test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Solution for chat spam

perfecteagle0perfecteagle0 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
Remove
www www. com .com And I had to edit some of these out, because you are kinda advertising them yourself by having them listed here. Sorry. - @kreatyve
from valid words

Also prevent the same message from being posted by a given player more than x number of times in an hour. Say 10 or 20.

May help some of the chat spam and prevent players from being ripped off and prevent cheating (in the form of unauthorized account boosting.

Thanks!
Post edited by kreatyve on

Comments

• draven165draven165 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    10 or 20? I say do not allow the same message more than once. Hence the definition of SPAM...

spam
    /spam/

noun
    1. irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
    •unwanted or intrusive advertising on the Internet.
    "an autogenerated spam website"

verb
    verb: spam; 3rd person present: spams; past tense: spammed; past participle: spammed; gerund or present participle: spamming
    1. send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet.

If these spammers would have to type out multiple times they would quit. Oh and this would STOP all the nonsense spamming of garbage in Tiamat and other places. FYI - If your item is on the AH I don't need you to spam the chat in zone 20 times saying it is on the AH. If I was looking to buy it I would already have seen it.

We need a way to report spam that will shut down the chat for the player reported until its investigated. Problem solved. no more spam from anyone, period.
  • lordsarveriouslordsarverious Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    turn that chat system off. they gave you the options for what you want to see. I have guild, say, and group only for tiamat. Trade, zone and private get turned off. so much easier.
    Co-Founder of AoF Neverwinter Branch (TR 60, CW 60 SS)
    Find me on XBL to get an interview to join the guild.
    5.jpg
  • xdescentxxdescentx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I just want an option to mute/ignore players like an ignore list so if anyone annoys me/harasses I can just add them to ignore. There's many systems like this.
  • software4yousoftware4you Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    This is a serious issues on Xbox One. Even if there are few players talking on the trade chat in Protector's Enclave your advertisement can hardly be seen. NeverWinter is doing an awful job fixing very small problems that would take very little time to fix. My best guess is that these websites being advertised in Trade chat are owned by Arc Games or they're certainly getting a percentage of the profits. There's no way a game like this would allow such constant advertisements without doing anything about it. Of course you can report these players and mute them.. but they make a new account every 20 minutes so all the trouble we go through in muting and reporting them isn't actually doing anything. There's so many easy solutions to this problem. NeverWinter it's time to start listening to the players.. We are fed up with the constant <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> being thrown our way from your game.
  • lvlkarmalvllvlkarmalvl Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Furthering the argument for an option to "/ignore" players, I'm bloody sick and tired an seeing people posting trades in the LFG channel or other inane nonsense. I muted Trade and Zone chat to get away from that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. But everyone knows people did that, likely en masse, so they just bring it in there for attention. It defeats the entire purpose of the channel mute option, which thank you for very much Devs but unless other options exist it really just becomes a speed bump for a lot of posters.

But yes, I definitely second the issue regarding the website advertising. Any time i see it in my zone, I seek the person out, report them both in game and on XBL. It may be a waste of time, but there's always that old adage about doing nothing and only having yourself to blame.
  • draven165draven165 Member Posts: 255 Arc User

But yes, I definitely second the issue regarding the website advertising. Any time i see it in my zone, I seek the person out, report them both in game and on XBL. It may be a waste of time, but there's always that old adage about doing nothing and only having yourself to blame.

I am right there with you. My wife and son laugh and joke that when I report one of these spammers and "ticket number #3,000,000 whatever pops up, they say you realize you probably reported 2 million of those yourself" LOL I also go to the Xbox live account and report and I ensure I put in the description box that what they are doing is a violation of Xbox Live Terms of Service in hopes this will get the attention of someone in case they use filters for the reports. I also feel if you do nothing you have no right to complain. Stand up and take steps to help :smiley:
  • lvlkarmalvllvlkarmalvl Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    draven165 wrote: »
    My wife and son laugh and joke that when I report one of these spammers and "ticket number #3,000,000 whatever pops up, they say you realize you probably reported 2 million of those yourself"

Nah, surely I have at least a third of those 3 million tickets haha
  • software4yousoftware4you Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Can't even be seen in trade chat due to this stupid stuff.
  • perfecteagle0perfecteagle0 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Yeah. They've also started resorting to zeros and () instead of "o". This is getting out of hand. No websites should be able to be posted. Maybe even a minimum play time and quest/character level before posting ANYTHING?

