test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is the best range DPS class?

I've just got back on NW and trying to figure out what is the best range class DPS right now. Back when I played (During Icewind Dale), control wizard was practically the best. But there's been many changes since so I'm wondering what is the best right now? And also the easiest to solo level with as I don't have a guild or friends to help me level. Thanks. :)

Comments

• Options
    beatannierbeatannier Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 692 Arc User
    There is only one range class in Neverwinter and it's Scourge Warlock (both HR and CW plays melee). And it makes biggest DPS, too.
  • Options
    alphamega#4740 alphamega Member Posts: 6 Arc User

There is only one range class in Neverwinter and it's Scourge Warlock (both HR and CW plays melee). And it makes biggest DPS, too.

CW is full ranged. No melee abilities to my understanding. HR can switch between the two.
  • Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited November 2015

CW is full ranged. No melee abilities to my understanding. HR can switch between the two.

CW uses close range abilities, with the exception of Conduit of Ice and Disintegrate, but you still have to get really close because of Icy Terrain and Steal Time. These 4 encounters are the most used ones.

HR "can" play both. Ranged HR is bad, only viable build is the Trapper, which is melee focused.

Beatannier was right, Scourge Warlock is the only true ranged class in the game.
  • Options

CW uses close range abilities, with the exception of Conduit of Ice and Disintegrate, but you still have to get really close because of Icy Terrain and Steal Time. These 4 encounters are the most used ones.

HR "can" play both. Ranged HR is bad, only viable build is the Trapper, which is melee focused.

Beatannier was right, Scourge Warlock is the only true ranged class in the game.
    Hm. Okay. I used to stay at distance with my CW but with all the updates that very well may have changed. Then I shall continue to level my SW. Thank you guys for your help! :)
  • Options
    caunsidhcaunsidh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User

Ugh... not true, not true at all.

Archery tree can be more than viable in PvE, especially in dungeons.
    As for the trapper, no, trapper is not focused on melee, but on switching stances repeatedly. Combat tree, on the other hand, is focused on melee.
    Therenil - Hunter Ranger, Stormwarden/Trapper
    3.jpg
  • Options
    tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    caunsidh said:

Ugh... not true, not true at all.

Archery tree can be more than viable in PvE, especially in dungeons.
    As for the trapper, no, trapper is not focused on melee, but on switching stances repeatedly. Combat tree, on the other hand, is focused on melee.
    3K Hunter Archery is 2times outdamaged by 2K2 Hunter trapper...

What Else ?

I can't call archery tree "viable" when you can't solo mini dungeons at icewindale or well of dragons even well stuffed
  • Options
    caunsidhcaunsidh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited November 2015

3K Hunter Archery is 2times outdamaged by 2K2 Hunter trapper...

Wow, now that's a bold statement. Would you be so kind to provide ACT parses?

I can't call archery tree "viable" when you can't solo mini dungeons at icewindale or well of dragons even well stuffed

This smells to me like generic bad player's excuse.
    Yes, archery is more challenging while soloing than trapper tree, but something being challenging doesn't automatically make it worse.
    Therenil - Hunter Ranger, Stormwarden/Trapper
    3.jpg
  • Options
    Just answer to this one, are you able to solo the jail at Well of dragon?
  • Options
    commanderdata002commanderdata002 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    edited November 2015

I've just got back on NW and trying to figure out what is the best range class DPS right now. Back when I played (During Icewind Dale), control wizard was practically the best. But there's been many changes since so I'm wondering what is the best right now? And also the easiest to solo level with as I don't have a guild or friends to help me level. Thanks. :)

True!
    Since module 3 they took away shard of endless avalanche dmg source so CW became a melee like fighter. You have to go closer for icy terrain, steal time and storm spell dot dmg.

You can play ranged with CW on pve single target or pvp but again CWs encounters cannot compete with Warlocks high dmg encounters like the spammable Soul scorth, the aoe and single target Dreadtheft, Hadar's Gasp(Entangling Force is a joke compared to this) and Killing Flames.

If you want true ranged then its Warlock!

stock and stone I can master, but there's a Wizard to manage here!
  • Options
    juleadreamjuleadream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    Just feel the need to point out that you really don't need to be THAT close with Steal Time... but yeah, a CW really shines when it's near melee range.
  • Options
    taitinhakkaajataitinhakkaaja Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    SW is quite hard class to solo compared to cw or hr trapper. If have any plans to play pvp forget sw. Sw is really nice class to play when leveling to 60, but things get really hard in spinward until il 2.5k.
  • Options
    zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User

No one else is saying it, so I will. Devoted Cleric is probably the best dps for staying at range (HRs and CWs gimp themselves if they stay exclusively at far range) and being able to solo (SW have serious soloing issues unless way overgeared).

That being said, by making a dps cleric you're completely assed out of pug content due to the retardedness of the dungeon queue in this game.

