test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Honest and Unbiased FEEDBACK to the new Stronghold PvP

kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
PROS

■ If there is anything I can look highly upon with the new SHPvP, it's the environment. Getting out of that small, confined, artificial-feeling "arena" type of environment, and put into a much more natural looking environment was surprisingly refreshing.

■ Seasoned and experienced veterans of PvP (across all types of games) know that a "natural environment", more commonly referred to as "open world PvP" provides a quite unique and different experience from confined, "arena" type PvP. The latter usually takes form of that resembling a sports match, like football or basketball, while the former allow for a more lenient and fluent fighting experience where a lot of different and new elements come into play, such as large-scale tactics, more active use environmental advantages, clever LOS(line-of-sight) tricks, and etc etc..

■ OPvP, however, in most cases, are usually plagued with severe problems of its own, most of it usually being severe numbers imbalance. In that sense, SH offers a "pseudo-OPvP" experience in a very large map with a lot of terrain features. I found it thoroughly enjoyable in hiding in the corners of the town, sneaking behind the hills and bushes, waiting for an ambush behind tree-trunks, and finding high cliff like terrain to rain down with arrows.

■ The different strategic elements were easy to understand. Yes, I've played the "SH Training" quests before they were pulled out for some sort of fix. However, I didn't really pay attention to all the texts during the quest. But in the actual SH match, at first I couldn't remember anything from the "Training Quests", but after playing a while it was apparently quite easy to understand.

■ Basically, it would be a lot easier to understand if you realized that it is essentially a large-scale AoS genre game. I feel particularly proud of this, because I've actually suggested that NW implement a new game-play type which was basically a large-scale AoS game. Of course, I'm sure the devs already have had that idea for ages, as well as a lot of other people probably suggested it as well. But in essence, yes, SH is a big AoS type game, and therefore anyone who has any kind of experience in games like DOTA or LoL or the more recent Heroes of the Storm from Blizzard, would immediately realize how it should be played.

■ As strange as it might sound for some people, I actually find myself being relieved that SH is different from what people expected. Yes, the fact that the game is not a "your guild's stronghold versus the other guild's stronghold" does seem to suddenly make all those PvE quests you did in your Stronghold map seem moot. At first, I also thought that upgrading this, putting archer towers here, sorceror's tower there, and all this stuff meant that we'd actually be able to see those guild customizations in the map... and losing a SH fight would mean our infrastructure would be damaged and destroyed.. and winning would mean that we'd get to plunder the other guild's coffers for riches and treasure. So it seemed like a letdown.

■ But then I realized, that probably means the current 3~4 strongest guilds in the game would basically exploit the hell out of the entire guild community to become superpowers, while all the other smaller guilds are victimized. Don't deny this. You know it's the truth, that every time your guild queues, you'll be meeting a handful of those "you-know-who" guilds whom you have no way on Earth to defeat. Everytime, some of them will be queueing, and everytime, your SH will be plundered.

■ So in general, this "queue-up" system, I actually find to be a good idea. If anything, it helps those smaller guilds to still be part of the game and have fun. I'm not sure how the exact matchmaking works yet, but from a glance, it looks like the queue is placing East/West according to guilds, so all people from the same guild will always be in the same faction. We'll have to see if this system is more 'fair' than what we have in Domi or GG.

CONS

■ The lag. Yes, everytime a new area is introduced, it happens. Remember IWD at its opening day, anyone?

■ In general, having a great big map to operate in was a good idea, but I'm kind of getting the feeling that the current map might be a little too "empty." I get the impression that the devs were trying to keep the system 'clean', without too many clutters in the map, but at this point I think it might have been a better idea to just faithfully "copycat" some of the elements that make modern AoS games so popular and fun.

■ More NPCs would have been nice. Most AoS type games have considerable number of AI troops to simulate the feeling of an all-out battle. The pack horses and engineers aren't too bad, but I think it would have been more fun if the 'Captain' type NPCs weren't so few. It would have been better if they were grouped in 5 like troops, and the variety of resources the players gather would help them spawn faster to provide a "push" to each of the three lines.

