test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question about AD from a new player.

I'm reading about the "new ways to get AD" which seem to have some people pretty miffed.

How obnoxious is that grind at the level cap? I love the game so far but I have very limited time so if all of that time is spent grinding to do things I'll never have time to do I figure I should just quit now.

Not trying to troll or anything I really just have no concept.

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    Well, if you are just going to focus on 1 or 2 characters, then the grind isn't too bad, (especially when compared to other MMOs, where it takes months to get to the level cap). You also get a piece of artifact gear for completing the Elemental Evil storyline, and then its matching off-hand item when you hit level 70.

As for ADs - as a new player, all you need to know is that leveling up leadership isn't as important as it used to be. Previously, you could generate a lot ADs through the leadership profession. Now, save for 1 or 2 tasks, you only get chests for potions, skill kits, gold, and XP.

What I recommend is to get 1 character to 70 through the elemental evil content, (make sure to take the quests that say "complete 8 vigilance quests").
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    yeah if you're L70 just bust through the daily AD stuff then work on campaign boons. Don't worry about big bucks, get your boons and T1 gear and work on the Jewellery crafting profession for rings. Everything else falls into place once you're geared to basic standard.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    cloudius1978cloudius1978 Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Mod edit - removed moderated quote and commentary regarding it.

Back to topic, the game is enjoyable as you level but the grind is real once the endless dailies start.

I'd advise you to join a good and helpful guild who can give you timely advice and guidance as you progress through the game.

Safe journey and good luck!
    Post edited by kreatyve on
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    Make sure you invoke at least 6 times a day for the 3K AD. If you are grinding the campaigns for boons, it costs AD to get the boons. Don't even think of spending that AD on something else.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    OP, if your main focus is on generating ADs, then follow these easy steps:

Get to 70 - I realize it can be a grind, but end-game is where things really pick up.

Once you're at level 70, and assuming you have been invoking at least a few times a day, you should have some ADs saved up. Use them to buy level 70 blues for your class, and start running some dungeons and skirmishes.

These dungeons and skirmishes will reward you with ADs and some will give you epic equipment. A big point here is to *only* use your free daily key for the dungeons - don't buy more keys just yet.

You can always open at least 1 chest at the end of the skirmishes without needing a key, so these will become your fallback point.

Once you have all the gear you can directly equip, salvage any remaining gear for even more ADs. What you get from salvaging in this way will not go down, like how there's a daily cap for what you can get form the dungeons, (though if you hit the daily refining cap of 24K ADs, you'll have to wait for the next day to begin before you can refine more).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    Btw vip is less than 10 dollars per month.... People complaining dont even know what they complain about.
    The game is ok if you are ok with playing a class or max 2. Having multiple chars is not possible anymore if you want to be a bit competotive
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    ...getting to level 60 is fun.

That's when mindless repetitive grinding begins. Actually, there are some fun parts - the first dozen or so times. So you grind to 70, and find the campaigns - institutionalized repetitive grind. Also, still fun with your first char, and digestable chunks. Just you need AD to get your progress going. so how do you get AD? Yay. Got the picture - mindless repetitive grinding.

OK, if you could just get along with low intensity at-your-own-pace gaming, and still make some progress, it'd be fine. But in order to get anywhere it's all but unavoidable to join a Guild and help with the guild stronghold's progress. Guess what...

...yes, it's repetitive grinding the selfsame dozen or so fights over and over again, and eats tons of AD. And either you're in a low-profile guild, where progress is glacial, ore you're due to p(l)ay your share of the progress costs... ...or get kicked from the guild, eventually.

Honestly: As a low-gaming-timme-budget player, unless you're OK with playing on your own, and content with being less than competitive, even in late- and end-game PvE, have fun. If you're the ambitious guy who wants to play it all, and with the cool kids, better earmark a high-two- to three-digit monthly sum for P2W stuffz and AD - or never get to where one would want to get within the game's remaining lifetime.

...just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    radubadu#0820 radubadu Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Thanks for all the responses... Except the guy who reminded me there's always a handful of any gaming community that are toxic.

