test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

RMT spam and player experience.

genemaricadiegenemaricadie Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12 Arc User
There is an aspect of this game that has baffled me from day 1. RMT players (and bots) are given free reign to ply their trade with impunity. In zones like Protector's Enclave RMT spam makes up, very literally, 50% of the text seen in zone chat. To combat this we can report these toons as spam. However, if you're like me and reported a number of spammers that is only reasonably presented in scientific notation, you will probably have noticed that reporting spammers just adds the account to your ignore list. Out of sight, out of mind. Right guys?
This isn't just a complaint about a personal pet peeve. Aside from being the RMT spam capital of Neverwinter, Protector's Enclave is also a gathering point for players looking for content. That's game content, not $12 USD for the dragon race content. 12 bots with their user ID bashed into the home row putting an identical message into every conceivable chat channel every 30 seconds has a tendency to interrupt the content search interaction.
As a final note; someone charging $5 for 100k astral diamonds is very, VERY literally taking money from you, Cryptic.
So what do you do? Give a warning then ban IPs for the second infraction. Charge $5 for 10k astral diamonds, It's not like you're strangers to micro transactions. so people don't have to go through a sketchy third party site.
Improve player satisfaction, create a new source of revenue for yourself. Win-win.

Comments

• Options
    wentriswentris Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    I really don't understand why it is such hard to against.
    You don't even need to understand Bayesian inference, just use regular expression. It is not rocket science, 1 line filter in code is done.

And yet still no MMO I've played till now managed to fight spam bots succesfully
    you will probably have noticed that reporting spammers just adds the account to your ignore list.

Not only - if enough people report the same toon it gets muted for some time
  • Options
    wentriswentris Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    wentris wrote: »
    I really don't understand why it is such hard to against.
    You don't even need to understand Bayesian inference, just use regular expression. It is not rocket science, 1 line filter in code is done.

And yet still no MMO I've played till now managed to fight spam bots succesfully
    you will probably have noticed that reporting spammers just adds the account to your ignore list.

Not only - if enough people report the same toon it gets muted for some time

You probably never played wow.
    I'm the coder of wow in game spam blocker.

Open the APIs for us if you found yourself can't understand how to process string

Yeah, I havent played WoW. I did play, for longer or shorter times, most major f2p mmos, diablo2, 3 and guild wars 1. I was spammed with currency offers in all these games

Edit: after googling I found this: http://wowwiki.wikia.com/Gold_spam
    So it seems even WoW has gold seller issues
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    ESO was pretty effective at fighting spammers in chat... well not ESO exactly but the through the UI the community was pretty successful
  • Options

EVE Online. RMT is explicitly forbidden in the EULA. Players found breaking that particular rule are promptly given a permanent IP ban. The result is purchased game currency comes directly from the parent company, farming is present but kept to a minimum resulting in both self-controlled inflation, as well as a more dynamic market, FINALLY players are not repeatedly encouraged to give cc info to websites whose only claim to legitimacy is "We probably have AD."

Ofc computer can't beat human at this.

For example, for sell black hand group(gold group), you can say experienced group or helping army in order to manipulate the addon.

But check what they posted in pe

Advertising removed by moderator. Please don't advertise gold spamming sites.

This is different story.

Thank you for revealing yourself as an RMT spammer on the forums by providing a link to your sketch website.

• Options
    drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    Not just that... a few GMs in game would be well worth the investment... to save the millions lost.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    drkbodhi wrote: »
    Not just that... a few GMs in game would be well worth the investment... to save the millions lost.

Concise. Insightful. Agrees with me. Solid +1

ALSO: I found this little gem posted by a dev last year.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/540213/third-party-web-sites
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User

EVE Online. RMT is explicitly forbidden in the EULA. Players found breaking that particular rule are promptly given a permanent IP ban. The result is purchased game currency comes directly from the parent company, farming is present but kept to a minimum resulting in both self-controlled inflation, as well as a more dynamic market, FINALLY players are not repeatedly encouraged to give cc info to websites whose only claim to legitimacy is "We probably have AD."

While I'd love less rmt, and a good filter, let's stop with the ip ban bs. I can have a new ip in seconds.

• Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Not that it matters, but Akro wasn't a dev, he was Strumslingers predecessor. For my part, I completely and totally support @drkbodhi suggestion of having a customer service rep in-game monitoring Zone, LFG and Trade channels at all times. While they're at it, they can also go to the botter hotspots (Blacklake, IWD, Shar, etc) and drop the ban hammer on any bots they spot (and they're easy to spot if you know what you're looking for). Heck, hire a few entry-level minimum wage contractors to do it part time for a few weeks and you'd see a marked improvement for relatively little investment. Use that data to show management that a full-time investment is warranted.
    EVE Online. RMT is explicitly forbidden in the EULA. Players found breaking that particular rule are promptly given a permanent IP ban.