EDIT: Thanks for fixing my OP @kreatyve. Wasn't trying to advertise them, but at the same time trying to call these groups and sites out for violating ToS of both XBL and Neverwinter. Is it possible to go so far as to suggest banning by IP?
  • bgesusbgesus Member Posts: 5 New User
    New account so I cant post a new thread... Anyone know why I cant unmute anyone in my groups?? Havent been able to find any answers online. Any help would be great. Running dungeons and pvp is really boring with no talking
  • bluedoodbluedood Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    bgesus wrote: »
    New account so I cant post a new thread... Anyone know why I cant unmute anyone in my groups?? Havent been able to find any answers online. Any help would be great. Running dungeons and pvp is really boring with no talking

Answered your question in another thread.
  • elkayemelkayem Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    turn that chat system off. they gave you the options for what you want to see. I have guild, say, and group only for tiamat. Trade, zone and private get turned off. so much easier.

That's a band aid fix to an open heart surgery problem...

If I'm TRYING to trade in the Enclave ^that kinda screws the pooch doesn't it? Yeah, it IS an option, but not a very good one if you NEED to use that chat channel.

-Kay
  • kamikalzekamikalze Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    actually it should be much much simpler. No one should be able to post in any channel below 30 or Trade channel below 45 and is not allowed to use more than 150 letters. That should be pretty annoying to them, because of the releveling each and every day to 45. Problem solved ;)
  • kuero21kuero21 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    We also need an ignore option, but not only for bots. We also need it for the immature flaming players out there
  • willwheatleywillwheatley Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    If they would remove the ability to press up on the d-pad to repeat the last message type, this game would be 100x more enjoyable.
  • patsfirepatsfire Member Posts: 833 Arc User
    If they would remove the ability to press up on the d-pad to repeat the last message type, this game would be 100x more enjoyable.

That would help a lot, but when I am searching for someone for a dungeon I don't want to have to re-type that again
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Yeah. They've also started resorting to zeros and () instead of "o". This is getting out of hand. No websites should be able to be posted. Maybe even a minimum play time and quest/character level before posting ANYTHING?

EDIT: Thanks for fixing my OP @kreatyve. Wasn't trying to advertise them, but at the same time trying to call these groups and sites out for violating ToS of both XBL and Neverwinter. Is it possible to go so far as to suggest banning by IP?

Sorry it took so long to answer this - I still don't really know the answer to it. I think it would be possible for Microsoft to brick people's Xbox's, but there's a lot of issues and probably reasons why they don't.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • mahburgmahburg Member Posts: 598 Arc User
    kreatyve wrote: »

Sorry it took so long to answer this - I still don't really know the answer to it. I think it would be possible for Microsoft to brick people's Xbox's, but there's a lot of issues and probably reasons why they don't.

There is no reason why Live will not brick the xbone being used to do this, they do it frequently for this kind of exercise where repeat offenders are concerned.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    mahburg wrote: »
    kreatyve wrote: »

There is no reason why Live will not brick the xbone being used to do this, they do it frequently for this kind of exercise where repeat offenders are concerned.

Well, then I guess people need to keep reporting the accounts to Microsoft? Eventually the gold spammers will run out of xboxes.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • b0redgamerb0redgamer Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I am an XBL Ambassador and have been raising the issue to the best of my abilities. Please continue to report these accounts to XBL. Hopefully we can get action taken. Due to the parenting of XBL gold to other accounts on the same box, the only solution is to ban the console itself. Also, banning an IP a Xbox is using does no good with the simplicity of spoofing an IP.

