is way too expensive or time consuming. The game has become decidedy alt unfriendly.
    6. HE's are now the new dungeons, so if you didnt like dungeons , you will like this feature.
    7. Repitition is the name of the game here. You must like doing the same few skirmishes, dungeons or adventure areas over and over ad nauseum.

My Advice. Enjoy the leveling experience from 1-60 , because you will never see anything like it again. Once you hit 60. rinse and repeat with another class. This part of the game was when the game was fun. once you pass the "real underdark" portion of the game, you may end up disappointed.

There are no more "old Lems" or "wyndolyn shoosh's" once you leave the real game and embark on what we have at end game.

This pretty much exactly. And if you happen to be a casual player with limited time to play in game, just don't bother. You need millions of AD to progress your character and you can only get that running dungeons, skirmishes, a few weekly quests, and doing pvp. Most all of which is not solo based game play. If you enjoy running solo or you are a casual gamer, Cryptic doesn't want you here. The worst part of it is the almost forced aspect of having to be in a guild. You don't necessarily have to be in a guild, but they have gated a lot of decent stuff behind being in a guild. Which then forces you to join a guild to access it. Seriously, right now, I would just look for another game. I haven't played in months hoping that Cryptic would get the game back in some sort of working order for the solo casual gamer but they continue to show mod after mod they don't want those people in their game.
  • Options
    strous1strous1 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    They changed it from gear level to Ilvl (Item level), which made gear level equipment worthless. Ilvl it the big thing now, complaints of kicking at the end so they don't get to open chest. T2 and below garbage. I am still, I don't really know why, trying to reequip to be able to go back into Dread Rng, Sherander, and Well of Dragons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PnP Red Box DM & Player (74 - ?). NWN + SoU + HotU (4-03),
    NWN Diamond Edition, Neverwinter Nights Complete (NWN + NWN2).
  • Options

I haven't played in months hoping that Cryptic would get the game back in some sort of working order for the solo casual gamer but they continue to show mod after mod they don't want those people in their game.

Then you should actually come back and try the new Module. It's very solo friendly, and a good place for new people to get back in to the game.

The new campaign is extremely friendly to the solo casual gamer now.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    healaryhealary Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    No more gear score now so it can't be gear score dependent anymore. However, mobs are made much harder. Even players with all maxed equipment still complain about it. Translation: it is even more gear dependent although "item level" is used to mask away the negative gear score effects to most players.

Grind, more grind, and even more grind. Rinse and repeat every module. And you don't only need to grind for yourself. you also need to grind for your guild.

Did I mention guild? Forced guilding makes sure solo players and small guilds will meet (or already had met) the fate of dinosaurs.

Even if you are in a guild. You are still a sorry player if your guild is not ranked high enough to make the best gear. As a design developer wrote in his post: players in low ranked guilds can still have fun by supplying the supreme guilds with low end materials. Translation: Come slaves!!! Come Now!!! Give me the materials and I will give you gold so you don't get kicked by your rank 3 guild!!!
  • Options

I haven't played in months hoping that Cryptic would get the game back in some sort of working order for the solo casual gamer but they continue to show mod after mod they don't want those people in their game.

Then you should actually come back and try the new Module. It's very solo friendly, and a good place for new people to get back in to the game.

...it's 3-4 h of storyplot (in wee tiny chunks), then infinGrind(TM) in ad-hoc HE/Skirmish "parties", with no kicking, as it's somewhat easy...

• Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User

It is NOT solo friendly, please stop saying that. Once the rush is over those HE's will quickly become empty again. Leaving anyone who missed the rush without any options. You can not call it solo content if it is completely dependent on following a hoard of other players.

• Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    just for your info, this game isnt 3 yrs old yet, not until end of Jan/early Feb week, the 3rd anniversary in 2016.
    it was the Mod 6 that got nearly destroy this game, forcing to "relearn" and some are still struggling and relearning and some players learned faster than others.
    we are in beginning of Mod 8, saying of new adventures in underdark, but to me, it is all so wrong, it is barely a town base and no "exploring areas" yet. and we still hadnt adventure in underdark. devs had let most of us a big let down, we were expecting all new exploring terrian settings.
    they had shown us "massive drow city landscape", and vast cavern areas teasers and we still not there yet.
  • Options
    chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    I just came back after 1.5 year break. All the epic dungeons are gone. The most interesting thing I saw leveling from 60-68 in the last ~30 hours of gameplay was these kenku mobs that are small bipedal birds. The interesting thing about them was that they cawed. It gave me more enjoyment than the rest of the content I saw and that's not a good thing. Everything else was completely recycled and re-skinned. I have only been doing solo content, where are the dungeons? Help.
  • Options
    soltaswordsoltasword Member Posts: 290 Arc User

You can run solo but don't expect any AD doing that. If you want to level up your gear or get better gear, you need AD which at the moment you have to group up to get. You might get a little here and there but not enough to even mention it. And if you don't have very long to play every day or can play every day, you just spend what time you have in game just running dungeons/skirmishes/pvp/weekly quests to get any AD at all really. When are casual/solo players supposed to play the rest of the game if we have to group up to make AD. I for one would like to play the rest of the game but can't because doing so doesn't make me any AD. Every quest in game needs to give AD, even HE's need to give AD. But they don't.
  • Options

I have only been doing solo content, where are the dungeons? Help.