Its explicitly forbidden in PWE's TOS as well - for what that's worth.

• Options
    Forgive me for my accusation. The conspicuious mod edit looked like a smoking gun.
    To prevent this from devolving into counterproductive accusations about respective "intelligence levels" let me move this thread back to its original subject.
    Neverwinter has a problem. RMT, and the associated spam is destructive to the game. Players find spam irritating and try to use the tools Cryptic has given us to block it. Spammers know this and use bots to create infinite spamming accounts so we will never be able to block them all. Aside from being irritating, this behavior and Cryptic's continued tolerance of it contributes to game market inflation, exposes players to potentially malicious websites, and takes income directly from the developers of the game that, I assume, we all enjoy.
    This is not a problem that needs some homebrew bandaid; it needs Cryptic to take the modicum of effort needed to improve the game for both players and themselves.
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    they could very easily ban bots with about 2 lines of code take 5 minutes to write 10 mins to test. reason why they don't is obvious - game is owned by chinese bank they use bots to launder money simple as that.
  • Options

charonus wrote:
    While I'd love less rmt, and a good filter, let's stop with the ip ban bs. I can have a new ip in seconds.

"The solution presents us with a new problem so we should do nothing." Well said. It's a well known fact that apathy makes everything better.

kvet wrote: »
    Not that it matters, but Akro wasn't a dev, he was Strumslingers predecessor. For my part, I completely and totally support @drkbodhi suggestion of having a customer service rep in-game monitoring Zone, LFG and Trade channels at all times. While they're at it, they can also go to the botter hotspots (Blacklake, IWD, Shar, etc) and drop the ban hammer on any bots they spot (and they're easy to spot if you know what you're looking for). Heck, hire a few entry-level minimum wage contractors to do it part time for a few weeks and you'd see a marked improvement for relatively little investment. Use that data to show management that a full-time investment is warranted.

Looked at Akro's profile and saw "developer" in the 3 lines of his descriptors. So, yes, my bad but probably understandable. That said: YES. I agree with everything you said here. I didn't give drkbodhi much attention because, honestly, with the "millions" comment I wasn't sure if he was being sarcastic or is just very bad at estimations. While I wasn't talking about botters to begin with, you are correct. As far as gameplay goes, they fit exactly into the same category as the RMT spammers.

kvet wrote: »
    Its explicitly forbidden in PWE's TOS as well - for what that's worth.

I played EVE for 2 years. RMT does exist, but is extraordinarily rare. Not only does ccp (The parent company) take a hard line against it, the player culture is generally adamantly against RMT and tends to be vigilant to the extreme when it comes to botters.
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    And yet still no MMO I've played till now managed to fight spam bots succesfully.

WoW had a very useful add-on called Spammenot, which blocked all gold sellers and spammers. Ah the good ole' days...
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User

I didn't give drkbodhi much attention because, honestly, with the "millions" comment I wasn't sure if he was being sarcastic or is just very bad at estimations.

You will know when I am being sarcastic... it will be pink in color. Not to mention Kvet knows me well enough to know I do not like cheaters, bots or exploiters.

ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    drkbodhi wrote: »

I didn't give drkbodhi much attention because, honestly, with the "millions" comment I wasn't sure if he was being sarcastic or is just very bad at estimations.

You will know when I am being sarcastic... it will be pink in color. Not to mention Kvet knows me well enough to know I do not like cheaters, bots or exploiters.

Good to know. I like seeing other people who are tired of tolerating botters and spammers. I would love to get enough people willing to let Cryptic know that this is a serious detriment to their product.
  • Options
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Spam is a symptom of the game providing so much botted materials, be it gold, AD or mats, that it's worth automating these tasks. If you do not have any activities that are easier as a bot to do than it is as a player, you don't have bots in your game.

I shouldn't need to say this, but "I use bots in this game because it is easy to use bots in this game." is not a problem with the game. It's a justification and an excuse on your part.

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Spam is a symptom of the game providing so much botted materials, be it gold, AD or mats, that it's worth automating these tasks. If you do not have any activities that are easier as a bot to do than it is as a player, you don't have bots in your game.

I shouldn't need to say this, but "I use bots in this game because it is easy to use bots in this game." is not a problem with the game. It's a justification and an excuse on your part.

