Install Arc
Options

R.A. Salvatore on the Foundry

2»

Comments

• Options
    deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User
    Foundry quests are drop dead-zones.
    Last time I did a Rix run 4 foundries, I got a potion.

I was on break and missed the anti-bot nerf hammer to foundries. I ran them and I was like WTH?
    Then I read the forums, found out they were dead.

Shame really, one of the few original aspects of a game using 3rd party IP.

I don't expect them to return to being of any value to character progression. And if they did have the potential for character progression, they won't return in the new nerf-mosphere. So don't get your hopes up. I didn't bother to vote.

• Options
    strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2015

I put often because I check the running time, I'd play more, but lately I have to play parent more in real life. They do need to provide more incentives for people to play Foundry quests, and we've given them plenty of suggestions over the past two years and more. I am glad @StrumSlinger chose my question for Mr. Salvatore. I'm also glad it was the last one asked because as the saying goes: "It's not who you bring to the dance, it's who you leave with that matters..."

I made sure to ask him your question as it was an important one.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• Options
    torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    Every time I play, as many times as I can earn a reward
    If they had real rewards they would instantly multiply the amount of endgame content exponentially.

No one would moan about "BRING BACK DUNGEONS" because a 30 min featured foundry would be NEW CONTENT, and offer the same AD rewards.

People would be entertained again. Check out the reviews my foundry quests have received. (screenshots in teh threads in my sig)
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    yeah, limitless new content would keep people entertained. Too bad that there are 2 big issues with it now.The first being that there aren't any real rewards from doing foundry quests (even the daily was removed, and that was pretty much the only reward). And the other being that the foundry catalog is filled with exploit farming quests and quick review quests.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    duryntedurynte Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    The last foundries I tried, all of them have been enjoyable
    and I would have happily spent quite a bunch more AD/Zen to
    their authors, unless they would have stated something like
    "I am already an AD millionaire, keep yours. Happy hunting!".

kreatyve wrote:
    > The hardest part would be figuring how to prevent people from
    > exploiting them.

There have to be incentives like untradeable foundry currency
    or gear marks or the like; for the designers to figure out.
    And there has to be a minimum risk/cost taken from a customer
    trying a foundry other than time, so as to pressure competition
    on foundry design and ratings, and gate it from abuse.

For example: On entering a foundry, 20 Zen have to be paid,
    10 of which go to company for making available and 10 to author,
    while taking the risk to disconnect, don't enjoy the foundry,
    can't make it to a foundry currency reward coffer.
    The foundry visitor will be much more selective on what and
    why to try, foundry author has incentive to polished design,
    and customer practices on the bot level are disincentived,
    and company has decent incentive to polish foundry tools.

However, I do suspect the customer group enjoying the foundry
    is but a small. For a f2p publisher the most valuable customer
    groups are most important to deliver to, and the customer groups
    executives are busy about. In MMORPGs the most valuable customer
    groups pay for progression and distinction (vanity). So designers
    may want to add one or both of these to foundry as an incentive.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Often
    durynte said:

For example: On entering a foundry, 20 Zen have to be paid,
    10 of which go to company for making available and 10 to author,
    while taking the risk to disconnect, don't enjoy the foundry,
    can't make it to a foundry currency reward coffer.

Unless you make the rewards per play worth significantly more than 8k AD, you have basically proposed a way to make sure that nobody plays any Foundry quest at all, ever, no matter how much they like the idea of them.

Players don't want to spend their time doing something that's unrewarding enough that it prevents them from progressing their characters. Paying for the privilege? NOPE.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    easy ways to make non exploitable rewards (there are more complex ways too, but these are a few really simple ones)
    -all rewards BoA
    -only cosmetic rewards
    -only the first time you do each foundry quest it gives a reward.
    -rewards that depend on both time played and estimated playtime for each quest.
    -AD rewards with a cap like any other form of AD generation (dungeons, skirmishes, PVP)
    Any of these would help to make it non exploitable. BUT it has to come hand in hand with removal of exploit quests, quick farming ones and quick review ones.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User
    durynte said:

There have to be incentives like untradeable foundry currency
    or gear marks or the like; for the designers to figure out.

That's a pretty sweet idea.
    Make the chest give a currency that can be traded for bound to account stuff like, I don't know, marks, AD, random awards. Anything to make it relevant again.

The whole anti-bot thing is well past gone too far. The foundry was a major marketing ticket for this game.
    Salvator didn't know Foundries were 6 feet under taking a dirt nap during that Twitch stream, obviously.
    Might be something to think about salvaging if ya'll got the cycles to consider it.

• Options
    lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    which would have more enjoyment for the player, authorized foundry missions or Vigilant Quests (over and over and over).

so much opportunity here to tap
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • Options
    torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    1 key per day per account from an assigned foundry quest giver would prevent abuse.

Add it to the VIP 'Claim' screen so that whenever non-vip people open their 'I'nventory, it's autofocused and they get reminded that they cOULD be claiming a free key too.

Every account can get 1 foundry reward per day. =X It'd be the best thing to happen to Neverwinter.
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    therealairheadtherealairhead Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    Considering the amount of content per unit of time that cryptic has come out with in the last 8 months since I've been playing, I think the 'foundry' is the key tech that can save this game. Let cryptic pick out the best ones, chain them together, create some new level of player called 'content-creator' if they are good enough, mix these foundry-chains with starters from the game world, kick back zen and/or ad to these 'content-creators', blah blah. Tons of ways to work it. After cryptic 'looks at it' and 'approves', then rewards could be made to match whatever cryptic would have created themselves. Should be able to achieve a pace of 1 or 2 new 'large' foundry quest lines per week.

Cut dev costs by leveraging other people's labor which technically costs them nothing, while increasing content at the same time. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
  • Options
    many good ideas in this thread. I'm glad others are joining. I sure hope that cryptic/PWE can realize this opportunity.
    2e2qwj6.jpg