test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DPS please read, consider, and pass along

Comments

• tellistorterratellistorterra Member Posts: 198 Arc User

People play for fun... not for maths tests. You play your way, let other people play their way.

If that is your attitude you should probably not be playing a game where other players depend on you pulling your weight.
    You know what... you are right.

When I come home from work tonight I am going to put others first for a change. Relaxation and fun?, no sir not for me!

I am going to pop out my calculator and spreadsheet to make sure I am up to scratch and not a hindrance to others.

Thank you sir, for pointing out my selfishness. Please excuse me now, my self flagellation calls.
    He's only trying to help. The math portion is only there to back up what he's trying to explain. Mathematical Evidence. He IS right, too. As far as DPS is concerned, higher leveled enemies always have more and more armor than lower leveled enemies. So by building more Armor Pen., you'll be doing more damage, thus being a more reliable DPS role: which is the point of the thread.
  • equality00equality00 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Yes and no. I agree with what AP gives but it depends on the class/build/path. A Soulbinder SW for instance needs crit since their soul sparks happen only when they Crit. There are other way's to get AP than just enhancement's. Artifact's, Rings, Companions etc.

I agree, 60% is what you should aim for but priority depends on what you're playing.

I use all Azure (rank 7- Off/Util) and still don't have all of my offensive slots open (neck/main hand). Artifact's are purple at the moment. Gear T1 except arms (discord and discontent item 135 - stronghold drop).

merrique1
    Post edited by equality00 on
  • yourenext2dieyourenext2die Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    I saw a TR yesterday that had 13K power, "10K Crit", and 3.4K Arm Pen. I was like wtf. He or she left before I could finish typing a group message to them.
    Super Saiyan God- TR Lvl 70 (PVP)
    Unleash The Wolves- HR Lvl 70 (PVE)
    <font color="Aquamarine">"Non-Pay-To-Win"</font>
    I hunt GWF "Magik" on sight.
    Should've sent a private one but I wanted his guild buddies to read it.
  • patsfirepatsfire Member Posts: 833 Arc User
    3.4k ArP is about what 30%RI? Maybe around 25%. Either way.... D*** that's low lol
  • soonergmsoonergm Member Posts: 503 Arc User
    sounds like that TR was still rolling under the mod 5 cap guidelines. possibly another person struggling with the game with all that nice gear and wondering wtf is going on.
    My Toons

SoonerGM - HR Trapper
    Haven - Righteous Cleric
    Ethereal Justice - OP Paladin
  • b0redgamerb0redgamer Member Posts: 254 Arc User

Yes and no. I agree with what AP gives but it depends on the class/build/path. A Soulbinder SW for instance needs crit since their soul sparks happen only when they Crit. There are other way's to get AP than just enhancement's. Artifact's, Rings, Companions etc.

I agree, 60% is what you should aim for but priority depends on what you're playing.

I use all Azure (rank 7- Off/Util) and still don't have all of my offensive slots open (neck/main hand). Artifact's are purple at the moment. Gear T1 except arms (discord and discontent item 135 - stronghold drop).

merrique1

Also with an SW, Int gives RI so it is less for us to stack.

Signature under construction, stay tuned.
    GT: b0red gamer
  • pbrand45pbrand45 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    With Alliance/elven gear, and 3-4 personalized jewelry of piercing, you get your 60% RI and don't need to enchants for it.
    edited September 2015
    lol Yeah, their crit was outstanding though lol
    soonergm said:

sounds like that TR was still rolling under the mod 5 cap guidelines. possibly another person struggling with the game with all that nice gear and wondering wtf is going on.

I doubt it because before mod 6 dropped for us people were talking about the pC community and saying that Critical Strike was going to be more important than power this mod. They must have ran with it.. Excessively.