I guess to ask for further clarification, what exactly is the AD for? Why do you have to grind? If it's for gear/Stat progression, is it any worse than some of the p2p mmos that have you run the same instances over and over for tokens to exchange for gear (i.e. WoW and FFXIV)?
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    AD (Astral Diamonds) are the main currency of the game. They are used on the Auction House, and also can be converted to Zen (the premium currency that you can buy with cash from Arc) via the Zen Exchange. If you want to have Best in Slot gear, you will need millions upon millions of Astral Diamonds to obtain it. However, BiS is not required to be able to do any of the current content in game, and some say it makes the game too easy.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    mantera47mantera47 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 70 Arc User

Thanks for all the responses... Except the guy who reminded me there's always a handful of any gaming community that are toxic.

I guess to ask for further clarification, what exactly is the AD for? Why do you have to grind? If it's for gear/Stat progression, is it any worse than some of the p2p mmos that have you run the same instances over and over for tokens to exchange for gear (i.e. WoW and FFXIV)?

You use AD for a variety of things: buy stuff in the AH, requirements to upgrade structures in a guild's strongholds, requirements to select certain boons in the campaigns, buy stuff from the Wondrous Bazaar, exchange to Zen from other players in the ZAX so you can buy stuff from the Zen store, transmute items to look like other items if they don't have the "free appearance change" flag, etc.

As for the grind, you can think of it like running dungeons in other MMO's to get tokens; you're basically doing the same thing here as well. You'll be running that content here to get AD, seals to exchange for gear, and so on, as well.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Mantera, thank you. I guess I don't understand what the issue is then. All mmos have a grind at end game so wth are people so whiny about?

novakk, you're the type of player that needs to just stop playing. You're clearly unhappy and it's quite pathetic that instead of moving to another game or doing anything else you continue to troll the forums of a game you seem to despise. Do everyone a favor and join your alleged 80%.
  • Options
    goldmoon#5670 goldmoon Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    All mmo have a grind, that is true.
    But none of them can reach 1/10 of current Neverwinter after some AD changes.

Bis in Neverwinter means 4200+ item level, you can stay at 2500 but you will have some problem to get a team for you to run dungeons and get smashed in pvp.

Put strong hold away, a lot of must have stuff are costy.
    Campaign
    Companions (legendary|pet armor|enchantments)
    Artifacts(10 million RP each, you have 4)
    Artifact gears(the RP)
    Weapon/Armor Enchantments(C ward cost)
    Enchantments(c ward cost)

Each of them cost 10 millions AD at least except campaign
    And you need to spend 4 hours on same stuff to get 24000 AD, per day.

Which means you need 2100 days to reach some Bis guys currently have. Roughly 5-6 years. No day off

Or you can spend serious cash to get them quick.
    For example, blood ruby for artifact gears :D

620 dollars for 1 of them. However you have four in total.
    If you think spend a second hand BMW x5 in a mmo is fine, just do IT

Btw, novakk1 is an old Player in game, we stay in this game now for few reasons:
    1. Already purchased VIP
    2. Have hope
    3. Few friends still around

But tbh, compare to few months ago, current game is a ghost town. And feedback from players no one care.

I personally like have new players joining the game. But you have beed warned.

Do not cry in forum later.
  • Options
    Novakk, now THAT is an opinion. What you were doing before "quit now!" was pointless and stupid. Your actual opinion however is appreciated, seriously.

Goldmoon, this is exactly what I was wondering. I have no intention of being a hard-core pvper or end game raider. But from what I've read, the bis gear you're referring to isn't necessary for endgame pve, is that not true?

Again, I'm not wanting "the sky is falling" nor do I want "if you're having fun just play". Knowing I can play a max of probably 10 hours a week. Will I be able to actually play end game content without spending stupid amounts of money or no?
  • Options
    Well that sucks. Thank you. I'll probably leave it installed and check it out occasionally but there's a huge difference between a game you can spend countless hours on and one you have to. Otherwise it is a really awesome game.
  • Options

Novakk, now THAT is an opinion. What you were doing before "quit now!" was pointless and stupid. Your actual opinion however is appreciated, seriously.

Goldmoon, this is exactly what I was wondering. I have no intention of being a hard-core pvper or end game raider. But from what I've read, the bis gear you're referring to isn't necessary for endgame pve, is that not true?

Again, I'm not wanting "the sky is falling" nor do I want "if you're having fun just play". Knowing I can play a max of probably 10 hours a week. Will I be able to actually play end game content without spending stupid amounts of money or no?

"the bis gear you're referring to isn't necessary for endgame pve".

