test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Grind is so real - advice on Legendary Refinement

mercbenz360mercbenz360 Member Posts: 120 Arc User
Not that I'll be able to afford a Mark of Power any time soon, but I've gotten my main's key artifacts to purple. Now I'm zeroing in on 1 character's main hand for Legendary and it's unbelievable how much refinement it needs. Like I'd need this to be my job for a month or two and MAYBE I'd hit it. I'm running all Dragon Hoards (10%), any refinement awards like the Tiamat ones drop into this, etc. Aside from spending huge amounts of AD, how can anyone get this done? I get maybe 2 black opals a day and I'd guess at best 100k in refinement.

I don't throw purples in since I still need salvage for AD - maybe that's what I'm missing? I tried tossing one in before and it didn't seem huge, like 1k of refinement for a purple main hand. Any advice would be great.

Comments

• skeld11skeld11 Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    I've seen people with 5 legendaries right now. I assume the only way this happens is paying, doesn't seem like enough hours in the day to do it any other way.
    GWF
    -ASYLUM-
  • williamreedywilliamreedy Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    Grind like a legendary madman, get your dailies done for ADs, save up ALL corresponding pieces of gear to the piece you are levelling up, and then SIT on them until the next double refinement.... Or go nuts on Blood Rubies and still wait for double refinement.
  • skeld11skeld11 Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    Doing some figuring, during double refinement it takes about $310 worth of Blood Rubies to go to Legendary. That doesn't include AD for all the Marks needed. Wtf.
    GWF
    -ASYLUM-
  • mercbenz360mercbenz360 Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    I guess storing up for double refinement is the key then. That's a bad design loop for instant gratification and feedback, but I think you're all right.

I've also seen people with multiple legendary item which made me think I was missing something key or obvious. That may also be spend real $ I suppose.
  • tellistorterratellistorterra Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    this is why some people confuse the game as pay to win. it isn't pay to win, it's pay to convenience lol
    but yeah, this grind is going to take a while. and what's worse, there are better artifact weapons in Mod6 i hear..
  • nullvaluepointnullvaluepoint Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    Refine artifacts to level 59 then place those artifacts into artifacts of the same type. You have a 5x bonus. Which is 10x on double RP. There's also a chance for it to critical for extra RP.

Also, I heard there's a 30 second internal cool down on the refinement stone drops. I have only 5% drop rate, so it may be coincidence, but I've never seen them drop in less than 30 seconds as well.

Oh, and that wondrous chest from the vault of piety drops a peridot every time.
    Refine artifacts to level 59 then place those artifacts into artifacts of the same type. You have a 5x bonus. Which is 10x on double RP. There's also a chance for it to critical for extra RP.

Also, I heard there's a 30 second internal cool down on the refinement stone drops. I have only 5% drop rate, so it may be coincidence, but I've never seen them drop in less than 30 seconds as well.

Haha! I've been doing that chest on all my characters since I started playing. I was finally ready to turn my Great Vorp into Perfect and got a Coalescent ward from it that same morning!

Interesting - so if I sent off another artifact Main Hand via the campaign and leveled that to 59 then refined that in - would that be better?

• mikeyfliesmikeyflies Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    Running 10% for dragon hoard drop rate currently I can't say if I've had drops more frequent than 30s. That seems about right for my % vs the number of enemies killed though. I can say I've *never* had 2 drop at once or within a few seconds so I suspect you are correct with some form of cooldown. They are still fantastic additions and really pay off long term in RP.
    Yes there's definitely some form of cooldown. It also seems to compound, as I notice less and less drops the longer I play in one go. When I log back out, even for a short time, I normally get a drop on the first pull.
  • bluedoodbluedood Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    I have leveled a few artifacts to purple using spellplauge farm running 5% dragon hoard. My results have been 60k refining points per hour. Going from green to purple is right around 302k points, so with a solid grind should take you about 5 hours. Getting to legendary from green is about 3.3 million points, so just say 3 million from purple to orange. At 3 hours a day it would be a 33 day grind. (I am using approximate numbers here)

For the 5x bonus my plan is to level another artifact belt, offhand, and cloak to 59 to refine into my equipped and leveled ones. Not sure if I will save for double refine or not. With the price of artifacts dropping it might be advantageous to buy a few to bank and refine more with.