Post edited by yourenext2die on
  • rockstargfurockstargfu Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    Ounce crit severity at 100% severity, its equal to power ( 1:1 ratio) but with vorp bringin ir to 125% plus boons, crit surpasses, plus with lost mauth set, thats plus wpn dmg each crit. And theeen, several classes have dmg and buff procs on crits,

Theirs still a stat curve, so after you pass like 15-17k crit id look into crunchin numbers past that
  • bagoatbagoat Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    @OP and other Math People, all I can say is Thank You.
    People can say what they want about "playing their way" or "specing their character how they want" but the bottom line is EVERYTHING in combat is determined and controlled by Math (oh Math, you cruel temptress, how I hate you so).
    This is why I love posts and posters like this. You figure it all out and then lay it to me in laymen terms.
    You Math People understand all of the (to me, archaic and complex) equations this game uses to determine how much damage I do when I go pew pew and how much damage I take when the baddies go rawr.
    So, when someone like the OP says 'if you want X result, tweek Y variable' I say OK and thank you for mathing so I don't have to!
    o/
    It's quite simple actually, you need to get your AP up to 60% to do maximum damage in a dungeon this mod because, well, the strongest enemies are at 60% armor resistance, up from 24% in mod 5. If you're running 6K+ you're fine. Then you can stack in other places as needed depending on your build.
    15K power, 6K Crit, 7K AP, 3K recovery. Those are the set numbers I'm reaching for before I start to dump where I see fit. (I'm not running a Sabo build in dungeons so I need the Crit, you know who you are, noob.)

People play for fun... not for maths tests. You play your way, let other people play their way.

If that is your attitude you should probably not be playing a game where other players depend on you pulling your weight.
    You know what... you are right.

When I come home from work tonight I am going to put others first for a change. Relaxation and fun?, no sir not for me!

I am going to pop out my calculator and spreadsheet to make sure I am up to scratch and not a hindrance to others.

Thank you sir, for pointing out my selfishness. Please excuse me now, my self flagellation calls.
    IS higher leveled enemies always have more and more armor than lower leveled enemies. So by building more Armor Pen., you'll be doing more damage, thus being a more reliable DPS role: which is the point of the thread.
  • ideathlyomenideathlyomen Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    My ArP is 57% but that does not help when I can't find a decent team to do the dungeons, gonna have find guild as this mod screws anybody without one. Btw I'm only a 2k ilvl GWF, have not started gearing up yet but did switch my azures for darks in till I get my gear.
    GWF - Morthos Lvl 70 (Main)
    OP - Hodor Lvl 70
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    so, I can't say i understand where the numbers come from. I have 3700 AP and -8 on the other stat (can't remember hte name of it) that also counts for Ap on the HR..

what Am I at?
  • equality00equality00 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited September 2015

Ounce crit severity at 100% severity, its equal to power ( 1:1 ratio) but with vorp bringin ir to 125% plus boons, crit surpasses, plus with lost mauth set, thats plus wpn dmg each crit. And theeen, several classes have dmg and buff procs on crits,

Theirs still a stat curve, so after you pass like 15-17k crit id look into crunchin numbers past that

Agree, my Crit Sev is actually 130.1%. Running Rank 8 (at the moment) Vorp. Crist Sev from Vorp doesn't show in stats from what I've seen. I've unequipped my main hand and used another to check. It stays at 105.1 with or without the Vorp equipped.

Once I get more power/crit I will upgrade to R9.

My ArP is 57% but that does not help when I can't find a decent team to do the dungeons, gonna have find guild as this mod screws anybody without one. Btw I'm only a 2k ilvl GWF, have not started gearing up yet but did switch my azures for darks in till I get my gear.

I ran with Soulforge Insurance Company today and they were great. Epic Cragmire was a walk in the park and the strategy for the end boss was flawless.

• stercesderisedstercesderised Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Still seeing a lot of peole out there who really don't understand ArP.

Basically, you can be ballin with the most amazing power pool, and crit abilities but if you can't actually "hit" your target then it's a complete waste.

Better to hit softer for 100% than hit hard for 10%...