Lets be honest here, you don't really need to be BIS for endgame pve, that is true.
    But still need to be Semi-Bis, and its still cost at least half of Bis

Current hardest dungeon in this game is eGwD, epic gray wolf den. Ask in lfg channel to see anyone will carry you (2500 item level) and finish it legit.(no bug, no perm pop).

Cryptic limited the AD sources, which leading to another problem, ppl want to farm AD as quickly as possible.

I myself have a 3k item level toon, easy to get a team, but for my alt, you need to wait really some times.

• Options

It depends on what you actually want to do... At 70, you can buy a set of blue level 115 gear from the AH for less than 10k AD total. Also, get at least rank 5 - 7 enchants (which are pretty cheap in the AH as well). This should get your iLevel up to approx. 1800 - 2000.

You should then be able to run all T1 dungeons (ELOL, VT, MC) and skirmishes (KR and ESOT). Obviously, if you're trying to get a group using the LFG channel, you probably won't be invited since they're asking for ridiculous IL requirements in that channel. I'd recommend joining a guild that will help you and/or joining a channel that will help and don't require IL to run dungeons with --such as the Legit channel: http://forum.arcgames.com/neverwinter/discussion/544112/nw-legit-community-channel-info-discussion/p1

But you definitely don't need 4k IL to run any PVE content at end game.
  • Options
    So again, someone with limited time has no real incentive to play. I wouldn't mind spending the money but it seems to be MUCH steeper than just a standard p2p mmo. Frankly, I'd rather just pay a sub fee instead of playing a game that I'll either never get to experience end game or I can if I pay wayyyy more than the current standard $15/month.
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    2.5k ilvl is perfectly adequate for all T1s, lvl 70 skirmishes, and epic Temple of Spiders. I know, because my characters are between 2.5 - 2.7k ilvl, and they run those with ease -- and not being carried.

If you don't pvp, the grind is not bad, and you can easily run T1s and eToS without spending a dime -- although you might want to spend some (a fast mount, and some level of VIP).

As others said, get blues from AH at 70, equip artifact MH and OH you get from Elemental Evil campaigning, then start grinding campaigns for boons. Start running T1s and lvl 70 skirmishes once you're around 1800 ilvl. You can enchant everything with rank 6s or 7s from the AH -- it doesn't start getting expensive until rank 8. Try to get a lesser soulforged for an armor enchantment when you have the AD.

Run 2 T1 dungeons and 2 skirmishes a day. You will get gear drops you can wear or salvage, as well as seals to buy gear. With salvaging and invoking it is easy to hit the daily rAD cap of 24k. At ~2.5k ilvl, add in eToS.

It may be hard to get a group at 2k ilvl from /lookingforgroup -- but as mantera47 said, look into joining the NW Legit channel.

You don't need to get your gear to Legendary/Mythic: epic is fine for artifact gear and artifacts, and is quite reachable.
  • Options
    Cool :)

Honestly still leery but it IS free lol.

Thank you everyone for your input!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    =========================
    quote mantera47
    It depends on what you actually want to do... At 70, you can buy a set of blue level 115 gear from the AH for less than 10k AD total. Also, get at least rank 5 - 7 enchants (which are pretty cheap in the AH as well). This should get your iLevel up to approx. 1800 - 2000.

blabla legit channel blabla

But you definitely don't need 4k IL to run any PVE content at end game.

You CANNOT reach 1800 item level just from blue gears. Your item level based on sigil artifacts which new players dont have.
    I honest dont think they have the AD to buy rank 7 enchantments either.
    Since the only AD source from lvl 1 - 70 is invocation.

Like I said, you need at least 3k item level to finish eGwD, which IS endgame pve content.

quote arcofortep12">BiS is not necessary. You will get carried eventually at some point. I completed everything except GWD and Stronghold Siege (because it's boring for me) with 2.2k IL. Aim at least for a 2.5k IL. Focus on one character and take all the boons you can from campaigns.

If I have raised six 2.2k toons in 9 months (I play a lot) you can raise at least one at 2.5k or 3k in the same timeframe.

Ofc lure boss out the door is also doable at 2k item level, you can even naked since you can lure them to campfire
    Or team with a perm OP

quote darkstarcrash">2.5k ilvl is perfectly adequate for all T1s, lvl 70 skirmishes, and epic Temple of Spiders. I know, because my characters are between 2.5 - 2.7k ilvl, and they run those with ease -- and not being carried.