■ If NPCs spawned in combat groups, then we could have seen more variety of them... melee NPCs.. .archer NPCs.. healer NPCs.. caster NPCs.. and etc etc..

■ The Supply Depots are just too easy to take and turn over. It makes it too easy for a pair of very strong players to 'infiltrate' the lines and just make the efforts of many people go to waste. I feel it could have been better if they were more 'fortified positions' than 'supply depots'. Like mentioned above, supplies people bring in would fortify the foremost 'frontline' position further, where the NPC troops will periodically spawn and make towards each others' position.

■ The Golem NPCs sort of seem too lackluster, as well as easy. I feel it would have been better if they were stronger, of more variety, and provided a direct 'timed buff' as with other AoS games -- like, "kill a very powerful Ogrelord and his minions, and the entire team receives a +15% damage boost for 180 seconds"... this would then make hunting these NPCs a much more tactical and crucial choice, and as a result a lot more interesting fights near these NPCs might ensue.

■ This, I feel, is a must. Needs more visual and direct information queues. Would it have been so difficult to try and implement "fight is happening" legend on the map screen? Like a big flash, or a "X" mark, or something? Currently, the feel of SH is very "loose" because its hard to see what is going on where. Hence a lot of people not used to SH just aimlessly wander around. In Domi or GG we'd at least have the domination meter. I feel an audible/visual queue, indicating a 'clash' is happening somewhere (instead of the yellow information text which nobody reads) is greatly needed.

OVERALL

■ I think SH is a good attempt. I feel it has strong potential -- but not in its current form. It could use a few more tweaks and features. Yes, Cryptic has made some very, very bad decisions in regards to PvP, especially with general balance. However, I don't think SH is one of those mistakes. Viewed from a purely game/mechanic standpoint, it is a worthy attempt to try and reproduce the very popular AOS-genre gameplay within a MMOG format, and I feel it can work.

■ However, like said, to really work, for the potential to really take flight, it needs some more crucial features. A bit more tweaks, and the devs need to keep their ears open for feedback to make this even better.
Stop making excuses. Be a man.
If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'

Comments

• Options
    drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    Honestly... that was my experience too. Not to jump on your wagon... but these are very good points.

It is a good basic 3-tiered chocolate cake... it just needs to be put together and have the right things added to send it to the next level.​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    Boring,badly designed,knockoff MOBA.They couldnt even make the laning phase correctly.You build a catapult on one lane and other team goes and destroys one of rear outposts.Normally you have to push the enemy from the start of the lane.You cant just go and jump to enemys rear camps
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    dsn1118 said:

Boring,badly designed,knockoff MOBA.They couldnt even make the laning phase correctly.You build a catapult on one lane and other team goes and destroys one of rear outposts.Normally you have to push the enemy from the start of the lane.You cant just go and jump to enemys rear camps

A valid point.

The effort to "push" the lane in good, large-scale, terrific fights should be the essence of any good AOS-type game, and so should it be with SH, but like mentioned, it's just send one or two "covert operatives" behind the frontlines and disrupt the supply depots, and the foremost catapult base is just neutralized.

Hence, the suggestions in regards to "combat troop NPCs", and changing the supply depots into "fortified positions" which can't just be "backcapped" like in Domi or GG. My other suggestion, "visual queues for 'hotspots'" should also help. Many cases, people don't see which supply depot is being "stolen" until too late.

