Install Arc
Options

Patch server being DDOS'd?

Comments

• Options
    urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    Still down
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

kreatyve said:

Giant Frog? I want a Beholder Tank that shoots Disintegration Rays out of it's tentacle things!

Yes yes, we need beholder mounts.

I was actually referring to the Acquisitions Incorporated video from PAX Prime, which I can't link here due to language. But look it up, because it's seriously funny (2 hours though though!)
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    brafubrafu Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I don't know that its a DDOS attack since they probably would have figured that out awhile ago and wouldn't be looking for the issue. On their twitter they said they might have identified the issue and are looking into it.
  • Options
    saskdaddysaskdaddy Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Discussing moderation is prohibited on these forums.

• Options
    thraexisthraexis Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    lol
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User

kreatyve said:

Yes yes, we need beholder mounts.

Mounts? we were talking about companions. For mounts I still need a Hell Boar for my dwarf.

• Options
    kominatchakominatcha Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    I don't want anything, just wanted to point out that the most recent issues always seem to happen on the weekend. That must be really tough on the network engineers, I have recently had to look into a career change due to the fact that being on call all the time really was very stressful and ruined any attempt at social life. While they do get paid I do hope everyone has a bit of compassion for what is involved at times like this. To get a call on a Saturday evening to head into work would really make the techs weary and sometimes its not just about the $$. Godspeed on a quick solution, I was really loooking forward to playing tonight!
  • Options
    kominatchakominatcha Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    Umm, but if I was really to make a wish for what I want during this down time is a really cool and hot gamer babe to kick it with while the game is down?
  • Options
    greyloche said:

putzboy78 said:

greyloche said:

thraexis said:

Figures it was a ddos attack.

it may be a DNS attack. when i try to do lookups on the different servers, or the gateway.playneverwinter.com none of the names can be resolved.

thats a really easy way to take down a LOT of stuff quickly.
    patch server is answering pings. So probably not DNS
    by name? or did you do it by IP.

try doing an NSLOOKUP on the name. when i did it it came back with an unknown domain error
    ping -t patchserver.crypticstudio.com

nslookup patchserver.crypticstudio.com
    Server: ns1cun.cablemas.net.mx
    Address: 200.79.231.5

Non-authoritative answer:
    DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    Name: patchserver.crypticstudio.com
    Address: 184.168.221.85
  • Options
    jade456usjade456us Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I did it by IP address. Gateway is down as well. The DNS response could be due to a misconfigured or missing server file, data corruption or simple lack of server resources. I love the game for the community (met a lot of great people here and became friends IRL) so I hope they get it together.
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Great, just bought $20 worth of coins....and i try and log in for the first time in a while and i log into this, lol.
  • Options
    enkmarenkmar Member Posts: 1 New User
    LOL i thought it was my files on my computer got glitched so i uninstalled and reinstalled arc and neverwinter. Uggh. Fix my saturday night please.
  • Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User

Umm, but if I was really to make a wish for what I want during this down time is a really cool and hot gamer babe to kick it with while the game is down?

:kicks server with kominatcha:

See, this is what happens when you upset dragons.

(I'm sure it'll be up soon though.)

" I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • Options
    doctorknockbootsdoctorknockboots Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    greyloche said:

its definitely a dns issue

yes. Adding a known address for patchserver.crypticstudios.com gets me into the interface (with some missing items). But looking up launcher.playneverwinter.com fails....anyone got an IP address?

oh wait - I have some old captures.....brb

• Options
    gravita5gravita5 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5 Arc User
    Ok, everyone settle down. The wagon rattles and creaks as it rolls along the old trade road...
  • Options
    greyloche said:

putzboy78 said:

greyloche said:

putzboy78 said:

greyloche said:

thraexis said:

Figures it was a ddos attack.

it may be a DNS attack. when i try to do lookups on the different servers, or the gateway.playneverwinter.com none of the names can be resolved.

thats a really easy way to take down a LOT of stuff quickly.
    patch server is answering pings. So probably not DNS
    by name? or did you do it by IP.

try doing an NSLOOKUP on the name. when i did it it came back with an unknown domain error
    ping -t patchserver.crypticstudio.com

nslookup patchserver.crypticstudio.com
    Server: ns1cun.cablemas.net.mx
    Address: 200.79.231.5

Non-authoritative answer:
    DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
    Name: patchserver.crypticstudio.com
    Address: 184.168.221.85
    200.79.231.5 is located in mexico
    184.168.221.85 is located in scottsdale arizona.

i thought the patch servers were in California
    Cablemas is on my side :-)
  • Options
    e5cafl0wnee5cafl0wne Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    you could always fly one of these:

• Options
    porchearaintreeporchearaintree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 33 Arc User

I don't want anything, just wanted to point out that the most recent issues always seem to happen on the weekend. That must be really tough on the network engineers, I have recently had to look into a career change due to the fact that being on call all the time really was very stressful and ruined any attempt at social life. While they do get paid I do hope everyone has a bit of compassion for what is involved at times like this. To get a call on a Saturday evening to head into work would really make the techs weary and sometimes its not just about the $$. Godspeed on a quick solution, I was really loooking forward to playing tonight!

I used to work for Mars candy company. If a factory went down ,everyone and their brother better be there to fix it. I went in, many times on weekends and at 2 in the morning. I also fielded phone calls at midnight to make sure we kept running. We called it customer service, and I loved working there. We took pride in our product.
  • Options
    ellodrithellodrith Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 97 Arc User
    I'm in the gateway and have been since before this all started, but without knowing their network architecture its impossible to figure out whats actually happening. I suggested a ddos on the patch server as it seemed to be the only service affected. Who knows :)

cheers
    Ello
  • Options

I'm a gamer babe, but not so hot and pretty old. Old school D&Der. : P
  • Options
    m00refallenm00refallen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Well at least i know its not me...
  • Options
    alyrissaalyrissa Member Posts: 89 Arc User

59 years old here (60 in Feb) and I remember 1st edition days

• Options
    e5cafl0wnee5cafl0wne Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    well if you are a big gamer and luv board games you could always go to this free website :)
    http://en.boardgamearena.com/
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    alyrissa said:

Really? Can't even remember what I ate yesterday:\

• Options
    alyrissa said:

Me too!
  • Options
    instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    I stopped buying books at 2nd edition..
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79