Run 2 T1 dungeons and 2 skirmishes a day. You will get gear drops you can wear or salvage, as well as seals to buy gear. With salvaging and invoking it is easy to hit the daily rAD cap of 24k. At ~2.5k ilvl, add in eToS.

I complete agree with 2.5 item level

BUT T1 dungeons DO NOT DROP SALVAGEABLE GEARS, and new player need to pay to get another key.

You guys really dont give a s about new players
  • Options
    Ok... Now I'm confused. I'm not sure if I'm reading conflicting opinions or people arguing facts.
  • Options
    ultimateblu#0961 ultimateblu Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    hi i'm a new player, probably playing for about a month now. i got two chars to level 70 just as of yesterday night. here are my impressions. obviously the game has been around a while and so you have content on top of content. it's rather confusing for new people and the currencies are very complex and not always easy to intuit but i got more of a grip on it now. basically you need different currencies to access different boons/items. but like they said, AD is the main currency and is directly translatable into real money.

anyway, the game pretty much hand holds you through to level 60. you get everything you need from just following the main story line and taking the reward chests. you will do ok in pvp against similarly equipped people. and low-level pvp can be fun even if senior players have a few special items, because they don't have all their skills yet and so they are still limited in power. but that will change quickly as you get to closer to level 60. eventually pvp will become grossly lop-sided and just not fun at all. even for getting the AD, i'd rather not do it. again, if it's similarly equipped people it can be alright. i did a level 69 domination and on my rogue and it was actually an ok lineup but i don't pvp a whole lot because of the aforementioned.

sooo, after level 60 it kinda gets hard. i think the developers made the new content with the senior players in mind, having spent so many hours or dollars or both getting really good gear. so for them, 60-70 was probably easy or mildly difficult. for us, it is a huge noticeable difference. the quests don't follow little mini story lines as much as they just ask you to be "vigilant" aka grindy. you grind repeatables. that's where it becomes like a lot of other mmo's. "get me 100 flower petals from monster flowers" and now do it again, and again, and i need more, more petals, MORE PETALS!!! until you are very sick of killing monster flowers for petals, lol ^^

anyway, if you're finding it difficult here's what you do. i later started a hunter ranger who i like better than my original trickster rogue, just do a lot of skirmishes, low-level pvp, standard dungeons, and save the quest lines. the XP at low levels is quite good leveling. you can always go back and do a quest line. my hunter ranger got to level 70 faster than my rogue who finished all of elemental evil by level 67 and had to grind those last few levels (horrible, just horrible, i never want to do that again).

now, campaigns can be very confusing, but you need special campaign currencies. the only campaign you can do before 70 is the dragon one. do it as well, as soon as you can at level 26 because it is extra quests with XP. good for leveling. all the rewards will be outdated once you get them. they only allow you to do them at a set pace and you must wait. but who cares about the item rewards for now, you have everything you really need for pve through the normal quests. the best things are the dragon enchants, so just drop them in your gear and don't worry about any other enchants until you are higher levle and more "specialized" build. then you will have to use whatever enchants are good for your combo/build.

save your AD, or spend mildy on auction house stuff. most items can be had for 25-200 AD per item for low-level blue stuff through to level 70. you need to save your AD because just like the game jumps in difficulty, the prices will too. i bought 2 enchants for weapon and armor, about 100k each. yes, that's right. you heard me. 100k each. and they are just the regular ones, a step up from lesser and very far from the top transcendent, but that's how much. and yes, i spent real money to buy AD to get them. so buy lessers which aren't too much cheaper if you don't want to "donate" so much to senior level player prices. it's just a fact, senior level players have more AD and so are willing to pay more. sucks for the new guy, but just do your best.

