What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

RMT spam and player experience.

2»

Comments

• Options
    nathanjmnathanjm Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    In-game, you can't scroll down 2 clicks of your middle mouse button and have the same task because the amount of random rare tasks is not fixed.

I suspect you could enter text to filter the task list -- making it always the same place. I use filtering when I run professions in-game simply because it cuts down the tasks. For example, when I'm leveling leatherworking, I enter 'armor' as the filter text, and that hides all the boots, etc.

The gateway gateways's browser back button/key to repeat the task meant I was more willing to spend the time eyeballing rare tasks, and finding what I really wanted in the list because repeat task starts was much faster than ingame. But, when I'm faced with 9x task starts in-game, I'll type enough (e.g. 'ilm' to get the Clerics of Ilmater quest) to make it a really short list.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    charononus wrote: »
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Because they cannot. Or rather, because they can't yet.
    On the website, you could just type the URL and always get the right task. Easy to bot: Alt-D, CTRL-V, Enter, move mouse to x,y coordinates, click. Easy as Dell.

In-game, you can't scroll down 2 clicks of your middle mouse button and have the same task because the amount of random rare tasks is not fixed. You need to read the task before you execute it.

You know I never noticed that it wasn't a fixed number of rares up in game. I'm going to have to look at that now.

It's always five rare tasks, but they may be filtered for a number of reasons. Still, if you can get them all to display, there are five/profession.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    Not all F2P games have problem with gold spammers. I've over 5k hours in RIFT and trust me getting spam from gold spammers is incredibly rare and happens only in the lowest chat lvl bracket.
  • Options
    temjiutemjiu Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    While people are willing to buy from rmt, you will never get rid of spam. Unless you bind everything which is counterproductive. Look at wow, 10+ years and they still have it, though less so lately as they throw gold at you. The only real way to stop it is for people to not buy, which brings it to the eve examples of "the community doesn't stand for it". That is the real reason assuming that that is true that eve doesn't have spam. Unless you can change the community, filters are the only thing that will reduce spam. So if you want less spam, boot anyone from your guild that you know has bought from rmt, and blacklist them, and keep asking for chat filters in the meantime.

Not really counterproductive if you design the game around it. See my example of Marvel Heroes. Yes...it would be some extreme changes to the game, but MMO's that are coming out now are seeing the need of designing a game that kills the bot market before it began. its a design choice after watching many games like WoW try to manage Bot's in an environment that bred them. you take out what they feed on...the breed dies out.

And Eve is a unique (in a good way), and interesting exception to the industry. I personally think most of that is due to the game design...it attracts a very specific kind of player, the kind of player that would naturally want to self-police their own environment (and the game gives you tools to assist in this).
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    temjiu wrote: »
    While people are willing to buy from rmt, you will never get rid of spam. Unless you bind everything which is counterproductive. Look at wow, 10+ years and they still have it, though less so lately as they throw gold at you. The only real way to stop it is for people to not buy, which brings it to the eve examples of "the community doesn't stand for it". That is the real reason assuming that that is true that eve doesn't have spam. Unless you can change the community, filters are the only thing that will reduce spam. So if you want less spam, boot anyone from your guild that you know has bought from rmt, and blacklist them, and keep asking for chat filters in the meantime.

Not really counterproductive if you design the game around it. See my example of Marvel Heroes. Yes...it would be some extreme changes to the game, but MMO's that are coming out now are seeing the need of designing a game that kills the bot market before it began. its a design choice after watching many games like WoW try to manage Bot's in an environment that bred them. you take out what they feed on...the breed dies out.

And Eve is a unique (in a good way), and interesting exception to the industry. I personally think most of that is due to the game design...it attracts a very specific kind of player, the kind of player that would naturally want to self-police their own environment (and the game gives you tools to assist in this).

Thing is I would disagree with call Marvel Heroes an MMORPG, I'd call it an ActionRPG, which is where diablo, poe, etc are all at as well. I don't think the systems that work in an ARPG work in an MMORPG.

• Options
    shozikushoziku Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    wentris wrote: »
    And yet still no MMO I've played till now managed to fight spam bots succesfully

EVE Online. RMT is explicitly forbidden in the EULA. Players found breaking that particular rule are promptly given a permanent IP ban. The result is purchased game currency comes directly from the parent company, farming is present but kept to a minimum resulting in both self-controlled inflation, as well as a more dynamic market, FINALLY players are not repeatedly encouraged to give cc info to websites whose only claim to legitimacy is "We probably have AD."

While I'd love less rmt, and a good filter, let's stop with the ip ban bs. I can have a new ip in seconds.

yeah IP banning is such an old cliche thing to say and do because for the last 20 years no one really uses an actual static IP any more. (of course there will be exceptions) The thing to do is use the MAC address. They can be filtered and dropped by the network itself so the game code does not even have to be altered. Of course there's also spoofing but even that has its limits.
  • Options
    shoziku wrote: »
    wentris wrote: »
    And yet still no MMO I've played till now managed to fight spam bots succesfully

EVE Online. RMT is explicitly forbidden in the EULA. Players found breaking that particular rule are promptly given a permanent IP ban. The result is purchased game currency comes directly from the parent company, farming is present but kept to a minimum resulting in both self-controlled inflation, as well as a more dynamic market, FINALLY players are not repeatedly encouraged to give cc info to websites whose only claim to legitimacy is "We probably have AD."

While I'd love less rmt, and a good filter, let's stop with the ip ban bs. I can have a new ip in seconds.

yeah IP banning is such an old cliche thing to say and do because for the last 20 years no one really uses an actual static IP any more. (of course there will be exceptions) The thing to do is use the MAC address. They can be filtered and dropped by the network itself so the game code does not even have to be altered. Of course there's also spoofing but even that has its limits.

Please tell me you're kidding MAC address spoofing is far too easy. Someone I knew in college tried using that as network security for his network. We had some fun with that in a completely childish way.
  • Options
    lnterceptormfplnterceptormfp Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    There is still RMT in Eve it just is not advertised with spam like in NWO. You can still go to sites and buy ISK; however CCP does a fairly good job of eliminating botting and you will get a ban for botting and RMT if you are the seller.

If you are the buyer CCP does not ban you, they simply remove the amount you have bought through RMT and then further subtract the amount purchased from your character. So if you bought a billion ISK, they remove the billion and then set your account at negative one billion, because so much of the game involves using your in game bank account you have to get out of the hole or abandon your character.
  • Options
    genemaricadiegenemaricadie Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12 Arc User
    There is still RMT in Eve it just is not advertised with spam like in NWO. You can still go to sites and buy ISK; however CCP does a fairly good job of eliminating botting and you will get a ban for botting and RMT if you are the seller.

If you are the buyer CCP does not ban you, they simply remove the amount you have bought through RMT and then further subtract the amount purchased from your character. So if you bought a billion ISK, they remove the billion and then set your account at negative one billion, because so much of the game involves using your in game bank account you have to get out of the hole or abandon your character.

Glad to have someone who understands what I'm talking about. The point I'd really like to focus on in the above post is the fact that CCP does the policing. EVE has just as many opportunities for RMT as Neverwinter, the difference is the parent company cares enough to do something about it.

• Options

That is awesome. A good way to hurt the buyer without outright banning them for buying. Here it would take wiping all characters to zero imo but still a good starting place.
  • Options
    genemaricadiegenemaricadie Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12 Arc User

That is awesome. A good way to hurt the buyer without outright banning them for buying. Here it would take wiping all characters to zero imo but still a good starting place.

If this happened, it won't, but if it did, I imagine there would be some sort of universal clemency.