The warning signs and visual/audible queues should easily notify people to identify where the action is taking place. The more people gather to these 'hotspots', the larger scale the fights would be.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    If they want me to keep playing this after tomorrow (when I get my last piece of gear), they will have to add something to the reward that makes it worth 30-40 min of my time. And no, something worth 5k AD is not enough.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• Options
    lemonchilllemonchill Member Posts: 523 Arc User
    sorry its a fail concpet
    boring laggy area too big confusing too long ppl (including me) have no idea where to go what to do.
    last time i made my best efforts to earn points got 225 and got no freaking reward in the end thanx al lot!

all pvpers already got their gear and will not go there again. why? same reasons mentioned above.
    same in my case. question is how long will it take me to get that gear. since so far i lost 7 matchs in a row. since two pvp top guilds farmed that area first two days and are now done with it.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    Cons

1) lag... Incredible lag.
    2) minimum time for the game too high
    3) once a catapult is built you should not be able to backcap the depots but push from the start of the lane.
    4) map really too big and empty, being able to teleport freely to the stronghold more than once would help a bit
  • Options
    ryoshinetteryoshinette Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 488 Arc User
    Pros:
    - way to get new items (sets)
    Cons:
    - laggy as hell (btw IWD is laggy even now, when is empty)
    - lack of communications (I'm not a moba player, but simple marks on map shuld help) - chaos
    - no pvp (hard to meet anybody)
    - new bugs implemented with module (stamina/aP drain)

My plan: gather sets. Wait new module since we can't even earn any AD. Avoid pvp till they fix bugs.
    As some1 said before. Extraordinary talent. Killing the game using expansions. Just a Craptic.
    Ryoshin GF (4.2k)
    .Suicide Squad.

• Options
    icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    I got 3/4 pieces yesterday, looking to get my last piece this weekend :)
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • Options
    rversantrversant Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    I havent been able to have time to do it yet due too work :( Im hoping its still popularish when I jump on!
    People are way too negative, Why cant we just all get along.

Drunken Goose of MidNight Express. - 3.3k Paladin , 3.6k GWF , 3.1k GF,
  • Options
    wolf160882wolf160882 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15 Arc User
    Seriously...This new map and whole module over which they worked so hard is just super fail. With this lags + classes balance + ap/stamina drain people will go there only for new set. After they get new set, this map will be empty like ICD now.

again- GG CRAPTIC, keep going and this game will die soon.

• Options
    aristofanusaristofanus Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    Overall it is a good attempt - by for sure such a long battles must be rewarded more generously, otherwise people stop doing it.
  • Options
    gromm1gromm1 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    IWD repeat|| Tiamat repeat = Greatest Effort we ever made != effort play true game;/ some JAvA erores ocur

• Options
    icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    got my 4/4 lionsmane set :D
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    icyphish said:

got my 4/4 lionsmane set :D

Coming from a member of Absolute that is not all that surprising :p
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    my only problem is I am not really sure how to get points

I have been skunked twice but I did a lot of fighting and capped several Supply depos

So... not sure I like it
  • Options
    sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User

Stronghold PvP is the biggest HAMSTER ever! I want to play with guildies instead I keep getting teamed up with clueless PuG idiots who don't understand the simplest rules!

3 Matches done - And I'm already done with this HAMSTER!

Then you need to queue with your guild at the same time - and ideally party up beforehand as well.
  • Options
    gromm1gromm1 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    I am absolute to stop pvp, little more absolute to stop m inngame, pretty luck for slikkers stikkers azzz ..

• Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User

If they want me to keep playing this after tomorrow (when I get my last piece of gear), they will have to add something to the reward that makes it worth 30-40 min of my time. And no, something worth 5k AD is not enough.

This my greatest fear too. After having geared up expensively specifically for icewind dale owpvp, I watched in disappointment as the instances, never full ever, quickly became wastelands. Lol, getting 450 kills for the IWD achievement was the longest grindiest boon I ever chased, and yes, I have all the dragon boons.

But to be honest, this is what's gonna happen. As soon as the big pvp guilds have got all their new gear, shpvp queues will get longer. Then, as every guild that currently has, or almost has, a lvl4 marketplace gets their pvp gear... shpvp will turn into IWD. There is absolutely zero reason to go back there afterwards, beyond masochism.

The only thing I can think of is big pvp guilds cooperating once in a blue moon to fill an instance and have show matches.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    fatgunsfatguns Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    gromm1 said:

I am absolute to stop pvp, little more absolute to stop m inngame, pretty luck for slikkers stikkers azzz ..