@chocobofarmer Hit "K". The list at the top left.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Overall:
    It seems the game has lost a lot of players and the associated incomes due to some bad design decisions.
    Some player attrition is anyways natural in an mmorpg, but it seems the process was accelerated in NW.

Lower incomes means development work is notably reduced compared to 1-2 years ago. They still push new updates out each 4th month, but they are smaller and less elaborate. Also bugs fixes and necessary gameplay fixes do not happen, or happen late, another sign of low resources. And when fixes do happen they sometimes miss the target, which shows the devs have too little understanding of their own game. Again probably because of low resources.

While NW might not be dead yet, it definitely is in a downward death spiral. Less income leading to less resources leading to less development work leading to less satisfied players leading to fewer players leading to less income.
  • Options
    yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User

New campaign scenario was written probably in 15 min.

which is like 15 times the amount of time they put in bug hunting and fixing.
  • Options
    solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    I don't really say much of the whining but there are lots of players here that are negative in thoughts, i have seen the numbers and its true that they are less players but focusing on showing bad things about the game wont bring more players, i think you guys should do more constructive criticism instead of whining newbish!!!
  • Options
    solbergx said:

I don't really say much of the whining but there are lots of players here that are negative in thoughts, i have seen the numbers and its true that they are less players but focusing on showing bad things about the game wont bring more players, i think you guys should do more constructive criticism instead of whining newbish!!!

...we did, and we have, and it's all been ignored. Like "No more HEs - they are boring and too many!" or "Mod 6 is absolutely unbalanced." or "Grind is killing the game...", also "Bring back the old Dungeons, please", and "PvP is broken."

Also, players are leaving because the game's not fun any more, not because fifty or so forumites whine to the three or five hundred in total reading these.

Yes, the game still has one of the best combat systems I've seen in MMOs so far - imbalanced as it is. But applying this in like 10 types of 3-5 minute standard situations with differently skinned mobs, dozens of times in a row, day after day, week after week,... ....still gets boring, even if you call them Heroic Encounters. And getting to use MountSimulator(TM) for a minute or two to get to the next identically proceeding HE doesn't ameliorate this. Quite the opposite...

Come again when you have arguments instead of slogans, platitudes, and offences...

• Options
    mok33mok33 Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    "Several" years. Kappa.
  • Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    imo there is a fair bit of unfair doom and gloom in this thread.

Most of the game is soloable - I have 2 main toons - both around 2.7iL (a GF and CW) and they can solo everything except maybe the mini dungeons in WOD (although I haven't tried those since I was 2.5K il).

You can get AD from Arcane Res, Biggrins Tomb and Recovering the Hoard and Portal to Tuern - all can be Solo'd.

They removed AD from leadership and got rid of timed DD and instead added AD to Dungeon Runs and Skirmishes no matter when you do them. This suits the casual gamer if you ask me and those of us without leadership armies. Maybe overall AD generation is reduced (for me it has gone down around 30%) but at the same time the price of GMOPs has been reduced by 75% and Coalescent Wards by 60%. 3 Months ago I couldn't afford a Greater Vorp enchant, yesterday I could because of the price drops and I had spare change to get my GF a Perfect Plaguefire.

Regarding guilds, I am in a guild where there are 3 regular players, we have a level 2 (maybe even level 1) stronghold, are we ever going to max out our SH? probably not, does that prevent me from enjoying the game - no.

Is there lots of grinding - yes, and at times it feels like a drag. But if it was easy and quick to get boons etc. we would get to the end much too quickly and then we would complain that there is nothing left to do.

Ironzerg, gets lynch mobbed every time he says something positive about the game. ffs can't he be allowed to enjoy it without incurring the wrath of the jilted masses??

Regarding the difficulty, Mod 6 was hard mostly because of one-shots, but I was happy for that because my GF got to run Dungeons again and parties needed him. Now the game is back to easy mode for all the areas and we are probably a few months away from all DPS parties burning through Dungeons. Anyone who is anywhere near BIS will be melting mobs like they were popsicles hit with a flame thrower. If anything this game needs much harder areas to keep the high end guys interested but if they do that, ppl will complain.

that's my 2 cents, I'm in no way an expert on this game, but I think its still enjoyable and a f2p player can progress albeit with a bit of grinding (well maybe a lot of grinding).

• Options
    gluggogluggo Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    The game is fine. I enjoy it immensely. I've never known a single game to be bug free. If these posters can name one game that is, or was, please let me know, because I don't know every single game out there, and if there is a perfect game, why are they not playing it?

The content is easily solo-able. As to the person who said players even with the highest IL are complaining it's too hard, that's just hogwash, players in my guild complain the game is too easy, and we only have a 2,500 IL requirement to be in the guild.

The devs are making great changes imo to rebuild the foundation of the game. On one hand, you will have players saying cryptic is only in it for the money (well, they are a company), but I reckon the Devs the changes would cost them some old time players, but sacrificed this for the health of the game.