On the pc I could see the problem as being much more difficult. You can spoof the mac and ip of any machine with very little set up or knowledge. Once an IP is banned, simply spoof a new one, once an account is banned, simply create a new one. Very difficult to control.
    Signature under construction, stay tuned.
    GT: b0red gamer
  • masterogamasteroga Member Posts: 474 Arc User
    The solution is not on Microsoft's end. ARC/WotC/whoever else makes money off this game needs to hire a HUMAN to moderate the chat. ONE employee, that's all it will take! They see a bot/human spamming, warn them once (Maybe twice?)...then muted for an hour. Then 2 hours, then 4, etc.
    That will not solve the problem. They would have to hire a round the clock team to even accomplish that. The spammers would simply do what they have done on the pc for years and switch characters and do it again. Mute them? LOL ban them is more like it. Then again that would simply change characters/accounts again. In my opinion the only two options I see is 1.) Microsoft to ban the consoles as it is a clear violation of the XBL terms of service and 2.) change the way the chat functions to prevent spamming. If someone spams a message they get put on a cool down. You could also use the chat filter to prevent advertising, easily worked around but better than nothing. There are many other ways the chat programming could be altered to prevent spamming. However, since this is a violation of XBL ToS Microsoft banning said consoles is the best solution.
  • mahburgmahburg Member Posts: 598 Arc User
    b0redgamer wrote: »
    That will not solve the problem. They would have to hire a round the clock team to even accomplish that. The spammers would simply do what they have done on the pc for years and switch characters and do it again. Mute them? LOL ban them is more like it. Then again that would simply change characters/accounts again. In my opinion the only two options I see is 1.) Microsoft to ban the consoles as it is a clear violation of the XBL terms of service and 2.) change the way the chat functions to prevent spamming. If someone spams a message they get put on a cool down. You could also use the chat filter to prevent advertising, easily worked around but better than nothing. There are many other ways the chat programming could be altered to prevent spamming. However, since this is a violation of XBL ToS Microsoft banning said consoles is the best solution.

^^^^^^
    This
    I turned trade off to make it go away then these cretins started in the general Zone chat, now I have that turned off.

It needs sorting and reporting to live does take that character down, but as you say they need to start bricking the xboxes if they really want to end this.
  • valaniillevalaniille Member Posts: 69 Arc User

I am an XBL Ambassador and have been raising the issue to the best of my abilities. Please continue to report these accounts to XBL. Hopefully we can get action taken. .

Unfortunatelly, the in-game option to view xbl account is not always active, you need to be in the same instance I suppose...
    Not sure what you mean, I do not need to be in the same instance to view someones xbl profile. I simply select the name in chat and view profile.
    Ok youre right, it works now. Dunno why sometimes I couldnt do it... >.>
  • fatpobfatpob Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    This is actually getting too annoying, and there are some good suggestions here that will help.

I have reported several via XBL, and presuming like minded folk have done so, there must be thousands of reports, but it clearly carries no weight.

Perhaps Arc could have a couple of weeks gathering details on the chat spammers and send the lot to XBL for blocking.

However I genuinely feel this is an Arc/PW issue and should be dealt with by them.

Simple solutions include limited number of times you can post to chat in a space of 10 mins, perhaps with an actionable warning that kicks the char for X hours if they try and post after this limit warning.

Perhaps a pop-up password entry after X posts to chat,perhaps using the controller buttons to continue.

Something needs to be done as you simply cannot communicate to fellow genuine traders.
    edited September 2015
    I keep reporting, but nothing changes... :(
  • spyg0atspyg0at Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    Take note of how many different screen names are posting this in chat. Literally hundreds. If one name/account gets banned, they just hop on another one. This is big business for them. NW needs to address it but have not as of yet. I honestly do not think they can without turning off chat. I do remember how it was before the AD farmers got hod of NW. It really is a big problem. I turned Zone off, everyone should.
    2.5K DC PVP & PVE <Q-Snipe>
  • urdicaurdica Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I don't understand why this is still a problem. Using xbox live in this way is a violation of the terms of use. It seems to me that if the xbox live accounts that are doing this were reported and subsequently disabled, it would no longer be profitable for the spammers to keep buying new xbox live accounts for this purpose. The missing piece here is that nobody is reporting the violators to Microsoft. The burden is on Neverwinter to report these violators to Microsoft.

Prohibited by Microsoft Services Agreement:
    "Use the Services or any content on the Services for commercial purposes;"