Stop pvp, stop the #1 cryptics money generator in this game - shut the game down.
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    I've played this 3 times now solo queuing, won all 3. It seems like it would be somewhat fun if it weren't for the lag, but the rubber banding is terrible, and like everything else in this game people seem to give up really quickly, I assume because they get sick of dying to lag and decide to sit in the stronghold until the match ends, so basically the matches are kill a few people and then go sit at their door killing guys with backpacks and dropping rocks off at the catapults until the red bar graph disappears. I probably will not be playing this again.

• Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    Great Post OP!

A few additions I would add, maybe you want to update your OP.

1) Reduce the player count on each side to 15vs15.
    I think this would drastically help with latency/response issues with the servers and make a cleaner game.

2) LOVE the "NPC" spawn idea that is brilliant and helps "fill out" the map as well as creates some "balance" in the teams with NPCs able to assist in taking back Depots...

3) The time investment is pretty big... Would really like to see the Base HP dropped to 3k and rather than 10 supplies to the coffer = 2k more HP, it would be cut there down to 1k. So it would be a 3k start with a 4k Max HP rather than 4k start and 6k MAX.

4) The Golum NPCs could use an HP and damage boost. They are VERY easily to solo right now... Should probably require atleast 2 people to take 1 down. Also maybe some consistency with the #of coins dropped... Should be 2 per golumn potentially.... Would basically guarantee the game is near finish by the time the Dragon attacks (18 min mark in the game) making them ~20 minute games on average I think.
  • Options
    Finally got all the bits I wanted from SHpvp. Thank god. Will I go back..? Hmm. Maybe to fill out the numbers for guildies.

On the plus side, dom now seems like a refreshing walk in the park.
  • Options
    On the golem side - one of my favourite things about BI dom was the golem you could set on the enemies once they'd won the ice.

It would have been hilarious to have the same mechanic in SHpvp.
  • Options
    scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    One reason why being able to take the opposing teams back supply depo instead of having to destroy the catapults that this way you have a lot more room for counter play.
    I can hear the complaints already if you had to start a lane push from your end in order to stop an assault from the catapults (and they already keep firing until they run out of ammo, you just can't add more ammo) because a strong team can just send most of their team to protect the catapults and if you can't compete gearwise/skillwise whatever then you lose. This way you have a chance to be sneaky and possibly interrupt the other team. Lots of communication is required on both sides.
    Post edited by scathias on
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • Options
    sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User
    rodandog said:

Stronghold PvP is the biggest HAMSTER ever! I want to play with guildies instead I keep getting teamed up with clueless PuG idiots who don't understand the simplest rules!

3 Matches done - And I'm already done with this HAMSTER!

Then you need to queue with your guild at the same time - and ideally party up beforehand as well.
    oh gee a big five man guild party, what about the rest of ur guild, we made parties an ended up having to fight against each other, it the same HAMSTER as GG, 4k against 2k an now all you will see is 4k people going in as usual to wipe out newb players so they cant succeed as that is how people are on this game an cryptic doesnt get a friggen clue
    We dont have any issues - 4 Parties, each with 5 people from our Guild. We all queue together, we communicate when the queue pops, to make sure everyone has it. Only once have we been thrown in and we had 15 and the other 5 were in a different instance.

I'm not saying the queue is perfect, but we queue at the same time and 99% of the time it works.

On the topic of 4k players - that wasn't even mentioned? I'm not 4k, most of the people from my guild that jump into Siege are not - not all of them are pvpers either (Anyone who knows me knows I certainly am not). We still work together to hold supply depots, build catapults, etc. As with all group content in this game, it's about communication.
  • Options
    cjh1983cjh1983 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 229 Arc User
    total and complete trash - how did you let this go live?
  • Options
    neoxyphusneoxyphus Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    It takes too long. If it takes say 25-30mins then it'd be ok. Right now some games seem to last forever.
    Casamir
    3K IL WK Sabo TR
    Trying to suck less @ pvp near you