The dragon hoard percentage as I have experienced is better drops at the same 30-45 second frequency, 4% is where it became much more apparrent the enchantment was working. It would be interesting to know how much more per hour 10% nets you. I have 1 dragon hoard ready to upgrade to 2%, but would rather put greater marks into other enchantments.
  • masterwolf56masterwolf56 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    I run 6 Greater, 5 on my armor and one on my companion. No idea if it works or not on my companion. I'd like to think it does lol. Last day of double refinement I had 3 Black Opals drop in a half hour and another within the same hour. That was 4 in one hour. Overall I had 9 Black Opals drop in one sitting. Hoard enchantments should be one of the first things to buy as a player. You could buy the Blood Rubies and stuff but those are rip offs. Just buy the Lessers unless you can get a normal DH enchantment at a good price. Then rank these on your own as you have time. That's the first thing I suggest ranking up if you plan on ranking everything up. It will help you rank everything else much quicker. Last double refinement, I finished ranking up my DHs to max and ranked my cloak to Legendary. I spend more time then many people on game so your results may vary.
  • shazza53shazza53 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Note - feeding an artifact belt or cloak into the same only nets 2x the RP value (or 4x for double RP). And, the RP value of a refined belt/cloak is only a portion of what you put into it.

Artifacts are usually easier to get to Epic or Legendary because you can get 5 or 10 x the RP value, and you can use enchantments and special refining stones. dont underestimate the refining value of stacks of peridots and Rank 4 enchantments.
    Iirc you get 80% of the refining you put in. Using my approximate points value of 302k to get to purple(without actually burning the reagents to convert it), you would get 241,600 points feeding it into another artifact or 483,200 feeding into a like artifact at 2x. Well worth the 181,200 gain. Any critical success or double refining would be gravy.
  • rockstargfurockstargfu Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    bluedood wrote: »
    I have leveled a few artifacts to purple using spellplauge farm running 5% dragon hoard. My results have been 60k refining points per hour. Going from green to purple is right around 302k points, so with a solid grind should take you about 5 hours. Getting to legendary from green is about 3.3 million points, so just say 3 million from purple to orange. At 3 hours a day it would be a 33 day grind. (I am using approximate numbers here)

For the 5x bonus my plan is to level another artifact belt, offhand, and cloak to 59 to refine into my equipped and leveled ones. Not sure if I will save for double refine or not. With the price of artifacts dropping it might be advantageous to buy a few to bank and refine more with.

The dragon hoard percentage as I have experienced is better drops at the same 30-45 second frequency, 4% is where it became much more apparrent the enchantment was working. It would be interesting to know how much more per hour 10% nets you. I have 1 dragon hoard ready to upgrade to 2%, but would rather put greater marks into other enchantments.

THIS ONLY WORKS ON NORMAL ARTIFACTS THEIR IS NO BENEFIT IN DOING THIS WITH ANY EQUIPMENT
    Hope ppl read my previous post cause id hate to see ppl waste so many stones

To get 10x bonus on normal artifacts the type has to match artifact of power fed to artifact of power, union union ,stab stab. Couple that with dbl RP and you have 10x bonus

To get 10x bonus on normal artifacts the type has to match artifact of power fed to artifact of power, union union ,stab stab. Couple that with dbl RP and you have 10x bonus

You get 2x on like artifact items. It is well worth refining up and consuming in. Tested it this morning to double check. Stand by my post and am currently refining up a second off hand and belt.

• armwaldarmwald Member Posts: 117 Arc User

You get 2x on like artifact items. It is well worth refining up and consuming in. Tested it this morning to double check. Stand by my post and am currently refining up a second off hand and belt.

You are right to a point ie level 7 anything after you are losing refinement points see here

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Artifact_off-hand

It take 7,700 refinement points to get an offhand to level 8 and it is worth 3,680 x2 =7,360 points of refinement

It would only be worth it during 2x refinement.

