test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC/XBOX] Unexpected Downtime (Resolved)

Comments

• s4v10rxs4v10rx Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    yeap..i did update it and took me 5 to 7 tries to get connected n now the server is haing issues again, unable to connect to game server
    Guild: Asylum
    Character:
    7thS1n---Trickster Rouge LV 70(perma-Stun build)
    7ThH3AL3R-- Devoted Cleric LV 70 (Divine Oracle Haste/DPS build)
    7ThM4G3-- Control Wizard
    7ThW4rL0CK-- Scrooge Warlock
    7THW4R--Great Weapon Fighter
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2015
    There's an issue going on at present affecting all cryptic games and both xbox and pc for neverwinter. Trying right now will not yield good results.
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    That would explain why my last run in Kessel's Retreat I was rubberbanding and lagging a lot. I thought maybe it was my problem with icy terrain, but obviously it was something else.
  • dufistodufisto Member Posts: 537 Arc User

I think it's the DDOS jerk again, or one of his friends:

Why are these guys not in jail?
    because ddos against anything other than the government is behind lost kitten in their list of things to investigate.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2015
    Update, 11/4/2015 @ 5:35pm PT:
    The following was just added to our Site Announcement display up top the forum, "11/4 5:25PM PT: We're aware of the server issues and are investigating."

Apologies for the unexpected downtime. Please stay tuned for further updates as they come in. Thanks!
  • underhand001underhand001 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Are you all having issues, started lagging, then was kick and cant log back into the game. And no I am not having internet issues.
  • s4v10rxs4v10rx Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    zebular said:

There's an issue going on at present affecting all cryptic games and both xbox and pc for neverwinter. Trying right now will not yield good results.

hopefully is not another DDOS attack again by the hacke that plays this game.
    Guild: Asylum
    Character:
    7thS1n---Trickster Rouge LV 70(perma-Stun build)
    7ThH3AL3R-- Devoted Cleric LV 70 (Divine Oracle Haste/DPS build)
    7ThM4G3-- Control Wizard
    7ThW4rL0CK-- Scrooge Warlock
    7THW4R--Great Weapon Fighter
  • rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    So it's on this page: I think they're being DDOS'ed again.

• cogscreamcogscream Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Oh for Pete's heavenly sake! I am relatively new to this game but I love it. But you guys need to get your collective "stuff" wired together. If you don't have anti-DDOS clauses built into your connectivity agreements with your bandwidth providers (or your providers are incompetent) --- OR your architecture can't reroute (hello BGP reflections, etc etc etc) --- then YOUR DOING IT WRONG! C'mon guys.... you're gonna make me punt to Civ 5 or something. Sheesh.
  • fastandfrivolousfastandfrivolous Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    Hmmm, this might take a while... :/

Oh well, leaving in the hands of the guys who get paid to fix it. Thanks Zebular for keeping everyone in the loop B)
  • underhand001underhand001 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Well after many times of trying I can get logged in and then when I try to log a toon in it asks me if I want to log in normal or safe mode. Either way bring NO-JOY
  • foxxy#4211 foxxy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 563 Arc User
    When trying to open the launcher and after some "connection times", it says that i dont have "internet" -> connection problem to patch server and tells me to check my internet connection and blablaba. But the thing is i have internet, otherwise i would not be posting this.
    edited November 2015
    Update, 11/4/2015 @ 5:55pm PT:
    Just to relay here also, as others have shown in Tweets, we do believe this is a targeted DDoS attack. Measures and appropriate action is being taken. Once again, we apologize for this inconvenience. The announcement up top has been updated to reflect this, "11/4 5:40PM PT: We're investigating a potential DDoS."
  • elvenstar17elvenstar17 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Yup was on was able to play for a few hours then it was snr continuelly.Exited now I cannot get back on game,keeps trying to update launcher and fails then it tells me connection issues .Well I KNOW thats not the case cause I can get on my internet browser and go everywhere...
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    Cryptic needs to switch to a provider who will ***aggressively*** go after DDOS'ers.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
    lol Ok after posting I see the message for potential DDOS attack..
  • kriptical1kriptical1 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    It retrospect. Booting all of the people who botted, or bought currency 3rd party, earlier in the week was bound to ruffle a few feathers.

That said....attacking a mmo is about the lamest thing I can think of...
    Sooo /facepalm
  • Not knowing squat about tech stuff, exactly what does the tech team need to do to get everything back up and running?

Sorry i have no idea how to post a picture of the tweet like you all did above so im gonna just quote it...

"The bot that follows 1000 random accounts worked. Lol" -PacketArmy

A little scared here guys.. Whats this supposed to mean?

I think that's unrelated to the Neverwinter issues. I believe he's referring to a twitter bot that followed 1000 random twitter users?
    I think they should let all the players know when they find the HAMSTER doing it so us players can deal out punishment...
  • etymorphicetymorphic Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    DDOS attacks are extremely hard to track/prevent by nature of their extreme simplicity so I don't hold it against the devs at all. Even giant corporations can't stop a competent DDOS attacks so it is definitely no simple task.
  • l3thin4thl3thin4th Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 198 Arc User

Not knowing squat about tech stuff, exactly what does the tech team need to do to get everything back up and running?

Without going too much into details, there is someone who is sending an incredible number of request to the game server, blocking its normal function.
    How to solve it depends on what the attack looks like
    You can read more here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

Lethinath - DC

Fayn Fiddler - HR

Jean Fiddler - OP

Quinn Fiddler - TR

Tre'Davious Flynn - SW

Bogus Skullslicker - GF

Vanhankaupunginselk - CW

Alea - GWF

Noble Misfits

• hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User

I think they should let all the players know when they find the HAMSTER doing it so us players can deal out punishment...

Haha. That reminded me of something that happened on Slashdot. There was this notorious email spammer who, in an interview, was unrepentant about what he did. He was even arrogant about it. A Slashdot reader looked him up via public records and posted his home address -- to a million-dollar house the spammer had only bought months before.

The avalanche then commenced. The spammer found himself subscribed to every free catalog, magazine, newsletter, or other print publication that readers could find -- worldwide. He was receiving 100 pounds of physical mail each day, such that the post office suspended all mail delivery to his new home.

Now that was a DDOS -- '80's style.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
    most load balancers have a request per second per client throttle options. these login servers are behind a loadbalancer right?

• ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Can we have some chilled monkey brains as compensation..?
  • xxdebbyxxxxdebbyxx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 25 Arc User
    does'nt seem to be as many people complaining about not being able to log in this time, last time there were hundreds of posts
  • e5cafl0wnee5cafl0wne Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    something to pass the time away, kinda reminds me of Missile Command!
    http://map.norsecorp.com/
    edited November 2015
    xxdebbyxx said:

does'nt seem to be as many people complaining about not being able to log in this time, last time there were hundreds of posts

Wasn't it during peak play hours on a weekend, spanning several days, last time?

Also, wasn't it before the migration to these awful forums? I can't remember, it seems like forever ago. A lot of people just stopped using the forums entirely after the change, and then again when the style got weird recently.

xxdebbyxx said:

Wasn't it during peak play hours on a weekend, spanning several days, last time?
    werent there also a good deal more active players a month ago....
This discussion has been closed.