DPS - please focus on getting your ArP to ~60% and maintaining that when switching gear. Pretty plz?
    @bagoat

Thanks friend!
    edited September 2015
    @virtueofcyanide

The logical thing is that you opponents dont have over 60% (within reason) DR, and if they have huge hitpoints, your hitting as hard as possible, if your at that mark or very briefly before if you have insane crit severity, you will burn him fast as possible, after that you build decides the rest

Edited; thought id add this is PVE based topic
    @virtueofcyanide

No, got your point and stated how its a starting point, i dont recall mentioning this is the end all stat to have and nothing else is relevant.

If you wish to troll and or stray from the topic, perhaps you should write your own thread and allow others to view it, your getting no wind in your sails here
    Ty for input virtue but plz understand im trying to help ppl with 1 topic
  • nullvaluepointnullvaluepoint Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Getting to 60% has diminishing returns for mob content. Going over cap for 90% of a dungeon slows you down overall. There's no pure DPS class. Each has a unique feature that makes capping RI and dumping power less than optimal. My SW will get a bigger boost in DPS keeping crit high. I can dump crit in favor of RI, but class abilities lose synergy.

You'll need to do the math on specific builds. On specific fights and dungeons.

Eg. Timed boss fight, (Tiamat) calculate for max DPS.
    Dungeon runs, calculate for max dungeon run speed.
    PvP, calculate for W/L.

Maybe carry an extra set of jewelry with different enchants, or just pay the 2 gold per enchant when you get to sboss.
    Post edited by nullvaluepoint on
    Until you hit 50% (loose minimum) there isnt any practicaly way to have 100pts Arp outweighted by 100pt crit (.25%)
    To add on , unless your a CW or simlar class that is devoted to trash only and dont wanna offer dmg to bosses.

"Best CC is Death"
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User

so, I can't say i understand where the numbers come from. I have 3700 AP and -8 on the other stat (can't remember hte name of it) that also counts for Ap on the HR..

what Am I at?

On your character just scroll down on your ability scores and find where it says "resistance ignored" - that's the number that has to reach 60%.

As other posters have said, it doesn't just come from Armor Penetration, other things affect it too, but AP is the easiest contributing factor to adjust.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    In general, I agree with this thread. However, bear in mind, the only creature in the game with 60% DR is tiamat, everything else sits at 40% or lower so unless you plan on actively farming tiamat, 40% is fine. It is also important to note that for pvp you will need much higher then 60% RI, to deal with tenacity. Furthermore, if you choose the right gear pieces, you should hit 6k RI without even needing to slot darks, I know from my CW for example, I got 6k arp and I have never invested in a single dark. This is because arp scales 1:100, where as most other stats, excluding recovery and those weird stats like AP gain, scale 1:400. This means that with little to no effort you can hit 60% RI. When choosing gear, my recommendation is choosing gear pieces that have Arp, crit and power ideally, even if it means you do not use the highest level gear piece available to you. For example, a friend of mine who plays GWF uses a t1 helmet on their gwf even though they have t2 helmets available to them because the t2 helmets don't have that stat combination available to them but the t1 helmets do. It is all about min/maxing. Take a look at your gear, ignore the word recommended and look at the stats on the gear. Don't worry too much about whether or not the stats are higher, look at whether or not they are the stats you want. This makes a character a lot more effective then if you trust the games recommendations.
  • cesar#6784 cesar Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    This is interesting: today I levelled my GWF from 60 to 61, and the resistance ignored stat went up from a bit over 31 to 58 after just changing my weapon (more ArPen on it, yeah, but never though it would go up like this), and the defence stat went down from 32 to 21 which should have been affected at all. It's like a levelling up one step changes some formulas to force you to update most of your gear if you want to keep your character balanced.
  • ddem0n888ddem0n888 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    I decided to run with Draconics in both offence and defence slots as I wasn't sure what to put in and this gave me a good balance I thought. Is there anything wrong with this???
    Guild - Excalibur