At level 34 even with 2x refinement you would be losing 20%
  • zacoria1405zacoria1405 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    skeld11 wrote: »
    Doing some figuring, during double refinement it takes about $310 worth of Blood Rubies to go to Legendary. That doesn't include AD for all the Marks needed. Wtf.
    I saw some girl in the queue for Tiamat on Saturday and she had a blue main hand, green off hand and a green artefact. Saw her in the queue again the very next day and all 3 items were legendary! She must have spent a fortune to do this, I guess some people just have money to burn.

• patsfirepatsfire Member Posts: 833 Arc User
    I bet if Microsoft would allow Arc/Cryptic to charge us $500 for ONE artifact, I bet they would do it. And I bet some people would pay that. I say $500 because of the cost of Blood rubies/all the marks/coalescent wards.
  • luigipr31luigipr31 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    Here is what I've been doing since I dont like to grind so much.
    I go to the AH and search for All equipment Min Level: 60. Then buy everything Uncommon that has price of 100 or less. Change quality to Rare and buy everything that has price of 300 or less. Then change "equipment" search to that I have artifacts (Off Hand, Main Hand, Neck, Waist) and buy the Uncommon <200 and rare <600 and feed them respectively. This way I am paying 1:1 or less AD per RP.

Peridot is selling around1500-1800 and gives only 500 RP that is almost a 3:1 AD per RP I am selling my unbounds (to buy equipments) and saving my bounds for 2x refinement.

Any feedback with how I am doing it will be welcomed. Thanks
  • soonergmsoonergm Member Posts: 503 Arc User
    Oh I bet they would too. I don't think the spending for this game is too bad when compared to other games. There is a very popular war game for mobile devices that I played for a while and it was common for people to drop $200-$400 per week. That was common, there were bigger spenders too.
    My Toons

SoonerGM - HR Trapper
    Haven - Righteous Cleric
    Ethereal Justice - OP Paladin
    @soonergm But would you drop $500 for ONE SINGLE ARTIFACT?! lol

Heres a link with some facts, shows how much you need to put to get to any level and how much youll get back out

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Artifact_cloak

All equipment is currently the same except offhands.

Remember you start out 3000 pts ahead, so subtract that and dont mistake it for early levels giving you a boost
    armwald wrote: »

You are right to a point ie level 7 anything after you are losing refinement points see here

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Artifact_off-hand

It take 7,700 refinement points to get an offhand to level 8 and it is worth 3,680 x2 =7,360 points of refinement

It would only be worth it during 2x refinement.

At level 34 even with 2x refinement you would be losing 20%

Your still mistaken, you start out getting 3000rp

So level 8 as you described is the point at which you used up the free 3000 and started really wasting rp.

If you score a bound artifact offhand save and use for dbl rp, most belts too
  • aznly92aznly92 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    Spends hrs and hrs at the spawning pits in regular spellplague caverns and save all those refinements for a 2x event.
    GWF 3.5k i.Lvl 18.3k power, 15.8k Crit strike, 6.1k ArPen, 2.1k Rec, 66.5% Crit chance, 117.1% Crit Severity, Unbuffed
    @aznly92 How do you farm the pits if you are in a group? And I didn't know there was a regular version of Spellplague, thought it was only epic
    patsfire wrote: »
    @aznly92 How do you farm the pits if you are in a group? And I didn't know there was a regular version of Spellplague, thought it was only epic

Have to go enter the door "manually" so to speak, not in ques. Youll enter solo, and best spot i think is first boss room, has 3 pits, so just stand on center plate and kill enemies
  • kriptical1kriptical1 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    I'm really glad to have heard about spell plague, because at least it's a solid place to farm..but are their any others? Getting dizzy in here lol...
    Also...what's up with greater powers' price. Any advice for spots to farm greater? Apart from epic pirate king that is...thanks
  • kriptical1kriptical1 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    Ps: epic pirate king might have gone pear shaped.
  • xalthuxalthu Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    You can use non-epic Level 60 gear for refining also, as long as its identified. Green is 100 pts, blue 300 pts. Double if its the same type (main hand into a main hand, belt into a belt, etc.). It's not much, but if you've got spare identify scrolls, it's something.