You've totally misunderstood that post. The point was that if there is nothing that bots can sell, because they can't obtain the materials, and/or there's no market among the players, then there no reason for them to be advertising in a game either. Neverwinter is so rampant with botting and spam because the game itself has created an environment that fosters their market.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    temjiutemjiu Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited August 2015

You've totally misunderstood that post. The point was that if there is nothing that bots can sell, because they can't obtain the materials, and/or there's no market among the players, then there no reason for them to be advertising in a game either. Neverwinter is so rampant with botting and spam because the game itself has created an environment that fosters their market.

exactly. Not to overuse this example, but in Marvel Heroes...I don't think I've ever seen a botter spam ANYTHING...ever. But then again...there's nothing in that game for them to bot and sell. everything you get that's mission critical is bound, it's all your account ONLY, and the entire game is designed around providing the player with vendor options to take advantage of those drops. T

here is no market, anything that you can actually trade (that doesn't bind), is either unnecessary in the end game, or is simply not worth trading. but, there is some trading...however, it is basically "drop on ground and trust the other player" ala diablo 2 style. and most of that isn't worth anything anyways. people will often "clean house" and drop dozens of equipment right outside the storage containers...so if you hang around long enough you can even get nice stuff w/o having to do anything but say thanks!

and, ironically, there are no botters! no need to have GM's tirelessly browse chat channels and kill hundreds of bots a day, no need to make clumsy and hard to interact with interfaces to slow down bots (and players), no need to constantly have to adjust prices and crafts and artificially inflate/deflate the market. and it works. And its a f2p game. and it's still around, with quite active forums.

path of Exile is a bit different, but shares similar mechanics. There IS no currency in game, and everything you want drops pretty regularly actually. the only things of value that are trade-able are the materials you use to upgrade your items (skills really, as all your skills rely on gems you find that you level up with you). yeah....sounds allot like enchantments and relics, but it works differently. this process (and the materials) are isolated to the game. the actual cash shop is NOT involved in this process...thus the companies ability to make money is not dependent on player trading. Their cash shop is fully customization only.

But PoE is very much an indie game, with a small budget (though very nicely designed for an indie game), and thus they have more flexibility then someone like Cryptic who not only has cooperate policies and command chains to respect, but they also have to meet certain numbers for the shareholders on the top floor. but it's still a good example of an approach that works.
  • Options

I don't think I've misunderstood anything. Bots exist because they are being allowed to exist. Cryptic has made, very literally, no attempt to curtail their proliferation. Off the top of my head, farming AD then selling it for whatever USD per million has simply GOT to be copyright infringement. And if, somehow, that isn't against the EULA then Cryptic dropped the ball hard and needs to fix that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> immediately. That said, you are correct about the market aspect of the game. That I can't play a dragonborn without paying for it is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, and that it is given to buyers as an unbound in-game item is embarrassingly poor design on Cryptic's part.

• Options
    While people are willing to buy from rmt, you will never get rid of spam. Unless you bind everything which is counterproductive. Look at wow, 10+ years and they still have it, though less so lately as they throw gold at you. The only real way to stop it is for people to not buy, which brings it to the eve examples of "the community doesn't stand for it". That is the real reason assuming that that is true that eve doesn't have spam. Unless you can change the community, filters are the only thing that will reduce spam. So if you want less spam, boot anyone from your guild that you know has bought from rmt, and blacklist them, and keep asking for chat filters in the meantime.
  • Options

Thank you. That is exactly the point. The problem is a design flaw. The spam is merely a symptom of the design flaw being widely abused by bots. And judging by the increased prices of these farmers since leadership was removed from the gateway, I'd say that AD generation through leadership is a very huge design flaw. Doubly so when combined with an easy to bot/use website to manage it.
    The thing I don't get is that a bot farm would just switch to in game botting. If prices are higher I'd say it's because otherwise legit players have less ad to spend on things from the ah now. Thus the bot farms total ad income is lower.
  • Options
    charononus wrote: »

Thank you. That is exactly the point. The problem is a design flaw. The spam is merely a symptom of the design flaw being widely abused by bots. And judging by the increased prices of these farmers since leadership was removed from the gateway, I'd say that AD generation through leadership is a very huge design flaw. Doubly so when combined with an easy to bot/use website to manage it.
    The thing I don't get is that a bot farm would just switch to in game botting. If prices are higher I'd say it's because otherwise legit players have less ad to spend on things from the ah now. Thus the bot farms total ad income is lower.
    Because they cannot. Or rather, because they can't yet.
    On the website, you could just type the URL and always get the right task. Easy to bot: Alt-D, CTRL-V, Enter, move mouse to x,y coordinates, click. Easy as Dell.

In-game, you can't scroll down 2 clicks of your middle mouse button and have the same task because the amount of random rare tasks is not fixed. You need to read the task before you execute it.

You know I never noticed that it wasn't a fixed number of rares up in game. I'm going to have to look at that now.