(incidentally, the game does give you some shards to make a lesser weapon enchant with 1% chance to upgrade, my lightning attempt failed on my hunter ranger, but when i did it last night on my trickster rogue, accidentally choosing fire, it actually worked! so now i have a free lesser fire enchant, thanks neverwinter!)

once you're at level 70, it's still going to be hard with quest gear, so upgrade as much as you can through the AH and start doing the campaigns, which are also hard. i'm someone who DOES NOT LIKE TO BE CARRIED, can you tell how much i don't like it? :) but if you're a loner like me, it will be somewhat difficult but doable. as it is right now, i have nothing special, but i am struggling through the campaigns to earn the currencies to buy upgrades which are a little disappointing, but upgrades nonetheless. and then i'll see where i'm at with doing epic dungeons and whatnot, i don't know more about the game at this point. i just know that i don't want to be a total carry with whatever i'm participating in. (although sometimes it's probably going to happen.)

you will notice that things in the game are not re-aligned for the 1-70 levels. and still a lot of text and content has not been changed from the previous max level of 60. just bear with it. the developers still have a lot of work to do with realigning the content for 1-70.

the saving grace is that there are so many areas and the art is really fantastic. if you like forgotten realms, this is a great free game that allows you to experience that world. i do wish there would be even more story in it from the forgotten realms and the chars of that universe, but that's just me.

i do have a lot of other hints and suggestions for new players because there is so much complicated content, but you can also find some of those things online or discovering them for yourself as you play along.

i can also suggest spending a little real money to get a mount and companion that you really like because it makes adventuring more fun, unless the in-game ones are fine with you which they are not bad at all. i still don't have a great mount yet, but i'm waiting for a mount sale or a holiday/winter sale which i'm not sure if they do that. but hopefully they will.

anyway, that's it. quite the wall of text no?

• Options
    edited October 2015

BUT T1 dungeons DO NOT DROP SALVAGEABLE GEARS, and new player need to pay to get another key.

You guys really dont give a s about new players

What are you talking about? All of the gear in the end chests are salvageable (T1/T2/KR/ESOT). Blue or purple -- as long as they're level 70 required and they say "Salvageable" in the tooltips. The rings are 3k AD each (3300 if you have the right VIP). You're missing out on a boatload of RAD if you haven't been salvaging them.
    Post edited by mantera47 on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Enchant costs right now in the AH (cheapest prices):

Dark Enchantment, Rank 7 - 15k AD
    Dark Enchantment, Rank 6 - 3k AD
    Dark Enchantment, Rank 5 - 113 AD

Radiant Enchantment, Rank 7 - 18.4 k AD
    Radiant Enchantment, Rank 6 - 3.5k
    Radiant Enchantment, Rank 5 - 116 AD

etc.

Rank 5's drop quite a lot just while adventuring.

Weapon and Armor enchants are the expensive ones. You can make a terror or feytouched just by doing the sharandar lairs IF you can get lucky and get a Coalescent ward to drop from the invoke boxes -- big IF but still possible. The same with an armor enchantment IF you can get lucky with a Coalescent ward. Obviously, you can buy coal wards from the zen store but that's up to you. The Lessers in the AH cost less than buying coal wards from the zen store, though. So you might want to just buy the lessers directly if you are going the buying route.
  • Options
    ultimateblu#0961 ultimateblu Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    i sugges don't buy the standard dark/radiant, etc enchants. save your money for weapon and armor. the regular ones that drop are good enough until level 70. and you can find sources to get more so you can try your luck without coal, or whatever for those. i've got up to rank 7 with just trying (failing) and also with some free zen items that the game gives you. i forgot the name, but it's some kind of ward where you don't lose your reagents.

for more rare enchants, yes, you will probably want to be more careful, but all the solid colored ones, just don't waste stuff on them for now. also, don't bother refining the them until after you get rank 5 drops. just feed your free artifact you get at level 21. the book is useful for a store that's always available whenever your inventory gets too full. but the heal and the lantern is also good.
  • Options
    I should add in that my highest level character is 17.... Most of what you guys are saying is way over my head right now, but I do appreciate it!
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    Early on, the lantern is probably the best statwise and the waters are probably the most useful, but once you've gotten into the End Game a ways, you'll find it's not really that good. At that point, having the book to spawn an shop when your buddy forgot to get heal kits or runs out of pots in the middle of a DD run is really useful. Since you don't really NEED the extra stats while you're leveling anyway since the whole game is a cakewalk until you get to Spinward Rise, I suggest getting the book. You can earn more artis in PvP or from various drops and by buying them outright... All of them are better than any of the three starters for the most part. Besides - you MUST level a DC up to get the DC Sigil - probably the most useful artifact in the entire game as an active power. A few others are pretty useful, but for me, the DC sigil at epic or better is really hard to beat in either PvP or PvE.