And since you never said you only want to play a ranged class that can fight exclusively at range and seem to imply you won't be having a regular group to premade endgame content with, probably you'll be better off with CW. That or suck it up and give up on ranged to go with either OP or GWF as they're by far the most soloable and group-desired classes right now.
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.
  • Options
    deceondarkbladedeceondarkblade Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I'm currently playing an SW as my main and I can attest that getting from 60 to 70 was quite painful, deaths in the hundreds, and lots of hoping for random help from passersby, especially in Spinward, when I couldn't group. That said, I really liked the Templock build pre-Mod 6 and stuck with that waaay longer than I should've. For "decent" survivability go with the SB Damnation build, it has decent DPS. I See a lot of people respecing to Fury once they are 70 and decently geared (2k + should suffice with the right gear) to maximize their DPS. I myself think respeccing is a pain and am at least satisfied with my DPS (usually over 100 mil damage in eTOS depending on the party). I'm 2.8k IL right now.
  • Options
    Being IN melee range doesn't bother me. Actually meleeing does, though. I don't like using swords and having people hit me. CW, while you have to be close to use your powers, you can back out while it's recharging and use your ranged at-wills. I don't like playing tank or aggro guy, but I don't mind being in the middle of the fight. I'm okay even being hit, I just don't want to fight with swords and such, just not my playstyle. Thank you all for your help, though. I really do appreciate it. I think I'll continue leveling my CW as I don't mind being in melee range so long as I don't have to actually melee.
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User

hr archery is very strong in a pt which have already control.
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited November 2015

I found more squishy the CW than SW.

The SW isn't a class cannon and that makes it reasonably easy to play. It's a bit safer to play.
    It takes a certain mindset to play glass cannons like a CW. Most non-CWs have a hard time believing it, but those that have played a CW know it's true. You need to have that thrill of being in the middle of combat and knowing -or trying to plan things such- that nothing will never get close enough to be a threat or or you'll never utilize a CW to the max of its potential. Defensive stats on a CW are totally counter-productive. A good CW doesn't even use -or need- shield unless in very specific circumstances where they are at a disadvantage, like bosses who they can't melt away fast enough to remove the threat. The best defense for a CW is a good offense. Or as Ironzerg calls it, "Death is the best Crowd Control".
    sometimes i use shield in epic lostmauth last boss because it goes crazy invisible rocks etc........ or if i want play the immortal to the same boss( my hp never goes down with shield on tab).
  • Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    @mamalion1234 What does a HR offer to the group, an SW doesn't? They are both supposed to be good damage dealers at range, but the SW outperforms the Archery HR by 10x in that department.
  • Options

@mamalion1234 What does a HR offer to the group, an SW doesn't? They are both supposed to be good damage dealers at range, but the SW outperforms the Archery HR by 10x in that department.

Archery HR is no more an efficient DPS class
  • Options
    rottersrotters Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    I love my SW...Ranged we are not due to one thing...we are the aggro magnet kings....we are ranged but not for long. in parties with a good tank then its easy street, massive dps.

Tabatha@rotters // Scourge Warlock // Co Leader // Civil Anarchy

Part of the -Fabled- Alliance

We are looking for non elitist guilds to join our alliance.
  • Options
    I bit the bullet and decided to make an OP. Didn't realize how much fun this would be. Self healing w/ beastly damage? That's easy street. I'm leveling no problem.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    someone still thinks archery hrs are viable in doing anything??? oh god.
    a btw a soulbinder sw is not squishy at all.
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    SB damnation and SB fury from what my ACT tells me, especially in single target damage
    Running : Dragon HE's, SH HE's, Thiamat, T1, T2 and skirmish all time, its allways outdamaging far better geared player due to TT, puppet and SS
    Once you know the mechanic its hard to beat by other range classes
    In case you substract the broken issues of the class its the weakest class
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User

I bit the bullet and decided to make an OP. Didn't realize how much fun this would be. Self healing w/ beastly damage? That's easy street. I'm leveling no problem.

OP is OP. Way too easy to play. My OP is now level 65. Never die once and never drink health potion. I would say this is too OP.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options

OP is OP. Way too easy to play. My OP is now level 65. Never die once and never drink health potion. I would say this is too OP.
    yes and OP is by far the " best range DPS class" , i am sure......
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    ...well, by some quirk of logic, as CW is a melee class in this thread, it is: Divine Judgement is ranged, and Templar's Wrath has 30' range, IIRC, thus exceeding the 20'-ish melee range...

/sarcasm
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    edited November 2015

yes and OP is by far the " best range DPS class" , i am sure......
    I guess you did not check which post I quoted and replied to. OP (as Original Poster) already moved on to OP.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    OK now its more understandable
    Doing SH Dragons OP deals most damage very frequently with his aura
    So its a very good range DPS striker class ...:)