If you look at the posting history of some of the haters, they have been threatening to quit the game for a thousand posts.

Of course the game cannot keep up in content with the players. No game can. It takes 1,000x as long to deliver new content as it does to play that content. I suggest to those player, try another game, consider that your new content. I am sure there is a utopia game out there that will suit your needs (no?). I love this game and a couple others, but I get bored of them all from time to time and have to switch things up. When new content comes out in the other MMO's I play, I go play it, bugs and all, and enjoy it, the same goes for NWN.

They lowered the cost of many items, the trade bar vendor is great. The new content is new, and I love it. Sometimes the glass is half full, you take what you can, and enjoy it for what it's worth. Market corrections are obvious, and in the right direction.

IMO the devs are doing a pretty good job, but again, if you are looking for perfection, you won't find it here or in any other game that I know of (and if there was a perfect game, the grumpy old men from the balcony really need to go find it and move on, many of us are all quite sick of hearing the same dozen of you hijacking every thread and sitting in PE complaining about the game, discouraging returning players and discouraging new players). Attitudes are contagious, and at this point, the haters are banking on that contagiousness, hoping new players don't join and hoping everyone quits, so they can have their way.

Some of you sound like your girlfriend has broken up with you, and you just can't let go and move on.

All companies have limited resources, and they must prioritize those resources, for some players, their priorities don't align with the devs, and they throw tantrums. I suggest you just try the game for yourself, and see if it suit your entertainment needs.

Best Regards,

An Obvious Fanboi of this and other games.

• Options
    chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    gluggo, people are offering constructive criticism and you are telling them to shut up. You argue it takes resources, but what resources does it take to make the decision NOT to remove content unnecessarily or NOT screw up balance or economy? I came back to this game a week ago, and all my fears of possibly become addicted to the game again were gone when I pulled up the queue menu and saw I had no access to any of the ~8 epic dungeons I used to spam like crazy well past midnight. Leveling from 60-70 over a ~40 hour period, the most enjoyable and new thing I saw was something I heard, the new sound effects of kenku cawing when you fight them. Everything else was recycled or reskinned. If this is the result of 1.5 years of resources spent, I think they should've just not spent any resources at all during that time. And apparently all I have to look forward to in the form of dungeons is 3 epic dungeons, 1 of which I've already done to death. I also think it's very funny pvp domination has had damage reduced by what seems like 50-75%, now people just stand in front of each other hitting abilities while RNG and their gear do all the battling, because it is now just way too slow-paced for strategy to ever trump gear.

Whether people love or hate the game, I'm sure most of us agree that the combat system, bugs and imbalance aside, is amazingly well-done. It is probably what keeps most people in the game and what keeps most people on this forum constantly "complaining" (giving constructive feedback) in hopes of the game becoming more successful. Anyway, I will likely shelve the game again like most people, and hope that someday there will be dungeons to do again and the game hasn't died yet due to the poor design decisions which so many people on the forum have eloquently described in hopes of them being addressed.
  • Options
    banaancbanaanc Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    the combat is still the old fun system, the only thing really still going for this game, but rest has gotten worse every last mod. i just got on after almost 2 months of only opening daily premium chests, i wanted to check the new quests, decided to do arcane reservoir before that, i almost quit midway, ping going from 150 to 700, on a 100mbit fiber, runs at 15 fps despite fresh games running much better, nothing really new, everything is overcomplicated and lacks fun. broken overpowered mounts and stronghold gear doesnt allow me to pvp, no new dungeons since mod2 (LoL is just a glorified skirmish) im really considering giving all my stuff to guild and quitting, though i might wait for next mod with hopes that i can play with my awesome guild again, but atm playing feels about as fun as shoving toothpicks under your nails

if they offered a chance to remove all mod1+ stuff except for classes and the few bug fixes they did it would make for MUCH better game, even with all the exploits and the old refining system, even if there werent many things to do, it was simple and much more fun

• Options
    kozilek1989kozilek1989 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    this game is slow to start,but on each char creation you learn something new and get wiser per a char,also finding a good guild is very much key for information and your char development.
  • Options
    subnoctesubnocte Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    Game is lots of fun until 60. After then it's competing to be one of the grindiest and most repetitive MMOs of all time. The best mods were 1-3, it's got progressively worse since then -- more grind, very little new content, but more ways to spend cash. Once you get fairly decent gear, around 2.5K or so, there's not much else to do except repeating the same dailies in the same places to get a higher gear level. Class balance is awful, PVP seems to be an ongoing dev joke.

I have the most fun just levelling up different classes to 60. For end game progression, go to another game.
  • Options
    lldtlldt Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    subnocte said:

Game is lots of fun until 60. After then it's competing to be one of the grindiest and most repetitive MMOs of all time.

You've obviously never played pre-WoW mmo's. However, I do agree that mod 3 was the last mod where to put in a lot of effort and 0-60 was the best. Then at some point they realized that their peak population was long past and putting in extra effort wasn't going to pay off. Now it's just about producing content that takes the least amount of effort while keeping players busy and spending for as long as possible. I don't think they even hire professional voice actors since mod 3. They're just doing them in house.